Ghost of the Past

Escaping Love

 

"Ghost of the Past"

 

 

“Oh come on, Go Haeun. It’s my birthday, how could you dare skip the party?” the demanding voice of Oh Sehun was heard all over the room as Haeun looked at her reflection in the mirror. She smiled as she heard his complain. Teasing Oh Sehun earned certain of satisfaction in her.

“Will you pick me up here?”

“Sure!”

“Will you send me back home as well?”

“Haeun, since when I ignored you, huh? I will pick you up, send you back home, and the most important thing, I will talk to your father if I have to.” Sehun said with a certainty in his tune.

“No need to go to that extent. If he saw you, he might as well really believe your blabbering about us dating.” Haeun shook her head lightly, taking her phone as she walked inside her dress room. It’s Friday night and she planned a night out with her friends, including the birthday boy Oh Sehun, her long time best friend since junior high school.

Her friendship with him started when they’re attending a wedding of their parents’ friends. She just wanted to eat sweet food and little boy Sehun seemed to match her style well. While the parents away, they lingering around the cakes and ice cream booth. That was when she’s in elementary school; it turned to be a very good friendship when they attended the same private school. There is a lot of news of Sehun dating her, but truth was, there’s no romance between them. Oh yeah, a lot of people doubting it, but it’s true.

Haeun was so aware about man and woman relationship. There’s no friendship between man and woman and she’s more than willing to tell him that it’s true. She never once thought about him more than just a friend and she knew that’s what he felt, because they’re once talked about it. It’s silly, because back then Haeun almost was getting attacked by unknown female from another school who has a crush on Sehun and she’s more than thrilled to get angry to him. And the confession began. He couldn’t promise her he wouldn’t fall for her but he promised her he’s going to tell her if one day he would.

But that God it never happened. Sehun remained a good friend for Haeun and Haeun being the same for him. But sometimes Sehun acted a bit out of the line, like telling her father that they’re dating, increasing her father’s hope of getting a son in law soon. And yeah, talking about her father, he’s outside, watching the television in the living room.

“I’ll see you in the club?” Haeun told Sehun and got a yes from him.

She ended the call and looked at her choice of wardrobe, a pretty sequined black dress. She decided to let her hair loose and after putting a dark eye makeup, Haeun’s ready to go to party. She took her clutch bag before she stepped down to the living room, meeting her father.

“Hi, Dad” she greeted him, kissing his cheeks as he almost fell asleep.

“Hmm. Where are you going?”

“Sehun’s birthday party,” she replied, taking a sip of his father’s green tea.

“Will he pick you up?”

“I’m taking taxi there, he will drive me home.”

“Why he’s being an lately?” her father commented with a frown.

Haeun just laughed it off. “Because we are friends, and friends don’t have to pick up each other. Friends just meet in the meeting point right away.”

Her father rolled his eyes but then smiled to her. “Don’t try so hard to make sure that you’re not a couple. I believe you.”

“Well, thanks. You’re way better than mom.” Haeun added.

“She’s asking about you. You haven’t called her, right?”

Haeun nodded. “Going to call her tomorrow.”

“Good. Next weekend we’re going to Kyoto to celebrate grandma’s birthday. Don’t forget.”

“Already book a day off, Daddy. I’m not forgetting her birthday. Now can I go?”

“I’ll be waiting here, so no matter how late you are, go home. I will wait for you.” he said as he motioned her to go for him. She kissed his cheeks once again before getting a soft peck on her forehead.

“Bye, Dad.”

“Take care, Honey.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The club turned so dark and then changed with a heavy ray of light as the DJ turned the music on in higher volume. It’s so hard to speak to each other, but it’s a club and it’s not a place to talk in Haeun’s head. She enjoyed some drinks and now, dancing like crazy with her fellow good friend Irene, her former university friend back in US. There’s a reason why Haeun asked Irene to join this party.

Oh Sehun.

Haeun noticed he’s been eyeing over her and she’s more aware than anyone that Irene felt the same. It started as a mutual meeting between them; Irene took her cousin Kang Minhyuk to the first meeting since he knew Sehun as well so there are four of them. Of course Haeun spent time talking with Minhyuk who’s been recently came back to Seoul after taking his master degree in London. And from that night, she knew that Irene and Sehun might work. It’s just that these two were so stubborn to admit their feeling. But Haeun would be more than glad to help them, so yeah, she’s so going to make these two a couple.

“You’ve been drinking a lot,” Sehun told her when Haeun took a seat next to him.

Haeun looked at Sehun with a bright smile and kissed his cheek with a deep smooch, making Sehun reluctantly moved away from her.

“Drunk. So drunk.” Sehun muttered as he made Haeun leaned to the back of the couch. “Stay here, don’t go anywhere.”

“I won’t. You’re going to drive me home anyway. I’m not that drunk, I just felt so...tired...” Haeun said, hugging one of the pillows on the couch.

Sehun just looked at her with a pity look. His birthday supposed to be fun, but his beloved best friend doing it a little too much. Haeun seemed to be knocked off, deciding to just lean to the couch. She watched Sehun talked to Irene who came with a margarita on her hand and they just started to get closer as the music got louder and louder. Haeun smiled and decided to close her eyes for a while...

But her short sleep interrupted when a soft calming sound heard on her ear.

“Haeun. Wake up.”

At first she didn’t follow what she heard, she ignored it. But then the sound called her again so she opened her eyes and she found him sitting next to her.

Kim Jongin.

Blinking her eyes several times, Haeun finally opened her eyes fully to find he’s really there.

“Jongin?” she called him.

“Hey,” he warmly greeted her, moving a bit closer to her.

“Oh I must be dreaming...” she commented, softly touching his face with the tip of her finger. “Kim Jongin...”

“You must have been so drunk to think that I’m a dream,” he responded with a sweet tune, enough to make her smiling.

“What are you doing here?” she still played with her finger, tracing the line of his face. Kim Jongin... So handsome.

Haeun touched the corner of his eyes, thing she likes the most about his facial features. She touched more of the tip of his nose, his cheek, his strong jaw, and finally, his lips. She smiled as she traced it softly.

Jongin stayed still, watching the woman did everything she wanted. It’s been a while since she looked at him like that, like she wanted him. He cupped her face as well, touching her the way she did to him.

“Are you okay?” he asked her.

Haeun mindlessly nodded, now closing her eyes once again. He realized that it’s her drinking habit. If she does not want to run away, it would be being sleepy all night, just like she did.

“Haeun,” Sehun called her, but rather than seeing Haeun sleeping he found her half lying on Jongin’s lap.

“Hey. Happy birthday” Jongin told him, giving him a bright smile.

“You made it.” Sehun responded.

“Yeah, sure. Your gift is in the receptionist, I hope it’s okay not giving it directly to you.” Jongin explained.

“Uh. It’s okay. But I think I’ll leave early.” Sehun said as he walked closer to Haeun.

“Why?”

“You see her,” Sehun answered as he looked at Haeun who’s now totally sleeping with her hand clutched to Jongin’s finger. Sehun really didn’t know what to say. This girl ruined everything. “I’ll bring her home.”

“I think I’ll do it. You can continue your party here.” Jongin stepped in, looking at Sehun.

Irene who stood next to Sehun somehow felt a need to touch Sehun’s shirt so she took the tip of it. She knew Haeun history with Jongin.  

“Jongin. Dude,” Sehun shook his head. “She’s drunk.”

“I know.” Jongin nodded.

“You should know better whatever she said in this state couldn’t be true.” Sehun said again. Jongin gave Sehun a short glance before he looked to Haeun and grasped her hand.

“Sometimes when people drunk, they're at their most honest state, Hun.” he responded, not looking away from Haeun.

“I promise her I will bring her home.” Sehun still trying to make Jongin understand.

“I will make sure that she arrived safely in her bed.”

Irene then stepped up and looked at Jongin.

“Jongin. Listen. I know you and Haeun, I care about you two. But it’s over between you two. Couldn’t you please step aside until she’s ready to see you again? She’s not even realized that you’re here, Jongin.” Irene said, sitting at the end of the couch, touching Haeun’s leg that’s covered with Sehun’s blazer.

“Guys,” Jongin said. “I don’t have any bad intension here. Haeun is my ex-girlfriend. I used to take care of her. Now that we’re friend, it wouldn’t change. I will still care for her.”

“And that’s where you are wrong, Jongin.” Irene said, making Jongin looked at her.

“She’s been through a lot,” Sehun muttered, but Jongin didn’t miss it no matter how loud this place was.

“I know.”

“You two are good as new now. Could you please just wait a little longer before you start seeing her again?”

“I’m not seeing her again,” Jongin responded. “Listen. I just want to meet her. You know...after the broke up. We’re fine now, I do believe it. If we’re going to go back together, it’s not in this state and it’s not this soon.”

“Jongin...”

Irene, Sehun, and Jongin immediately looked at Haeun who opened her eyes as she looked around.

“Jongin... I want to go home,” she said as she touched his hand, softly caressing it. Sehun really couldn’t see this view.

“Sure. We’ll go home.” he said as he helped her to wake up. Jongin put his arm around her waist as Haeun leaned to his shoulder, too drunk to even open her eyes.

“Take care of her.” Irene said softly.

“I will.”

Sehun looked at the back of Jongin and Haeun. She really just let him brought her. Sehun knew more than anyone that Jongin was not an , but seeing how they broke up... It hurt him to see her being broken like that. It’s been a year and he knew Haeun already moved on, not getting sad over it anymore. But still, he wanted her to get the best man available out there. And if Jongin’s presence would only break her heart again, he would do anything to help her to make him away from her.  

But for now, he’d just stayed still.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jongin drove his white Lexus NX around the empty road and when he’s right about to make a turn to Haeun’s apartment neighborhood, Haeun made a move from her seat. Unlike her appearance in the club, she stood up and looked way better. Jongin glanced at her with a surprise look.

“Can we stop by at the coffee shop?” she said, looking back at him with an awkward smile.

“Haeun...”

“It’s okay, Jongin. Please drive to the coffee shop,” she said to him before she looked away outside.  

Jongin kept straight to the next block and turned to the right to get to one of 24 hours coffee shop. There’s nothing being talked when he drove, Haeun only said thanks when Jongin opened the car door for her. He wanted to help her walked, but she told him that she’s fine.

It’s two in the morning, it’s normal for the coffee shop to be a bit empty. There’s only one visitor who’s browsing through his laptop. Jongin placed order for them and brought it to the table that located near the large window. He stole a glance at Haeun who still looked fuzzy and sleepy; the blush on her cheeks couldn’t hide it well.

“This is your hot chocolate,” he gave the mug to her, earning a look from Haeun. “You’re tired, you need to sleep. If you drink coffee at this time, you wouldn’t be able to sleep. And I don’t want to hear you say no about it.”

Haeun really didn’t say anything and took her mug, taking a sip of the famous hot chocolate from the shop. Jongin enjoyed his hot latte as he studied Haeun’s facial expression. She’s still not looking at him. He wondered what’s running through her mind.

Go Haeun, his beloved ex-girlfriend, remained the same just like how they broke up one and half year ago. And even to compare to the time he met her for the first time three years ago, he still thought that she looked the same. Haeun really stole his heart, too bad their relationship didn’t work the way they wished it would be.

“How are you?” Jongin asked her, placing his mug on the wooden table. For the first time since they’ve been lounging in the club, Haeun looked away from the window and faced him.

“I’m good. How about you?”

“As you can see,” Jongin replied, appointed to him. “I’m good.”

“Glad to hear that.”

It’s silent again. Haeun played with the spoon inside her mug. She glanced at Jongin who’s looking around. She was truly glad that he’s fine. The last time they met, the moment that breaking them apart, they’re so messed up. The tendency of him wanting her to be devoted to him and only him, she could take it. Of course she would be devoted to him; he didn’t have to ask her to do that. But when he started to want her only for him, limited her time with her closest friends and started to be with her every time, everywhere, she knew that it’s not healthy. Their relationship was not good to go. She found herself feeling depressed rather than happy upon being with him. She wondered what went wrong with the relationship that’s so smooth to start.

Jongin still remembered how they met. It was one of those nights when his friends asked him to join a party in the club, and Haeun happened to be invited as well. Through a mutual friend, they met. It was their first time talked to each other, but although she’s half drunk that night, he knew that he’s smitten by her. She’s the most beautiful girl he ever met, the one that really stole his attention. He didn’t even drink a drip of alcohol that night. He enjoyed those moment talking with her. And following their first meeting, a sober brunch made up for it. He’s glad that he’s not alone, she felt the same. That’s how Jongin and Haeun started as a couple.

He knew he made a mistake. He controlled her, he didn’t want her to not be around him or him be around her. The wound he had in his previous relationship was enough to drive him mad, he didn’t realize he brought it to Haeun the woman he’s truly love. But both of them knew that unless he’s fully healed from his insecure though, there’s not much future for them. And that’s why before trying to get back together, Jongin wanted to know whether there’s something changed between them post breakup.  

Haeun is an angel for Jongin. She put up so many times before she finally gave up on him. It was amazing for Jongin to see how Haeun stayed for a year in their dysfunctional relationship. And Haeun was actually the reason why he took the therapy; he wanted to be healed, and if it took him hundred hours and sessions of therapy to get healed and get back to Haeun, he’s willing to do it.

“Were you drunk back then?” Jongin suddenly asked her, breaking the silent between them.

“I was drunk, still drunk even now... But I wasn’t that bad with drink, remember?” Haeun responded, playing with the curl of her hair. Jongin remembered the feel of her hair touching his skin. He likes it the most when she kissed him with her hair fell on his shoulder. Her skin was so soft and her delicate lean body was enough to make him wanting her again and again. Jongin likes to hold on Haeun and to remember that he couldn’t do it again; he felt a short pang in his heart. It’s still hard for him to see her without wanting her to be kept only by him. She’s like a toxic for him, but he still wanted it.

“You look great. Happy with your new office?”

“Well, it’s not a new office anymore. I got used to very well with the environment. It’s nice to work with... I’m happy.” Haeun explained with a glimpse of happiness in her eyes that Jongin didn’t miss to see. She’s so pretty when she talked about things that she likes, things she’s enjoyed.

“My mother...she asked for you. She said that you’re very welcome to join a yoga session in our home,” Jongin said, smiling at Haeun. It would be a lie if he didn’t have any motive saying it and dragged her mother in the conversation.

Haeun looked at him but then smiled. “You know I can’t...”

“I wouldn’t be there. You could text me if you’re going to come. I might be outside home.” Jongin added.

“That’s your house; it’d be weird if you’re the one who should be away...” Haeun responded.

“Anything for you, Haeun.”

It created another silence in between them. It’s just slipped through his mouth, he didn’t think about the consequences. Haeun just smiled before she could say anything else.

“Thank you, Jongin.”

Jongin then looked at Haeun, thinking about how everything’s actually changed after they broke up. He focused on his work, trying to shut her off his life. It worked; he’s progressing well with his work although previously it’s been always great with her already.  But it reached a point where work couldn’t save him anymore. He knew that she’s the cure, the medicine he should be taking. But again, he could still harm her now. And he didn’t want to take the risk.

“Do you want to go home now?”

“I’ll ask my father to fetch me here; it’s quite near with my place.”

“Haeun.”

She shook her head. “No, Jongin. Let’s just be like this, do not involve our parents anymore.”

Jongin was about to open his mouth but he knew that she’s this one little stubborn girl, she wouldn’t give up. Maybe now it’s his time to give up on her.

“I’ll wait until your father arrived here,” he said but quickly added before she talked to him. “In my car. I wouldn’t appear before your father.”

And that’s how the night ended between them, with Jongin waiting in his car, watching Haeun sitting all alone in the coffee shop until her father arrived. He still looked at her like the first time he met her. Smitten. Jongin was glad that her father didn’t take that long to pick her up.

“Wait for me, Go Haeun. Wait for me.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It’s one of those weeks again when the work had been taking over Haeun’s life. Her father already back to Tokyo, staying with her mother and sisters. She’s all alone in the apartment again, but as she got used to, being alone was not something that scared her.

Eating her bagel that she bought on the cafeteria, Haeun sat at the park on the top of the building. Just like any other rooftop park, the park in her building filled with so many workers who just wanted to take a break from work. And just like she’s still fated to meet the coffee shop guy, Haeun quickly averted her glance to the tallest person in the park.

“Hi,” she said to Park Chanyeol who’s enjoying his cold beverages.

“Oh, Miss Go,” Park Chanyeol nodded politely as he flashed his usual bright smile.

Haeun let out a small laugh, realizing that the bright sun was almost competing with his smile. He must have been those guys who are really kind and polite, Haeun just could sense it.

“I think we’re in the same age? You can call me by my name. Just call me Haeun.” she let down the wall that she built last week with him.

“Well, you should call me by my name as well. Chanyeol.”

“Will do. Especially when later on I should get angry with you if there’s any pending in our project.” she playfully said as she faced Chanyeol.

He’s so tall she needed to look a little higher towards him. Today Chanyeol looked interesting in his navy shirt and black jeans, paired with a sport jacket. She noticed that the clothes was just something usual, something common, but he made it looked great. Is it really him that made it looked so well?

Chanyeol laughed at her words. He never knew that there’s a day when he could be talking like this with her. She just looked so pretty when she’s smiling or laughing. But scratch that, Chanyeol bet that her angry face would still look pretty in his eyes.

“Chanyeol?”

“Yes?”

“I really wanted to say sorry. You know, last week in the coffee shop...”

“Oh come on. How many times you’re going to talk about it?” Chanyeol rolled his eyes playfully. “It’s okay, I’ve told you right?”

Haeun knew she already apologized at him. But seriously... She really felt so embarrassed. Park Chanyeol must have been thinking that she’s so full of herself that she did that kind of gesture of rejecting him.

“This would be the last time. I just... I did just not like the idea of having a guy trying to hit on me. Oh... really, I’m sorry.” Haeun said apologetically.

Chanyeol shook his head lightly. “I have to say sorry as well for making you feeling like I was trying to flirt with you...”

If only it’s right... If only the time’s right, Haeun might consider to get to know him if he tried to flirt with her. But it’s clear now; Chanyeol was not flirting with her. It’s a misunderstanding from her side.

“So it’s clear, right? No more apology, okay?” he gave her his hand, she took it and they did a comfortable hand shake ended with a laugh in between them.

“When will the second meeting be held?” Haeun asked him, building a professional conversation between them. It’s their root, work came first.

“It’s supposed to be sometimes in the next two weeks. My developer team is still working on the dummy app to test it with your team later on. And after that we’re still need to develop the real one and also do the UAT and ...”

Haeun started to get lost in the words that came from Chanyeol’s words. It’s such a geeky words, those applications and website terms that she never knew existed. But Haeun couldn’t stop Chanyeol to talk about the thing he’s familiar with. Chanyeol was just sharing to her about his future plan for the project but since Haeun didn’t really in charge with the application testing, it’s actually made no point for Chanyeol to explain to her. But Haeun enjoyed how Chanyeol could be so talkative about this alien thing.

“We really should sit together with Baekhyun to discuss it again,” she concluded which was agreed by Chanyeol.

“By the way” Chanyeol said as he cleared his throat.

“Hmm?”

“Could you make sure that Kim Junmyeon could confirm about the platform he wished to use? He has not yet decided whether to go with only app, only website, or both of it.”

“Oh, sure. I will ask him or Baekhyun and I will ask them to contact you.”

“Or you can contact me,” Chanyeol said shortly.

“Pardon me?”

“I think you should save my number.” he said and without waiting, he started mentioning his number, making Haeun quickly took her phone to put his number on her contact list.

They talked about several other things once they’re done talking about the work. Haeun learned that Chanyeol like to use his bicycle and bike to work, things she admired from him since sweat was not something Haeun befriend to. He just laughed over her comment and left an open invitation for her to sometimes join him to bike on the weekend.

The comfortable conversation should be ended when both of their phones rang, informing them that the working time is back. Haeun and Chanyeol took the elevator together to go to their floor. It was amazing how their relationship changed from awkward to be more comfortable over a talk in the rooftop. Chanyeol stopped at his floor while Haeun still need to go few floors to get to her desk. In the 18th floor, she met Baekhyun who just happened to have a meeting with the Finance department.

“I really have a headache facing Kim Jongdae. Man, this guy is such an . Just like his boss. Gah, I don’t know what to say to my web designer agency. They haven’t got paid; it’s late for two months already. Gee...” Baekhyun told Haeun as ha covered his face with his palms.

“Isn’t Kim Jongdae nice? He’s pretty helpful.” Haeun commented. She had good experience with Jongdae, so she didn’t see any problem like what Baekhyun said.

“What? Nice? My .”

“Language, Byun.” Haeun commented with a small laugh.

“Where have you been anyway?” Baekhyun asked her, forgetting his own problem with the Finance team.

“Rooftop, taking a break.”

“Oh.”

“I met Park Chanyeol from Blue Light.”

“Mmhmm.”

“Why he doesn’t have your boss number?”

“Why do you assume like that?”

Haeun looked a bit confused at Baekhyun.

“I’m not assuming. He said that he wanted me to make sure that Manager Kim confirmed his decision whether he’s going to go with app only, website, or both.”

“You’re assuming then. He didn’t say that he didn’t have my manager number.”

“Then why he asked me to contact Manager Kim?”

Byun Baekhyun was giving Haeun his knowing sly smile.

“What did he do to you?”

“Huh?”

“What did he told you to do?”

“He gave me his number, so I could call him to inform the confirmation of the platform that’s chosen.” Haeun said.  

“Did you give your number to him?”

Haeun shook her head, a little confused with his question.

Baekhyun then put his arm around her shoulder, pulling her a little closer.

“Well. He wants you to contact him. He wants your number”

“What? No, he wanted Manager Kim number-”

“Then why didn’t he just call him directly?” Baekhyun cut her words. “For your information, Park Chanyeol and my manager are close. They used to go to the same high school, and his cousin is married to one of Manager Kim’s cousin. It’s like a fraternity between them. There’s no way he doesn’t have Kim Junmyeon’s number” Baekhyun ended his speech with a small laugh.

Haeun was left speechless, not believing what she just heard.  

“Congratulation, Go Haeun. You just got yourself a man. Enjoy.”

Haeun was still baffled when the elevator stopped at her floor while Baekhyun stepped outside. As she walked to her desk, Haeun kept thinking and trying to remember what exactly Chanyeol said. But the more she thought about it, it seemed like what Baekhyun said was true.

Was Park Chanyeol really just tried to hit on her?

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chapter 2!

Feeling excited over this new series, just because it kept running in my head. I felt like I need to write this first over my other stories. Hopefully this could be done in a short amount of time. Hope you guys enjoy it.

See you soon!

xoxo,

yuriyaa