The day before

Ticking Time

Chapter twelve

10-07-15

The day before (2.5)


 

 

 

Things changed.

 

Baekhyun noticed how much closer Jongin and Kyungsoo became. It wasn’t a humongous change, but it was noticeable for Baekhyun, who saw the two almost all morning, afternoon and evening. They’d help him out a lot as well, whenever he needed help, Kyungsoo would come in without having Baekhyun asking and help him out immediately.

The room was always filled with people, either from the team or his friends.

 

Things between Baekhyun and Chanyeol became much better. As the latter began to be less egocentric, more caring, Baekhyun started to like him more and more as  real friend. HE didn’t throw egocentric comments around anymore, or at least less than he did before. It must be a habit, an unnoticeable one.

But whenever the taller did notice, he’d apologize.

 

Just how one night, one short moment, could change their whole relationship; in a good way.

 

When it came to the festival, Baekhyun was an absolute mess. He became busier than ever and everyone from the team would come to his room at any moment, giving him almost no time for himself to do things. His room was always filled with people, either from the team to work or his friends. Whenever they needed stuff, Baekhyun would arrange it for them.

He already had the big hall and a lot tables for the festival in his possession and if he needed more, he just had to go around asking the teachers. He didn’t know how, but they always managed to get whatever they needed.

There were days whereon Baekhyun would be proud of what he did that day and reward himself with a night of sleeping.

But there were more days where Baekhyun would stay up until late to get everything organised well. Days where he’d his off when people told him they couldn’t get something done before the deadline and where he’d be running around the school to find the things he needed.

Today was such day. It was the day before the big day and although he had done everything that needed to get done, and there was actually nothing to panic about anymore, there was only one thing left; and that one thing was music. Something Baekhyun and Chanyeol would do together, but the latter was nowhere to be found at the moment.

Baekhyun had a whole DJ-set lying on the table, the only thing missing was the music. He wasn’t great with certain devices and had no idea how to put in the music and stuff.

 

The whole afternoon, he and Kyungsoo had been working on the food. Preparing a dozen of everything and making the others bring it away for them. But while Kyungsoo was already sleeping, exhausted from cooking all day, Baekhyun had to wait until his roommate came home from wherever he was.

He sighed as he grabbed the notebook he’d been keeping up from the day he actually started and flopped down on the couch, scrolling through it.

‘’Food’s done, seven tables set up in total.’’ He muttered.

The decorations are with me, will be collected by the decoration team and set up tomorrow after school.

Invitations are long gone-‘’ The sound of the door closing made him stop talking and look up.

‘’What took you so long?’’ He asked and closed the book, looking over the back of the couch. Chanyeol was probably still in the tiny hall, taking off his jacket or something. His roommate didn’t reply. Baekhyun sighed, thinking of the worst – the worst being what happened a few days ago (last chapter) – and mentally prepared himself.

He did not want to deal with an angry Chanyeol again.

‘’Yah, Chanyeol.’’ Baekhyun called out. He heard some shuffling by the door, letting him know that he wasn’t hallucinating and that there really was someone. After a few more seconds of silence, Baekhyun decided to take a look.

He threw the notebook on the table and walked to the tiny, open hall, but before he could go there, a person walked out of it. That wasn’t Chanyeol at all. Although they were at same height, this guy was much bigger and had a handsome expression.

‘’You must be Baekhyun.’’ The stranger extended a hand. ‘’Nice to meet you.’’

‘’The are you?’’ Baekhyun said, not even bothering to spare a glance at the outstretched hand. ‘’Where did you get the keys from and where the is Chanyeol?’’

‘’So many questions, jeez.’’ The stranger clacked his tongue and dropped his hand back to his side.

‘’Answer.’’

‘’Well my name is Mingun and I lend the keys from Chanyeol who was busy playing with a friend of mine.’’ He smirked.

‘’Then why are you here?’’  Baekhyun asked, not liking the nasty smirk the other had plastered on his proud face. Mingun shrugged. ‘’I wanted to play for a bit as well.’’

Baekhyun frowned, but soon after the words left Mingun’s mouth, a wall of ice appeared behind him. he tilted his head as Baekhyun’s as widened. Before he could react, Mingun’s hair turned white-blue as sharp icicles flew his way.

Baekhyun’s eyes became bigger as he let himself fall on the ground to dodge them before rolling away. He jumped up in ninja-style and didn’t think as he shot back multiple rays of light before blinding him. He hit him on his arm, burning through the first two layers of skin before his skin turned a bright shade of red. A scream left Mingun’s mouth when the light hit him and he fell on his knees, clutching his left arm.

 

Baekhyun thought he had won already, just how wrong he was. When he blinded people, he had control over their eyes. But when Mingun looked back up at him with so much happiness, Baekhyun knew it was just the beginning.

Mingun stood back up again and immediately stretched out his arms, creating two ice walls on each side of Baekhyun before they slowly reduced the space in between. But Baekhyun wasn’t that easily and extended his hands to the sides, shooting two huge, exploding light balls at the ice without much effort. A loud ‘BANG’ was heard as the ice shattered. Baekhyun remained where he was, smirking up mischievously at Mingun’s now startles and dumfounded expression.

Two could play this game.

Only one could win.

 

There was a moment of silence. Baekhyun stared into Mingun’s deep, black eyes. Mingun stared back at his, waiting for the right moment to attack. But there was never a right moment to attack in a situation like this.

After another second, they both attacked. Both at the same time. Ice coming into contact with Light, coldness against heat. There was a huge blast before everything turned dark.

 

 

¬

 

 

‘’LET ME OUT!’’ Chanyeol yelled at the top of his lungs as he surrounded himself with multiple firelanes, trying to melt the thick layers of ice around him away. But no matter how long he tried, the guy – from whom he still didn’t know the name – would thicken the layers. Chanyeol had been stuck for half an hour, and it was draining his energy.

He didn’t even know how he ended up here. He was walking around, going back to his room to help Baekhyun with the finishing touch for tomorrow when all of a sudden, two guys appeared in front of him and started fighting him.

He didn’t even know those guys!

 

The fire around him became wilder and the ice started to slim. He thought he was almost there and heated everything up even more, when all of a sudden, he heard a huge explosion, light radiating from the dorms.

The boy dorms.

Somewhere in the middle.

 

Light.

 

Baekhyun!

 

 

¬

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun coughed out loudly as he opened his eyes. He hadn’t out, just closed them before the blast came. He was lying on his side but stood up when he remembered Mingun. He swayed a bit, but was okay.

The room however, wasn’t okay. Everything was broken, covered in a layer bricks that came from nowhere or glass as the windows had shattered from the force. He couldn’t find Mingun as he slowly tilted his head to the sides. The room was covered in a layer of dust, making it hard to see through it. He slowly pushed himself off the ground and saw how the room began to repair itself. Out of the blue. The shattered glass pieces flew up and floated back to the window, the demolished floor healed again, the furniture stood back up and everything returned to its previous place as if nothing ever happened.

 

The dust was vacuumed out of the room…

 

 

Just before Mingun jumped through it with an angry roar, right in top of him. Baekhyun fell back on the – now healed – marble floor in shock as the bigger boy sat down on his stomach and pinned his wrist down on the floor. A thick bracelet of ice immediately grew from the floor and stuck his wrist to it, making it impossible for Baekhyun to move it.

He was about to do the same with his other wrist, but Baekhyun punched him with it first. While the ice boy was dazed, Baekhyun tried to break the ice around his wrist, trying to explode it with light; but it was too thick. It kept re-appearing.

He didn’t see it coming when a punch was aimed at him, with full speed hitting his jaw, making his head fall back and his eyes close. His other wrist was immediately pinned to the floor with a layer of ice as well.

There was a moment of silence, where only Mingun’s pants and the loud, ticking of the clock were audible. A small smirk bloomed on Baekhyun’s face when he felt a particular strength flow through his veins.

He opened his eyes, feeling different immediately. Feeling how his world brightened up and Mingun stiffened. He slowly turned his head back to Mingun, who stared down at him in fear.

 

 

His left eye had turned bright white, a long black scar in the middle of it, making it look like he was blind. His right eye stayed black. His fingertips touched the ice around his wrists before it shattered, catching Mingun of guard who immediately stumbled off him and ran back. But before he could open the door and leave the room, the door was opened by someone else instead, making him jump back in fear.

That someone was a particular Park Chanyeol, fuming as he walked into the room with heavy, angry steps. Baekhyun sat up to watch, although there wasn’t much to see as Chanyeol dragged Mingun out of the room, beat him up there before he went back in.

 

 

It looked like nothing had happened that night.

 

 

Like Baekhyun had been waiting for Chanyeol to come all the time.

 

 

Everything looked normal, aside from his eye.

 

When Chanyeol came back in, he of course immediately noticed it, together with the ice on the ground. He crouched down in front of Baekhyun and cupped his face, tilting it up to take a look at his eye.

‘’What happened?’’ He breathed out, staring at the bright white eye with mixed emotions and mixed thoughts.

Baekhyun shrugged with a small, creepy smile. ‘’He made me angry, activated it.’’ He said delightfully, scaring Chanyeol a bit. Baekhyun swatted away the hands and stood up from the ground, leaving Chanyeol in his crouched position, confused and dumbfounded.

While Baekhyun started dancing around in the house, high on happiness and smiling the whole time, Chanyeol just sat on the ground, looking up at the strange behaviour his roommate had, and then there was the eye.

The bright white eye with the black scratch inside looked overall horrible. But Baekhyun didn’t seem to mind it at all, he was even happy about it. Or he was drugged.

 

Whatever it was, it stopped quite fast as Baekhyun suddenly fell on the ground and passed out.

Chanyeol chuckled. ‘’Just, what is going on?’’ He asked himself as he heaved himself on his feet and walked up to the skinny slump on the floor. His left eye was still glowing, even though his eyes were closed.

It was presumably the aftermath of being busy panicking all week, Chanyeol thought. Trying to come up with a good reason for him to become this way.

He crouched down and carefully carried the weightless boy up in his arms. Although there was some weight, it wasn’t much. Probably only his bones weighed something.

Chanyeol carried him off the ground and held him close to his chest as he carried him upstairs to his room, laying him in his bed. Chanyeol didn’t fail to notice how much nicer the room was than his’ as he tucked his roommate in tightly.

 

The night was definitely the strangest night ever.

 

With a tired heart, Chanyeol went to bed as well before all the lights in the apartment turned off.

 

 

¬

 

 

Baekhyun awoke in the middle of the night. His half-lidded eye was back to normal and throbbing slightly. It had been a long time since the last time his eyes turned white, although only one turned now. The scar was invisible due the blackness of his eyes, so it always shocked people whenever his eyes lit up. The scar caused his eyes to have trouble with that, so lately, only one would turn.

For some reason, it would change his mood drastically, either becoming overly excited or angry.

But he wasn’t really thinking about his eye and mood change. There was only one thought occupying his mind.

 

‘MUSIC!’

He had completely forgotten about it and since there was no time for it tomorrow, he decided to do it now. Baekhyun softly jumped out of the bed and ran downstairs. It was almost two in the morning, but he didn’t feel tired at all as he grabbed the notebook and a laptop he borrowed from the school and sat down at the dining table, beside the DJ-set. He had already decided that Chanyeol was going to do the DJ-ing stuff tomorrow. It wouldn’t hurt if he did one more thing right?

‘’It’ll probably only take an hour or something?’’ Baekhyun murmured to himself as he began writing down the music.

 

 

 

 

He was right about the hour, after one hour, he had written down all the music.

 

 

 

 

After another hour, he had managed to put half of his list on the laptop and was searching for the other half.

 

 

 

 

When the third hour passed, and it was five in the morning, and Baekhyun was almost done. His eyes were droopy, heavy bags beneath them. He only had to install them and he was done, plugging in a long wire in both the laptop and set, he proceeded to put it all on there.

It was a long process. The grey bar on the screen wasn’t even halfway green when Baekhyun felt his head getting heavier before darkness suddenly came to get him. The last thing he felt was his head hitting the table before he passed out for the second time that day. Now with a reassured heart.