Chapter III

Confounded

A/n: Unedited + longest chapter yet~ Enjoy the end of the plane days and party numero uno :) (Beware: Jealous Jongin awakening ahead.)

Jongin could barely take his eyes off Kyungsoo at lunch. Kyungsoo didn’t notice him at all, but Jongin didn’t mind that, watching the boy freely. Well, almost freely; he was very aware now of where he was sitting – between Kris and Chanyeol – in relation to where Kyungsoo was. There was far more than physical space between them. But Jongin wasn’t going to worry about that; there were things his friends didn’t know – nor need to know – about him. Like his attraction to guys, or like Taemin – they didn’t know Taemin existed at all, which was fine. They didn’t need to find out about anything Jongin felt towards Kyungsoo; and if he started a relationship with the other, they didn’t have to know about that either. He could wait until Kris left and tell them once he took over – and what could they do about it then?

He had the feeling Kyungsoo wouldn’t care what Jongin told the others. Honestly, right now he was pretty sure Kyungsoo didn’t even care about him, let alone his friends. Jongin could worry about that after he had wooed him. One step at a time. Get Kyungsoo first, then deal with the rest.

Now that Jongin had decided he liked Kyungsoo – although wow, that was weird to think about; how exactly had this happened? – he looked forward to going over to the older’s house after school. He was grinning absently for most of the bus ride, until Yixing asked what he was so happy about.

“You’re going to Kyungsoo’s, aren’t you?” Yixing wondered, and Jongin’s ears perked up at the name. Still supposed to be your enemy. He faked a frown.

“Yeah, don’t remind me,” he groaned, slumping in his seat in an attempt to look put out. Once Yixing was gone though, it was hard to hold it in.

For the second night in a row, he stayed late at Kyungsoo’s place, taking almost all the time to appreciate Do Kyungsoo. Jongin had never found Kyungsoo ugly, but he’d never admitted to himself that Kyungsoo was… beautiful. He had the most gorgeous eyes in the world, and lips that could only be found in (the wettest) dreams. Why were his lips so plush and full and pink and beautiful? Jongin was convinced they’d been sent just to torture him, haunting him with dirty thoughts.

Throughout the night, Jongin contemplated telling the other about his feelings, but he knew that would never work. Most people would kill for a confession from Kim Jongin, but Kyungsoo… he would laugh at Jongin, and then probably tell everyone about it. Kyungsoo was the rare type who wasn’t in love with Jongin and actually needed convincing before he would fall for Jongin (but Jongin knew he would fall for him, one way or the other; if he could fall for Do Kyungsoo, he could get Kyungsoo to reciprocate the feelings in return). So yeah, no immediate confessions in hopes of that being enough. Jongin needed a game plan.

Be nice. Treat him like he matters to you; more than that – treat him like a prince.

It wasn’t very hard to be nice to Kyungsoo, but that didn’t mean Kyungsoo was nice back. In fact, Jongin was able to get away with quite openly staring at the other boy and not being called out on it, because Kyungsoo didn’t acknowledge him for the most part, only when giving instructions. Just like Jongin had asked on that first day, it was business-only between them. Jongin wished he’d kept his mouth shut then, realized his feelings sooner and been friendly from the start. Had that really only been a week ago? Had he really only looked in Kyungsoo’s sketchbook – what, eleven days ago? He seriously couldn’t understand how things had turned out the way they had so fast. All of a sudden he had feelings for Do Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo. His life was too weird sometimes.

After an unsuccessful first day of trying to warm Kyungsoo over, Jongin still had the courage to wish the boy goodnight shyly. (Kyungsoo looked like he was doing his best not to roll his eyes, and watched Jongin walk himself out.) When he went home, Jongin forced himself to do more homework and not just . He put a ban on himself – no more or ing until he kissed Do Kyungsoo. Maybe even, no more until it was with Kyungsoo. That was definitely a convincing motivator for Jongin not to procrastinate about this; if he wanted , he had to convince Kyungsoo to give it to him.

Day two went a bit better than the previous, due to a tired Kyungsoo who was a small amount less inhibited around Jongin. Throughout the day Jongin saw the boy fighting to keep his eyes open – as if he hadn’t been able to sleep last night (maybe because he was thinking about Jongin; that was the story Jongin was going with) – and when the bus pulled up outside Kyungsoo’s house, Jongin glanced back to see him leaning against the window, dozed off. Jongin’s stomach fluttered a tiny bit as he moved to the back of the bus and touched Kyungsoo’s shoulder, moving him until the boy stirred and looked up with glazed eyes. Kyungsoo just reached up to rub at his eyes and then got up and walked by quickly, Jongin following after him, hand feeling tingly. (Just maybe, he was going to need more excuses to touch Kyungsoo again.)

While they were walking up to the house, Jongin realized he could – should – be making conversation with the boy. They only had a few more days together before Jongin would have no excuse to associate with Kyungsoo, which meant he needed to get his act together fast. All he could think to say was, “You’re tired today,” expecting that Kyungsoo would explain why. But it was Kyungsoo, and maybe Kyungsoo just didn’t know how to pick up on social cues but of course he didn’t say anything to Jongin as he opened the garage door and led the way inside.

Jongin forgot all about trying to talk to Kyungsoo when he caught sight of their project, very different from what it had been the night before. Yesterday they had completed the build of it, and Jongin figured that was all they would do. But apparently Kyungsoo had taken the initiative to paint the plane as well based off of the photograph in the book they were using, and it looked incredible. It was a miniature replica now. He looked back at Kyungsoo, who was at the door and looking somewhat wary, eyes not meeting Jongin’s.

“That’s why you didn’t sleep last night.” (And Jongin was a bit disappointed realizing this; he’d really wanted Kyungsoo to have been thinking about him too.) Kyungsoo gave the tiniest shrug, clearly trying to remain indifferent when he was waiting for what more Jongin would say. Jongin offered him a small grin and told him certainly, “This is amazing.”

Kyungsoo looked up at him, eyebrows half-raised and letting out a soft “Thanks,” before he composed himself and moved his gaze elsewhere. Jongin gave a genuine smile that Kyungsoo didn’t see as he swung his bag around and ped it, but Jongin didn’t mind, asking what the plan was for today. It hadn’t taken long for him to figure out that Kyungsoo liked being in charge, and Jongin was only there to do what he was told. He didn’t mind that either; he wanted Kyungsoo comfortable with him. When the older glanced over his shoulder, outside, Jongin took that as a sign that they were flying today, picking up the plane with care and taking it out.

“Let’s just make sure it works first,” Jongin suggested, putting it carefully on the ground and looking back at Kyungsoo who had the remote in his hand. “We don’t need it being broken again.” Kyungsoo gave a single nod, flicking the switch and letting it take off. After a moment all Jongin could say was “Wow,” because it looked just like a model you would buy, except they had built it. The two of them. And it was working, and just, “Wow. That is awesome.”

Kyungsoo’s expression stayed serious, though his forehead wasn’t quite as lined as usual. He flew it a moment longer and then was ordering Jongin to start writing down numbers – height and speed and angles. The first couple of tests seemed to go okay, but after a few tries Jongin noticed the plane would wobble sometimes, or veer slightly. Initially he thought it was something with the plane, but after it happened a few times he looked over to Kyungsoo and saw him holding his eyes wide open and shaking his head. Exhausted; if he kept it up he might crash the thing by accident.

With that in mind, Jongin went over to him and took the remote, letting his fingers trail over Kyungsoo’s skin for a second and feeling his heart stutter. What a rush over such tiny contact. His confidence swelled, but in a moment they were back to work, Kyungsoo not even seeming to have noticed what had happened.

It was honestly pretty fun to fly their plane, and it didn’t take long for Jongin to start playing around with it. He would do a run and then make the plane spin on the way back, grinning as it levelled out smoothly. And Kyungsoo didn’t even yell at him, which Jongin took as a sign that maybe things were going well for them. Soon he found out the reality of the situation – looking back to the other for a second after a particularly impressive loop, Jongin saw Kyungsoo leaned forward, using his book as a pillow. Oh yeah. Kyungsoo, exhausted.

His chest felt kind of melty as he landed the plane on the ground and went over to the other boy, shifting his body very carefully to lie on the grass. Jongin revelled at getting to touch Kyungsoo yet again, his hands ghosting briefly after he had settled the smaller. It didn’t look very comfortable, though Kyungsoo didn’t wake. Feeling pretty warm by now anyway, Jongin pulled his sweater over his head and folded it, tucking it under Kyungsoo’s head and then returning to the plane.

He flew it a little while longer and then gave up for the day, knowing he couldn’t do much without the two of them working together. Then he went and sat with Kyungsoo, copying the numbers the other had written down so he could start doing some calculations on his own. Keeping his mind focused was hard though, when Kyungsoo was lying there so serenely and breathing softly, lips just barely parted but enough to drive Jongin insane. He couldn’t help thinking it’d probably be pretty hot to have the older go down on him right there in the yard (and damn, he wanted to find out).

But the more Jongin looked over Kyungsoo’s pretty, calm face, the more his heart started doing things. He wanted to reach out and touch Kyungsoo’s cheek, or maybe lean down and kiss those lips. Gently, soft enough not to wake him. Jongin longed for that intimacy, which was a first; that kind of pure intimacy, that didn’t involve hormones or pleasure, was something Jongin never thought about.

Without thinking, Jongin reached out to touch Kyungsoo’s hair, brushing it off his forehead lightly and letting his hand linger for a moment as Kyungsoo slept on. Then suddenly he was feeling very overwhelmed, and decided he needed to get away from Kyungsoo and clear his head. Jongin got up, his legs feeling kind of weak, going in the garage door and through the house until he found the kitchen with the intent of getting himself a drink. He searched through cupboards trying to find a glass for himself, and then abruptly he was leaning against the counter, trying to slow down his heartbeat as he thought endlessly of the boy he’d left outside. Too many feelings. What’s happening to me?

Jongin jumped a mile when a voice came up behind him. “Oh, it’s you Jongin. Did you need something?” Kyungsoo’s mother was peeking in the doorway, and Jongin turned to bow quickly, trying to pull his thoughts together to form some sort of sentence.

“I – Kyungsoo – he, well, I – just, uh… drinks. I came to get us drinks.” He felt the blush growing on his face, but all he could think was I want your son. Your son is beautiful. Can I marry him? He was trying his best not to blurt something like that, because that would be really embarrassing to say to Kyungsoo’s mom; instead he was just sounding like an incompetent fool. Much better.

She was nice enough to offer to get drinks for him though, heading to the cupboard Jongin hadn’t looked in and pulling out glasses. “Is lemonade alright?”

“Mm,” he nodded, distracted again. Then he remembered who he was talking to and said, “Yes, please. That would be great. Thank you Mrs. Do.”

“Are you alright?” she wondered, looking half-amused (and half-concerned).

“Yes,” he nodded quickly. “I’m just… tired,” he lied. “Long day.”

“Well, don’t work too hard,” she told him, passing him two glasses now filled with juice. He nodded again. “And tell Kyungsoo not to overwork either.”

“I’ll tell him,” Jongin promised.

“Good.” She was quiet, and Jongin felt like he’d been dismissed, but at the same time he felt like he should stay longer. It seemed like she still wanted to say something; and then she did. “You’re always welcome to come over sometime, Jongin. Not just to work on your school things, I mean. My son could use some company. He’s kind of quiet, I know, but he’s a nice boy.”

“He’s great,” Jongin blurted quietly. “I… I’d love to spend time with him, after the project.” Kyungsoo’s mother smiled, and he felt a bout of shyness. “Anyway, we – we’re outside now.” With that, he bowed his head at her before taking his leave.

Back outside, Kyungsoo was sleeping on so Jongin left one glass beside him and started sipping on the other, organizing his mind again so he could go back to their project. He managed to focus on the numbers well enough that when Kyungsoo stirred, he didn’t notice. Even when Kyungsoo snapped at him for letting him fall asleep, Jongin kept his thoughts on the equation he was working on, not even looking up. (It was likely better that way; Jongin could already imagine what the older looked like just waking up, there was no need to torture himself further.)

Jongin only finally looked up when Kyungsoo asked, “Did you tell my mom not to wake me up?” At the question, he dared a glance at the other – who was holding his glass up to take a sip of the juice, the hair on one side of his head flattened, eyes not yet fully conscious. Jongin’s mouth went a bit dry.

“I – don’t think she knows you fell asleep,” he managed, and it sounded more relaxed than he felt inside. He hated himself; he was such a loser when it came to love, getting to this level of embarrassment so fast. Not. Even. Two. Weeks. You loser. And seriously, he’d only been acknowledging it for a couple days like, who was this lame? (Jongin was.)

“If she came outside and brought us drinks,” Kyungsoo said, but Jongin was already shaking his head. “I’m sure she would’ve noticed-”

Jongin cut him off when Kyungsoo ignored him. “She didn’t come out; I went in. I told her we were outside now, so she wouldn’t get worried.”

If Jongin was expecting a better reaction from that, he didn’t get it because Kyungsoo started scowling. Wasn’t it good that he’d told Kyungsoo’s mom where they were? Maybe Kyungsoo was just – really – hard to please.

But then Kyungsoo asked quietly, “Why are you like that?” Jongin didn’t know what he meant. Why was he like what? He waited, and Kyungsoo’s frown only creased deeper. “Why are you nice when you’re so horrible at school? Why do you pretend to be a , to not be smart-” Kyungsoo waved his hand at their drinks. “When that’s not actually true?”

Jongin thought about it, and realized he never really had thought about it. Was he really that bad? He didn’t really feel that different at school than he did at home or anywhere else. But… maybe he was a bit harsh sometimes when he was with his friends. That was how they all were; and if they weren’t, someone else would come along and take their place at the top. So…

“Survival, I guess,” he said finally. But hey – Kyungsoo had called him nice, which meant Kyungsoo didn’t think he was all bad. Maybe this was Kyungsoo’s subtle way of flirting; attack-compliments. That was pretty hot, and Jongin could work with that. “Why don’t you tell everyone?” he asked playfully in return.

“It’s not my secret to tell,” Kyungsoo replied, but the emotion had left his voice again and he was back to being robotic. His eyes were hard when he added, “Besides, who would believe me anyway?”

Jongin’s stomach twisted sadly, and he didn’t know what to say to that. Because Kyungsoo was talking to him the way he talked to Kris – and Kyungsoo hated Kris, this much Jongin knew. And… They weren’t friends, that’s what Kyungsoo was reminding him. And everything he’d said before hadn’t been a compliment. He’d been letting Jongin know that he was an at school; Kyungsoo probably thought he was pathetic.

He was starting to think so himself.

When he went home that night, he took out his frustrations beating up his pillow, feeling like crying. He promised himself to treat Kyungsoo better. Kyungsoo deserved better.

In the middle of the night Jongin woke up and scribbled out a note to give to Kyungsoo, and when he read it in the morning he laughed. It was so cheesy and lame, it could’ve been a love song (except it didn’t rhyme). He crumpled it up and tossed it, writing a new note that was slightly less pathetic and leaving it in Kyungsoo’s locker that morning.

Kyungsoo never said anything to Jongin about the notes, which made Jongin believe Kyungsoo didn’t suspect he was behind them. That night though, Kyungsoo did ask him about the party he was throwing that weekend, but he told Jongin he wasn’t going. Why had he even asked then? Jongin figured he probably had some interest, and he tried to argue it with him, but Kyungsoo just snapped at him, saying he wouldn’t go to a party of Jongin’s. Two days in a row now, he’d been reminded that Kyungsoo didn’t like him whatsoever. If Jongin had thought Kyungsoo was ever even slightly warming up to him, he was completely wrong, and it hurt. Why was he even bothering? As if someone like Do Kyungsoo would ever like him anyway.

His hours with Kyungsoo slipped away, and by Thursday night the two had stopped talking completely outside conveying project-related information to one another. Kyungsoo didn’t seem to mind at all; Jongin felt like crying. And then they were done, and Jongin hadn’t won Kyungsoo over at all and he went home and did cry. His heart had swelled every moment he’d spent with Kyungsoo, and now it had burst. This was new; he’d never faced rejection before.

On Friday morning Jongin woke up and told himself he would have to move on now; he wouldn’t be spending any more time with Kyungsoo, so he needed to find someone new.

He would’ve, maybe. Except when he was walking to class that morning, he passed Kyungsoo’s locker (it was on the way, okay?) and overheard the boy talking to Sehun – about Kai’s notes. And that changed his mind.

“This guy isn’t just going to talk to me when there’s people around – at Kim Jongin’s house. He won’t even talk to me now… I’m not going.” It was all Jongin caught, but it was enough to make his mind whir. All throughout his class he started making a plan for himself – he was going to confess to Kyungsoo at his party tonight. Confess that he was Kai, and that he liked Kyungsoo. Screw everyone who was there; what were they gonna do in his house, tell him off?

He wrote another note as Kai and left it in Kyungsoo’s locker between classes, hoping it would be enough to convince the boy to show up tonight.

Jongin was rocking on the balls of his feet, half-impatient half-nervous, looking over the crowd in search of the face he was hoping for. People had started arriving over an hour ago, and by now it was pretty busy in the place, but he hadn’t caught sight of Kyungsoo yet. He’d seen Sehun arrive half an hour earlier with his boyfriend, but no Kyungsoo. Did that mean he wasn’t coming?

Starting to give up hope, Jongin heaved a sigh. So much for his plans; he took it as a sign that he wasn’t meant to be with Kyungsoo anyway, and began to head towards his kitchen. Up until now he’d been too nervous to drink anything, but now he wanted to so he could erase the panging feeling in his chest. As he turned, though, his heart almost dropped through his stomach (before immediately picking up its fluttering) as he finally – finally – saw Do Kyungsoo coming in through the door. And… wow.

He looked good. Jongin was used to Kyungsoo wearing – well, dorky clothes, or just all black plain outfits. But tonight he looked classy, though his face remained in that same unimpressed state (which made Jongin smile a bit, because it was kind of cute honestly). All Jongin’s nerves returned to him, joined with a flood of hormones in his veins – flowing south at the thought of getting Kyungsoo in his bed tonight. Jongin swallowed hard thinking about it, both nervous and excited at the prospect of sleeping with the boy he wanted.

I need that drink now.

Jongin did his best to keep his eye on Kyungsoo, who wandered around with his other friend – Joonmyun; Jongin had found the name out from Minseok – ending up at the couch, where Sehun had ended up and was going too far with his boyfriend. Kyungsoo smacked Sehun but the other didn’t even seem to notice, and then Joonmyun was splitting from Kyungsoo, heading in Jongin’s direction. After that, Jongin lost track of Kyungsoo for a couple minutes, until he saw him slip out the back door.

Jumping into action, Jongin grabbed a second bottle of soju and all but chased after Kyungsoo, only pausing to compose himself at the door. He had no idea what he was planning, but he went out back anyway, eyes scanning for the older.

Where did he go? In a minute, Jongin gave a laugh as he saw a shape sitting at the edge of his yard alone. Shaking his head, he approached, knowing it would be him. Only Kyungsoo. This would be the perfect time to confess then. The moment he reached Kyungsoo though, he practically seized up, stunned by this new gorgeous Kyungsoo and by the idea of having to confess. He couldn’t do it; he needed to drink first. And maybe get Kyungsoo more tipsy too, so he’d be more open-minded. It was suddenly hitting Jongin that the other might not even be into guys and – there were a lot of problems (aka excuses) coming to mind now and Jongin couldn’t handle them without some alcohol running through them. So he gave the soju bottle to the older, telling Kyungsoo to have fun and joking (but not really joking) about telling Sehun not to bang his boyfriend on the couch, and then headed off again.

He would give Kyungsoo space for half an hour, drink enough to have some courage next time he saw him, and do his thing then. Yes. That was how it would happen.

That’s how it would have happened, if not for the unexpected blip. That blip being, Kyungsoo making out with a girl on his couch.

Jongin left him alone for less than fifteen minutes. Fifteen. Minutes. And then he found Do Kyungsoo locking lips with that girl and he could’ve screamed. He’d gone outside, and when he came back in he spotted the two; he nearly punched a wall (nearly). By the time he made it to the couch, the girl was gone though. He wished he’d gotten a good look at her face. When he reached the couch, Kris was going by and said something about taking a room before telling him to get it in. Jongin’s eyes were on Kyungsoo when he heard it. That’s the plan. But first, he needed to take out his anger, because Kyungsoo was being an idiot and kissing people that weren’t Jongin.

As soon as Kris was gone, Jongin tapped Kyungsoo’s shoulder – okay, maybe not tapped; he might have grabbed him harshly – and growled at him to follow, not even looking back as he stalked off to see if the older obeyed. He headed down a hallway and turned angrily, and Kyungsoo was there, an eyebrow raised expectantly.

Jongin was maybe a bit possessive. “I told you to get your friends off my couch, that didn’t mean find someone else to screw you on it,” he snapped at Kyungsoo, still wanting to hit something, or pout. Or both.

“I didn’t even,” Kyungsoo returned, acting innocent. Jongin glared.

“I saw you!” he yelled, but Kyungsoo just shrugged him off with a snarky remark and tried to walk away, which Jongin wasn’t having. He grabbed Kyungsoo and jerked him back. The look of surprise on Kyungsoo’s face broke Jongin out of his anger, realizing how rough he was being with the other right now. This was not how this was supposed to go. I’m supposed to be telling him how I feel, not being mad at him. He let Kyungsoo go, telling him not to mess around with strangers, but Kyungsoo was mad too now.

“Why are you so concerned about what I do?” Jongin could smell the soju on his breath. It smelt like Kyungsoo had had more than the bottle Jongin had given him – but how could he even finish one bottle in that time, let alone more? Kyungsoo went on, and his words were a tiny bit blurred. “You’re the one who told me to go out and have fun tonight. Now you’re putting restrictions on me?”

“No! It’s just-” Just that I like you. And I want you to have fun with me, not some chick you don’t even know. He wished those words would come out. “Common sense.”

Kyungsoo’s glare was venomous. “And what about what Kris said to you?” Kyungsoo had heard that? Apparently, because he tore into Jongin for it, how Jongin was always hooking up. Jongin couldn’t even defend himself, because it was true. “Exactly. So let me have my fun and you go have yours.” And then Kyungsoo was walking off.

“Kyungsoo!” You don’t get it! It’s not like that now. You’re the one I want now. He kept trying to talk sense into Kyungsoo but went ignored as the older hurried off, blending in with the crowd and getting several people between them. Jongin had almost caught up when another girl stumbled into his arms, pulling him down to kiss him messily. He pushed her off of him but she kept trying to attack, and he could smell the alcohol basically radiating off her. He was really starting to hate that scent.

“Get the hell away from me!” he shouted, eventually shaking her off, but by that point he had no idea where Kyungsoo was. Well, he had an idea.

Kyungsoo had been heading for the front door. Let me have my fun and you go have yours. He’d told Jongin just days ago that parties weren’t his kind of fun. And Jongin had probably just ruined any hope of ever changing the boy’s mind.

He’d probably ruined any chance with Kyungsoo that he had, too.

A/n: Longest chapter so far~ Unedited rn because its like 2am. Jongin has put a ban (or a, nothing-can-touch-my- ban) on himself. Can he follow through? *laughs into eternity* I don't think that's his greatest concern right now though. He's too busy messing things up for himself. Hint: Yelling at Kyungsoo will not make you like him. Also, what about being a possessive jerk falls under your treat Kyungsoo like a prince plan? Babo.

Don't mind me. Feel free to leave your own comments telling Jongin what an idiot he is. I promise I'll relay them to him for you ;P