Taeyang

Spotlight

Just Yesterday my father passed away, and here I am going to Seoul to attend a new school. Usually people in my situation would stay at home and do the rituals that are suppose to be done but my uncle told me to fufill my fathers last wishes and that is why I am headed to Seoul. I was on the bus on my way to Seoul Dance Academy. It was the academy for the best of the best, Korea's top notch dancers all graduated from there, hearing that I applied for the school. I had to audition and I was selected amongst thousands of participants. I was glad that I was accepeted because now I can show the world what I have to offer. On the bus I was listening to Micheal Jackson, he was my inspiration. I loved the way he moved and grooved. The name King of Pop suits him well. After an hour of being stuck on the bus I finally arrived to Seoul. I didn't expect Seoul to be so modernized. I am from the country side, a place call Bugang-Ri, so I didn't know much outside of it. Now I am by myself in Seoul.  It was easy to find Seoul Dance Academy because everyone recognized it and when I asked them they would lead the way. After getting to SDA I went to the front gate to ask them where the main office is.

"Excuse me sir where is the main office?" I asked.

"Go straight then turn to the left on the first turn and turn right after that and it will be there." the man said.

"Thank You" I thanked him.

So as the man said I walked straight and made a left turn at the first left and made a right at the next stop, and fortunately the office was there, I opened the door and walked in. 

"Sorry to disturb you but I am here to meet Mr. SanE" I said.

"And what's your name son?" The lady asked.

"Dong Youngbae" I replied.

"Oh Mr Dong yes he is in the office to your right." she said.

"Thank You" I said then turned to my right.

I knocked on the door and a man my age open the door

"Hello sir my name is Dong Youngbae" I said.

"Dude I'm not San E he is inside" The guy infront of me said. "I'm Jay Park"

"Oh sorry about that, I didn't know." I said embarrassed. "Nice to meet you Jay Park"

"You can go inside I just finished talking to him, oh by the way, he is a pretty chill guy don't be too nervous." Jay Park said. "And call me Jay"

"Thank you Jay" I said and walked in.

"Hello Mr. San E I am Dong Youngbae" I introduced myself.

"Ah Youngbae I was expecting you, Sorry for your loss" Mr San E said.

"Thank you sir but how did you find out?" I asked.

"Your uncle called and told me about your loss." He replied. "Well welcome to SDA"

"Thank You sir" I said.

"Enough with the sir" he said. "Just call me San E"

"Okay San E" I said.

"Well you just met Jay right?" he asked

i nodded

"Well I was just asking him if he was okay with you being is roommate and he is fine with it, and here is your schedule for today if you want to start, you can start tomorrow if you want." San E said.

"I will gladly start today" I said.

"Okay great" San E said. "Just wait I will call someone down to take you to your room and then to your class, most of the students here all have the same schedule so it is a lot easier to make friends and rivals" 

"Okay" I said and waited. 

After a couple of minute a girl enters the room.

"San E you called?" she said.

"Yes I want you to take the young man there to his room, he is roommates with Jay" he said pointing at me.

The girl turned around and smiled, she was adorable and beautiful.

"Oh hello, I am Chorong nice to meet you" she said.

"Nice to meet you too, I am Dong Youngbae" I said.

"You can follow me, I will take you to your room" she said.

I started to follow her to my room, 

"So where are you from?" she asked.

"Bugang-Ri" I said.

"Wait what? Bugang-Ri?" She asked shocked.

"Yeah why?" I asked curiously.

"I am also from Bugang-Ri" she said.

"Wow thats cool." I said, 

I was also suprised too, I didn't expect someone from Bugang-Ri to be here.

"Well here is your room" she said.

"Thank you" I said. 

"I'll wait here because we probably have the same schedule we can head there together, you can put your stuff away and come" she said.

I was glad I was able to make two friends, well I wasn't sure if Jay is a friend yet but I can tell Chorong is a friend. I opened the door and there were two beds, one was occupied with stuff, probably Jay's stuff, the other one was empty so I put my stuff on that bed and I saw Jay getfing out of the washroom.

"Oh you are here" Jay said.

"Yea i'm about to head out to class" I said.

"Wait for me we should go together" Jay said.

"Okay I'll wait outside." I said and he nodded.

I go outside and see Chorong waiting.

"Hey I'm back" I said.

"Should we go now?" she asked

"Jay said we should wait for him" I sadi.

"Jay was inside too?" She asked 

I nodded "Why?"

"San E was looking for him" she said.

"He already talked to San E" I said. "I saw him talking to him before I met San E"

"Oh Okay then" she said.

After a couple of minutes Jay comes out.

"Yah are you a girl what took you so long?" I asked.

"Sorry" Jay said. "You didn't say Chorong was waiting outside"

"Look at you two, you just met but you're acting like you know each other for a long time" Chorong teased us.

"Well we are roommates now so we should atleast look like one" Jay said and I nodded in agreement.

"You two are teaming up against me now?" she said looking mad.

We all laughed at her look. I don't why but being with these two made me forget about my dad, and I thought it was for the best. We finally made it to my first class at the academy. I go to the teacher and introduce myself.

"Hello sir I am Dong Youngbae" I said.

"Don't call me sir call me Jin or Jin-Young." he said. "Welcome to my class"

I was suprised at how the prinicpal and the teachers are all friendly and they were chill.

"So Youngbae do you have a stage name?" Jin asked

"No I dont" I said.

"Well Let's see what your skill is then I will decide one for you." Jin said.

"Wait!" A voice called.

"What do you want Yang Suk" Jin asked.

"I was the one who selected him amongst the other participant therefore I have the right to give him the stage name" Yang said.

"Okay Youngbae show us what you got" both of them said. 

"Class shut up the new  student is about to recieve his stage name." Jin said.

Everyone surrounded and formed a big circle around me and I could see Chorong and Jay supporting me. The music started playing, I just stood there for a moment to listen to the beat, after figuring it out and figuring out the rhythm,  started to dance. Dancing was my way of expressing my feeling, whether it was sorrow or happiness or even love, I would express it through dance. As I was dancing memory of my dad came and went, He was the first person who ever saw me dance, he was the one who complimented me first, so I was dancing this dance to say goodbye to him. I started to remember the past when he would take me out to the field to have a picnic. It was a bright sunny day, my dad said that I looked like a Taeyang. (Sun in korean) I always remembered that word because it was something that my dad gave me when I was little. I finally snapped out to reality and saw that everyone was in tears even Jay, I stopped dancing and the music stopped. 

"Wow that was amazing"both Yang and Jin said wiping their tears.

"Thank you" I said.

"For your stage name, you were shining bright like the sun while you were dancing and me and Jin have come to an agreement to give you the name Taeyang" Yang said "What do you think"

"I love it, my father once said that too when I was little, I think while I was dancing it brought back some memories" I said.

"From now on forward we will call you Taeyang." Jin said.

"I understand" I said.

"Yo Taeyang man that was amazing, I can't believe you made everyone here cry with just your movement" Jay said.

"Thanks man" I said.

"Taeyang that was the best dancing I've ever seen in this school, I think you are better than him" Chorong said pointing at Jay and he pouted

"Naw I'm just a beginner and I have so much more to learn, I think Jay is better than me" I said,

"Well class is over and I have a date with Suzy" Jay said.

"You have a girlfriend?" I asked

"Yea" Jay said.

"Why are you dating her? you know she hates me for what ever reason." Chorong said.

"Why what happened?" I asked.

"Well Suzy and her friend Ailee have hated me ever since I came to the school, they make fun of me for being from Bugang-Ri" She said.

"Hey don't worry then you are not alone" I said to comfort her.

"Taeyang oppa!" a voice said.

"Hi who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Ailee and I think I like you, your dancing is off the charts amazing." she said.

"Oh thank you" I said.

"Where in Seoul are you from?" she asked me thinking I'm from Seoul.

"Sorry I am not from Seoul I am from Bugang-Ri" I replied

"What! no way oppa you are way to cool to be from the same place as her" she said pointing at Chorong.

"Woah woah, I am from Bugang-Ri, if you want ask San E and who cares if we are from the countryside what difference would it make?" I asked

"Sorry I am mistaken you are not worth talking to" she said and left.

"What an attitude" i said and Chorong laughed. "Hey you alright?"

"Yeah I am" she said. Taeyang when is your birthday?"

"May 18 1988 why?" I asked.

"Mine is March 3 1991" she said "Since you are older than me can I call you oppa?"

"If you want, It doesn't matter, but why all of the sudden?" I asked. "Was it because you were jealous of AIlee calling me oppa?"

"No its not no" she said.

"What are you going to do now that class is over?" I asked not knowing where to go or what to do.

"Right totally forgot you were a new student" she said. "Well want to see a movie?"

"A movie, sure which movie?" I asked. "Who else is coming?"

"Lets go see Jurassic Park and it just the two of us" she said. "Think of it as a date with a girl from the same district"

"A date? what" I asked suprised.

"What you too have never went on a date?" she asked.

"What do you mean too?" I asked.

"Me too i have never went on one but since you are from Bugang-ri and because you can dance well I want to go on one with" she said.

She was cute when she said it because she seemed nervous but what the heck she was beautiful and adorable. Dad i think I might've found the right girl for me i thought to myself