2.

Spring, Come Back To Me (Love is A Tragedy)

Taeyeon wakes up. Jessica's thrown a blueberry scone in her face. She's a picky eater and even though it’s stale and tastes of mass production, she gobbles it and washes it down with some yogurt drink.

"I miss civilization." Pouting, Taeyeon rests her head against Jessica's seat. The smell of strawberries attack her nose but she doesn't shift an inch.

"There's a small town near here."

"Say no more and step on the gas, Lady."

 

It's twilight when they pull up at the nearest coffeehouse. It's darker inside but somehow this reminds Taeyeon of her house. Dark, cozy. Atmospheric. On a small raised platform, there's a boy. Slightly younger than the both of them.

Jessica trails behind her, feeling a little lost but when Taeyeon throws a glance behind to make sure she's there, she's greeted back with a shy smile and a squeeze to her elbow.

They find a seat at the back. It's quieter here and Jessica orders a latte for both of them and an assortment of sandwiches. "I didn't know what you liked."

"That's great; I like them all."

 

Walking out onto the road, Jessica walks straight. She follows the sea breeze and Taeyeon follows her. They walk, quietly. Every so often, Taeyeon trips on a twig and the laugh that rips from Jessica startles her.

It's loud and uncontained. The total opposite of what Jessica presents herself to be.

 

This time Jessica's lounging on the backseat. Her feet comfortably placed onto the cushion, she stares at the paper bags lining the floor. Two bags of clothes. Another two for food. Music blares through the speakers and Taeyeon screams the lyrics she knows and mumbles incoherently when she doesn't.

It makes Jessica laugh. She doesn't know why but she doesn't feel a need to think through her emotions before she shows it. If she's pissed, it shows on her face. When she's happy, the grin that breaks free is unashamed to blind a nation.

 

"Siblings?"

Jessica reclines into her seat and holds up her index finger.

"Are you close?"

"I guess so. I mean we are siblings. Even though I hate her for constantly taking my clothes and returning them with ketchup stains, I'd still protect her."

"What's her name?"

"Krystal. We're complete opposites. She's in New York now. Studying to become an architect. Complete nerd."

"You miss her." It's a statement, Jessica realizes when she sees Taeyeon give her a sympathetic look and she looks away. There's something in her eyes and she swears it isn't tears.

 

Hours later, Taeyeon feels the ache in the back of her eyelids and her fingers cramping. Jessica senses this but there's no way they're able to switch, not until they reach the next rest stop.

"What's your parents like?"

"The best. They were both doctors. My mother was a woman of principles. She was tough but never unreasonable. Her family always came first. Maybe that's why when she gave birth to me, she quit her job to look after me. My father possessed the kindest eyes I've ever seen, although his hands were the most calloused I've ever held. He was terminally helpful."

"What happened to them?"

"Dad contracted a virus from work and passed it to my mum. I wasn't in town then. And I couldn't come back home. They called me every night. Until one night the phone didn't ring. I knew. They were gone."

 

Taeyeon's abruptly awoken when the car jerks to a halt. Her body flies forward but her hands are out, cushioning the impact.

The first thing she notices is the searing heat of the car. Her stomach growls next and she's wondering is Jessica would allow her to crack some eggs on her hood. Taeyeon looks up at Jessica. Somehow, she's changed into a white tank top and tied up her hair into a ponytail, exposing the sweat beading at the back of her neck.

"Hello there, sleeping beauty."

"Trust me, I've seen you sleep." Sitting up, she massages her temples and tries to rub off the seat imprints off her arms. "What's up with the German airconditioning?"

Shrugging, she motions for Taeyeon to look outside. Her eyes fall to a wall of tyres lining the mechanic's shop and forms an 'oh'. "If I knew what's up with it, I would've fixed it."

 

They walk aimlessly, waiting for their car to be fixed. Taeyeon tosses her banana milkshake into the bin as soon as she's done with it and immediately wants another. The heat is insane and Jessica's slightly abashed by her slick forehead that's shining under the sunlight. She hides her embarrasment, behind her sunglasses. She hides a lot of things beneath it. Like stealing glances at Taeyeon every five seconds.

Sensing Jessica's restlessness, Taeyeon stops a boy, no older than ten. "Kid, is there anything special here?"

"Have you been to the oxbow?"

Exchanging a confused look, Taeyeon peeks at Jessica only to find her reflection greeting her back. "Nope."

"Do you see that bus stop?" He waits for the two girls to lift their heads to acknowledge it, before he continues. "Turn left, once you reach the bend in the road just keep on following it."

 

They walk through Jessica's insistent whining, they walk through the heat and the flies. They walk until the tarmac road transforms into an old dirt path. They walk as if they're chasing the horizon. Their wandering feet leads them on and even though they're skeptical and very lost, they've each other for company.

It felt alien, the concept of having company. Looking out for one another. Sharing. Talking. Awkward silences. Laughing. Caring. Jessica didn't know what to do with her hands. When she laughed, she threw them over because it felt weird leaving them by her sides. When she walked, she stuffed them down her pockets because she was worried they'd accidentally brush with Taeyeon's.

The country lane stretches on and Jessica can't make anything out but Taeyeon's face lights up and she points into the distance. The wildlife was dense and Taeyeon sped off straight into it.

"This way!" Taeyeon exclaims, barely waiting up for Jessica and heads around the trees and into the ravine.

"Hold on." Before she knows what she's even doing she steps towards Taeyeon and she grabs her hands. "Okay, lead the way."

An undeniable grin breaks loose and Taeyeon's thankful that she's leading the way which lets her hide her smile. Reaching the river's edge, she revels in the slight drop in temperature and knows Jessica enjoys it too. How and why she knows is another question she won't bother answering.

She looks over at Jessica, then back to the island that'd finally shown itself. Her eyes lit up, and although she was the older of the two, Taeyeon was grinning at her like a twelve year old kid who really wanted to play Halo. "The current seems alright. Let's swim across!"

Jessica shots her a look that means no but Taeyeon's kicking off her shoes and stuck her foot in the river.

"Haven't you done this before? Like when you were smaller?"

"Hell no."

"Hell yeah, we're doing this. Now."

Frantic, Jessica spouts any excuse she can think of. "My hair's extra sensitive to anything but filtered water", "What about our phones or clothes?", "We'll be wet."

"Jessica. Get in. Now. Please."

Dragging her feet, she looks disgusted as the water level rises to her knees. But then she remembers knocking Taeyeon out and heaving her body into her car as if she was getting rid of a dead body. The sun scorches down but the river's wave’s laps at them, coaxing them to take another step. The water was cool and chest leveled.

"Last one there pays for gas!" Taeyeon declares and dives in.

There's a slight delay. Jessica takes a while to process but when she does, she jumped in after her. She realize she was laughing. And whenever she came up for air, she'd hear Taeyeon's laugh mixed with the splashing of water.

She only arrived much after Taeyeon had. Her muscles burned, in particular the ones in her cheeks.

Reaching out for Jessica's arm, Taeyeon clutches onto it and Jessica shivers; a full on shiver. As if a current just went down her spine. It's the cold, she convinces herself. Taeyeon's convinced it's the cold too as she starts to rub their skin together, trying to bring her warmth.

Their wet shirts cling onto their bodies like a heavy, second skin and Jessica unsticks her shirt from her stomach. Taeyeon notices this from the corner of her eyes and distracts herself by gathering twigs and branches.

"Bonfire?"

Taeyeon nods and Jessica scurries away, mimicking Taeyeon's actions. It takes her ten minutes, maybe fifteen when she settles beside Taeyeon with a handful of fibrous material. "I found a pack of matches on the ground."

"Lifesaver." Taeyeon mumbles, her focus completely on starting a fire. A minute later the both of them are huddled by the small flame, trying to dry themselves. Their bodies and pressed up against each other and Jessica nestles her head onto the crook of Taeyeon's neck.

She can hear her breathing and feel her faint heartbeat and listens for Taeyeon's unsettled sigh. She's abandoned the oars, the compass, the anchor and the sail. Jessica once thought she was a sinking ship. But today, she conquered the river on her own.

Their weary hearts and heavy hearts were still and so were passing glances and untouched fingers.

"I hope I don't drag you down. I'm starting to feel alright thanks to you." Jessica mumbles.

"You kidding? This is the highest I've been."

Taeyeon's mind flounders like a fish and Jessica's lips move but she doesn't hear a thing. Jessica says something again but Taeyeon's closed the gap between them. Turning towards her, Taeyeon's completely overwhelmed by this feeling of bliss and contentment. For once, life was okay. There was so much more to surviving it.

She'd run her fingers through the hair by Jessica's temples and in return, the brunette shifted her leg, spreading the warmth of their skins. Taeyeon's fingers dancing atop the small of Jessica's back sprouts a burst of confidence. They drip her shoulders and it makes her confident.

She didn't imagine this whirlpool. This heat. It's an intense kiss, shared by two who understand even though they know nothing of each other's past and how it's carved them into the person they are today, they understand. The loneliness. The need to be found. Thrill. A desperate need to be held.

"Can I ask you something?" Taeyeon whispers, her legs stretched over Jessica's.

"Mm hmm?"

"Who are you?" She's serious. This oddball came crashing into her life and the only thing she knows about her is her name.

"I'm Jessica."

"I don't even know your last name."

"Jung." She laughs. And the wind somehow lets the sound hang in the air. Tiffany's was still the most melodic, but Jessica's was real. She's so real and in her arms. "I'm a designer. We're the same age. I checked your driver's license," she cuts her off when Taeyeon looked ever ready to interrupt,"I hate cucumbers and I will hate you if you decide to not to heed my advice to off if you should use this piece of information against my favor."

 

 

The holding cell they were in was way cleaner then Taeyeon had expected it to be. Jessica laid across the narrow wooden bench, asleep. How she could fall deep into slumber even though they were locked up was beyond her.

Sitting on the unforgiving concrete below Jessica's feet, Taeyeon's transported to another reality. Instead of steel bars and cement, she's back in her apartment and she's lounging on the floor as Jessica lies on the sofa, both of them laughing.

Jessica's handcuffs whacking her on the side of her head snaps Taeyeon back to reality. Her head spins. God she needs a break.

Charged for trespassing? Possibly. She feels someone playing with her hair and she turns.

"Why a doctor? Of all the things you could be?"

The question surprises her. "I didn't have enough money to see the end of med school. On the third day, after my parents died, I stumbled into an old friend. He needed stitches for a gang fight gone wrong and since then, word spread like wildfire.

"Interesting." She murmured, sounding the least bit interested.

"You ."

Jessica was about to voice her disapproval when the heavy door swung open, followed by heavy footsteps. "The state requires us to provide you with a phone call to get in touch with a relative or relative." 

 

 

---------- 

i'm sorry if there are mistakes in the fic or parts that don't make sense!
this was actually six different one shots and drabbles combined into one

life has been hectic and this fic is just a way to relieve stress so if i feel 
pressured to write i won't (in case you're expecting regular updates)

and jessica is gg to be on a swimming show 
jfc literally cAN'T WAIT TO WATCH IT