010 | competition

I See You

Namjoon knows that he wouldn’t normally do this.  In fact, if he hadn’t recently warmed up to Hoseok, he would not being doing this.  However, he has warmed up to Hoseok.  He can cook several times better than Namjoon could ever dream, and he’s taking the fact that he’s sleeping on a couch in stride.  Hoseok has been nothing but nice, and Namjoon can understand why Jungkook might have felt something towards him at one point.  (Plus, Jungkook is currently enamored with Taehyung, so he doesn't have to worry about Jungkook.  For Namjoon, the jury is still out on this Taehyung character.  A twenty-second conversation is not nearly enough for Namjoon to figure out how he feels about Taehyung.)

Namjoon walks straight past the hostess stand, not even blinking.  The hostess is obviously confused; she stalls for a moment before stumbling after him, shouting, “Sir!”

It might be his attire, or maybe it’s his soft pink hair.  Also, maybe the facial piercing and the fact that he ignored the country club rules.  He walks in a beeline, straight up to the table where Hyorin is having brunch.  He stops when he’s directly across from Hyorin, still ignoring the shouts from the hostess who wants him gone.

Hyorin seems shocked that Namjoon is standing in front of her.  She smiles awkwardly before leaning forward and speaking in a low voice, “Namjoon, what are you doing here?”

(Namjoon has known Hyorin for much longer than he has known Hoseok.  Their parents used to be friends with each other, so Namjoon spent a lot of his childhood hanging out with Hyorin.   Namjoon did not attend their wedding (not that he received an invitation); his parents and Hyorin’s parents had a falling out, and Namjoon prefers not to talk about it or acknowledge his past “relationship” with Hyorin.  That’s what makes this an even bigger deal.)  Namjoon clears his throat, “I need to speak with you.”

Hyorin pushes away from the table, rounding it and grabbing Namjoon by the arm to drag him into the empty ballroom down the hall from the dining room of the country club.  She turns to face him, crossing her arms and giving him a particularly annoyed look, “Why are you here?”

Namjoon is close to rolling his eyes, but he holds back.  He fishes a folded up flier out of his back pocket, unfolding it and handing it to Hyorin.  “Hoseok choreographed his group’s submission to this competition.  It would mean a lot to him if you come watch.”

Hyorin looks at the paper, unable to come up with anything to say expect for, “Did he ask you to give me this?” She whispers without looking up.  There’s a lot of emotion beneath her words; she puts little, if any, effort into hiding her feelings.

“No.  He doesn’t even know that we know each other.  Nor is he going to know that I came here and told you to go.  He thinks that you don’t take him or his dream seriously.  You’ve seen him dance; you know that he is good at this.” Namjoon speaks in a quiet voice, “I hate your parents, and our parents hate each other.  I don’t particularly want to hate you.  Do you want to be with Hoseok, or are you going to let your parents dictate your life?”

Hyorin still hasn’t looked up from the flier, but there’s a slight crease in her eyebrows, letting Namjoon know that she’s thinking.  She’s particularly easy to read, making Namjoon groan internally at his next course of action.  He takes a deep breath, awkwardly placing his hand on Hyorin’s shoulder, “You aren’t your parents.  Hoseok is never going to be what they want him to be, so it’s up to you.”

Namjoon withdraws him arm slowly, leaving his cousin alone in the empty ballroom.  He walks away from the ordeal with mixed feelings.  Hyorin has never been his issue.  He hopes that she does show up because she’s better than her parents.  At least he hopes she is.

 

 

 

The venue for Jungkook and Hoseok’s competition is packed full of people, and Namjoon has to hold Jimin’s hand. It’s clammy and cold, and he is squeezing Namjoon’s hand very tightly.  In an attempt to support Jungkook, Jimin insisted on coming.  He has spent the entire time holding onto Namjoon’s hand as if letting go would actually kill him.  It doesn’t bother Namjoon much, but Jimin keeps bouncing on his toes, trying to see over the rest of the crowd.

Jungkook isn’t performing yet, but Jimin has repeatedly told Namjoon that he wants a reference point to compare them to in order to be honest in evaluating Jungkook’s performance.  According to him, there can be no genuine praising or constructive criticism if he doesn’t watch the others.  Namjoon almost hugs Jimin for being ridiculously sweet and sincere, but he’s already having a rough time with all of the strangers in the room that Namjoon thinks hugging Jimin would make it worse.

They are standing firmly in the middle of the crowd, behind people that are impeding Jimin’s view.  Jungkook mentioned in passing that Taehyung would be there and to look out for him if possible.  Namjoon hasn’t seen him yet, not that he’s been looking that hard.  Somehow the music is still painfully loud, even over the hundreds of people between Namjoon and the speakers.   At the end of performances, there’s always thunderous applause.  Namjoon can’t even tell where the judges are.

It’s roughly half-an-hour into performances by the time that Jungkook and Hoseok are on.  The DJ announces it with the same enthusiasm as he announces every group.  “And now, welcome to the stage the Bulletproof Boy Scouts!”

There is a fair amount of applause, including Jimin and Namjoon. (Jimin immediately grabs Namjoon’s hand again once the applause die down.)  Their group has gained some recognition over the past few years, but it’s not as much as some of the other groups who have come to compete.

Namjoon sees that Hoseok is actually with the group instead of off to the side.  Namjoon leans down to tell Jimin what Jungkook and Hoseok are wearing so that Jimin can easily identify them.  “Jungkook is wearing the red hat, and Hoseok has ‘Dope’ written across his hoodie.” Namjoon speaks loudly into Jimin’s ear, trying to overpower the noise.

Jimin turns his head in Namjoon’s direction, not tearing his eye away from the stage, “I thought Hoseok wasn’t performing.”

“He must be filling in.  He knows everyone’s part by heart.” Namjoon replies as the beginning notes of their performance song.

There are a lot of things that Namjoon can do well.  Describing the performance unfolding before him is not one of them.  It leaves him speechless.  On top of the fact that he can’t find his words, he doesn’t know what’s happening.  It’s amazing to say the least, and he doesn’t understand what to call half of the moves that he sees.  There are fluid transitions between formations and movements as well as fancy footwork and an interesting use of joints.

There is a point where Jungkook is doing his own thing entirely, and if Namjoon has anything to say, he kills it.  By the end of the performance, Namjoon is amazed and confused at the same time.  He claps until his hands hurt, and it’s hard to hear again because this time there seems to be more and louder applause than for any of the previous performances.

The performances thereafter are just kind of a blur for Namjoon.  There might be an acute bias in his opinion, but it doesn’t change the way that the performance made him feel.

He’s holding Jimin’s hand again by the time that the judges come on stage.  They stand in front of all of the groups that competed with clipboards.  A man with frizzy hair and fake glasses takes the microphone, “First we will announce best performances, then we’ll announce best choreography.”

A female judge in a snapback takes the microphone; looking at her clipboard, “Third place for best performance is Best/Absolute/Perfect.”  There is a roar of applause as six piece group steps forward and bows.  They earn a small trophy and a small cash prize.

She clears , maintaining her slightly disinterested tone, “In second place, it’s the Bulletproof Boy Scouts.”

Hoseok bounces forward with an absurd smile on his face.  Namjoon is a little bit disappointed that they didn’t win, but if Hoseok is happy, then he’ll be happy for them. They also get a trophy and little bit more cash than third place.  The lady announces that Big Bang has won first place once again.  There is a massive amount of applause that Namjoon doesn’t quite understand.  He doesn’t even remember their performance.

The first judge takes the microphone back, “For the first time, I think ever, best choreography is not the same group as the best performance.  We are awarding best choreography to the Bulletproof Boy Scouts.”

Namjoon claps harder than he ever has before. Hoseok cries as he accepts his trophy for best choreography.  Jungkook rubs his back as he blubbers back to the rest of their group.

Jimin asks if Hoseok is crying, and all that Namjoon can do is nod.  He looks around the audience, hoping to see Hyorin.  He doesn’t, and when he can’t find her, all that he hopes is that she’s hidden in the way back of the crowd.  He doesn’t know when he came to care for Hoseok, or when he achieved friend-status, but he knows that he has.

 

___

 

 

Jungkook stares at the trophies with a triumphant smile on his face. Of course, they are in Hoseok’s hands.  Hoseok is still crying, but the loudness of his sobbing is much less than before.  It’s more like tears are quietly flowing with the occasional sniffle as they admire the trophies.

Jungkook knows that Hoseok is happy and sad at the same time. Hoseok was hoping that Hyorin would show up.  As far as they can tell, she didn’t even stop by for a second.  Hoseok has finally been recognized for his talents as a choreographer, and she didn’t see it.

Jungkook leads Hoseok out; one of the other dancers has taken the small but not insignificant check to cash it in order to divvy it up amongst the boys.  They head towards Hoseok’s car.  Jimin and Namjoon are going to meet with them there.

Jungkook checks his phone.  He didn’t see Taehyung in the crowd, but he was focused on his dance.  Plus, there were so many people in the audience with a variety of crazy hair colors.  He couldn’t peg any of the faces as Taehyung’s.  He hopes that Taehyung will text him or call to say that he was there supporting him.  Maybe he’ll even compliment Jungkook on his dancing as he has before.

Jungkook smiles to himself, even though he has no new message notifications.  Hoseok nudges him with an elbow once they’re in the car.  It’s a rare occasion for Jungkook to ride in the front passenger seat, but since Jimin and Namjoon aren’t there yet, he buckles the seatbelt immediately.

His phone buzzes, but since he’s a little to eager, he fumbles his phone once it’s out of his pocket.  He opens his SMS messenger, slightly disappointed.

Sender: KNJ (God of Destruction)
Jimin and I are stuck in the exodus from this hellish venue.  Should be there in a few minutes.

You know where the car is.

Yes.
Obviously.
Just wait.

 

Jungkook turns to Hoseok, “They’re stuck in the crowd that’s leaving. Namjoon promises it won’t be too long.”

Hoseok snorts, rolling his eyes.  He sighs deeply looking at his choreography trophy. Jungkook bites the inside of his cheek, tentative to ask about Hyorin.  In the end, he finds himself doing it anyway, “Are you going to tell her?”

Hoseok clicks his tongue, “Did you see her?”

“No.”

“What if that says everything about how she feels about me?” Hoseok laments, hitting his head against the headrest in an attempt to draw away from the dull pain in his chest.  He should be happy about his achievement, but it just feels hollow.

“Keep your chin up.” Jungkook whispers, “I’m trying to think of something vaguely applicable to multiple scenarios.  I’m not great at channeling Namjoon.”  Jungkook admits, “You love each other, so yeah.”

Hoseok laughs weakly, wiping away dried tears, “Thank you.”

Jungkook is about to brush it off as friends are supposed to do, but the back door of the car opens.  Jungkook is promptly hugged from behind with arms crushing his windpipe.

He coughs, and the arms immediately release, “Sorry Jungkook,” Jimin whispers, “You guys did so well.”

Namjoon grunts in agreement, “It was… Well, awesome, it was awesome.”  He pats Jungkook on the shoulder and does the same to Hoseok.  “Let’s go.”

Hoseok nods, shifting the car from park to reverse and pulling out of his spot.    Jimin grabs the trophies and spends the entire ride home ogling at them.  He offers several compliments on the performance and choreography.  He chokes up dramatically at some point, and Jungkook knows that it’s a loving and joking way of telling him that Jimin is truly proud of him.

 

 

 

Jungkook lands on his bed with hair still dripping water from his shower.  He towels his hair as he sits up, trying to save his pillow from unnecessary water exposure.  His shower didn’t manage to distract him from figuring whether or not Taehyung attended the performance.  He spent the entirety of his shower wishing that his phone were waterproof.

Jungkook checks his phone, pouting when there are no new messages, much less a message from Taehyung.  Jungkook curls up into fetal position, imagining what it would be like to be sharing the bed with Taehyung.  He wonders if Taehyung likes to cuddle and whether or not he prefers to be the big spoon.

He phone vibrates in his hand, and he almost drops his phone on his face in his haste to open the message application on his phone.

Sender: Kim Taehyung

ahoy!

 

Jungkook doesn’t waste any time replying, forgetting that it gives away exactly how eager he is to talk to Taehyung.

 

Aye?

would it b ok to call u?

Go for it.

 

Jungkook’s message app fades away as the incoming call screen pops up, prompting him to answer, decline, or ignore Taehyung’s call.  Jungkook hits the green button immediately, bringing his phone to his ear, “Hello?”

“Jungkook?” Taehyung’s voice is different over the phone.  It’s grainer, slightly distorted, and a little bit deeper somehow.  He sounds tired once Jungkook is done analyzing tonal differences.  Taehyung is calling him even though he’s tired too.  It softens his heart because Taehyung is proving once again that he’s perfect.

“It’s me.” Jungkook replies with his voice barely over a whisper.  It’s the first time that they’ve spoken over the phone.

There’s a pause along with a slight rustle; Jungkook wonders what Taehyung is looking at while on the phone with him.  Were they both staring at a boring ceiling, wishing that the other were next to them instead of on a phone?  Jungkook is imagining that Taehyung is lying on the bed next to him staring at the ceiling of his bedroom.  He looks at the space where Taehyung would be, smiling to himself.

Taehyung takes an audible breath, clearing his throat, “You’re amazing.”  His voice is so quiet, completely out of character.

“You were at the competition?  I couldn’t manage to spot you.” Jungkook answers, trying to explain his confusion and erase guilt about being unable to find his crush friend.

“Of course!” Taehyung’s normal volume returns, expressing a smile through the sound, “I even brought my brother.  You should have won, but I guess getting second place is good, too, since you guys were still announced and all.  Am I being biased? You’re the best Jeon Jungkook.”

“Thank you.” Jungkook replies quietly, acutely aware of the way that his cheeks are burning; it’s probably a deep red instead of a tint of pink.

“I will buy you a banana milk for showing me such a wonderful performance.  Maybe I’ll buy you two, who knows.” Taehyung promises, making Jungkook blush even more deeply because he knows his favorite type of milk.  He’s glad that Taehyung isn’t here to see the way that Jungkook reacts to his compliments and kindness.

“You don’t need to do that.” Jungkook whispers, unable to get his voice any louder.

“I want to.” Taehyung replies simply.

“Thanks then.” Jungkook bites his lower lip as if he needs to hide his smile.  Maybe Taehyung has a sixth sense and knows that he’s smiling widely.

“You must be tired.” Taehyung realizes out loud.  “I should let you sleep.”

Jungkook laughs; talking to Taehyung is like drinking an energy drink.  He could have done this all night, if not for the fact that sleep is also creeping into Taehyung’s voice.  “Thanks for calling.” He murmurs.

“Stop thanking me.  Goodnight.  Sleep tight. Kiss the bed bugs goodnight as well.” Taehyung wishes him a good night.

Jungkook snorts, “It’s ‘don’t let the bed bugs bite’.”

“Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.” Taehyung quickly brushes it off, “I wish you the sweetest of sweet dreams, dearest Jungkook.”

“Goodnight Taehyung.” Jungkook whispers, waiting for Taehyung to end the call once.  After Taehyung has hung up, exhaustion catches up with Jungkook.  He blinks, each movement slower than the last.

He groans, throwing his wet towel off of the bed.  He snuggles under the covers, grabbing a pillow to hug.  He imagines that it’s Taehyung, hugging him in a congratulatory manner for dancing so well.  His mind slips past the friendly, imaginative hug, opting to make Taehyung hug him for emotions outside of their platonic relationship.

Jungkook lets his eyes slide shut; exhaustion demanding that he goes to sleep instead of dwelling on fantasies of hugging.  He drifts off into a blissful dream state with a fresh reminder of his feelings for Taehyung.  He does dream sweet dreams, and when morning comes, he silently thanks Taehyung for sending him off to sleep.

 


a/n: uMMM better late than never?
i'm sorry for missed words and all that jazz, i'm tired.
namjoon and hyorin know each other *gasp!* (i had to rewrite that to make it less awkward and there were multiple ways they could've known each other. this is whatcha got)
 can't write dance scenes?
no yoonmin progress so sorry :( next time though. 
thanks for subscribing and upvoting.
please comment. please. pretty please?
what is this chapter?