Chapter 3

Dream Lover

  "Um, um, hi. Thanks." she stuttered, pulling away from me, looking down and seeming to shrink into herself. She fidgeted with the hem of the oversized sweater she was wearing, matted wet hair in her eyes. I took a step forward, gently lifting her chin with on hand and capturing her hands with the other. I looked into her eyes, seeing the dim covering of her soul, the soul that was just begging to be set free to reach her full potential, though she had yet to realize it. Call me overly romantic, or a hopeless dreamer, though I can tell you first hand it is never hopeless to dream. Even when you are working on something perceived as more practical, keep your dreams. They can be a source of comfort and inspiration. I knew I wanted to help this girl. I just didn't know how I could yet.

  His touch was so gentle, I wanted to bolt and never come back.But, where do you hide from the Master of Dreams? I'm not sure why I believed him when he told me he was Morpheus. Maybe it was because we were already in a dream. It seemed at though he actually noticed me, and I wasn't used to that. I'm used to being invisible. From the moment I looked into his eyes he made me want to find a dream of my own, and I wasn't comfortable with that. I didn't dream. I barely existed.

  Oh my little hidden gem. It hurt already that she didn't realize how special she was going to be to me. Being Morpheus, I was allowed any dreams I liked while searching for my true dream, and that included love at first sight. She wouldn't feel the same way of course, and I didn't want to scare her off by admitting to her I was in love. Plus she was very young. I would have to court her gently if I was ever going to have a chance of her agreeing to be with me. Maybe that was the beginning of realizing what my true dream was going to be.

  I pulled away from him. It's not that he hurt me or I didn't like it. As I stated before, I wasn't used to being noticed and I was very uncomfortable with the feeling. I expected him to leave, or for me to wake up, or maybe even for him to try to force me into something, but none of that happened. Instead Ryeowook asked if he could take me someplace drier, and carefully extended his hand to me as though I were a scared kitten who would bite and scratch. He also asked for something unexpected. He asked for my name. Nobody wants my name. Even my mother, who rarely seems to realize I still exist unless I'm nagging about bills or food, never calls me by name. To my teachers and classmates, I'm just a nameless body in the back corner who can't grasp mathematics.

  I took a step back and waited patiently to see if she would answer. I could have just rummaged through her mind and found it, but no, I couldn't do that to such a fragile, timid girl. I'd be no better than a monster then. Fortunately, I am capable of extreme patience now. I also wanted to conjure up a dream of a warm sunny beach instead of this dark rainy forest, but I wasn't about to force anything. I might have mastery over dreams, but I was going to respect what was hers. Finally she spoke, having made her decision. It was almost too soft for me to hear, but she'd chosen to trust me with the first gift anyone is given when they're born and take their first breaths. She let me know her name. Still not looking at me or willing to take my hand she whispered, "Boseog. My name is Kim Boseog." Boseog, meaning gem or jewel. Unusual choice for a name, but entirely suitable for her.

A/N It's taken me a while to get back to this story. I was finishing up a couple others, plus I wasn't sure what to say. This is a new style for me and I'm still getting comfortable with it. Two of my other story babies are ending soon, so hopefully I'll be able to focus more on this. I'm very fond of Ryeowook and Boseog already and I want to do their story justice.