Chapter 1

Dream Lover

  I was fourteen when I first met him in my dreams. A slender pixie-like man, with black hair and beautiful eyes. I was just a lonely teenager. My dad had run off when I was quite young, and my mom tried, but she was clearly depressed. She drank when she wasn't at work or asleep. I tried to be a good daughter and keep the house clean and do the cooking, and remind Mom when we needed to get groceries and when the bills needed to be paid. I did my best in school too, but I had a lot of trouble in math and we couldn't afford a tutor. Born without the math gene my mom called it once, when she was sober and had taken me to the amusement park for the day. She'd found a boyfriend who seemed like a really nice guy, til she found out he was married. She relapsed into alcoholism after that.

  She was stunning, at least in my eyes, when I first became aware of her, a petite brunette with porcelain skin and a beautiful soul. There was pain in her life of course. There has to be to come to my personal attention. Who am I? Some call me Morpheus. Others, the Sandman. There have been many names give to my position over the centuries. I'm just the latest to hold it. My real name is Kim Ryeowook, and before I became the Dreamweaver, I was the third youngest, eternal maknae, and fourth heaviest drinker of the Korean idol group Super Junior.

  Did I die? Of course not. It's not like when Death changes who holds the position. When SuJu's contracts expired and we decided to disband and go our separate ways, I wanted something completely different to do with my life, but I had no idea what. I was dreaming one night when the prior Morpheus came to talk to me. He'd found his true dream and wanted to reenter mortal life. I've lived my first dream and needed a new one, so I took the job.

  I'm not quite sure how long I've been doing this actually. I know all my group mates are gone now. They kept in touch with each other after we all separated and I'd visit them as well, in dreams. Most married locally or went back to their hometowns and had families. Heechul ran off to China to track down Hangeng and make sure they were still friends, then surprised everyone  by settling in Taiwan and marrying his virtual wife from We Got Married Global. They had the cutest little boy. Truthfully, I think everyone figured he was gay. Siwon and his wife became missionaries. Henry went back to Canada as a violinist. Eunhyuk and Donghae went with him since they couldn't legally marry in South Korea and were tired of lying and just being "best friends". Zhou Mi also went back to China, but stayed single his entire life.

  I will admit, Ryeowook was quite the charmer from the moment I met him. I figured I was either that desperate, or had gone crazy to dream up such a man. To be honest though, I didn't really care. Even though he was imaginary, he was better than what I had, which was nothing really.