The New Novel

The Tales of a Murderer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One would expect a writer’s mind to be filled with a fountain of ideas but to young novelist Kim Seorin inspiration isn’t something that comes regularly. She isn’t someone who can instantly come up with ideas whenever her publicist request for a new book from her.

It’s when she watches scenarios on the street or an inspiring movie in combination with the pressure of the deadline, that make it possible for Seorin to obtain her ideas. It’s fortunate that her work appeals to the reviewers and the readers of South Korea. Otherwise she would have surely been abandoned by both her manager and the writers world a long time ago.

Her work was well known in Korea and had left a good impression on them. It was only a matter of time before she was heard of in the rest of the world. And when that happened, Seorin had no idea what do without the deadlines and the decision to write whatever she pleased to. She hadn’t experienced that sort of freedom before and the thought of it scared her.

So, when her manager, Moon Sora, told her that there wasn’t any demand at the moment and that the younger girl was free to choose a topic on her own; with no pressure at all, it seemed that inspiration for the new book wouldn’t be coming to the novelist any time soon.

It was a Wednesday evening with the last rays of sunlight slowly slipping away from the windows of her apartment. Seorin sat behind her desk, that was kept clean and papers organised in neat stacks. The complete opposite from the disaster in the rest of the room; a huge couch with a glass table that took up most of the space in her room, with newspapers from the last three weeks scattered everywhere.

Seorin leaned back in her chair while crumpling a piece of paper with the single word ‘freedom’ written on it with her messy handwriting. Her greasy and messy black hair matched her outfit; a pair of jogging pants and a sweater which colours were fading that she hadn’t changed out of for the past four days.

Seorin let out a sigh.

Her manager stood by the window, staring outside. Moon Sora’s blond hair, despite being made into a high ponytail managed to still reach her waist and her forest green eyes watched the busy traffic pass by below the street. The girl had an aura around her that screamed cockiness. A huge number of people would write her off as an arrogant, selfish brat. So it always came as a great surprise to those people whenever they heard that Sora managed to become the manager who brought success to the famous young novelist, Kim Seorin.

''I was wondering about something, Seorin,’’ Sora said all of a sudden, breaking the silence. ''Why did you become an author in the first place? Did you honestly think that you would always be told what to write about?’’ The blond eyed the novelist with a suspicious glare till her gaze turned into a grin instead. ''Perhaps you decided to write because you could hide into your home all the time and hide your disgusting habits of not showering or changing out of clothes.’’

''I shower frequently!’’ Seorin shot back. ''It’s just that… I don’t have enough time whenever I’m working on a book.'' She nervously started tapping on the floor with one of her feet and chewing on the end of her pencil.

''I’ve seen authors lock themselves up and forget about personal hygiene whenever they’re writing a book before. Except that it happened to them when the deadline was approaching and they wear nearly done with their book. Not at the begin phase like you.''

Seorin let out a groan in frustration. ''Look, I actually enjoy writing, but I can’t seem to come up with what to write about. And just so you know, I’m not trying to hide my ‘disgusting habits’. I just don’t enjoy socializing with people as much as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter