008 | charmed

I See You

Sender: Kim Taehyung
hi friend thanks for letting me crash at your house.

Not a problem.  Where did you disappear to?

was mildly confused and my bro was panicking.

Ah~ you made it back home safely?

yeah (^u^)/
was i a bad drunk? can’t remember if i did anything offensive

You were fine but kind of loud.

did i wake up the scary man in the kitchen?
he asked v personal questions

Namjoon saw you?!
I specifically set an alarm to avoid such a situation…
Why does he wake up so early? TTnTT
He’s a lying liar who lies.
I’m so sorry...

well… do you want to make it up to me?

How?

i want to see you dance.

I can bring you to Thursday’s dance practice…

when and where? ^.^

 

Jungkook walks briskly towards the bus stop.  He’s meeting Taehyung at the bus stop because it was easier to arrange to meet there than to have Taehyung try to find the correct practice room in the correct building.

It’s a lie to say that Jungkook isn’t nervous or excited.  He’s a mess of emotions if he’s being honest.  He is going to have to figure out how exactly he’s going to perform without messing up.  The very thought of Taehyung has the potential to throw him off, but to have him the very same room?  He’s afraid that he’s going to trip and fall or twist an ankle or do something else completely embarrassing.

Doing anything incorrectly will leave him mortified and probably unable to face Taehyung ever again.  When Jungkook finally arrives at their bus stop, Taehyung isn’t there yet.  Jungkook takes a deep breath, taking a seat on the worn out bench to wait.  While it doesn’t relieve his anxiety at all, it does force him to think a little bit.

Luckily enough Taehyung arrives before Jungkook can begin to overthink.  He announces his arrival with a standard poke to Jungkook’s cheek. Today, Taehyung’s hair is not orange; it’s a rather pretty shade of lilac.  It’s not hidden by a hat or beanie or snapback, and it’s actually styled.  Taehyung smiles widely, waving with both hands, completely oblivious to the moment that Jungkook is having.  Jungkook thinks that Taehyung might be his new religion or something along those lines because it seems that he’s always perfect.  He can dye his hair absurd shades of the rainbow and make it seem natural.  “Hi hi.” Taehyung giggles, bringing Jungkook back to the present.

“Hey.” Jungkook manages to squeak out, blinking rapidly to help clear his mind.

“I’m ready.” Taehyung declares cutely, clasping his fingers together in front of his chest.  Jungkook nods, standing up from the bench in a slight daze.  He doesn’t manage to think of another word to say to Taehyung as he leads him down a familiar path.

Taehyung doesn’t fill in the silence, but rather stares at each passing storefront and building with childlike amazement.  Jungkook occasionally checks to make sure that Taehyung is following him.

Jungkook feels it when Taehyung places his hand on his shoulder.  When Jungkook turns his head to see what Taehyung is doing, he finds that Taehyung is walking on the curb, using Jungkook’s shoulder as a balancing tool.  His face is scrunched up in concentration as he carefully takes measured steps, his teeth buried in his plump lower lip.  “That’s cheating.” Jungkook murmurs.

It’s loud enough to draw Taehyung’s attention.  His eyes are bright and slightly mischievous; he offers an abrupt smile, “If I let go, will you catch me when I fall?”

Jungkook giggles at the absurdity, “Absolutely.”

Taehyung slowly withdraws his hand, his stance gradually becoming unsteady.  With each step, his outstretched arms wobble more, desperately trying to correct his weight distribution.  He finally topples over with a squeal, and Jungkook lurches forward to keep Taehyung from hitting the ground.

Jungkook swears it’s like something out of a movie the way that he catches Taehyung, one arm secured around his waist and the other supporting Taehyung’s shoulder.  The force of Taehyung’s fall swings them around, making it look like Jungkook is dipping Taehyung in the middle of a dance.

Jungkook finds himself looking into the eyes of a relieved, surprised Taehyung with his face close enough to smell the strawberries on Taehyung’s breath, close enough to kiss.  Jungkook is holding his breath, wondering whether or not this position is some sign from above to press a firm kiss on Taehyung’s lips.

Taehyung manages to twist out of Jungkook’s grasp before any thoughts can be acted upon, straightening himself and dusting off imaginary dirt from his pants.  He grins widely, “You caught me.”

Jungkook chuckles nervously, trying to forget all of the thoughts about kissing Taehyung, trying to forget the incidental intimacy that he’d just experienced. “Of course.” Jungkook mutters, looking down at his feet as he begins to restart the journey to practice.

Taehyung has to jog to catch up again, giving Jungkook a playful shove, elated that Jungkook had made good on his promise.

When they arrive at the practice room, Hoseok walks straight up to Jungkook, “We’re starting now.” Hoseok sees Taehyung, assessing him with a cursory glance, “Sit against the back wall.”

Jungkook smiles awkwardly at Taehyung, motioning towards the back wall as Hoseok mentioned.  He’s glad that he doesn’t have to explain Taehyung to Hoseok because he didn’t give his senior any forewarning.

Taehyung is silent for the most part during practice, giving Jungkook a wide smile and thumbs up after every single run-through.  Jungkook barely notices him, and he doesn’t mess up at all.  Taehyung audibly gasps when Jungkook completes a flip in the middle of choreography. He claps silently, but Jungkook can see the gesture in the mirror.

Taehyung actually serves as a reason to do better instead of the distraction that Jungkook had feared.  Through every arm movement and turn, each footstep feels like it’s being made to prove something to Taehyung.  Jungkook is practically one with the music, not missing a single beat.

As they finish their final run-through, Hoseok pats him on the back, “A+ effort today, you should bring friends more often.” Hoseok says it in passing, but Jungkook wonders if Taehyung is some sort of good luck charm for him.

Jungkook walks over to Taehyung who offers him a full bottle of water.  Jungkook takes a seat next to Taehyung, twisting the cap off of the cold bottle of water.  He gulps it down until the bottle is half empty.  He pants, turning to Taehyung who is smiling without cause.  “What?”

“You’re a wonderful dancer.” He whispers, amazement and something akin to adoration in his eyes.

“You can come any time if you’d like.” Jungkook offers, thinking about Hoseok’s comment.

“I’d like to come every time.” Taehyung leans forward eagerly.

“I’ll message you about them.” Jungkook nods, taking another sip of his beverage.  “The competition is next week though.”

“Competition?” Taehyung asks, suddenly too close again.

Jungkook gulps, “It’s what we’re practicing for.  We got fourth place last year.  This year we're going to do even better.”

“Can I come?” Taehyung tilts his head with curiosity and sincerity.

Jungkook nods, eyes fluttering, slightly intoxicated by the proximity of Taehyung.  Taehyung leans back to his initial position, clapping quietly with a wide grin on his face.  Jungkook would ask him to stop getting close enough to touch his heart if he didn’t like it so much.

 

___

 

 

Jimin has walked back and forth on the same four-yard stretch of sidewalk for seven minutes now.  He doesn’t quite know what to do, although he’s entirely sure that the snide desk attendant from the building is watching him.  Jimin has come to the realization that he thinks about Yoongi too much for someone who claims that he just wants to be friends.

It has been quite a while since Jimin has felt even slightly squishy inside.  The realization has blindsided Jimin in a peculiar way.  He doesn’t know what’s come over him exactly.  Sure, he feels a little bit connected to Yoongi in terms of silently powering through loneliness, but that can’t be (the only) grounds for why his heart is beating so quickly.  In few days since he watched the movie with Yoongi, his (sort of) employer has been nicer.

At this point, Jimin isn’t really sure why he looks forward to going to work anymore. At the beginning all of it was directly attribute to the fat check that would be made in his name, but now, a part of him (the size of which Jimin isn’t sure) is excited to see Yoongi.  Lunches aren’t wordless, but even when conversation stops flowing, it’s a comfortable silence instead of the suffocating awkward silence of prior meals.

Jimin checks the time on his phone; he still has a little bit of time to walk and think through his feelings.  He’s confident that his feelings are not and will not be reciprocated.  He doesn’t even think that this progression in their relationship (yes, Jimin is choosing to call it a relationship) has anything to do with him as a person.  Maybe Yoongi is just lonely and it’s nice having someone to talk at. (It doesn't stop part of him from hoping against his better judgment.)

Jimin groans, psyching himself up to just enter the building.  He bounces at little, teeth raking over his lower lip.  He chides himself internally because his lip will have an obvious swell when he enters Yoongi’s unit.  He’s been chewing on his lip since last night.  Jimin lets out a heavy sigh, forcefully pushing into the revolving door.

“Thought you were going to make a hole in the sidewalk.” The man from behind the desk comments in a mean tone.

Jimin ignores it, swiping the card and pressing the button while simultaneously trying to hang onto his nerves.  The entire elevator ride up to Yoongi’s floor consists of Jimin figuring out ways to keep Yoongi from discovering his feelings.

He tries to ignore the dread pooling in his stomach.  He steps into Yoongi’s house, greeted by no one, which is by all accounts normal.  Jimin sighs in relief, resisting the urge to mock himself, as if Yoongi would just sense that something is different.

Jimin clears his throat, taking in a deep breath to erase his worries about his feelings. Jimin sets his bag down, preparing for the tidying and cleaning of Yoongi’s house.

Jimin decides to dust first, picking up the feather duster.  The fleeting thought of a French maid crosses his mind, making him chortle because he’d look ridiculous in such an outfit.  He pauses in the middle of dusting Yoongi’s flat screen; there is a distorted version of his reflection that he wouldn’t be able to make sense of either way.  He really wouldn’t know how he would look dressed as like a French maid; maybe his face fits it.

Jimin resumes his cleaning, trying to ignore the way that his mind always came back to faces.  He does ignore for the most part, but curiosity is not something that’s easily squelched.  He knows how much of his interactions used to occur on a superficial level.  It can be hard to deny that he’s missing something that everyone else sees.  Is a celebrity that everyone talks about beautiful?  Jimin doesn’t know.  Has he/she gotten plastic surgery? Jimin doesn’t know.  Jimin hates throwing himself a pity party, but at least it’s a private event most of the time.  He gets over it because he has to, reminding himself that there's nothing wrong with him, he's just different.

Jimin heads in the direction of the kitchen because he wants to dust the tops of the cabinets. He freezes in his tracks when Yoongi and a stranger come out of the second forbidden room.  The stranger has purple hair, which is an uncommon event in any situation.

Jimin doesn’t really know what to do, nowhere in his contract does it mention where he should hide himself in the event of a houseguest.  Jimin certainly doesn’t expect the strange, lavender haired person to barrel towards him, tackling him with an unsolicited and (quite frankly) unexpected hug.  Jimin doesn’t even know where to begin with his questions as the stranger rocks him in a hug.  As he pulls away, he begins speaking, “I’ve been waiting for forever to meet you, Jimin!” The voice is much deeper than Jimin would’ve anticipated, but the sheer giddiness in his voice is rather warming. 

“Seokjin and Yoongi never told me that you were so cute!” He cries, pinching Jimin’s cheek.  He takes a deep breath, taking note of Jimin’s alarmed expression.  “Oh, right.  I’m Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.”

He sticks out his right hand, and Jimin timidly accepts it.  Yoongi clears his throat, eliciting a sigh from Taehyung.  His posture slackens as he groans, stage whispering behind a hand that faces Yoongi, “They keep saying that I ‘don’t respect personal boundaries’.  So, I guess I’m sorry. I’m a hugger.”

Jimin takes a step, looking at his feet trying to figure out what to say.  Yoongi scoffs from behind Taehyung, “You don’t respect personal boundaries.  Tae, you asked a stranger for banana milk.  Who does that?”

Jimin looks between Yoongi and Taehyung, trying to assess their body language to intuit the nature of their relationship.  Taehyung crosses his arms, “That was one time!  You sound just like Seokjin.   Also, he’s not a stranger, and I paid him back.”

“Just because he’s not a stranger now doesn’t mean you didn’t not ask a stranger for banana milk.” Yoongi exclaims, pausing to count the number of negatives that he used. He nods, waving it away, unsure that he has correctly portrayed the nature of his argument.  “The point is you asked a stranger for banana milk.”

Taehyung sighs, sass dripping from the sound, “Well Jimin, it’s been lovely meeting you.  I hope to see you again in the future, assuming that Yoongi and my beloved brother don’t run you up the wall.”  Taehyung pats Jimin’s shoulder, moving past him and towards the door.

Jimin gulps, twisting his body to wave, “Goodbye, Taehyung.”

Taehyung throws a hand in the air, waving goodbye without turning back.  Jimin is a bit shell-shocked, still unsure of what Taehyung means to Yoongi, much less his reasons for being at Yoongi’s house.  He feels a hand on his shoulder, jumping back with a hand over his heart.  Jimin pants; embarrassed that a mere touch caused him to freak out.

Yoongi chuckles nervously, “Sorry about him.  He was born without a filter or any common courtesy whatsoever.  If you couldn’t tell, he’s the one that lent me that movie that we watched.”

“Oh, the one with eclectic tastes.” Jimin says without any force behind his words.  It sounds like his soul has left his body.

“Are you okay?” Yoongi’s voice has a foreign amount of concern in his voice.

Jimin takes a deep breath, straightening up, “Yeah I’m fine.  He’s quite forward.”

Yoongi lets out a small giggle, “It’s part of his charm.  It grows on you.” Yoongi nods to himself, patting Jimin on the shoulder once more.  “Let’s eat.”

“It’s 10AM.” Jimin follows Yoongi to kitchen despite his small protest.

Yoongi opens the refrigerator, pulling out a container.  He turns toward Jimin, “Do you like strawberries?”

“Yeah.” Jimin murmurs, unsure of where Yoongi is going with this.

Yoongi sighs, collecting various things from around the kitchen, placing ingredients on the counter, “I can tell by your tone of voice that you still don’t know what I’m implying.  Taehyung dropped of some strawberries— which if you know him, it is a feat in itself that all of them managed to get here— but they came with an attachment.  Seokjin wants me to make you something to let you know that ‘I care about you’ because, even though he forced you upon me, my living space is clean.” Yoongi takes a deep breath, continuing with his explanation, “I’m only good at making crepes, so we’re having brunch, sort of.”

Jimin is slightly touched, but he doesn’t miss the bitterness in Yoongi’s voice about being “forced upon” him.  “Oh, thanks, I guess.”

Jimin sits at the table, watching as Yoongi measures out flour, butter, milk, and water.  Jimin is acutely aware that a small smile is playing on his lips as Yoongi cracks eggs into a large bowl, using a whisk to mix everything together.  Jimin wonders if there’s a look of determination or concentration, or worry or ease on his face.

Yoongi makes quick work of the crepes, and Jimin watches Yoongi’s back as he pours crepe batter onto his skillet.   Jimin mulls over his feelings, thoughts swirling around just beneath the surface.  If he could tell, would he find Yoongi’s face cute or intimidating?  There’s also a slightly unrealistic aspiration to make Yoongi want him to work here.

Jimin zones out for a little bit, only being called back to attention by the sound of a plate being set in front of him.  He looks down, and it’s a few rolled up crepes (not that that’s surprising).  It looks borderline professional, topped with a healthy amount of whipped cream and freshly sliced strawberries.

Yoongi sits across from him, clearing his throat, “I present to you crepes filled with Nutella topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.”  He offers small jazz hands as well, but they don't last very long because it's embarrassing.

Jimin stares at his plate for a while, afraid to actually eat it because it’s a gesture, albeit a forced gesture.  Jimin picks up the fork that Yoongi placed next to him, gently cutting into the crepe and piercing it with the prongs of the fork, picking up a piece of a strawberry as well.  He takes a tentative bite, unaware that Yoongi is staring at him expectantly.

It’s exactly how he expected it to taste, only better.  Maybe he’s just willing it to be more delicious because he wants to like whatever Yoongi makes, but it doesn’t matter.  He smiles, happily chewing, finally glancing at Yoongi whose posture has slackened, tension and fear purged from his form.

“It’s very yummy.” Jimin says while still chewing, covering his mouth but not his giddiness.

Yoongi clears his throat and nods, beginning to eat his own food.  Jimin continues eating; making sure that he doesn’t miss a single crumb of food, even if excited and happy noises escape his mouth every once in a while.  When he finishes, he places his fork on the plate, waiting for Yoongi to finish as well.

“You have something…” Yoongi says softly, trailing off after gesturing at his cheek.

Jimin’s face scrunches in confusion, rubbing at his cheek with the tips of his fingers.  He pulls his hand away, but nothing is on his fingers.  Yoongi sighs, leaning across the table to swipe his thumb at the corner of Jimin’s lip on the opposite side that Jimin tried to clean.

Jimin holds his breath, looking at Yoongi’s face.  He’s almost entirely sure that his own expression betrays everything about how he feels towards Yoongi.  The gesture feels too intimate for the current status of their relationship.

Yoongi pulls his hand away awkwardly, forcing a cough as he settles back in his seat.  “Got it.” He mutters, eyes glued to his empty plate.

Yoongi abruptly gets up, walking away from the table.  Jimin finally lets out the breath that got stuck in his throat.  He has a very good idea of how much of him would like to hold hands with Yoongi, and it’s a sizable portion of his heart.

 

 

a/n: i have an actual note!
taehyung & seokjin are brothers.
feedback would be cool. (sorry for missed words and typos or grammatical errors....)
thanks for subscribing and upvoting and commenting.
also, it's early! we'll just say i update once a week....