Chapter V

Confounded

A/n: Unedited as always. Edited now and wow, this chapter was a disaster.

Kyungsoo didn’t talk to Jongin anymore. They didn’t have any reason to now; the only time Jongin even got close to the other was when his friends went to pick on him, but even then he couldn’t exactly talk to Kyungsoo. He just did his best to stay quiet when his friends said anything to Kyungsoo, hoping the other would see it and know Jongin was on his side even if he couldn’t say so directly.

Still, Kyungsoo slipped away from him, and all Jongin could do was watch. Life quickly returned to its normal, Kyungsoo-free self and it was awful. But once again he just convinced himself that it wasn’t gonna happen between them, and he would just have to move on with his life. (This of course was much easier said than done, and as much as Jongin pretended he didn’t get anywhere.)

Things became their usual the week after he last spoke to Kyungsoo; Jongin stopped writing Kyungsoo notes – they weren’t helping him anyway – and he focused on his own friends. At least while he’d been spending his time paying all his attention to Kyungsoo, his friends hadn’t changed at all. It was easier to be able to fall back on them and pretend the past month had never happened. And since most of them – excluding the very blatant Chanyeol and Baekhyun, as well as the slightly more bearable Jongdae with his new boyfriend – were straight, Jongin didn’t have to be so frequently reminded of his own feelings for another guy. What feelings? I totally don’t like any guys. Especially not Do Kyungsoo.

“Jongin, do you know how annoying you’ve been calling me and texting me and everything all the time the past few weeks, and now you’re just over him? You don’t actually think I believe you right?”

“Shut up. It was some stupid – I dunno, heat of the moment thing. Just ‘cause I was with him alone for that stupid project. And besides, you called me today.”

Taemin was glaring at him hard onscreen, but Jongin just shrugged, lying back on his bed and tilting his screen forward so he could see better (not that there was much to see; but maybe Taemin wanted to see him and all his attraction from this great angle). “I called because I figured you’d want to tell me everything about the past week,” Taemin said, looking unimpressed. “And I didn’t want you to start thinking you were a burden. Because I’m a good friend, you jerk. Also, that’s like the worst excuse I’ve ever heard. Literally all you ever say to me anymore is Kyungsoo this, Kyungsoo that. You don’t just get over a guy you dream about every night.”

“It was not every night!”

“Do you want me to read the texts you’ve sent?”

Jongin rolled his eyes, seeing Taemin get his phone out anyway. “I don’t like him. I told you he cursed me.”

Taemin was scrolling on his phone, and then started reading, “I can’t stop thinking about him, night and day-

“Didn’t I say that stupid book of his had some weird voodoo ? It totally did.”

- and I’m kinda getting creepy, honestly. Is it bad that even I know I’m being creepy? Like I can’t stop staring at him ever-”

“Cursed. I was cursed! He had me under an evil spell. An evil gay spell.”

“Jongin.”

“Taemin.”

Taemin was staring at him, face full of judgement, but Jongin just stared back impassively. “Why are you denying this so much now?”

“I don’t like him Taemin,” Jongin said firmly. And if I say it enough, it’ll eventually be true.

“You mean you don’t want to like him,” Taemin corrected. “What, did you get cold feet ‘cause he’s a guy? Or are you just going and pitying yourself because he still isn’t showing any signs of liking you back?”

“Ouch…” Jongin knew his best friend was straightforward sometimes, but geez. His heart sank, feeling heavy and sore. Just leave me alone. Why do I have to have feelings? He wanted to tell Taemin he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, but the words got caught in his throat and he just swallowed them down instead.

“Sorry, Jong,” Taemin uttered softly after a while. “I shouldn’t have said that.” Jongin just shrugged. “But giving up isn’t going to make him like you either. Maybe he just wants to see how serious you are; from what I’ve heard, I wouldn’t put it past him to test you like that.”

“I don’t care anymore,” Jongin put in quietly. “I just want to move on now…”

Taemin just nodded slowly, and the subject was dropped.

“Hey Jongin, are you okay?”

Jongin looked up from his phone to see Kris watching him across the table, expecting an answer. “Huh?” Jongin said dumbly, and Kris cracked a grin.

“You’re pretty absorbed in your phone lately,” Kris told him, and Jongin pocketed his phone, assuming that was what was being asked of him. “And you hardly talk to us anymore. You aren’t planning to leave us are you?”

“It’s not you guys,” Jongin said quietly, though half of them were paying attention now (Baekhyun and Chanyeol were off in their own world at the other end of the table as usual, and you could never really tell if Yixing was listening or not).

“Then what’s up?” Kris asked, frowning when Jongin shrugged.

“Just… love problems,” Jongin sighed.

At that, Chanyeol’s interest seemed to be caught, because he looked over, eyes slightly widened. “Did I hear that right? Our Jongin is having love problems?” Jongin nodded, holding in another sigh. “Aww.”

“You sound like my sister,” Jongin said, running a hand through his hair and trying not to get frustrated. Of course Chanyeol would too; he’d never had any issues in love, he’d had Baekhyun his whole freaking life. And apparently he didn’t understand that not everyone else had already found their soulmates and actually had to face heartbreak.

“What kind of problems?” Kris wondered next, and he at least looked like he was actually concerned.

When Jongin looked away, he caught sight of Kyungsoo, whose eyes weren’t on him. Of course. He had ceased to exist to the other now. “The unrequited kind,” Jongin mumbled, looking down at his lunch and picking up his chopsticks. Hardly feeling like eating, he just pushed his kimchi around in its container, and after a moment he felt Yixing rubbing his back comfortingly (although it wasn’t really much of a comfort).

“Who would be stupid enough to not like you back?” Chanyeol asked incredulously. “I mean, I don’t, but that’s ‘cause my standards are crazy high.” Beside him, Baekhyun rolled his eyes and smacked his shoulder, and Chanyeol grinned. “It’s not me anyway – right?”

All Jongin said in response was, “Ew,” but it was enough to convey his message. The thought of kissing Chanyeol seriously made him cringe. Ew. I don’t want to think about him that way ever, ugh. Baekhyun and Jongdae were laughing as Chanyeol made his most sincerely disappointed face before proceeding to shrug and kiss Baekhyun. Jongin scowled and looked away, jealousy pooling again. Stupid lucky gay friends.

“It’s not that girl you always talk about is it?” Kris asked him, and Jongin’s brow furrowed in confusion. “The one who’s in university now?”

He couldn’t help laughing at that. “Ha. No. I already know that’s never happening, I’d be stupid to get disappointed over her.” Ironically, he had just been texting said girl, but he didn’t bother to say as much. He texted a lot of people (or, a lot of people texted him) so it wasn’t exactly a big deal. “No, this is more recent. I don’t really want to think about it.”

“Well if she doesn’t like you back, then she’s just an idiot. She could have like, the second coolest boyfriend ever.” Jongin raised an eyebrow, and Kris winked theatrically.

“Hold on,” Jongdae put in, looking very serious. “If it’s between you two, Jongin totally kicks your man.” Kris blinked, and Chanyeol looked between him and Jongin dramatically before scrunching up his face and nodding in approval.

“Yep,” Chanyeol said soberly. “It’s a fact. Two against one.”

“Kris is better,” was all Tao had to say.

“Yixing! You have to make the deciding vote for us,” Chanyeol declared, and Yixing looked around in slight confusion. “We’re tied. This is a huge moment – everything rests on your answer.”

Baekhyun was shaking his head as Yixing’s eyes widened a bit. “Me?”

“Hey, what about me?” Jongin said suddenly. “I didn’t even get to vote here; don’t I get a say?”

“No,” Chanyeol said immediately, and when Jongin opened his mouth again, Chanyeol just went on, “No, you don’t so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.” Jongin started pouting, and the boy jumped on this. “See, look at this adorable candidate here, Xing. Totally irresistible. Meanwhile, option number two…” Kris was wearing his best I’m the coolest face, and Chanyeol shook his head gravely. “You know your options, Xing. Choose wisely.”

There was a moment of silence, and then Yixing just said, “Can’t I choose both?” This caused an uproar, as Chanyeol started yelling at Yixing about going against the rules and only getting one choice, etc, while Jongdae started booing loudly, nudging Minseok beside him to make the older join in. Jongin hid his face in his hands in embarrassment. My friends are the biggest nerds ever, I swear.

“Fine,” Yixing said after it quieted down again. “I’ll choose Jongin, just because he can’t get rejected twice.” There was another uproar after this, but it was one of aggressive cheering and banging on the table – which only stopped when Baekhyun’s coke can tipped over and Chanyeol jumped up to get napkins. He pointed at Jongin and Yixing fiercely and wished them a happy marriage before hurrying off, and Jongin did his best not to bang his head on the table. (His friends really were lame, but he was their friend for a reason.)

“I see how it is,” Kris said, standing and preparing to walk away. “I don’t need you all anyway.”

“’Kay,” Baekhyun waved. “Bye!”

They all broke into laughter, and Kris sat down again, mock-pouting. “I do nothing but love you guys, and this is what I get…”

“Yep,” Jongdae said with a huge grin. “You chose us, and now you’re stuck with us.”

Glaring playfully, Kris told them, “I regret every one of you. Except Tao,” he added, throwing an arm over Tao’s shoulders casually. Tao’s facial expression didn’t change, but he seemed slightly more smug. “Tao’s my new favourite.”

At this Jongdae shrugged, but then asked, “Wait, who was your favourite before then?”

“Not you,” Kris replied, and Baekhyun snorted beside Jongdae. Jongdae turned and hit Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Quiet, you,” he said, and Baekhyun stuck his tongue out. “It wasn’t you either.”

“I’m Chanyeol’s favourite,” Baekhyun pointed out as Chanyeol came back, hands overflowing with napkins (and dropping a trail of them as he went). “So meh.” And he stuck his tongue out again.

“Well I’m Minseok hyung’s favourite,” Jongdae returned. “And now Tao is Kris’ favourite and Jongin is Yixing’s favourite, and we’re all a bunch of gays. When’s the ?”

Jongin groaned, flicking a piece of rice at the other. “Some of us are eating.”

“Yeah but not you,” Jongdae noted, which was true. “You’re too busy being sad over your lack of a love life.”

“Thanks for reminding me,” Jongin muttered, his thoughts swinging back to Kyungsoo. His friends were supposed helping him forget about the boy he’d stupidly gotten feelings for; right now they were doing the opposite. Couldn’t he deal with the mess of his heart in peace?

“I can hook you up with someone if you want,” Jongdae offered, but Jongin dropped his eyes back to his food, shaking his head.

“Don’t bug him about it,” he heard Kris say. “Let’s talk about something else.” Jongin glanced up at him and offered a half-hearted smile gratefully. Maybe his friends played around a lot, and maybe they weren’t the greatest towards other kids sometimes, but Jongin appreciated that they supported him when he needed it.

About a week before Halloween, the group started discussing their plans for the holiday this year. As they had last year, they were going to have a group concept  in their costumes (because it showed that they were united or something, Jongin didn’t really know; it was just a way of flaunting their power – because as soon as their concept was released to the rest of the school, it would go unspoken that no one else could take part in it. I guess that makes it a scare tactic). They were hanging out at Kris’ house after school, which was a fairly regular occurrence – well, going to one of their houses was basically a weekly practice for the group.

“Okay, so I don’t actually have any ideas this year at all,” Kris admitted. “So whatever you guys have, throw it out there and we’ll think of something.”

“Big Bang,” Jongdae said immediately.

“Yeah ‘cause Big Bang has eight members you tit,” Chanyeol shot him down.

“Well clearly we need to get rid of a few people,” Jongdae returned, quirking an eyebrow. “Starting with our ‘Ch’ members.” Chanyeol just flipped him off. “I just meant like we could make various outfits they’ve done – like, one or two people per era. I could totally rock GD’s hair in Fantastic Baby.”

“I’d pay to see that,” Jongin snorted, and Jongdae winked at him. “Don’t wink at me, weirdo. I’ll tell your boyfriend.” (Minseok wasn’t with them that day, likely doing soccer-related things. Jongin wasn’t really sure why Jongdae wasn’t with him, but it wasn’t his concern.) Instead, Jongdae started blowing him kisses and doing aegyo until Jongin grabbed one of Kris’ stuffed animals (because Kris was cool, okay?) and chucked it at the older. “Cut it out. Gosh, why are you not single?”

“I know it’s tough,” Jongdae cooed. “But if me and Seok hyung don’t work out, I’ll call you.”

“’Kay, if you guys are done being gay over there,” Chanyeol put in.

“Jongdae is never done being gay,” Jongin remarked.

“And look who’s talking,” Jongdae added, and Jongin shot him a look in confusion. Wait – how did you know about that? Not that Jongin was gay, but for a second he’d thought somehow Jongdae had found out about his thing for Kyungsoo (which isn’t a thing anymore, Jongin thought, ignoring the voice reminding him how he still hadn’t even hooked up with anyone else since he'd started liking Kyungsoo). But the older was looking at Chanyeol, who had Baekhyun in his lap and was petting his hair absently. Wow, that was almost awkward.

“Guys, please,” Kris cut them off as Chanyeol opened his mouth. “Halloween. The Big Bang thing is currently a maybe.”

“Prison theme,” Chanyeol suggested next. “Some of us prisoners, some of us guards. Kris can be our warden.”

It was quiet for a moment, and then Jongdae said, “What kind of lame idea is that?”

“It’s not lame!”

“It’s interesting,” Yixing said quietly, and Chanyeol grinned.

“See, Yixing likes it.”

“Why that idea anyway?” Kris wondered.

Chanyeol give a smirk and Baekhyun laughed, linking their hands together casually. “’Yeol just bought handcuffs.”

“Do I even want to know what your plans are for those?” Jongin asked with a frown. What, was he playing police at home?

“Don’t act innocent,” Chanyeol told him, picking up the toy that had been thrown earlier and tossing it back to Jongin.

Innocent? Oh wait. “Can we like go one day without being reminded of you two’s life?” Jongin grumbled, resting the little animal on his stomach.

“I wanna be a ninja,” Tao said in the midst of their conversation. Everyone’s eyes went to him, but he didn’t say anything else.

“What’s even cool about ninjas?” Chanyeol muttered. “I mean, yeah they’re cool but as a costume, meh. What, are we gonna intimidate everyone with our skin-tight outfits and big ?”

Visual I so never needed, Jongin thought, then Baekhyun was saying, “What big , Park Chanyeol?” and Chanyeol pouted down at him.

“You like my ,” he said sadly.

“Yes,” Baekhyun nodded. “Yes I do.”

Jongin wanted to throw things again. “Can you two not? Like, hold it in, gosh, you aren’t alone.”

“Someone’s ually frustrated,” Chanyeol said under his breath, and he was lucky he was so far away because Jongin was very close to hitting him. Be grateful I’m too lazy to move, jerk. It wasn’t even fair, because Chanyeol was right – that’s what frustrated Jongin so much. “Anyway, if Tao gets to be a ninja, can I at least have Baekhyun as my prisoner?”

“You know what, I kinda like the idea of Minseok hyung being my prisoner,” Jongdae put in. “And then – hey! There’s only five of us left, we can totally be Big Bang!”

“Jongdae, I swear-”

“I will rock the GD style,” Jongdae went on anyway. “Chanyeol can be our Top – how do you feel about dying your hair? And then, I dunno. Kris can be Daesung ‘cause the blond hair, and Jongin can be Taeyang and just wander around shirtless ‘cause why not? And Yixing kinda looks like Seungri, right?”

“Jongdae, what are you smoking and where can I get some?” Kris asked, shaking his head.

“Why do you guys not appreciate that I am a genius?” Jongdae whined. “I need new friends.”

We all need new friends. We’re all a big group of losers. “Well you can take your boyfriend and go join his friends – Oh Sehun and Kyungsoo and that other guy – and make Big Bang,” Chanyeol told him. “Enjoy your life.”

Jongin’s heart skipped at Kyungsoo’s name. The boy was hardly ever mentioned in his circle, and Jongin hated how he reacted to him still. He wished Kyungsoo would just disappear from his life – and my heart. Like, he had never taken this long to get over anyone before; not over someone who didn’t return his feelings. Usually he just accepted it within a day or two and moved on with his life, but it had already been weeks and his feelings hadn’t gone anywhere and just why?

(This had happened a total of one time to Jongin before, when he got a huge crush on one of his sister’s friends – when he’d been like, twelve, by the way. And yes, those feelings had lasted for basically ever, and sometimes he still kind of thought about her. But that had been his first real crush, that’s how it was supposed to happen. What, because Kyungsoo was his first guy crush Jongin had to go through this all over again? Who wrote these rules? I don’t want to play this stupid game anymore.)

“ that,” Jongdae was scowling. “I’d rather drop dead than go around Oh freaking Sehun. Or Do Kyungsoo.” Jongin just picked up the toy on his stomach, watching it and hoping the subject would change soon.

He was saved by Yixing, who piped up suddenly, “We should do a vampire theme.”

Jongdae snorted. “Right. You can be Bella.”

Yixing frowned, but couldn’t speak before Chanyeol added, “And Jongin is your Edward.”

“I thought vampires were pale,” Baekhyun put in and Chanyeol snorted.

“I’m still better-looking than all of you,” Jongin mumbled. Talking about his skin colour – specifically, his friends making fun of how dark he was – wasn’t actually funny to him, and tended to make him bitter (no inserting jokes about being burnt). “Combined.”

“Don’t start that crap guys,” Kris ordered. “Jongin doesn’t like it.” Jongin didn’t look at anyone, just appreciating that their leader was sticking up for him. “Anyway, Xing, vampires are so 2006.”

Yixing was still frowning. “I wasn’t thinking about Twilight vampires. I meant like, real ones.”

Something in the air changed, and Jongin got the feeling they had found their concept for this year. Generally speaking, when Yixing made a suggestion it would go through, partially because no one seemed to want to argue with him and because Kris liked every idea Yixing ever had (maybe it was a Chinese thing).

They all seemed to be thinking about it anyway, and it was quiet until Chanyeol finally spoke up. “If we’re vampires, we have to be the most badass vampires ever.”

“And if Big Bang comes out with a vampire concept, I’m kicking everyone in this room’s ,” Jongdae inserted. But it at least seemed like they were all in favour of the idea, and they ended the conversation there as Jongdae began complaining about how it had been literally years since Big Bang had a comeback, blah blah blah.

Jongin needed to stop thinking about things he couldn’t have; it was killing his mood, and he really was acting burnt. It’s not my fault.

Stupid Do Kyungsoo.

Halloween arrived quickly after that, and Jongin had spent a lot of time working on his costume for it. Being the fantastic shopper he was, he was able to find a jacket almost exactly like Spike’s (Jongin definitely hadn’t watched the entire Buffy series as a kid, and definitely didn’t fangirl over the jacket; nope), pairing it with his tightest pair of skinny jeans and punk-style boots (though Kris’ were far more impressive). They all bought matching red contacts and incisors – realistic ones, not the lame, plastic kiddie ones. And Jongin even woke up early (reluctantly) to get his sister to do his makeup for him before he got picked up. So by the time he reached the school Halloween morning, he was pretty much full vampire (without the blood thirst or undead parts).

As expected, the rest of his friends wore cloaks and tight clothes – whatever limited clothes they did wear – except Tao, Baekhyun and Minseok as planned. Walking through the smoke-filled halls felt completely natural, and Jongin couldn’t deny he felt pretty cool walking around as a fake vampire. Of course they were always cool, but now they were super badass and now it felt justified (and a few people actually cringed when they would see the group approaching which was kind of awesome).

Being his second year in the school, the hectic state of the school on Halloween wasn’t a surprise to Jongin, but it was still pretty exciting to get to go through it again. They decided to head to the cafeteria first – wanting to get some of whatever food there was before it was all gone and check out anything that was going on in there (but really it was the food they were interested in). It wasn’t long before they all had some sort of candy or cupcake and were wandering through the room. Chanyeol was the one who spotted the barrels in each corner of the room with apples floating in them, and then he was challenging Jongdae to see if he could get an apple without messing up his makeup. At this, they were all dragged over to watch.

They stayed around there for a while, and at one point Jongin swore he saw someone wearing a cloak, judging them internally. Don’t think you can steal our concept, he thought in the general direction he’d thought they’d gone. We will find all you wannabes. But then Jongdae was saying something about how Minseok had disappeared on him, and he came back a moment later with the older before telling Kris something that caught Jongin’s attention.

“Kyungsoo’s over there. I think he’s avoiding us.”

Kris glanced the way Jongdae pointed and then back to the barrel where Chanyeol was encouraging Baekhyun to go bobbing. “Why not have some fun on Halloween? I’m sure he could use it,” Kris smirked, and Jongin swallowed hard. If Jongin looked uncomfortable, it went unnoticed by Kris who was heading off with Yixing. When they came back, they had Kyungsoo in tow, struggling to get out of their hold.

Jongin stared, but Kyungsoo didn’t even look his way. His heart was starting to race, and for once it wasn’t (just) because it was Kyungsoo.

I’m glad Taemin’s not here. He’d never stop laughing, ever.

Whether it had been Kyungsoo’s idea or someone else’s (see: Sehun), Kyungsoo was dressed up as a wizard. A wizard. A freaking wizard?! A tiny part of Jongin tried to comfort himself, saying that at least he knew for real now that he was cursed, but it really didn’t make him feel any better. How dare you do this to me Do Kyungsoo?

Jongin wasn’t sure how much time passed before he was broken out of his thoughts, but when he heard Kris saying, “Kyungsoo wants to play!” his attention returned to reality. Kris and Yixing were dragging Kyungsoo forward, and Jongin’s mouth went dry as he realized what his friends were planning to do. He froze, knowing he couldn’t watch someone try to drown Kyungsoo – not when it had almost happened at his own house, and he’d seen Kyungsoo almost dead and he just couldn’t, no – but was somehow stuck in place, words refusing to come out of his mouth.

No big deal, not like Kyungsoo needs someone to help him or anything!

Just when he opened his mouth to say anything, other voices rang out and both Minseok and Luhan came to Kyungsoo’s rescue. Then Kyungsoo was thrown back to his friends, and the two exes – were they exes? – were confronting one another. Jongin didn’t hear them; he only had eyes for Kyungsoo who was half-hidden behind Sehun now. Before long, Kris was telling him to ignore them and let them have their fight, and then Jongin turned away, feeling like he was going up in flames.

He’d gotten too close to Kyungsoo again, even just for that second. Just – seeing Kyungsoo, with that half-scared look in his eyes, and thinking about the day he’d found the older half-dead in his house… Why is this even fair? Do I need to leave the school so I don’t risk ever seeing him again?

Oh well. It wasn’t like Jongin was getting over him anyway; but he would keep lying to himself because Kyungsoo’s never liking me anyway, so it doesn’t even matter.

A/n: Taemin returns~ And Kris is nice and then not so nice. And playful beagle line rivalry (how playful is it?) and the curse of the Kyungsoo returns as well :D (He should've dress up as Satan; I wish I'd known this two years ago.) Do you guys get why Taemin calling Kyungsoo a wizard is ironic now? (Brace for all that laughing Taemin will be doing when he finds out.) Other than that... *casually pushes half the members off a cliff for making fun of Jongin's skin* Seriously, he's better looking than all of you so shut your mediocre faces. (I love Exo, just not that part of them.) And who is Jongin's mystery old crush? (*laughs at my own joke*) I'm not sure whether she'll actually come into the story, but she's also a good friend (like Taemin). If you want to find out more about her, let me know. If you don't want her to be part of the story, also let me know. I'll decide whether or not to make her another side character c:

-Please don't try to guess who it is. I mean this sincerely; I will stop writing for this fic if I see names. My next update will literally just be "[Username] mentioned names and now I'm taking down this fic; blame them. Sorry." Thank you.-