Everything is Sound

If Loving is Getting into His League

Chapter 4. Everything is Sound

 

“Do you ever believe things like this could happen?” he asked.

We are now on a Thai restaurant just near the lake. We ordered these spicy noodles with pumpkin sweet dessert. “I mean we didn’t know each other but then when I saw you, I just can’t stop staring at you.”

I smiled awkwardly. “Seriously Kai? You appear so tough but you seem to be having a butterfly colony on your stomach. Do you ever wonder that girls find it creepy for men to talk that way?”

He laughs. “Does it make me less manly?”

“Unfortunately, yes.” I replied with a grin on my mouth.

I’m kind of getting really comfortable with him. I don’t know, he seems harmless, after all. But I still don’t know why this guy is with me. Am I attractive? Hell no! But him? Definitely mouth-watering—I mean, handsome and... y? My inner tingle is coming out again without notice.

“So, why are you here?” he asked.

“I told you, old story.”

“No, not that story. Why are you really here in this country? Surely your parents won’t allow you to travel abroad alone at this age?”

“Oh yeah. I’m a student here...” I started and the real story brought him an intense I-don’t-believe-you-wow. Sarcastically, he threw different praises at me like “you’re so brave!” “You must be brilliant!” and so on and so forth.

“So you’re here for a vacation huh?” I asked.

“Well, for the record, I came here for teaching.”

I choke. Ugh! This is humiliating! The chilli powder ran from my mouth to my sinus gland. Did you ever wonder the feeling when a cartoon character releases fire from his nose and steam on his ear? Well this is how it feels. This is how painful it is. I feel like Shrek after eating a hideously spicy curry.

Before I knew it, I’m already in the bathroom sink with Kai. How did this happen, I didn’t know. I’m too much occupied with the imaginary steam that I’m releasing. I’m trying to cough the pain away. The powder is to powerful. Kai asked me to try to sneeze it away but it felt like the pain travels into the middle of my eyes. I can feel my tears of pain flowing. Ugh! How can this day be no less than embarrassing?

“Come on Sulli, gargle this water.” Plead Kai.

The water is cold with ice so I drink the first cup of water and the second, I tried to gargle. It was a relief. It took me at least two cups to be fine though there are still stings. I asked Kai to pay the bill immediately (we divided) so I could escape the humiliation already.

We ran away from the restaurant laughing really hard.

“I swear! I will never eat in that restaurant again! Hahaha!”

“And I will not tell you hideous things again.”

With that, I remembered. “Hey, didn’t you say you were a teaching?”

“Oh yeah, I teach but I’m not a teacher.” He replied.

“So what do you teach?”

“Dancing?”

I collapse into laughter once again. “That’s why the thought of you teaching nearly killed me!”

“Hey hey! Do I really make a bad taste for a teacher?” he pouted. Gosh! What a cute y man I want to kiss!

“You are no teacher material is what I’m saying but definitely not a bad taste. But well, yeah I admit. You are the dancing type, sir.” I winked at him.

He laughs.

“Come on.” He grabs my hand again.

“To where?” I asked.

“I’ll show you.” This time, he hugged me and trailed a kiss on my cheeks.

***

We stopped in this big open field on one side of the Hoan Kiem Lake. This field is kind of in-preparation for some kind of open mini-concert or something. Kai left me in the middle of a very-easily-spotted place then he ran towards the preparing DJ. They’re having a smooth conversation? I’m not entirely sure though. The DJ nod a few times and Kai looks ecstatic. He grabbed a microphone then ran in the middle of the stage.

Mic test. Mic. 1.2.3.4.” He cleared his throat. “Hey! This is Kai and I just want to tell this whole city that I think...” he paused. “well, you may find it a lie or mad or whatever else you might think.” Then he spotted me in the crowd. People started whispering things like “oh it’s surely a proposal” and “come on! Take a video” or “I think she’s the girl” 

“We just met this morning. And I think... believe it or not, I’m inlove.”

There. People have gone crazy. Some are screaming with giddiness. Some are leaving the place shaking their heads. And some, like me, are too dazed to even move. “Did you ever have this feeling that you finally found your soulmate?” Two of the westerner couples just beside me screamed ‘yes’ but he’s still staring at me wearing his goofy manly smile.

“Well, call me crazy and stupid but it is as if listening to rain drops; as if feeling a distinct tone; as if learning how to crawl.”

When there is love, I can't wait to talk about it
When things get rough, I like to walk with you
Or when it's night, I like to be the light that's missing
And remind you every minute of the future isn't written
Not yet

“Oh my goodness, I know this song.” I whispered to myself. People are still screaming, some rude ones “booing”, some taking videos and some singing with the song. Kai is walking towards me—a meter away from me, he started dancing. The dance that makes you think he is related to the song. His every move seems like an interpretation of the song and yet, the steps aren’t awkward—he made some classic dance routine into this groovy beat that surrounds the place. I didn’t notice he’s there already. Right in front of me, took my hand and danced me with the song.

La la la la
Let's all sing
La la la la
Laying it down
Everything is sound
La la la la
Let's all sing
La la la la
Hallelujah

“This is crazy!” I exclaimed laughing with bliss while dancing with the song. We did loads of step I don’t even know how I look and different partner-thing dance steps like twisting, hand showers, we even incorporated some jazz steps. Step-and-turn; jump-and-run; side step-and-turn, we never let go of each other’s hands. The people mostly couples are dancing with us incorporating different routines in the song. Everyone is laughing, all are enjoying. Kai is happy and for the record, for me, it’s the best.

“I realized Jason Mraz’ song would fit your taste.” He kissed me gently. “Glad I wasn’t wrong.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author's Note:

What do you think of this chapter?? Is it enough to make your butterflies go crazy or is it too meh?

Help me out of here by commenting below!

Loves!

 

-Kai Mai