Chapter Two: And Then There Were Five

We Are One

Yifan bit the end of the pen he held in his hand as he read through the script. Memorizing the lines and writing in notes to himself every so often in the margins. It was one of his favorite things to do when preparing for a role. Whether it was for a performance for the entire university or just for one of his classes.

This was the time he took to understand his character. The time to create something out of the lines written down in the stiff structure that was the script format. The time where he could find the nuances of what made his character tick and the time when he could really truly understand them. It was the reason he loved his major, outside of the actual performing of course, and couldn’t think of doing anything else with his life.

Yifan finished reading through the scene before setting aside the script and running the lines by himself. He’d find himself looking at the picture sitting on Luhan’s desk when he was struggling to remember a particular line. For some reason, that picture of Luhan, Minseok, and himself back in freshman year always helped him remember his troublesome lines. It was odd. He went through the lines over and over again until they flowed from his lips like song lyrics.

The buzz of his phone vibrating brought him out of his trance, and he found himself looking at the screen with a frown. He picked up the phone, slid his thumb across the screen and answered the call.

“Luhan? What?”

“Guess what?” Yifan merely waited for a second before his friend continued. “So as I was walking past the bulletin board of the Arts building I saw it. It’s time to sign up again for it. The Faceoff is in May and it’s September now. We have plenty of time to prepare this time and win first place, unlike the last couple of times.”

Yifan found his gaze falling on that picture sitting on Luhan’s desk again. It had been taken at the Faceoff in freshman year. They’d found out about the Faceoff rather late, but had still put together a performance good enough to win them second place. It had by no means been easy convincing Minseok to do it but Luhan’s pout and Yifan’s persistence had won out in the end. They’d done it every year since, always finishing second. He’d already seen the poster for the Faceoff this year, but he hadn’t mentioned it to his friends. It was their senior year and to finish second for the fourth time would be ridiculous.

“Let it go Luhan. We’re just going to end up getting second place again. Exo always gets second place at the Faceoff.” Maybe he was a little bitter about always being second place but could anyone blame him? Performing was what he wanted to do and he wanted to be the best.

“Yifan, you know we can do it this year. Exo can win first place without any doubt. We have more time now and more experience. You’ll see. And anyway I already signed up Exo as one of the groups competing so we just need to announce the members a month before the actual Faceoff.”

“Fine, but if we’re going to do this then you’re doing all the planning this year.”

“Yes! Well I’ve got to go then! Lots to plan. Bye!” Luhan hung up and Yifan leaned back in his chair. His eyes slid shut and he sighed.

Another competition meant another chance to be second place. First loser. Great.

~~

Yifan and Minseok looked up from their respective dinners when a paper, specifically a flyer, was slammed onto the table by an excited Luhan. While the newcomer took a seat and unpacked the dinner they’d bought for him, the other two looked at the flyer. Chopsticks were put down and forgotten as they read everything written.

“Wait. Auditions? Luhan I told you to plan the routine, not to cast new members.” Yifan looked up at his best friend to find him stuffing his face and struggling to swallow.

“This says all three of us will be at the auditions. You didn’t even ask us.” Minseok piped up and Luhan nodded, still trying to swallow and not having much success. “Chew Luhan then swallow.” Good old Minseok always mothering Luhan. Luhan did as told and then started talking.

“Well what I realized is that back in freshman year we lost to Super Junior. There were way more of them than us. Then some of them graduated and the others made Super Junior M. They won in sophomore year. After they were gone came along Shinee and again still more members than us. Granted only two more but it made a difference. They beat us. So if we have a bigger group, based on that logic, we’ll win. Simple.”

“You realize that the reason we’ve always been a trio is because we don’t really have friends outside of each other. I barely talk to you two as it is. Meanwhile they all won and were bigger groups because they had more friends.” Minseok said and then resumed eating. Seemingly done with his inspection of the flyer.

“Minseokie don’t be like that! Yifan has friends in theater and you have sciencey friends. Probably...I have plenty of artsy friends. We just have to spread the word and someone will audition.” Luhan looked absolutely positive about that and that was a danger sign if Yifan had ever seen one.

Luhan wasn’t going to let them get out of this. It just kept getting better and better.

~~

The first couple of people that auditioned made Yifan want to cringe but politeness kept him from doing so. He was resting his chin in his hand watching a freshman stumble his way through an English rap. Luhan on his left was taking the audition rather seriously and Minseok on his right looked as pained as Yifan felt listening to the poorly pronounced words.

As soon as the boy was done thanking them and Luhan had assured him he’d call when results were posted Yifan turned to Luhan and shook his head.

“No. All of them. Absolutely not. I rather get second place again as a trio than try and create a bigger group with any of them. We’re done here.” Yifan said beginning to rise from his seat. Luhan looked up at him unamused.

“Sit down. There are two more people on this list and we’ll give them a chance. Sit down Yifan.” Luhan waited until Yifan was back in his seat before continuing. “I’ve heard quite a lot about Do Kyungsoo. He’s supposed to be one of the best vocalists currently at this school. As for Kim Jongin, well a lot of upperclassmen say that for being a freshman he out dances everybody else.”

“Fine. Fine.” Yifan waved a hand in the direction of the door. Luhan went to let in one of the two, all the while Yifan leant back in his seat and crossed his arms. Luhan hadn’t really convinced him of anything, but if it stopped him from ranting later than so be it. He’d sit here and wait for the auditions to be over.

Luhan came back with a black haired boy who promptly handed him an iphone and speakers. The boy took his place in front of their table and Luhan retook his seat all the while looking at the phone.

“This is Kim Jongin. He’s dancing to ‘Let Out The Beast’. I’ll be playing the song now.”

Yifan was trying not to laugh at the song choice. It was definitely a very bold move on the other boy’s part, there were very few people who could pull it off. The music filled the room immediately and the atmosphere seemed to grow tense. As soon as the rap began Jongin began to move.

It was mesmerizing and before Yifan knew it he was sitting up in his seat, eyes locked on the boy in front of him. Every move was calculated and on point, on beat. The song demanded a harsh dance and Jongin delivered. A sharp snap this way. A well timed hip that way. Right. Left. Right. Left. Step. Step. Back. Forward. Constant movement that flowed effortlessly without seeming lazy in any way.

The song ended far sooner than Yifan expected. He turned to look at his friends. They looked exactly like he felt. Absolutely shocked to the core.

“Yes. You’re in. Definitely.” Yifan murmured and the boy looked pleasantly surprised.

“Thank you. I’ll call you with the details.” Luhan breathed and held out the phone and speakers. Jongin took his things, thanked them, and headed out the door. A doe eyed boy started to step in as Jongin was taking his leave. They paused to share a look before Jongin left and the other made his way to the table.  

“I’m Do Kyungsoo. I’ll be singing ‘What If’.” They nodded still rather blown away by Jongin and watched the other tap quickly on his phone and slow music filled up the room immediately. It was an immediate change of pace from Jongin’s fast pace but soon enough that was the last thing on Yifan’s mind.

Kyungsoo’s voice was...gorgeous. Luhan had a beautiful voice, one that Yifan knew could get him far but one that Luhan only used for their Faceoff competition, Kyungsoo though, he clearly used his voice. Used it all the time and it was a gift. It was by no means difficult for Yifan to accept him. Looking at his friends he could tell they’d come to the same conclusion.

“Thank you so much. You’re in. Luhan will call you with details.” Minseok spoke up as soon as the song had finished. Another round of thanks and they were alone again.

“So maybe you were right about the last two.” Yifan said hesitantly. The smug look on Luhan’s face only got bigger.

“Told you so. You should listen to me more often. Your life would be infinitely better for it.”

“Exo has five members now. Time for you to plan something big Lulu.” Minseok said while beginning to gather their things. Yifan merely stood up slowly and stayed out of the way. Luhan had shamed him and rather easily too.

Minseok was right though. Exo had five members now. Things would be different this year.