Chapter 9

The Incompetent Idol

"If you want to join the choir," said Eunkwang to Sungjae one morning, "Why don't you join Changsub and I?"

"I guess that sounds cool," said Sungjae, "When is it?"

"This lunchtime,"

"Great, where do we meet?"

"The music room, where we practise our vocals,"


Sungjae was the first to arrive after he had his lunch. Eunkwang and Changsub were not present, so he decided to wait for several minutes, until a boy with doe eyes greeted him at the door.

"Hello, hello!" he said to Sungjae, "Welcome to the choir! What's your name?"

"Sungjae. Yook Sungjae,"

"You a first year?"

"Yes,"

"I'm Yoseob. Yang Yoseob. I'm a second year. I'm the deputy student leader of the choir. Come on in! There's plenty of friends to meet!"

Yoseob led him in warmly as he led him to a chair.

"Have a seat," he said, "Which vocal range are you most comfortable with? Tenor or bass?"

"I guess I'll try tenor,"

"Alright, you can sit next to Taekwoon. He likes to be called Leo though. And this is Jaehwan, also known as Ken,"

"Hi, Ken! Hi, Leo!" said Sungjae as he greeted.

"Hey!" said Leo, as he shook hands with Sungjae, "Is it your first time here?"

"Yup,"

"Same with us," said Ken, "I assume that you're a first year too?"

"Yup,"

"What song are we singing today?"

"I dunno, ask Yoseob,"

Sungjae raised his hand as he beckoned for Yoseob's attention.

"Yeah?"

"What song are we singing today?"

"We're singing 'Give Me Wings'. Here, have a copy of the manuscript,"

That was when Eunkwang and Changsub came rushing in.

"So sorry we're late! The lunch line was so long and...."

"That's alright," said Yoseob warmly as he grinned, "Here, have a manuscript. This is the song we'll be singing,"

"Thanks," they said as they took the seats next to Sungjae. "Would you like me to help? That looks like a heavy job you've got,"

"No, it's fine - ahhhhhhh!" Yoseob tripped and dropped the manuscripts. "No, for real, I'm fine!"

"Oh look, it's the banana doll boy," sneered a voice.

Sungjae turned around and gasped, for the voice was familiar.

"Would you please not do that, Myungsoo?" said Sungjae.

"Stop what, bowl cut Sungjae? Why don't you go and become a gagman?"

"Leave him alone!" snapped Eunkwang.

Changsub proceeded to hit L on the head with his manuscript, but L sprang up from his chair, making such a loud sound that the whole class - including the music teacher, Mr Sung was listening.

"Please sit down, all of you. I expect you to act maturely and to treat each other with respect. And that means no fighting, no foul language, and I expect punctuality from all of you. I am Sung Si-kyung, who will be leading you all in the choir this year. Here we have our student leaders, Yang Yoseob, and Yong Junhyung. Please give a warm welcome to them,"

The students bowed as the members applauded for them.

"Now, stand up please. We will do some exercises with breathing, and with our voices. We'll start at C major,"


"Well that was fun," said Sungjae as he walked out the hall with Changsub, Eunkwang, Junhyung and Yoseob.

"Glad you liked it!" said Yoseob. "What class do you have next?"

"We've got math, the worst of all. You?"

"We've got Korean class. Our form tutor is actually teaching us, Ms Shim,"

"Ms Shim?! The deputy head has a sister?"

"Oh, no, no, no," chuckled Yoseob, "Shim Su-bong. She's not even related to Shim Changmin. Let me guess, you guys have him now?"

"Yes, he's tough," 

"Well," said Junhyung, "Let me tell you this. There's no need to be afraid of him,"

"No," teased Yoseob, "Be very afraid,"

"Yoseob, don't be so mean!"

"Well, we had him in first year, what's there to expect?"

"Well, don't worry guys,"

"Really, you'll be fine. If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot us some of yours. Are you guys going solo or in a group?"

"We're with four other guys,"

"Nice," said Yoseob, "What's your group name?"

"BtoB. Born to Beat,"

"That's so neat!" 

"And original!" agreed Junhyung.

"We're with four other guys. Our group name is Beast. Are you preparing your gig for the midterm exam?"

"We haven't started yet, I'm afraid," said Eunkwang. "We don't know what to do,"

"It has to be original, right?" asked Changsub.

"Yes," said Junhyung.

"But don't worry, just choose your style and you'll be able to find what you really can do and love to do," said Yoseob.

"Oh, alright, good!" said Sungjae.

"Well," said Yoseob, "Our classroom's here, but we'll see you soon!"

"See ya!" waved Sungjae.