The First Meeting

The Tales of a Murderer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took Seorin a damn long time before she could convince her manager to agree on the genre for her next book. Sora would rant about the process of gathering enough information about the man would take too long, how Yifan wasn’t even dead yet and that books about prisoners in the death row were to be written after they had actually died. She didn’t think the novelist could handle interviewing someone who would eventually be killed.

But Seorin remained resolute to write about Wu Yifan.

‘’I’m doing it.’’ Seorin repeated for the nth time, by now she sounded like a broken record to Sora.

‘’I can’t even imagine why you would want to do that! Did inspiration really come to you after reading a badly written article in some random newspaper?’’

Sora stood in front of the young writer’s desk, furiously tapping her foot onto the floor. Over the years Seorin learned that this particular action meant that the blond was annoyed. However the black haired girl would not submit to her manager as she would usually do when facing an angry Sora. A part deep inside of her wouldn’t let her.

‘’You said I was free to write about anything I wanted to, remember?’’ Seorin calmly said.

‘’I didn’t know you would come up with something like this!’’ The manager exclaimed in anger.

‘’Well I think you should’ve known by now that you can’t trust me like that.’’

‘’It was dumb of me not to think of that.’’ The older girl half-heartedly said. Her anger seemed to slowly drain away from her.

‘’This book could either be the next bestseller or a total flop. It’s a fifty-fifty chance and I, as the author, should be the judge of that. I still want to give it a chance and think outside–‘’

‘’Outside of the box yeah, yeah, I get it.’’ Sora interrupted her. She had stopped tapping her feet and Seorin saw this as a sign of victory for her. ‘’Do whatever you please to do. Just don’t expect me to stick around to help you when this books ruins your career. I only put up with a brat like you because of the money you make for me.’’

Seorin showed her a childlike grin. ‘’A couple years ago you would’ve never allow me to do something like this. You must really like me!’’

Sora looked startled at the younger ones words.

‘’I do not!’’ She stated indignantly. ‘’How did you even come to that conclusion?! Whatever, I’m going home. You better start writing or do something productive while I’m gone.’’ With that she stormed out of the room.

‘’Goodbye, my best friend!’’ Seorin teasingly yelled after her retreating form.

The blond slammed the door violently shut. Seorin chuckled at that and stood out of her chair, stretching her hands in front of her. She made her way to the kitchen. The only thing on her mind at the moment was food.

 

 

Seorin stared at the prison through the tinted windows of her manager’s car. It was exactly how she had imagined it to look like. Barbed wire fence, windows with bars and a huge square building painted in a depressing grey colour. Sora parked her car under the shade of a row of trees next to a couple other cars.

This place was completely separated from the city and buried between two hills, making the prison seem desolated. Escapists could be spotted for miles although Seorin thought it was unlikely there would be any escape attempts in this day and age.

‘’Just standing here alone makes me feel as if I have done something wrong.’’ The younger one said with chuckle to Sora.

Sora laughed in response as she slammed the door of her car shut and locked the doors.

‘’This reminds me of a movie set.’’ Sora yawned, the long car ride had been exhausting.

‘’I think this place would be too depressing even for cinema.’’ Seorin said. ‘’And there are no prisoners in orange jumpsuits outside. There are always prisoners in orange jumpsuits in the movies.’’

As if on cue an ear deafening alarm sounded and a swarm of inmates dressed in orange flooded out onto the prison compound.

‘’Well, it seems like your wish got fulfilled.’’ Sora laughed sardonically as she headed towards the entrance. Seorin could only shake her head in bewilderment as she ran in order to catch up with the other girl.

A few inmates glanced in their direction, showing interest in the two strangers who were in front of the building. Most of them had tattoos on their bodies but all of them looked equally dangerous. They were the kind of men that would make Seorin turn around and walk in the opposite direction on a sidewalk if she would happen to spot one. She could only hope that Yifan was not like the other inmates who were meaninglessly loitering inside the fence. From the picture in the newspaper she would say that he seemed like a decent person.

Upon entering the prison they had to pass through a metal detector and be searched through very thoroughly. The men in uniform asked them for their names, passport and reason of visit.

‘’My name is Moon Sora, I called a couple days ago about my visit.’’ Sora told the one who seemed to look like he had more authority. The man nodded in recognition.

‘’Please follow me. The warden would like to talk to you.’’ He walked towards the corridor on the right and they came into a spacious and white hall. Seorin walked behind the older girl and noticed that everything on the inside of the building was painted white; the walls, ceiling, floor and even the lamps. There was too much white. It wasn’t even a peaceful kind of white but a white that seemed to suffocate whoever walked through this place.

Seorin wanted to run back outside and would rather have the piercing eyes of the criminals on her than stay inside this place any longer. If it wasn’t for Sora’s bright flashy clothing she was sure that was exactly what she would’ve done.

They stopped in front of an officer door which had the same white colour as the rest of the place. There was a piece of frosted glass centred in the middle of the door with bold black letters that read ‘Warden’. The guard knocked three times on the door before entering and holding the door open.

‘’Stay outside. I’ll handle this.’’ Sora mumbled to Seorin and the novelist could only nod. She was glad that her manager could handle all the formalities and business instead of her. She took seat in one of the chairs next to the door. The office door was shut closed and the girl was left all alone in the hall.

She passed the time by making up possible scenarios of what could happen between her and Yifan. She had predicted that the prisoner would disagree to talk to her but to her surprised he agreed to meeting her when Sora called the prison to arrange a meeting.

Seorin was high on caffeine and feeling nervous about meeting this guy. How was she supposed to act around him, a criminal, a murderer? She was hoping that with every meeting it would become easier for her but the first meeting would be the most important one and was definitely going to be the most nerve wracking as well.

If Yifan was to refuse to meet her then that was the end of her book and possibly even for her career as she had formed an obsession with writing the book. She knew that if she was unable to publish it then she wouldn’t be able to write another novel again.

The door suddenly opened, startling Seorin out of her train of thoughts and causing her to immediately stand up from her seat. She saw Sora with a slight annoyed expression. The security guard followed behind the manager and closed the door.

‘’Your visit with Wu Yifan has been arranged.’’ The guard told her, ‘’Since he isn’t allowed to leave you will have to meet him by his cell.’’

‘’Ah, sure. What about my manager?’’ Seorin asked.

‘’I’m afraid we can’t allow Sora-sshi to go in there with you. We already bent the rules far too much. Allowing two people to visit him would be too much. She’ll be waiting for you at the entrance until you are done.

‘’Thank you so much for this opportunity.’’ Seorin slightly bowed. Her request to meet Yifan must have been going against the regu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter