five

Totally Professional
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 5:

               When filming resumed, Director Shin gathered everyone for a few final announcements and reminders before we shoot the last scene. Everyone was attentive, except perhaps me and Soojung who every now and then kept stealing glances at each other and exchanging knowing smiles. At this moment, I feel so elated. Just knowing that the girl I love loves me in return is nothing short of heaven for me. What did I do to deserve this angel?

“It’s the last scene so I want everyone to give it their best.” Director Shin was talking. “Also, there were some changes in the script that Mrs. Han did, so it shouldn’t be a surprise if there’s a difference in the outcome. The minimal changes have already been related to the persons in charge, besides them, everyone will just have to go on with their assigned tasks. Does anyone have any questions? If none, then you may go to your places.”  

As far as I know, the changes were only the concern of the editors since there was a change in the sequence or the timeline. In my case, everything’s the same as what was rehearsed last time.

As the group went on with their tasks, Director Shin held on to me for a moment longer.

“Minho, for the last scene, I want you to be spontaneous.”

“…huh?”

“You know, just go with the flow. Feel your surroundings, the atmosphere and be lost in it. You see, great actors don’t just seize the moment, rather, they let the moment seize them. And that’s what I want you to do. Don’t you worry, I got your back.” Director Shin said it with a wink, and then he left immediately after, not letting me to question it further.

Let the moment seize me? What the hell does it mean?

As all preparations were made, all eyes were on Soojung and I. We were standing at the center waiting for the director’s cue. The last scene, ‘look at each other, exchange I love yous and then embrace’, just like what we’ve rehearsed.

“Everyone on stand-by. Lights! Camera! Action!”

Right on cue, our eyes found each other. As Soojung was staring back at me, I can’t help but feel how lucky I am to be loved by her. I kept staring and staring at her and wonder in amusement on why a mischievous grin suddenly appeared on Soojung’s face? My query was answered when she said “I love you”. I smiled at the realization, that was my line! I should have said it first but I’ve totally forgotten it. No wonder Soojung smiled teasingly.

This time, I recalled the script and embraced her as I was told. The instant that I held Soojung, her scent, her warmth and the feel of her in my arms besieged my senses that it sent my heart in frenzy again. I closed my eyes for a moment and held her tighter as I let my emotions consume me. When I was certain of what I wanted to do, I broke our hug, stared at her and did what my heart told me... I kissed her.

 Screw that script. The management would no doubt scold me for my irrational acts, but I could care less. I am overwhelmed by our surroundings, my emotions, Soojung’s presence and the taste of her lips… Is this what it means to let the moment seize me? I don’t know, but right now I just needed to kiss her.

And Soojung’s answer? A deeper, concrete kiss. I can’t help but smile in our kisses, nor can she. The fact that she didn’t retract despite the presence of all these people and despite being filmed for the whole world to see, could only mean one thing… her message is clear. She’s not kissing me for work’s sake, not for the fans, and definitely not for the cameras. This is real now…this kiss is for us.

The need for air ended our kisses. Lips still hovering by her ear, my words spill out in a breathy sigh, "I love you, Jung Soojung."… Soojung was teary-eyed when she smiled at me and so was I. Not a second later, our smiles broke into light loving laughter as I embraced her once again, swaying left and right.

"Okay. Cut!" Director Shin’s voice echoed throughout the silent room.

Everyone else in the set was too stunned to react. Meanwhile, Soojung and I are still lost in our own little world.

Unlike in the rehearsal when the director ended the scene, Soojung didn’t let go of me abruptly. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. This time, our touches, our glances, our smiles… they lingered.

“That was a good take! No, that was actually perfect! Good job everyone!” Director Shin’s roaring cheerful voice coupled with clapping hands has somehow awakened the silent crowd. One by one, the crowd started cheering and clapping as well. They went on congratulating each other for a job well done. There were endless chatters, and some of them were worth noting…

“Mrs. Han is a genius! That last minute change in the script was brilliant. I didn’t expect that they’d add another kiss-scene. It caught me by surprise.”

“Exactly! I thought it was real! If I didn’t know that they were doing a promotional ad, I would have believed that the two were dating. Director Shin had casted them perfectly, their chemistry is really palpable.”

“Yes, I thought so too! Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking like that. It was really believable, like wow. They were so gooood.!”

Soojung and I exchanged glances, “Should we tell them?”

“No, we better not.” And just like that, everything was back to normal.

When film

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter