Chapter 19

Living Famous

Hi! Chapter 19 is up! Enjoy!

==============================================================================================================

Despite of her training, Jaeyeon still found time to study. While doing schoolwork at a café, someone approached her and sat across.

 

“Yunhyeong? W-what are you doing here?” Jaeyeon eyes shot in horror. Panic took control of her.

“What are you doing here? It’s getting late.” Yunhyeong said.

“Well, I’m finishing the Keynote for my pitch for Tuesday. My whole morning is packed for training tomorrow and my whole afternoon is dedicated for class, so I don’t have time to finish it by night.” Jaeyeon explained.

“T-Training? What will you be training for?” Yunhyeong asked.

 

Oh snap! I totally forgot that I never told the boys about me training in SM. Think fast!

 

“Uh, what I meant is internship. Yeah. I’m currently training for an advertising firm. Yeah.” Jaeyeon stammered.

“Ah, I see. Well, you don’t mind me taking my coffee here, right?” Yunhyeong asked the female.

“I don’t, but people do. You’re pretty exposed.” Jaeyeon grinned.

 

The male idol looked around and found some people gushing over him. 

 

“Oh shoot!” Yunhyeong cursed and quickly pulled his hood on. Jaeyeon giggled.

“Told ya. So, what are you doing here in Starbucks, alone and sipping hot coffee in the middle of the night?” Jaeyeon asked him curiously.

“I need a little break from the guys. You know…alone time.” Yunhyeong responded.

“Had a fight with Donghyuk?” Jaeyeon assumed.

“Aniyo. Just really want to unwind and think.” Yunhyeong argued.

“Ok.” Jaeyeon nodded and continued designing her presentation.

 

After a while, Yunhyeong left the café, leaving Jaeyeon inside. Just when she took a sip off her drink, the phone beside her laptop lit up, showing a new Line message from Yunhyeong.

 

From: Song Yunhyeong

You may have to keep your eyes on articles about our little meet-up in Starbucks. You know…people may have tipped off some paparazzi and release photos of our talk.

 

Jaeyeon grabbed the device and tapped away.

 

To: Song Yunhyeong

Aight! I will keep track of it.

 

Jaeyeon’s pitch went on Tuesday morning, yet no single news article about her Starbucks run in with Yunhyeong surfaced online. She relaxed and brushed the issue out of the way, putting her focus on college and training.

 

Wednesday was training day for Jaeyeon. The girls’ manager had picked them up from the dorm and brought them to SM headquarters to make use of the trainee practice room.

 

Hana, Jeesu and Jaeyeon did some stretches as soon as they stepped into the practice room, but the three other girls—Gaeun, Hayeon and Inha were too busy fixing themselves in front of the mirror. First class was dance and the teacher was pretty good looking.

 

Hana rolled her eyes at the three girls and back to her stretches.

 

“So, how was yesterday, eonni?” Jeesu asked Jaeyeon.

“I had a presentation in the morning and two tests in two other classes. So, it was pretty much a packed day.” Jaeyeon responded.

“You going to class today?” Hana asked.

“Aniyo. We’re having a reading break. Gonna read the readings tonight instead. I wanna focus on training today.” Jaeyeon answered.

 

Jaeyeon spent the next months juggling both school and training. By May, she had officially graduated with Latin honors. Her friends from college, her group mates Hana and Jeesu and even IKON congratulated her for a job well done. She had truly deserved such honor.

 

September came, the directors called her in for a short meeting.

 

“Ms. Lee, you maybe wondering why we summoned you here, am I correct?” Director Yoon, a thirty-something-year-old, bi-spectacled and bearded man in dark blue blazer, white dress shirt, light brown trousers and brown leather shoes asked.

“Yes, director.” Jaeyeon nodded and anticipated for the explanation.

“Well, the board has been monitoring your progress in training and we had arrived into a conclusion that you are quite ready to debut. We don’t want to rush the others in their growth, so we decided to give you a solo debut first. All we need is your answer.” Another man asked.

“A s-solo d-debut?” Jaeyeon stammered.

“Yes, Ms. Lee. We have agreed that you are pretty ready to debut.” The man replied.

“Wow. T-Thank you.” Jaeyeon smiled.

“We have given your manager the details to your schedule. We know that you have school, but you also have to start preparing for your debut, so expect a tighter schedule.” Director Yoon said.

"Ok." Jaeyeon nodded.

 

When Jaeyeon got back to her practice room, she immediately delivered the news to her friends.

 

“Solo debut?” Hana squealed.

“Shh, yes. Are you gonna be okay about it?” Jaeyeon asked.

“Of course I am! I totally happy for you, Jae. You are more than ready to debut. Hell, you didn’t even need the training.” Hana cried.

“Gaeun and her posse will most likely flip when they hear about my solo debut. That just means more hell for me.” Jaeyeon groaned.

“Well, they can’t do anything about it. This is the director’s decision and you didn’t even do anything to manipulate them or something.” Hana said.

“Those girls are close minded. They wouldn’t listen to me. So, just let them be. I don’t care anymore.” Jaeyeon cried.

 

A few hours later, the news finally broke out to the three other girls.

 

“WHAT? She gets to debut before me? I’ve trained longer and this is what I get? Oh, that really dug her grave this time!” Gaeun protested.

“She had just trained for a year and now she’s debuting? This is so unfair! I’m guessing she seduced the directors.” Hayeon cried.

“That is so gonna pay for this!” Gaeun cried.

 

Jaeyeon schedule did become tighter right after that day. She had been given songs to familiarize.

 

“We still have a room for one more song. Jaeyeon-sshi, do you have any song in mind? The producers asked.

She pondered for a while and responded, “Well, I’ve written something. I never really presented it to anyone.”

“Will you let us have a look on it?” The producer asked.

“I have it in my locker. I can give it to you later, Kang PD.” Jaeyeon said.

“Ok.” The producer nodded.

 

Later that day, Jaeyeon handed the journal to the PD. He went over it and smiled.

 

“This is good. Do you mind if we hear you sing it right now?” The producer asked.

“There’s no melody yet, PD-nim. I didn’t have the time to compose.” Jaeyeon argued.

“Oh! Well, we can work on this now. What do you say?” The producer asked.

“Sure.” Jaeyeon nodded.

“You won’t mind me calling some idol members, right? Hmm, maybe Henry, Amber and Lay? Oh and Jonghyun-sshi too.” The PD asked.

“I’m ok with it.” Jaeyeon nodded.

“Great. I’ll go and talk to them.” The PD said.

 

The PD granted Jaeyeon a thirty minute break while he contacted a couple of idols. Unfortunately, both Henry and Amber were busy doing their own agenda, leaving the man with two options: SHINee’s Jonghyun or EXO’s Lay.

 

“Ah, geuraeyo? Oh. Gwaenchanayo. Ye. Ye. Kamsahamnida.” The man leaned back on his chair and closed his eyes. 

 

SHINee’s Jonghyun was busy preparing for his solo comeback, leaving him with the last option—Lay. 

 

I just hope EXO is not busy these days. I really need Lay-sshi right now to help this rookie here.

 

“Yoboseyo? Hi, this is PD Kang. I am wondering if Lay-sshi is available today?” The man asked the person on the other line.

“Yes, PD-nim. Lay-sshi is available today. What seems to be your concern, Kang PD?” The man asked.

“Well, I would like to speak to Lay-sshi about a project. We have a rookie here who is preparing for her solo debut and well, I was hoping I can talk to him about collaborating with us in her debut. We really need a composer and I think he can help us.” The PD explained.

“He is in the practice room, I suppose, Mr. Kang. I’ll go look for him and tell him to go to you.” The man on the other line replied.

“Ok. I’ll be waiting for him in my office.” The producer responded.

 

Forty-five minutes later, EXO’s Lay walked into the producer’s office.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo!” Lay walked into the room and greeted the man behind the table.

“Welcome to my office, Mr. Zhang. Please come in and have a seat.” Producer Kang greeted.

 

Lay sat across the man and crossed his leg.

 

“Mr. Kang, I was informed that you called for me. What can I do for you, sir?” Lay asked.

“Well, a female trainee is getting ready for her solo debut and we are preparing for her mini album. There’s a nice song that we picked. Unfortunately, there’s no melody yet, just the lyrics that the trainee wrote herself. So, I was wondering if you can help us compose.” PD Kang explained.

“Sure. I would really like to help. When do we start?” Lay asked.

“Hmm, at 3pm will you be available?” The man asked.

“Yes, Mr. Kang. I’m very much free right now.” Lay responded.

“Good. Maybe we can start now. I’ll just call in Ms. Lee.” PD Kang suggested.

“Sure.” Lay nodded.

 

Jaeyeon walked into the music room and greeted everyone—PD Kang and Lay. There were exchange of bows before Jaeyeon sat on one of the benches.

 

“Lay-sshi, here is the lyrics. You can go through it for a while and tell us what you think.” PD Kang said.

 

Lay read through the lyrics and his lips formed a smile. He nodded and faced the trainee and the producer.

 

“This is good.” Lay smiled. Jaeyeon’s face lit up and thanked the idol for his compliment.

 

“Although, we can add something to this. Hmm, I was thinking maybe the boy’s point of view. I can already think of a concept for the music video.” The producer suggested.

“The boy’s point of view sounds cool, PD-nim.” Lay chimed in.

“What do you say, Jaeyeon-sshi?” The PD turned to the female trainee and smiled with hopeful eyes.

“I guess we can incorporate the boy’s point of view in the lyrics.” Jaeyeon nodded.

“Great! Let’s start!” The PD cried.

 

With that, the producer, the idol and the trainee began working on the second point of view in the lyrics. Right after, they start composing the melody of the song. In the midst of the composition, the producer excused himself from the two artists to answer a phone call.

 

“Thank you for helping us, sunbaenim.” Jaeyeon thanked the male idol for his generosity.

“It’s my pleasure to help a hoobae out. Say, I’ve been informed that you’re debuting. Congratulations!” Lay smiled.

“Thank you, sunbaenim. Yes, the higher ups decided to make me debut ahead of my group. It is quite a surprise actually. I just started training last year and have less training hours than the rest do because of college and I ended up debuting before they do.” Jaeyeon explained.

“Really? That’s awesome. You must be really good.” Lay beamed.

“Well, I don’t know if I’m that good, sunbaenim. I’m just a girl with a regular talent for music.” Jaeyeon replied humbly.

“Being able to debut in just a year of training is already remarkable. Keep up the good work, Jaeyeon-sshi.” Lay smiled.

 

After working on the song for three hours, Lay went back to his lounge to take a break.

 

“So, how did the composition go?” The tallest member, Chanyeol asked.

“It was fun. Jaeyeon-sshi is a talented girl and she truly deserve to debut ahead of time.” Lay responded.

“Hold on. Did you say Jaeyeon-sshi? This is Lee Jaeyeon, right?” Chanyeol asked.

“Yeah? You know her?” Lay asked.

“Hyung, she’s the girl Baekhyun had a crush on. I can’t believe she’s here and a trainee.” Chanyeol cried.

“What a small world! She’s debuting next year with the song we’re composing now.” Lay beamed.

“She’s going solo?” Chanyeol asked.

“Uh. The management had decided to let her debut solo next year…probably sometime around January and then debut with her group later.” Lay said.

“Wow! I thought she was just a pretty face.” Chanyeol smiled.

“Well, she’s a lot different from you had just said. She is pretty and really talented too. The management is pretty impressed with her skills.” Lay said.

“Baekhyun will be really happy about this.” Chanyeol smiled brightly.

 

“So, we heard that you’re composing a song with a trainee.” Suho spoke up.

“Yeah. I am. She’s really good. We covered like half of the song in a span of two hours. The management is really impressed with her that they allowed her to debut way before her group.” Lay explained.

“Woah! She’s debuting solo?” Chen cried.

“Yeah. Chanyeol actually knew who she is. Apparently, even Baekhyun.” Lay pointed at the younger member.

“I do?” Baekhyun asked confusedly.

“Uhuh. She’s Lee Jaeyeon, if you must know.” Lay said.

 

Baekhyun and Chen’s faces brightened up.

 

“Jaeyeon-sshi? She’s a trainee here?” Chen cried.

 

Everybody turned to Chen.

 

“I bumped onto her one day and she said that she was an intern in the marketing department.” Chen explained.

“You bumped onto her and you didn’t tell me?” Baekhyun cried.

“Well, I didn’t think it was really necessary to tell you, man. She was just an intern.” Chen argued.

“Yah! You still have a crush on her?” Suho cried accusingly.

“You have a crush on her?” Xiumin chimed in.

“No. I’ve moved on. Plus, she is dating our hoobae from YG, IKON’s B.I.” Baekhyun said.

“She is?” Lay chimed.

“Yeah. Lover boy here erupted when the whole news came out.” Chen pointed at Baekhyun who rolled his eyes.

“So, you’re working with her for her debut?” Suho clarified.

“Uh. She had written the big part of the lyrics and PD-nim and I help her with the second point of view and the composition.” Lay answered.

“That’s cool. I wanna meet this infamous girl. She seems interesting.” Xiumin nodded and smiled.

 

Later that night, Jaeyeon and Hana shared a conversation about the former’s meeting with the EXO member.

 

“You’re working with EXO sunbaenim?” Hana beamed.

“Yes. PD Kang called in Lay sunbaenim to help me with the composition. He’s pretty cool and really nice too. His insights on the second point of view were pretty good.” Jaeyeon smiled.

“Aigoo! Someone’s having a little crush.” Hana teased. Jaeyeon frowned.

“I do not. I just think he’s pretty cool and really respectable.” Jaeyeon argued.

“So, will you be performing with him on your debut?” Hana asked.

“I don’t know. Not much has been discussed about my debut performance preparations.” Jaeyeon responded.

“Well, you two may just be perfect for each other.” Hana wiggled her eyebrow suggestively.

“Hana, I’m debuting in four months. I don’t have time for intra-company romance. Besides, I am not even looking for a guy as of the moment. I’m focusing on this dream.” Jaeyeon asserted.

“Whatever you say, eonni. So, what is this second point of view?” Hana grinned.

“PD nim wanted to add a guy’s point of view into the song. So far, it gave more substance to the song.” Jaeyeon explained.

“Why do you need a guy’s point of view in your song?” Hana asked.

“Well, PD nim was thinking of a duet and what better way to communicate the song better than to add the boy’s perspective. Having only one side is pretty bias. So, the three of us brainstormed on it for an hour.” Jaeyeon elaborated.

 

Two weeks later, the song line-up was finalized. Lay and Jaeyeon had finished composing the song. The latter began recording the songs included in her debut album. There were three tracks in the album. The title track is the song Jaeyeon, Lay and PD Kang composed ‘New Beginnings’.

 

01: New Beginnings

Lyrics By: Lee Jaeyeon, Zhang Yixing, Kang Daehan

Composed by: Lee Jaeyeon, Zhang Yixing, Kang Daehan

 

02: Raindrops 

Lyrics By: Kenzie

Composed by: Kenzie, Misfit

 

03: Dance Party

Lyrics By: Misfit

Composed by: Misfit

 

“PD-nim, will I be performing the title track with Lay-sshi?” Jaeyeon asked.

“I’m afraid not, but he will be playing the piano. You will be singing your song with another idol. We are still in the process of negotiation.” PD Kang responded.

“When will I record the song, PD-nim?” Jaeyeon asked.

“Next week, I suppose.” The producer answered.

 

Meanwhile, a manager chatted with his client, “Kid, PD Kang, along with the directors are asking you to do the duet with Jaeyeon-sshi. Are you up for it?”

 

The idol pondered over the offer.

 

“Hyung, do you really think I’m caught up to collaborate with Ms. Lee? Lay hyung knew the song why more than I do.” The idol asked.

“You have the best vocals in this group. I’m pretty sure your voices will blend perfectly. So, what do you say? If you aren’t taking this offer, she will be collaborating with someone else.” The older dude argued.

“I guess. Sure, I’ll do it.” The younger guy nodded and smiled.

“You will? Oh, great! I’ll inform PD-nim now.” The older man pulled his phone out and excused himself out of the room.

 

The next day, Jaeyeon hit the recording studio and rehearsed the song, prior to the actual session with her mysterious duet partner.

 

Gosh! Why am I so nervous?

 

The recording room door opened, revealing an EXO member. Jaeyeon faced the dude, gave him a warm bow and smiled brightly. 

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Jaeyeon-sshi.” The EXO member smiled.

“It’s my pleasure to see you again, Chen-sshi…I mean sunbaenim.” Jaeyeon smiled.

“Just call me ‘oppa.’” Chen smiled.

“Oppa.” Jaeyeon smiled back.

 

The pair worked on recording the song for the next hour. While taking a break, the pair chatted in the room.

 

“So, the last time I check, you’re an intern.” Chen brought up.

“I was. I worked for the whole summer but it had to end because I was starting senior year in two weeks and I had barely prepared for it. While in my internship, a director witnessed my mini-show in the office and offered to cast me in.” Jaeyeon explained.

“That’s good.” Chen smiled.

“Yeah. Initially, I did not want to take the offer because of college, but my mom made me realize my real dream. So, I took it, underwent the audition process, aced it, began training and here I am now, debuting next year. Everything is going too fast.” Jaeyeon said.

“Stressing yourself out in the midst of an already-stressful workload won’t do you good. Just have fun with it. Have the end goal in mind. It will keep you inspired to work hard to achieve your goal.” Chen smiled.

“Thank you, sunbaenim. It means a lot.” Jaeyeon nodded.

“Please just call me oppa.” Chen insisted.

 

After wrapping up the recording for the day, the two artists went their separate ways. 

 

“So, who is the lucky duet partner?” Hana asked Jaeyeon curiously.

“Chen sunbaenim.” Jaeyeon replied confidently.

“WHAT?” Hana cried and dragged the female to the corner. Confused, Jaeyeon asked her friend, “What’s wrong?”

 

“Gaeun has a huge crush on him. Ever since he helped her with something, she has not stop talking about him. Jae, you need to be careful.” Hana warned.

“Crap! She’s gonna rip my head off now. I can’t just tell PD-nim that I wanted him out of the project. It’s rude and oppa has not done anything bad to me.” Jaeyeon cried.

“Whoa! You call him ‘oppa’ now?” Hana gasped.

“He asked me to call him that way. Great! I have to face the wrath of a y group mate. Please pray for my soul.” Jaeyeon clasped her hands together and close her eyes.

 

“WHAT??!!!” A fuming Gaeun snapped.

“It’s true. PD-nim asked Chen sunbaenim if he could work with Jaeyeon eonni for her debut and he said yes. They just recorded the song.” Gaeun’s minion, Hayeon explained.

“First, she snag a solo debut before us and now she’s working with my man? This is unacceptable! I’m demanding the producers to stop whatever this is!” Gaeun cried.

“They are having the photo shoot in a week and the music video filming the following week. There is no stopping them now.” Hayeon insisted.

“We still got time.” Gaeun smirked.

“Oh, no you don’t.” Hana walked into the room with her arms crossed and lips curved into a smirk.

 

“Don’t you dare in, loser!” Gaeun warned.

“You don’t intimidate me, Jung Gaeun. Let me remind you that I am the leader here and the last time I check, Chen sunbaenim does not even know who you are. Don’t get your hopes up, honey.” Hana smirked.

“Aren’t you even a bit worried that she gets to debut before us?” Gaeun retorted.

“I am not threatened at all. You know why? I knew she deserved it fair and square. She’s a really good artist, unlike somebody here.” Hana spat.

“Are you insulting me?” Gaeun cried.

“It isn’t an insult, Gaeun. Everybody knows that you bring the group down with your epic failures. The producers are just giving you the chance to show your potentials. Before you go around and judge people, look at yourself and reflect.” Hana spat and walked away.

 

A week later, Jaeyeon and Chen were brought to their album jacket set—somewhere in Busan.

 

While taking a break from the photo shoot, Jaeyeon received a text message from a certain IKON member. 

 

From: Hanbin

Noona, are you free next Friday night?

 

Jaeyeon smiled and replied.

 

To: Hanbin

I think I am. Why? Do you have something in mind?

 

From: Hanbin

The boys and I are inviting you to our solo concert next Friday. The management sent you a ticket and a backstage pass. I think they dropped them in your mailbox. I hope you can make it. 

 

To: Hanbin

Wow! A solo concert? That’s great! Let me see if I can attend though. I’m quite busy with work and all. 

 

From: Hanbin

Ok, but I’m still looking forward to you watching, noona. See you then.

 

“Hey, you seem inspired.” Chen sat beside the trainee. She turned to him and smiled.

“Aniyo. I just received a text message from an idol friend. He is inviting me to his group’s solo concert. He really wanted me to attend.” Jaeyeon defended.

“It’s IKON’s B.I, isn’t it?” Chen replied.

“Oh, so you heard?” Jaeyeon asked.

“Baekhyun had a huge crush on you and was devastated when the news of you dating B.I hoobae came out.” Chen responded.

“Oh! B.I and I aren’t dating anymore. We decided to stay as friends.” Jaeyeon argued.

“I see, but do you still like him?” Chen asked.

 

Jaeyeon gazed at the man beside her and smiled. For the past couple of days that they’ve been working together, the female trainee had felt really comfortable with her duet partner. She had gotten to know more about him each day and found his friendliness really warm. Now, something was different. Her heart was beating rapidly whenever the male idol was around.

 

“I don’t know. We’ve not seen each other in a while and surprisingly, I don’t think about him that much anymore.” Jaeyeon admitted.

“School and training must be keeping you busy, huh?” Chen asked.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Jaeyeon nodded.

“So, are you going to that concert?” Chen asked.

“I’ll have to check my schedule. If it’s packed, I have to decline Hanbin’s invitation.” Jaeyeon responded.

 

A week later, the music video shoot took place. The pair filmed the said MV in Busan.

 

By Thursday, SM released a mysterious photo of two hands clasped together, facing a beach foreground. Fans quickly speculated that there will be a collaboration between SM artists soon.

 

@EXOvelvet: OMG! If this is Seulgi and Kai, I will celebrate! KYAHH!! >.<

 

@BaekYeon4eva: OMG! It’s Baekhyun oppa and Taeyeon eonni isn’t it? Aigoo! Please be BaekYeon! 

 

@EXOGeneration: It’s Seobaby and Hunbaby! Maknae line FTW!

 

@SuReneShipper: I bet it’s Irene eonni and Suho oppa!

 

@CertifiedChanBer: Chanyeol and Amber FTW!

 

@LuChen4eva: It’s the powerful vocal couple Luna and Chen for sure! <3

 

An hour after the mysterious photo was released, Jaeyeon’s teaser photo was uploaded through SMTOWN NOW. Wearing a mocha colored knitted dress and barefooted, she sat on the beach with her head facing the autumn beach scene. She had a small smile on her face. Beside her lied a writing on the sand that said ‘New Beginnings’ in Hangul.

 

Netizens buzzed over her teaser photo, saying that SM Entertainment had surprised everyone with an anonymous rookie female artist. She was not part of SMROOKIES line-up and there were no signs of her identity either, making everyone really curious as to who she is.

 

The first individual teaser photo was then followed by another photo of Jaeyeon but this time, her name was already on it. It was released the following day.

 

@SMstan4eva: OMG! SM is debuting a new female artist and she is really pretty! I’m stanning her now! Jaelee is such a cool name!

 

@SeulReneBabies: Will she be part of Red Velvet too? No! Five members is enough!

 

@KimHana21: She’s really pretty! Now, I wonder if she’s really good.

 

@YGstan4eva: Again with the talentless idol, SM is seriously bad at this business!

 

@DeerYoonaLove: @YGstan4eva: How can you be so sure that she’s isn’t talented? 

@SMstan4eva: @YGstan4eva: Yeah! You’re just mad that she is pretty and your idols aren’t. Before you judge someone, reflect on your actions first!

 

@JaeleeFanhere: She just made my day. She’s really pretty! I wonder who she’s collaborating with.

 

Two more photos of Jaeyeon were released within the day and slowly, she had gotten a fan base of her own. She was the trending topic in almost all SNS in Korea and Worldwide.

 

Hashtags like #SMNewFemaleArtist #Jaelee #NewBeginnings trended for the whole day.

 

At Friday, 12 pm KST, SM released the second batch of teaser photos, revealing Jaeyeon’s duet partner. Netizens, most especially EXO-Ls went wild when EXO’s main vocalist Chen appeared.

 

The male idol had a similar concept. Wearing a thick, white pull over, black skinny jeans and black boots, he sat on the sand, his eyes focus on the horizon and had a smile on his face.

 

@ChensingMachine: OMG! It’s Chen oppa!!! I couldn’t believe it!

 

@certifiedEXO-L: I can’t wait for this collaboration! This is gonna be an epic one just yet!

 

@iloveJaelee: OMG! Chen plus Jaelee equals ChenLee! I’m already loving this ship!

 

@Mrs.KimJongDae: She’s one lucky girl! She’s gonna make it big! I smell a monster rookie already!

 

@LuLu07: I thought it was gonna be Kyungsoo, but as it turns out, it’s Jongdae! OMG! I’m so excited! :)

 

More teaser photos of Chen were released within the day. Fans were still on their toes as to when the music video and the track be released. When the final teaser photo was released, the K-pop world exploded. The mysterious photo of two hands clasp together was revealed to be a photo of Jaeyeon and Chen holding onto each other’s hands as they gaze onto the beach horizon.

 

On the same day, Jaeyeon stepped out of her dorm at 5pm to attend iKON’s solo concert in Seoul. She had asked her manager to drop her off in Olympic Stadium. She walked into the arena with a water bottle, a bag of chips and a light stick on her hand. She wanted to blend into the crowd, so she purchased the official light stick from YG’s online merchandise shop. She took a seat on her designated spot and waited for the concert to begin.

 

She pulled her phone out and messaged Bobby via Line.

 

To: Bobby Kim

Hey Bob! I’m at the venue already. Looking forward to your show tonight! Fighting!

 

From: Bobby Kim

You are? That’s great! See you later. 

 

*insert smiling emoticon

 

Soon, the concert kicked off with the VCR, followed by stage pyrotechnics and then the boys emerging from the stage. was the first song that the boys performed. The crowd was roaring like thunder and the light sticks were forming a light ocean when the arena lights were deemed. 

 

A couple of songs later, B.I stepped on stage. The lights were deemed and only a spotlight was lit on him, earning cheers from fans.

 

“The next performance is a new song that I composed. This is for a very special person in my life. You know who you are. This is for you.” B.I smiled, cleared .

 

A new sound could be heard from the speakers. The song was surprisingly a ballad, a genre new to the fans and the idol rapper. B.I smiled at the crowd and began singing as soon as he was cued.

Fans waved their hands on the air and swayed their bodies from side to side as they listened to a heartfelt solo performance.

 

Tears filled Jaeyeon’s eyes as soon as specific words resonate in her hearing. The male idol wrote the song for her and the words struck her so much. It was slowly hurting her inside. The song was no way offensive, for it was actually a love song, but she felt like daggers being thrown at her. Guilt filled her inside. She had made a promise to the boy but apparently, she had broken it.

 

I-I’m s-sorry H-Hanbin. I know I made a promise but I’m sorry. From your song, I could feel that you wanted to get back together, but I don’t think we can be together anymore. I think I’m falling for Chen sunbaenim. I’m sorry. 

 

The female trainee wiped the warm tears off her eyes and continued watching with tear washed cheeks.

 

After the concert, Jaeyeon contemplated on visiting the boys backstage or not. She took a deep breath and proceed backstage. Nervous, she quietly walked down the hallway with a VIP backstage pass hanging on her neck. Then, she came across a very sweaty guy.

 

“Jaeyeon?” The guy spoke up. The female looked up and a smiley boy welcomed her eyes. She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a bear hug.

“Bob.” Jaeyeon faced the boy with red, puffy eyes.

“A-are you ok? Were you crying? What’s wrong?” The male idol bombarded her with questions of concern.

She pulled away. “I-I’m ok, Bob. I came here to surrender this VIP pass and to confess something.” Jaeyeon handed the pass tag to the boy.

“W-what are you talking about?” Bobby asked as he confusedly accepted the ID tag.

 

Jaeyeon took a deep breath and opened  “Bob, I can’t stay any longer. I knew that song was about me. I wanna face Hanbin personally but I don’t think I can. So, please relay my message to him.”

“Ok.” Bobby nodded.

“Bob, please tell Hanbin that I’m sorry. I’m sorry for not keeping the promise.” Jaeyeon explained.

 

Bobby froze. He knew about the promise that his friend and the girl before him agreed on. At the same time, he panicked because she had started to like someone else and it's not him.

 

“Y-You like someone else?” Bobby asked nervously.

“Uh, I do. He’s been making me smile everyday.” Jaeyeon nodded and smiled.

“What about Hanbin then? Do you still like him?” Bobby asked.

“I do, but not romantically. Tell him I'm sorry.” Jaeyeon sighed.

“Oh.” Bobby nodded.

“There's something else though, Bob. There’s something that I’ve been meaning to tell you and everyone else.” Jaeyeon revealed.

“What is it?” Bobby asked.

“I’ve been training to be an idol for a year now, that’s why you don’t see me often anymore.” Jaeyeon confessed.

“An idol? That’s great! I knew your talent isn’t a waste.” Bobby cried.

“Thanks and yes, I was casted and officially became a trainee in SM, last October. I’m set to debut next year. Bob, I’ve moved out of the unit a year ago and live in a dorm with other trainees now.” Jaeyeon added.

“Oh.” Bobby sighed.

“Mianhae, Bob. That’s the other reason why I can’t fulfill the promise to Hanbin. I don’t think everything will be the same as before if we resume our relationship now. Tell him I’m sorry.” Jaeyeon sobbed.

“O-ok. I’ll tell him. I’ll tell the guys too.” Bobby nodded.

“T-Thanks, Bob.” Jaeyeon smiled.

“Anytime. Hey, you should come and visit the guys for a while.” Bobby smiled.

“Mianhae, but I can’t. Manager oppa gave me a ten-minute ultimatum. It’s almost up. I gotta go. Please relay my message to Hanbin.” Jaeyeon pleaded.

 

“I’m here now. You can tell me everything” A guy chimed in. Jaeyeon faced the boy behind Bobby and awkwardly opened to speak.

“I’m sorry. I have to go. Bob, please tell him. Goodbye, guys.” Jaeyeon turned her heels and walked away from the boys, sobbing.

“Wait!” Hanbin cried and chased after her, but Bobby stopped him.

 

“Dude, stop.” Bobby pleaded.

“She just turned her back on me after I ask her a question. I need to know what she was gonna say.” Hanbin cried.

“She’s not gonna tell you about it personally, man. She asked me to relay it to you.” Bobby said.

“Why won’t she tell me face-to-face?” Hanbin argued.

“Because she’s scared, man. That stunt you pulled in the concert tonight totally made a big impact on her. That song you wrote crushed her.” Bobby said.

“What? That song was made out of my love for her. I had no bad intention.” Hanbin argued.

“I know that. That song bothered her so much because she felt so guilty.” Bobby corrected.

“Guilty?” Hanbin asked confusedly.

“Dude, she can’t keep her promise. She can’t say yes to you again because she has come to like someone else.” Bobby revealed.

“Oh.” Hanbin sulked.

“Yeah and there’s more, dude.” Bobby nodded.

“Go on.” Hanbin said lifelessly.

“She’s an SM trainee and is set to debut next year. You can’t date her not just because she likes someone else. She’s officially an SM artist now and dating her will ruin everything what you and her worked hard for your own careers.” Bobby explained.

“Damn…” Hanbin cursed.

“I’m sorry, man. I guess it’s just not meant to be.” Bobby patted his friend’s back.

 

“Hey, I thought you invited Jaeyeon. Where is she?” Eldest member Jinhwan asked.

“She left.” B.I replied and threw himself on the couch.

“What’s with the long face, hyung?” Donghyuk asked.

“She moved out of the building.” Bobby responded in behalf of his best friend.

“Moved out?” Yunhyeong chimed in.

“She’s an SM trainee, guys.” Bobby revealed.

“What?” Junhoe cried.

“She’s a trainee and set to make her debut next year. She had to move out because she needed to get along with a group.” Bobby explained.

“Why didn’t she tell us?” Jinhwan chimed in.

“I guess she was just scared that we would be mad at her for turning to SM than our company.” Bobby answered.

“Wow. I never saw this coming.” Donghyuk guffawed.

“So, what’s with hyung then?” Maknae Chanwoo asked.

“His confession song was a flop. She said no.” Bobby sighed.

“Oh. I’m sorry about that, hyung.” Chanwoo sighed and patted his friend on the back.

 

Throughout the ride back home, Jaeyeon was quiet. Fiddling with her phone, the female trainee look out from the car window and reflected on what she had done earlier.

 

Mianhae, Hanbin. It’s for the best. I can’t have you hanging onto me when things are different now. I can’t hurt you, so I have to let you go.

 

With a big weight lifted out of her, Jaeyeon’s priorities have been a lot clearer. She diligently focus on her studies and rehearsing for her upcoming solo debut. 

 

As the holidays were fast approaching. Jaeyeon spent the freezing December days indoors, practicing her off. 

 

“Hey.” A guy walked into the practice room.

 

Jaeyeon bowed at him and sat back down.

 

“You’ve been dancing since this morning. Take a break.” The guy said.

“But I still have to perfect the dance moves for the showcase.” Jaeyeon argued.

“Have lunch with me.” The guy insisted.

“But…” Jaeyeon hesitated.

“I insist. It’s the least I can do. I heard everyone in your group is going back home for the Christmas. Why don’t you go back too?” The guy asked.

“My parents are in the United States and wouldn’t be able to fly out here this year.” Jaeyeon explained.

“I guess we’re even then. The boys and I will not be able to spend the holidays with our families because of work. Hey, maybe you can spend Christmas with us. It’ll be fun.” The guy suggested.

“Are you sure about that, Chen sunbaenim?” Jaeyeon asked.

“Yes. We’ll be happy to have someone else around.” Chen smiled.

“Ok. I’ll stop by.” Jaeyeon smiled back.

 

On Christmas Eve, Jaeyeon took a cab to EXO’s dorm. She sent Chen a text message.

 

To: Chen sunbaenim

Sunbaenim, I’m on my way to your dorm building. What is your unit number?

 

From: Chen sunbaenim

Unit 2008 is dorm unit. 

 

After a while, she arrived in front of the building. She paid the cab, walked into the building and took the lift to the boys’ dorm unit. 

 

While the boys were preparing for dinner, the doorbell rang.

 

“Are we expecting somebody?” Eldest member Xiumin asked.

 

Lay sulked and went back to playing with his phone. Chen rushed out of his room and to the front door.

 

“Yah! Are we expecting someone?” Xiumin cried.

“I invited her over.” Chen smiled.

“Who?” Lay asked.

“You’ll see.” Chen smiled and unlocked the door. 

 

Jaeyeon’s smile greeted him. She then bowed at him.

 

“Please come in.” Chen smiled, opened the door wider and led her in. 

 

Jaeyeon had set her shoes aside, wore an indoor slipper provided along the doorway and walked through the hallway with the EXO member. As soon as she caught a glimpse of the other members, she gave them a bow.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo.” She greeted them. The boys greeted her back with bows.

 

The rest of beagle line stepped out of their room and froze when Jaeyeon appeared on their sight. Chanyeol dropped his phone, while Baekhyun’s jaw dropped. The two boys quickly shook their shock away and greeted her.

 

“Hi. What brings you here, Jaeyeon-sshi?” Chanyeol awkwardly asked.

 

Jaeyeon glanced at Chen and smiled.

 

“Uh, Chen sunbaenim invited me. Is it okay?” Jaeyeon responded.

“Uh, sure, yeah.” Baekhyun nodded.

“Please have a seat.” Lay ushered Jaeyeon to seat on the couch.

 

The girl awkwardly squeezed herself between Xiumin and Lay.

 

“Can someone tell Kyungsoo, Kai and Sehun to add more chicken pieces and some beer cans?” Suho ordered.

“Already on it, hyung!” Tao cried and pulled his phone out to call the three boys who were out on food errand.

“You drink beer, right, Jaeyeon-sshi?” Suho asked.

 

Jaeyeon nodded.

 

“So, what is a pretty girl doing here on Christmas Eve?” Chanyeol asked with a cheeky smile.

“Uh, the girls are off to their hometowns for the holidays, leaving me alone in the dorm. So, Chen sunbaenim invited me over.” Jaeyeon explained.

“Why aren’t you with your family, Jaeyeon-sshi?” Baekhyun asked curiously.

“They can’t exactly fly in from Los Angeles or me going back home.” Jaeyeon sighed.

“That’s too bad.” Chanyeol frowned.

“Yeah. I have not seen my parents since graduation. It’s sad that I won’t be able to spend the holidays with them, but at least I am not alone.” Jaeyeon forced a smile.

“We will make this holiday the best one for you.” Suho cried.

“Thank you. I’m looking forward to it.” Jaeyeon smiled.

 

As soon as the boys arrived, the party started. Chicken pieces were consumed out from the boxes in no time and cans of beer were emptied at the last drop.

 

“We can’t be wasted tonight.” Xiumin slurred.

“You already are, hyung.” Chanyeol chuckled.

“I’m sorry that you’d get to see that, Jaeyeon-sshi.” Chen apologized.

“It’s ok. I’ve had my share of drinking parties and it didn’t end well.” Jaeyeon admitted.

“You do?” Baekhyun asked.

“Believe me. I ended up being taken home by my hot professor.” Jaeyeon chuckled after admitting her drunk experiences.

 

The boys’ eyes shot.

 

“Oh nothing happened! He just sent me home after everyone was incapable of being the designated driver.” Jaeyeon grinned.

 

The boys heaved out a sigh of relief and giggled awkwardly.

 

“I had the worse hangover the next day. God! I never wanted to be drunk again!” Jaeyeon cried and sipped her second can of beer.

“You sure that beer won’t make you drunk?” Chanyeol asked.

“Nah. It takes me at least three cans of beer to be wasted. Two cans are nothing.” Jaeyeon said.

“Wow!” The boys gasped.

“I’ll stop as soon as I consumed every drop from this can.” Jaeyeon smiled.

 

“Three, Two, One…Merry Christmas!!” Everyone cheered.

 

After a while, Jaeyeon stood up from the couch and bowed at everyone. She thanked them for the wonderful time, dinner and called it a night.

 

“I’ll get going. Thank you so much for the invite.” Jaeyeon smiled and made her way out of the room. Chen walked her all the way to the door.

 

“Thank you so much for this, sunbaenim. It’s actually nice to hang with you guys. I’ve always thought you were a bunch of annoying and rowdy boys, but I guess I was wrong.” Jaeyeon said.

“It’s nothing. We can’t let you stay at home, alone. I can’t you let you be alone.” Chen smiled.

 

Jaeyeon blushed.

 

“I really should go. It’s really late and manager oppa isn’t picking me up. I have to catch a cab if I want to make it home before 2am.” Jaeyeon motioned out.

“I see. Well, have a great night. Be safe, ok? If something happens, just give me a call.” Chen smiled and gestured the calling sign.

“Will do. Thanks, sunbaenim.” Jaeyeon smiled and stepped out of the boys’ dorm.

 

As soon as she got back home, Jaeyeon washed up, headed to bed and off to dreamland.

 

Jaeyeon spent the new year with her friends Bohee and Mari, as her group mates were still back with their families. 

 

By the second day of the whole new year, she had began rehearsing for her debut showcase, which will be taking place the next day in SMTOWN’s COEX Artium Theatre.

 

“Hey…” A guy’s voice resonate in her ear and she quickly snapped at him.

“Annyeonghaseyo!” She greeted the black haired male who just walked into the room.

“Hey, no need to be formal with me.” The black haired dude flashed his adorable dimples.

 

Jaeyeon nodded.

 

“So, how long have you been practicing for tomorrow’s showcase?” The black haired idol asked.

“I’ve been in this room for the past two hours, rehearsing my off.” Jaeyeon replied.

“You should take a break.” The male said and gestured Jaeyeon to leave the room.

“I can’t, sunbaenim. I need to polish the dance steps.” Jaeyeon argued.

“You’re perfect already, Jaeyeon-sshi. Take a break.” The boy insisted.

“N-Ne.” Jaeyeon nodded.

 

“Do you want something to drink? My treat.” The senior artist asked.

“Uh, sure.” Jaeyeon nodded.

 

The next day, Jaeyeon was transported to COEX Artium theater for her debut showcase. It was the day of her first stage performances and admittedly, Jaeyeon was nervous as hell. She was trying to shake the nerves off by doing some vocalizations and listening to calming music. At the same time, EXO members were at the venue to support her. Baekhyun and Suho were appointed as MCs for the said show. Lay, Sehun and Kai were getting ready for their special stages with the rookie. Lastly, Chen was rehearsing with Jaeyeon in the dressing room.

 

===============================================================================================

A/N: There you have it, guys! How was it? 

Some pointers / disclaimers:

1. Yay! Our main character has graduated from college already! To clear things up, she's a digital design student in Hongik University (I don't know if there's such a course though), but she wanted to enter the advertising business (as evidenced by her working in SM Entertainment's marketing department-Creatives Team).

2. PD Kang Daehan isn't exactly a real PD. He is just some fictional character I made up. 

3. If you must know Jung Gaeun, Jang Inha and Jin Hayeon are of the same age ('98 liners). They are also original characters.

4. Jeesu here is the actual Jeesu from the SMROOKIES SR15G line up. Will edit the past chapter explaining the member line up later.

5. It looks like Bin-Jae will never be together again even after B.I dedicated a ballad song for her. For shippers out there, I am sorry. :( Chen is really my bias and I would really want the main original character to be with him hehe.

6. That's right! Jaeyeon is slowly falling for Chen. But will he like her back? We'll see! Hehe.

7. To whom do you think 'New Beginnings' is dedicated to / inspired from?

8. I don't know EXO's real dorm unit number or do they even have an apartment unit in the first place. So, I just made up a unit number.

8. Although we know that Tao may no longer be part of EXO now (even if there is no official statement from SM), I decided to let him be here. (Sorry can't let him go haha huhu T.T)

 

Thanks! Next chapter will be up soon! :)