Chapter Twelve: Doctor Zhang Reporting For Duty

We Are One

 

Yixing would describe himself as a very laid back kind of guy. Other people thought he was oblivious and generally confused but that wasn’t quite true. He just preferred not to involve himself unless it absolutely mattered. Well, he could generally go about his life without getting too involved.

Take now for example, Jongdae was whining into Junmyeon’s shoulder about how he’d agreed to try out as a vocalist for Exo because Luhan had asked it of him. The pictures he’d gotten in exchange for his promise had apparently been too good to pass up on but now he was regretting it. Yixing was still trying to decide if he wanted to involve himself in this particular situation. Jongdae always found himself in trouble and Yixing preferred to pick and choose which problems to be involved in. He left the general mothering to Junmyeon, who was much better at it anyway.

“But like the pictures are so good. Sehun is a really good photographer. Ugh. I just...I’ve always said the Faceoff is for other people. I just like writing about it and making bets and  watching it happen. But like if I’m a part of it then I don’t know. Help me.”

“How am I supposed to help you? You already agreed to do it. Just do it. I mean, you love giving me headaches with your singing. Put it to some use. You’re not some tone deaf wannabe you know.” Junmyeon, while being much better at mothering, was also not the ideal comforter. It depended on his own mood, Yixing had noticed. Now was one of those times Junmyeon didn’t want to deal with his friend’s whining.

“But...but Junmyeon hyung.”

“You’re not getting anywhere by whining. Just accept the fact you screwed yourself.” Yixing murmured having decided he would give his two cents. Junmyeon didn’t seem to particularly care given the way his eyes kept straying towards his computer and away from Jongdae.

“You both at making me feel better. Just so you know.”

~~

“If I have to go watch him bellow out high notes then you need to go too. We’re his friends whether we like it or not.” Junmyeon said all the while typing rapidly on his laptop. Jongdae had given up on them comforting him and had promptly fallen asleep on his bed. Yixing had relocated to Junmyeon’s bed to relax while Junmyeon got back to the paper he should’ve finished days ago.

“Remind me why we decided to be friends with him again.”

“Because I felt bad for him and you were asleep most of the time so I needed another friend.”

“Right right. Fine I’ll go but if I fall asleep you’re not allowed to complain. There are other people there you can talk to. Like Yifan. Didn’t you two end up spending more time together after that one dinner?”

“Yes but I don’t know if I want to talk to him. He asked me what was wrong the other day and you know how I am with that kind of thing. I don’t like talking about stuff and here he comes like a total concerned goofball asking me what’s wrong. There’s a reason you’re my best friend. You’re supportive but not nosy unless you absolutely have to be. I appreciate that.” Junmyeon’s voice always gave away what he was really trying to say without saying. The whole growing up with money and manners thing didn’t stop Yixing from knowing what was up with his friend.

Junmyeon thought he knew himself best but Yixing knew better. Junmyeon was the oblivious one out of the two of them and Yixing knew it. Junmyeon liked to make his problems seem like typical ones so that no one would feel the real need to pry and he could come to terms with them on his own time. Yixing respected the approach Junmyeon took when dealing with problems, well he respected it most of the time. Sometimes, most definitely not often, Yixing didn’t respect Junmyeon’s approach and spelled things out for him. It always caught the older one by surprise.

“You are aware that your problems are not what you say they are, right? You don’t actually mind that Jongdae basically lives off your money and you don’t care that I’m usually asleep because we’ve been friends forever and you know I need my sleep. You always take on more than you should school work wise and manage to not break under the pressure. The usual problems people have don’t apply to you even if you say they do. Something else is bothering you and I’m going to assume it has something to do with Yifan or Exo because this is something new.”

There was a reason Yixing had managed to pass all his Pre-Med classes so far despite the fact he slept through maybe half of them and was well on his way to being a doctor. He paid attention to the things that mattered. Yixing was no idiot.

Junmyeon bit his lip and leant back in his desk chair. His eyes were on his computer screen but Yixing knew his focus wasn’t. The Chinese boy readjusted the multiple pillows on the bed and reclined comfortably while he waited for his friend to answer. It was only a matter of time before the word vomit started.

Three.

Two...

“Okay so maybe it does have to do with Yifan. Fine. I thought he was attractive and interesting after we shared that one dinner. I didn’t think too much about it though because I didn’t think I’d actually see him often but it's turned into seeing him outside of coincidental meetings and what with Jongdae getting us to agree to be Exo’s behind the scenes team I’ll see him more. I could see myself liking him but that’s a problem. He asked me what’s wrong. You know how much I hate that! And yes I know that I can’t hold it against him but I still kind of do because it bothers me. It annoys me so much because if that were a thing in our relationship. Well I’d be in a terrible mood more often than not.”

Yixing waited for Junmyeon to go on. He was by no means done yet.

“I hardly have the time to be thinking about this kind of thing because time doesn’t stop for anyone. Sooner rather than later I’m going to be around him more and what am I supposed to do? Ignore him? No. I’ll get to know him and then find myself in an even bigger dilemma and I don’t even want to think too much about it. I know I’m getting way ahead of myself but I can’t help it. And now here comes dumb Jongdae making promises that mean I’ll be more in charge of the work we were supposed to do together. It’s frustrating.”

Junmyeon gave his customary sigh that always signaled the end of his word vomit and Yixing considered his options. He knew what he should say but it wasn’t what Junmyeon would want to hear. Hmm... Well his friend wanted some honest advice right?

“So you like him. Kind of. You do realize there’s nothing wrong with that right? Just be normal, talk to him and if you still like him well then do something about it. But not now when you don’t even know for certain if you do like him. Considering you’re already freaking out about this one thing that bothers you about him, you might not even truly like him. Stop overthinking things you’re not even certain about. It’s stupid.”

And now Junmyeon’s eyes were focused on Yixing, the mixture of shock, awe, and contemplation in his eyes a very familiar sight to the Chinese boy. Yixing gave Junmyeon his dimpled smile and Junmyeon bit his lip to contain his own smile.

Yixing knew Junmyeon better than Junmyeon knew himself.

~~

"So this is the song. Here are the lyrics. I'll play the track for you. Pick a line to start from and we'll see how good you are when you're not drunk." Luhan said as he handed Jongdae a notebook to read from.

Yixing and Junmyeon were watching from a pair of chairs against the wall of the room where Exo rehearsed. Jongdae was auditioning and as promised they were there to support the younger boy. Given the way he was clutching the notebook, the usually cocky boy was lacking his natural swagger. It was amusing.

The rest of Exo was resting against the wall of mirrors and watching Luhan run the audition. No one said a word as the track began. The pulse of beat was immediate and constant as sounds layered on top of each other. The urge to dance along to the beat was hard to fight and Yixing found himself tapping his foot to the beat as if compromising for not dancing along.

Jongdae looked in their direction, a panic in his eyes and Yixing nodded at the other. Entirely confident that the younger could belt out the words if only he focused. Beside him Junmyeon quietly murmured an encouragement. Then Jongdae changed from a panicked little kid looking for his parents' reassurance to the usual confident guy he was. His attention on the notebook, the words came out flowing along to the music.

Jongdae had a very unique voice. It seemed to catch on the music. To float above it and simultaneously twist it to fit him. It was a voice suited to higher pitches. Something that the other vocalists present were quickly becoming aware of based on the looks on their faces. Jongdae proving himself in such a way brought a warmth to Yixing's heart. Like he was a proud parent watching his child achieve something they'd been striving for.

"Well that's final. You're definitely in." Luhan said after clearing his throat. He took the notebook away from Jongdae and nodded towards Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, if Yixing remembered correctly. "Your fellow vocalists."

"Welcome to Exo." The others chorused from their seats against the mirrors. Their expressions all containing a certain degree of satisfaction, as if they'd personally been the amazing performer not Jongdae.

Yixing would mention it to Junmyeon but not now. Little DaeDae had just been accepted and his mother would be too busy being proud to take notice.

~~

Up until now Yixing hadn't had to put his growing medical knowledge to practical use. Now though, things were different given what he'd agreed to do for Exo. Wu Yifan he discovered was a terribly clumsy guy. How he managed to dance so smoothly the past couple years was a mystery to Yixing.

Thankfully it had only been a sprain.Yixing finished wrapping it so it wouldn't get worse and then placed the prepared ice pack to alieve the ache carefully. Yifan had put on a brave face while Yixing checked his ankle but now the pout was undeniable as the pain in his ankle became something he couldn't ignore.

"I have a painkiller if you want." Yixing offered only to be rejected with a quick shake of a blond head.

"No. I can handle it. I'm the leader. I got this." Yifan assured him but the pout still gracing his lips said otherwise. Yixing considered slipping him a painkiller somehow before deciding against it. Who knew if Yifan was just being brave or had some allergy of some sort.

Besides if he planned to be a doctor he'd need to follow all the rules. It was only right.

Yixing moved on from Yifan to Jongdae. This rehearsal had ended in more than one injured member.

It was the beginning of his practical training he'd later think.

~~

A/N: It's been a month. I'm so sorry guys but school started up again and I got caught up in that and two other stories. (A Chanbaek and a HP Au with a friend. So take a look at those if you'd like.) Given how busy I'm going to be in the coming months I'm going to strive for bi-monthly updates. At the very least one update per month. Anyway enough of that, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading, subscribing, commenting, and upvoting. It means the world to me. See you all sometime in two weeks hopefully?