six

Let It Rain

i'm back!! with my first final tomorrow lmao anyway ITS THE FINALE!! some Great scenes right here! (Barely any Jinyoung tho, sorry fam) Ignore how cheesy the ending it I'd had that ending planned for like 3 years I had to include it! Don't be too disappointed ok I apologize in advance of you reading it.. thank you for reading this whole thing !! I might have a new fic in the summer so read it pls ok that's it author out <3


    The rest of the day flew by smoothly, nothing too bad Sooyoung wouldn’t be able to handle. The families’ plans went into action and the barbecue as well as Sooyoung’s cousins came that evening. Sooyoung wasn’t sure whether it was unfortunate that Jinyoung planned her and Jinah’s ‘date’ during that evening or not, but she accepted it. Her cousins could get quite crazy if she remembered correctly.

 

    Around six in the evening they set off, about an hour after Sooyoung’s cousins had made the family gathering a ‘party’. Jinyoung determined their date would be a good old dinner date, having a ‘romantic getaway’ on the roof of a nearby Italian restaurant. The two going on the ‘date’ hated the idea because it was so cheesy and silly, but were forced to go anyway.

 

    Despite being totally against the idea, by the time they were sitting down at their reserved table, they were glad it happened. “I love getting free expensive food by someone I hate,” Sooyoung remarked as she ate another piece of delicious bread.

 

    “I’m also surprised he’s paying for the meal himself, I expected him to make me pay the bill.” Jinah then grabbed herself some more of the Italian cuisine, looking smug.

 

    “I’m not really sure what more we have to talk about though,” Sooyoung added afterward. The two women had eaten together so many times it felt like there was nothing more to discuss. 

 

    Jinah nodded subtly, “I agree to a degree, since we have talked to each other very often about a variety of subjects. I disagree in the fact that there an infinite number of ideas to discuss with every passing day and that I’m positive we haven’t hit that amount yet.”

 

    Sooyoung admitted she was started to get tired of Jinah’s perfect responses to everything. Sure it added to her list of near perfections, but somebody perfect wasn’t exactly what Sooyoung was looking for. Wait…what am I looking for? Why am I looking? She ended up saying, “Well, since you said that, why don’t you go and start a conversation that we haven’t had yet?”

 

    Her boss’ facial expression changed immediately and she could tell she was in deep thought. Approximately half a second later she started speaking again, “We can discuss types of wood.”

 

    Sooyoung rolled her eyes, saying sarcastically, “Yes, because my main concern is what kind of wood the house I live in is.” Before Jinah had time to reply to her comment, she added, “I have a great idea! Why don’t we discuss how I still don’t know why you’re anxious around rain?”

 

    The topic snapped Jinah in surprise, it had seemed so long since someone last brought it up. The fashion designer carefully and swiftly flip-flopped in her mind on what to say back before actual letting out words, trying not to sound too vague or too exact. “That’s a good discussion topic. I see that you’re still curious about that, which is understandable as well as shocking. You’ve been working under me for a year and it has been your main concern this whole time. Let’s discuss how you’ve been putting almost everything into finding out this one thing about me. How much will it add to your life? Is it truly worth all of this work?”

 

    Oh , she good thought Sooyoung. She didn’t know she was going to be interrogated about her lifestyle tonight. She tried her best of how to defend herself while they ordered their main meals, a satisfied Jinah across from her. Eventually, she came to say this, “I have just as much right as anybody to know your secrets! I am aware you have a right to keep them, but you also have a right to say them. People say it’s best to say your secrets and feelings so you can be reconciled and no longer feel bad. Wouldn’t you like that?” Sooyoung proudly smiled without showing her teeth and looked at her glass of water, avoiding Jinah’s eyes.

 

    Jinah didn’t have to think much in response, “I can see where you’re thinking, but people also say there’s some secrets not worth sharing without a prize. That’s exactly why I haven’t shared mine to you yet. Of course, I could not share it at all if you didn’t act like your life depended on it.”

 

     Sooyoung sighed, this debate was getting harder and harder to support on her side. “I’m not acting like my life depends on it! I still work hard in the office and attend my other activities!”

 

    Jinah crossed her arms, her facial expression a visualization of her strong accusations at Sooyoung. There was a pang in Sooyoung’s chest and a part of her felt immediately heavily attracted to it. She began to panic on the inside about it and worried how far her internal struggle would go. Jinah cocked her head slightly to the side, “I see I see…tell me what those hobbies are exactly?”

 

    I’m in deep trouble, Sooyoung thought frantically. She tried to scoff it easily, “You know, I draw and go on walks and do yoga sometimes and other things that you don’t need to know.” Nailed it.

 

     “Oh really? I also enjoy yoga, we should go together sometime on the weekend. If I don’t need to know it, why do you need to know my rain secret?” 

 

    Sooyoung felt so exasperated, this woman was the epitome of frustration! Her mind also went to images of Jinah in tight outfits doing yoga and a light blush appeared on her face. “That topic is banned from this dinner table from now on! Banned!” 

 

    Sooyoung’s boss flipped her hair and nodded, “If that’s what you want, I’ll agree.” The taller girl uncrossed her arms and set them on the table, her eyes expressing the complete opposite of just seconds earlier. “Would you like to continue our discussion on hobbies?” 

 

    They went the next hour talking about anything from movies to dolls to laptop prices, which were surprisingly nothing they had previously discussed from countless hours of lunch together. The duo had to take a picture of the receipt to confirm the ‘date’ to Jinyoung. In the car ride back to the house, Jinah indicated she wasn’t in a hurry to go back to the residence and stopped them in an open field she happened to drive by. Sooyoung thought it was a silly idea and that it was something only people in dramas would do, even if she didn’t necessarily like the idea of going back either. 

 

    Jinah insisted and the two ended up staring at the stars, or at least Jinah at the stars and Sooyoung at Jinah. She wondered what it was like to be that beautiful, that mesmerizing, and have a fantastic mind behind everything. Jinah knew Sooyoung was looking at her for awhile, but let her be, she was too busy examining the stars. She could be fascinated by them for hours, an astrologist being her backup job when her brand eventually failed.

 

    “So…is there anything to talk about still? Maybe chairs…or tables…or light bulbs!” Sooyoung tried her best to spark a conversation, not wanting the whole awkward staring situation to continue. She turned to face the stars as well and sighed.

    “I have a great idea, why don’t we just stay silent and ponder the mysteries of the universe?” Jinah wanted the atmosphere to stay quiet, just how she liked it. 

 

    Sooyoung sat more relaxed in her chair, “Fine, fine. I guess you wouldn’t like to ponder the mysteries of the universe together then?” 

 

    “Together…” Jinah whispered, she had never realized she could talk those kind of things with others. She had attempted to at a time, but the other person was never able to understand what she meant or why she would want to in the first place. She turned to her employee, “Are you sure? It wouldn’t bother you?”

 

    Sooyoung smiled, “Of course it wouldn’t bother me! I rarely hear your insight on the world outside of fashion.” They talked about the mysteries of the world and how it works, and Jinah was pleased to find Sooyoung a great conversationalist pertaining to the subject. 

    

 

    It was getting to be 10 o’clock when the two returned to the quarters of the house they were going to sleep in for the last night. Their feet shuffled in front of the front door, a warm feeling between the two. Neither of them grabbed for the door handle or said anything, and Sooyoung was personally beginning to feel slightly uncomfortable.

 

    “I don’t think there’s anything else to talk about now,” Sooyoung began leisurely. She was sure if one of them started talking it would lead them inside and they would go back to the bonfire to enjoy the rest of evening. 

 

    Unfortunately for Sooyoung, that didn’t happen. After around a minute or two, Jinah smirked humorously, which worried Sooyoung as much as it stirred something in her. “I hate to bring it up after the countless times we’ve dismissed it, but how about we talk how we feel about each other?” Sooyoung gulped, she didn’t come prepared for that! That girl was throwing bombs at her all night. 

 

    “D-do we have to talk about that?” She stuttered unsteadily, “There’s nothing to talk about.” The shorter turned her head down, examining their shoes. Jinah’s feet were encased in an exquisite pair of flats, her gorgeous ankle bone shining in the light of the front porch. Sooyoung, on the other hand, was wearing an old pair of faded turquoise sneakers. Nothing fit together.

 

    “Is there really nothing to talk about? Are you sure?” Jinah questioned again, and for the second time ever since they met, Sooyoung began to think that she sounded a little scared. She didn’t even yell at her for stuttering.

 

    “I’m…pretty sure…I think. I mean, you’re my boss and a good friend, isn’t that all there really is to feel? It’s great to be good friends with the family that owns one of the most successful brands of clothing in Asia, right? There’s…really nothing else.” Sooyoung found her body temperature rising dramatically, she didn’t like feeling cornered and questioned. She would be a terrible caught criminal.

 

    Before she knew it, the assistant saw one of Jinah’s perfectly sculpted hands slowly move up and move her chin upwards to face the woman head on. To Sooyoung’s disbelief, her boss’ dark eyes were soft and gentle. “Really?” 

 

    Sooyoung gulped again, her body heat rising even more with the direct contact between the two. “Really.” That’s when the most shocking thing happened. Jinah’s pink, gorgeous, lips quickly came in contact with her own, all in the works of Im Jinah herself. 

 

    Sooyoung’s mind and body were totally taken off guard, unaware of how to respond. Her body moved first while her mind was still trying to figure out what was happening. Sooyoung’s own lips formed around the ones in contact with them, still unsure how to cope with the new feelings jumping around. The kiss closed within ten seconds, and Sooyoung backed away immediately.

    She shook the handle of the front door, her body wavering from everything that had just happened. Eventually she managed to open the door and tried to get the fastest way she could to her room. The party was still ongoing but the young adult was sure she wouldn’t be able to try to act like nothing happened to her family until the morning.

 

    Jinah watched as her scared assistant escaped from her grasp, a little disappointed how it ended. From the way Sooyoung had looked at her, it was clear there was something more she wasn’t talking about. The former model entered the front door and headed toward the backyard to rejoin the ‘fun’ of the evening, contemplating about the kiss.Being a professional, she wouldn’t talk about it with Sooyoung until the girl was prepared and would act as if nothing happened for the time being to not decrease work stability. 

 

    Despite the time, the bonfire was still active, the flames hopping around the sky like fireflies. The large group of people were hanging around the heat, either talking or roasting marshmallows. Jinah found a comfortable spot near her brother and one of Sooyoung’s awkward cousins. 

 

    Jinyoung’s face brought on an enthusiastic smile automatically, “How did it go? I see you’re later than expected.” He winked at her, pleased with himself for setting them up perfectly.

 

    “It went very well, thank you for asking. I suspect you don’t ask Sooyoung though, she took it a little differently.” Jinah tried to be wary in answering, considering her coworker’s feelings carefully. Her brother kept silent, despite being curious as to why she would take something differently. She roasted her own marshmallow and soon enough everybody was leaving, letting her fortunately go back inside to sleep for the night.

 

    Personally, Im Jinah enjoyed the kiss. It felt a little messy, but the good kind of messy. For someone as neat and clean as Nana, it was hard for her to like any kind of messy. Although the physical part of it was light and soft, like a cloud, the mental part was the most delightful. She was glad to finally touch those little lips that blabbered on about papers and reports, envelopes, and were enticing with desire. She went to sleep that night pleased with herself, but worried about the future.

 

    Park Sooyoung didn’t know what to do with herself. She kept playing the kiss over and over in her head, trying to figure something out. So many questions flew through her head, most importantly how they felt with each other. Of course she knew she always saw Jinah as something…maybe slightly more than just her boss, but she refused to believe it. How could she, as a girl, like another girl as something romantic? It didn’t feel right in her head. Another fact she couldn’t wrap around her head was how Jinah had kissed her first. She was almost positive there was no sign that her older companion would like her romantically, she was sure! At least she thought she was…although her judgment was blinded by disbelief so maybe it was obvious and Jinyoung was right all along. Sooyoung decided that she’ll sleep on it. 

 

 

    For the next two weeks, work passed as usual. The only difference, Sooyoung stopped having her free meal once a day. She felt scared to face Jinah outside of the work place, and shook her head every day when the taller requested her accompaniment to lunch. No more meetings were held to find out the secret, in fact, they didn’t talk at all other than about work. Jinah even tried to lure her out of being afraid, with texting and jokes, but she was stuck on her job. 

 

    The days passed by slowly and painfully for Sooyoung, almost unable to look at her superior as well. Any time they exchanged eye contact, something in her heart jumped, and she immediately thought of the kiss. Naturally, she would still find herself admiring the girl’s stunning body figure and physical features, although to a lesser extent. Kaeun even tried to cope her to talk with Jinah, noticing how their relationship was different than it was before the trip. 

 

    Eventually, it rained again. It was the first rain since the MT and Sooyoung was reminded of the seemingly long ago deal made between the two. Jinah was on edge as expected, snapping even more easily with the season reveal coming up soon. Sooyoung kept to herself even more, careful not to disrupt the woman even more. While on her personal lunch break, she investigated the umbrella in her hands as she strolled down the soaked streets. It was a bright yellow one Jinah had bought her a year ago, a “replacement for that terribly ugly mess you call an umbrella.” 

 

    Recalling the memory, Sooyoung chuckled softly. She found herself surprised, as it was the last time she had smiled because of Jinah since…the day. She still kept the gift from her grandmother in her apartment, treasured as an ‘antique’. This specific day she was going to eat at a cafe she hadn’t visited in awhile, Jinah’s favorite. She knew Jinah wouldn’t be there because she had a lunch meeting in another part of the city, fulfilling designer duties as usual.

 

    Eating was a lonely but tolerable endeavor for Sooyoung, it was necessary for life anyway. She got used to paying for her own food, although her weekly bill rose higher than it was for awhile due to the change in schedule. She even packed herself a lunch some days, which agonized Jinah. Most days, she thought about what was going on in the world or her family while eating, even reading a book sometimes. Other days, on days when Jinah looked especially gorgeous or was being extremely kind, she reminisced on the old days or wondered if she could’ve changed anything. But what she avoided the most, was thinking about their feelings for each other. Whether they were there originally, or were there at one point, and especially if they were still there. 

 

    After dining on a soup and sandwich, she exited the warm building and began walking back to the company, prepared to go back to the usual organizing. After about a block or so, she noticed that a woman across the street appeared eerily similar to her employer. As she squinted, she gasped that the woman was wearing the exact same outfit Jinah wore earlier that day. It couldn’t…Im Jinah, of all people, would never walk about rain without something to protect her. It would be impossible if that person was her.

 

    Sooyoung jogged toward the edge of the street as the woman across the street ran across the road to join her. It was then she was positive it was Nana. But why? “Jinah! What are you doing here? Don’t you have an important business meeting? Most importantly, don’t you despise rain?” She moved her yellow umbrella over to cover her friend she entered.

 

    Without a response, Jinah kept running and embraced Sooyoung, their lips coming together automatically. Then the world and time stopped. Sooyoung dropped her umbrella on the ground, getting soaked by the pouring buckets of rain within seconds. She realized that kissing this woman was what she always had wanted. All worries and struggles slid off her shoulders with the rain, the world only being between the two of them. Jinah’s long hands slid up to the back of Sooyoung’s head but retracted to her sides as the kiss slowed down. All was silent between the two until Jinah found words to speak.

 

    “Not when I’m with you.”