Summer

The Four Seasons

                      

The Heat

 

“I’m dying,” he slugged onto his words as he slouched by the cold floor in nothing except for his Bermuda shorts, bare torso, completed with a small, electric fan in his hand. “You’re impossible,” came a reply from the hallway near him but he heed in nothing as he ignored and saved himself wallowing in the heat.

 

Soon enough, he saw a blur of movement from the kitchen passing on his spot towards the couch. Entrancing not by the beautiful petite woman who was wearing also nothing but the revealing, summer dress, he was much more interested by the cold, delicious treat in her hand.

 

“What do you get there?” he simply asked, still doing nothing except to continue his laziness away. “You’re alive?” she encountered back, eyes were round in shock, mocking him who was now scoffing in annoyance. “It’s hot,” he answered her before standing up, walking towards her and throwing himself by her side.

 

Silence as she wasn’t retorting yet she ignored him and continued shoving in the cold ice shaved into , embracing the sense of coldness within her body. He who was calmly sitting next to her couldn’t wait no more when he witnessed the large bowl that previously contained the ice shaved was now almost less than half left and quickly chirped, “You won’t share it with me Taeng?”

 

“Oh, you want some?” she asked him innocently as her fingers stopped in the half-way before , eyes fixated onto his façade whom now was completely shattered in disbelief seeing how the woman of his life betraying him with a simple treat of cold. Witnessing his blank expression, she waved the spooned treat in front of his face before asking him again, “Do you want some Ji?”

 

Stilled and frozen, she shrugged him off and continued eating the treat until it was finished. Then only he realized, “You ate my portion,” he sulkily accused her, sending her to be amazed with his childishness behavior for a moment. “You really are impossible,” she rebutted back as she took in his pouting lips, arms crossed and sullen expression.

 

“You do know that sulking will do you nothing right?” she asked him but got nothing in response as he continued to sulk. Sighing, she heaved up from the couch and walked back to the kitchen with the dirty bowl only to come out with a tub of ice cream.

 

“You’re making me doing everything Ji,” she said as she placed it in front of him and watched him devouring them off. Next, he was up and ran off towards the kitchen sink with her on his trail. She helped him on to ease the bitterness in his throat and washed over his face with the running water.

 

Sitting by the counter, she urged him to drink before gathering him into a hug as she held herself from laughing at his misery. “There, there Ji, you need to halt on your sweet tooth for a while okay, let’s just rest down for the rest of the day,” she coaxed him and felt him nodded against her stomach as he kissed her still flat stomach, before mumbling, “How many days still?”

 

“A few more weeks I think, she didn’t really say but usually it lasts around 6 to 8 weeks or longer,” she explained. “I have few more weeks to be like this-” “Are you complaining?” he cringed with her voice filled the silence ambience. He shrugged and brushed her off before standing up and walking off to their bedroom, “Let’s nap, I’m dying”.

 

# one more and i'm done