one

Let It Rain

I know I'm posting this before  I'm updating the foreward but I really wanted to get this up! I actually really love how it's written so far and am looking forward to get the plot going even more!! C: it's 4,505 words..oops. Will the other parts be bigger? Maybe. Maybe not. anyway, please enjoy it!!


 

It had been two months. Two months since she had gotten the job. Two months since life had changed totally, although four months since she left her family. Her “assistant” job was basically a personal secretary for one of the most particular people she had ever met. That woman’s name was Im Jinah, a former model by the same name, but ever since joining the fashion industry went by “Nana.” Sooyoung, which was this assistant’s name, personally thought using “Nana” was useless, since mostly everybody called her Jinah.

 

    As for Sooyoung, those two months weren’t very eventful. Working day by day fulfilling errands, running for coffees, and according to practically each and every of her boss’ needs. But at that two month mark, it rained. It was the very first rain since working for the fashion designer.

 

    She woke up and set off for work as usual, this time remembering to drag her old blue umbrella with a cute flower design along with her. It was a gift from her now deceased grandmother when she had turned twenty, although not a very special gift, it still meant a lot. Sooyoung ran onto the bus toward the prestigious building for “I.M Attire.” To the others on the bus, she probably looked like another designer, for she wore such things that would look like so, and that she was a saint for riding the bus with them. 

 

    She ran into the building in a faster pace than normal, making sure not to forget to get the twelve specialty made coffees at the bottom level Starbucks that she had to get every morning. Each morning when she woke up she sent an automatic text to her friend who worked there with a reminder of the usual order, if it was changed she was notified at five in the morning by one of those people via text, and would modify the order accordingly. Her friend, which was a young woman by the name of Kaeun, also around two years younger than her, was an avid Starbucks worker and loved coffee. It was pleasing to her to deliver, bake, and mix together what others would’ve loathed doing. 

 

    Normally they would’ve just exchanged smiles before Sooyoung would dash off to make sure she wasn’t late, but that day was mildly different. After delivering the cups of caffeine to her comrade, Kaeun steadily whispered to Sooyoung something odd. 

 

    “Your boss will be frustrated today, as long as you work hard and not argue today, you’ll be fine. Protect her against rain at all costs. Don’t go near walls while outside. And be one-hundred-percent sure not to set the umbrella in between you guys while sitting. I send a blessing for you today friend.”

 

    The older woman expressed a face of bewilderment, but she passed a small tip and dashed off. Why would today be any different? Why would rain do that much to her? What trauma does she have against rain? Thoughts of the like ran through her mind as she jogged up the thirty stairs to the next level and started her round.

 

     Her familiar “Coffee Song” came to mind automatically, which was usually sung in her head at the beat of any song. Five in Level Two, one for the Head of Marketing and two for the kids, two for the Lead Youth Designer because she forbids refills. Another jog up around twenty stairs and the next verse came to life: Six on Level Three, half for the Treasury Committee and half for their interns from the city. Yet another run, this time with only eleven stairs, and the final verse was given a sung: The final one for yours truly, the decision maker herself, Nana or as we say ourselves...Im Jinah. 

 

    The renowned clothing inventor was bending over some new work for this year’s Fall/Winter line, contemplating over which colors for the outfit arrayed on the mannequin to her left. Sooyoung lightened her jogging and calmly walked over to her main boss, took a quick glance at the art on the paper and passed the plastic cup smoothly.

 

     Jinah took a small sip from it and raised her body to normal height with a satisfied expression, “You got here within time, this is surprising. You’re usually a minute or two late.”

 

    Sooyoung stifled a sigh of relief, she didn’t seem on the edge at all. Maybe Kaeun was just playing a trick on me, trying to make me work harder. How considerate of her. I’ll talk to her later about that. She bowed and apologized for her usual tardiness, even if she swore she never was late once. But she didn’t argue, this job payed well and was important to her, it’d be stupid to argue over something so small.

 

    “Give me that umbrella you’re holding.” Affirmative. To the point. That was Im Jinah. She didn’t ask. She was given. Sooyoung held up her wrinkled umbrella she realized was still in her hand, preparing to apologize for not putting it in the umbrella stands in the entrance.

 

    “I said give it to me. I wasn’t asking for you to question your life motives.” Maybe she is on the edge after all. Sooyoung thought after she registered that she had been standing there for too long without moving. She handed it over to her boss, worried about the outcome.

 

    The taller woman held it like it was an alien object, staring at it with a face of full judgement. It was like that for about five long seconds and Sooyoung was concerned that the Chief Executive’s trauma was so strong that just seeing an umbrella would be a trigger. But then Nana moved, and threw the object right in the trash can. 

 

    No words were spoken. Sooyoung couldn’t fathom just why she would do that. Does she have some grudge against me? Does she really hate me that much? I thought she was warming up to me two days ago when she bought me lunch. 

 

    After gathering her feelings, she was able to speak. Jinah had moved onto other things and was now writing down a sudden color palette which she knew would fit another outfit. “I’m just curious, why did you throw that away? It was my grandmother’s gift to me for becoming an adult, and she’s now passed, so it’s import-”

 

    “It’s design was vulgar. I couldn’t stand looking at those horrid greenish beige flowers for any longer and put it where it belonged. You can take it out before I throw away anything else, so it doesn’t get dirtied. Just never bring it here ever again. Or anything else that repels or holds rain.” 

 

    Sooyoung couldn’t believe this. Kaeun was right. Im Jinah did have beef with rain. And it was bad. She hastily ran over to the garbage and grasped the poor umbrella. Since it was wet, some paper pieces attached to it along with a bit of banana. Sooyoung wiped it off, explained that she would go put it in its place to Jinah, and ran down the sixty stairs to level one.

 

    “I was right wasn’t I? Enjoy your day!” Kaeun called in her usual peppiness from her position behind the counter when Sooyoung had set her umbrella in the stand on the other side of the room. Is she trying to say that she told me so? I don’t understand. Without any more words she dashed back up the stairs. Man did she dislike her job at times.

 

 

 

    The rest of the day basically went as normal, although it was obvious that her boss was anxious. When they went to attend to a client, Sooyoung followed the rules she had been given by her younger friend perfectly well. She wondered what would happen if she had gone against the rules, what the reaction would be. But yet again she wasn’t one to test the boundaries, she was still a minor assistant that could be switched without a difference.

 

    At leaving time, which was usually around six in the evening, Sooyoung dragged herself down the three flights of stairs. One of the good things about her job though, is that there’s a constant daily workout. She only has to go to the gym to work on her abdomen nowadays. At the bottom level she pulled out her cell phone and called Kaeun, who would be, as planned, waiting at the Chinese restaurant a block and a half away.

 

    “Hey, are you there? Sorry I’m a bit later, Jinah kept me up counting the color swabs. I don’t understand her sometimes.” 

 

    “I am, and don’t worry about her. It’s just the rain. She’ll be back to normal tomorrow. Unless it rains again. But overall it’s not a problem.” 

 

    “What is her problem with rain though? How do you know this much?” Sooyoung asked while strolling across the sidewalks, it had stopped raining an hour ago but the aspects of it were still in the air. Sooyoung herself loved rain, it was a beautiful trait of the earth in her opinion, with everything about it being enjoyable.

 

    “I’ve been working there for two years, you’ve have to learn things by then or they’ll definitely kick you out. Anyway, there’s been different rumors why rain sets her out of place, but nobody really knows. The most popular and realistic rumor is that when she was around four or five her father left alone in the house and later that night people broke in and stole some stuff. It was raining that day and ever since then she’s been like this.”

 

    “So...nobody really knows if it’s true or not though? Why didn’t anybody just ask her?” Sooyoung knew it was a useless question, Jinah could’ve fired anyone who did ask, or just completely change the subject. She was rounding on the restaurant now.

 

    “People have tried, believe me. None of them had gotten an answer. Some even tried asking one of her parents but they ended up being fired. Either way, I don’t think anybody will ever know quite why she’s like this every time it rains. We just have to tolerate it.” Oh, but I’m not just anybody. I’m Park Sooyoung, and I will know why. 

 

 

 

    From then on, every time it rained for the next two months she hinted at the question. Sometimes saying, “Rain really does get nerve racking though, am I right? If only it’d go away, I’d love that. You’d love that too, right?” The response was a bit surprised of a look then a shake of her head. Sooyoung could never tell whether it was a “No, rain should stay” type of thing or a “She’s so annoying if only I could fire her” look. Overall, she was going nowhere.

 

    Their relationship had increasingly become closer, but not anything abnormal for a boss and employee. Well, almost. Jinah had taken her out to lunch a couple of times, but Sooyoung thought the reason was because she looked too poor to pay for her own lunch at those times. Which could or could not be true. Jinah had also accepted her as someone to call when something had gone wrong, even if it was at home. One time she had to help pack her bags because she was fighting with her mother. That day was the worst for both of them.

 

    Sooyoung remembered the day as if it had just happened earlier, the high volume of the screaming and the harsh words of both mother and daughter. She was one-hundred-percent aware that she was to keep silent and not interfere at all. Jinah’s mother scared her personally, any time she had come to work earlier was to collect fashion lines to get reviewed by some magazine or something. Sooyoung never really knew. The middle aged woman’s face was always twisted in some angrily way, either telling someone off or being critical. She could just imagine life for Jinah as a child.

 

    It was that day she started to understand just one of the reasons Im Jinah was so straightforward and strict. After they collected three suitcase’s worth of clothes and shoes (which was just the closet, she would mention) then gathered in Jinah’s “bigger” car. They rode about an hour on the road to some hotel which Sooyoung bet one of Jinah’s friends owned, and then the unspeakable happened.

 

    The fearless, astringent, almost emotionless Nana cried. She actually cried. Even with Sooyoung there in the same vicinity as her. She could just imagine the amount of emotions toppled on Jinah’s shoulders for her to shatter her seemingly cool self to break down like that. Her position was awkward and she wasn’t sure whether to comfort her boss or not, she’d never had that experience before. Would it be considered rude to hug her? Or tell her something nice? Would I get fired if I even spoke? 

 

    But she figured that Jinah didn’t care about her assistant at that moment and nervously spoke, “I know I’m not one to speak right now, and I’m saying this as a dongsaeng and not as an employee. I just want to say that you deserve better. I’m not spreading evil on your mother, Lord knows I want that woman to be treated well and such, but I’m just saying this on your favor. Since I like you, I think you deserve better.”

 

    The older female turned her head for the first time since tears had escaped from her eyes and Sooyoung couldn’t believe what she was seeing. The former model still looked ethereal while crying. It made no sense. Then she spoke in an attempt-to-be-firm voice, “I know. I know I deserve better as well. I know you don’t know what to say. I know that I shouldn’t have brought you here at all. I know that I sound crazy to anybody. I know it all.”

 

    Sooyoung thought that around this time it would be acceptable to rest a hand on the other girl’s shoulder, and spoke softly. “I’d like to just let you know that you’re not crazy. At least to me. And Kaeun. You may seem crazy to yourself but to everybody else, you’re the perfectly sane, too gorgeous to be human, strict, Im Jinah. Life will get better. I always try to remember that.” She smiled at Jinah in the friendliest way she could make.

 

    The twenty-three year old was warmed by this smile and was tempted to embrace her assistant but resisted. She wasn’t that kind of person. She didn’t show affection unless it felt necessary. Thanks to her employee’s words she started feeling better. Maybe hiring Sooyoung wasn’t as much as a regret as she had previously thought.

 

 

 

    After that, Jinah would buy lunch almost every day for her assistant. If she weren’t able to buy lunch, she would buy dinner. Either way, Sooyoung had a free meal once a day for five days a week. It all went by well, and Sooyoung found herself considering Jinah’s opinion before making a decision. It was...weird.

 

    One day in December she, Kaeun, and one of the Head of Marketing’s “kids” Lee Jooyeon, were out shopping for the Christmas office party. Jooyeon was quite older than the two, about six years older than Sooyoung. She was kind, funny, and had the perfect creative mind for marketing children’s clothes. Kaeun had introduced Sooyoung to her in October and they became friends almost instantly, especially since Jooyeon was a social person. 

 

    They were strolling through various stores, stopping at any dress that caught one of their attentions. At one store particularly a pale blue dress definitely was in Sooyoung’s list and as she tried it on, an image of Jinah ran through her head. What would she think? Would it fit her taste? When standing in front of the mirror the others said she should undoubtedly buy it, “It’s perfect for you!” Jooyeon had exclaimed. Although she treasured their opinions, they were her friends and important to her; but at that moment she desperately wanted a say from her boss.

 

    “What were you thinking? Why would you buy this? Do you want to be looked down upon by the other employees?” Sooyoung could practically hear Jinah saying those words, they were so her. But she couldn’t see her saying it to her in that dress. But she couldn’t see her going “This is brilliant! Where did you buy this? I’d like to discuss with them a possible collaboration in the future.” either. It was a dilemma.

 

    So she took a picture in the mirror and sent it to Jinah. This was the first time since becoming the older woman’s employee that she asked for fashion advice. Sooyoung admitted in her mind she was nervous about the response, she had previously only texted Jinah about work and food. Nothing personal like this. But it was for work. So it wasn’t too personal, of course.

 

    After changing back into her casual clothes and meeting up with the others in the store, they gave her The Question, “Are you going to buy it?” Honestly, she wasn’t sure. Until, five minutes after she sent the picture with ‘Should I wear this to the office party next week or not?, she got a response. Sooyoung had to hold in her excitement. If it was excitement. Was it excitement? Why do I feel this? She just responded to my text. I’m probably so unsure about buying it that my feelings are playing on me, funny. 

 

    The response was simple and to the point. It was a Friday evening, she guessed Nana was probably at a meeting and didn’t have enough time to write more than three words. ‘Yes. Wear it.’  So she bought it. Not because Jinah’s opinion had anything to do with it, of course.

 

 

 

    The Christmas party went by nicely, she had got some presents from coworkers, even a pair of shoes from Jinah to match the dress! They had got along greatly that day, although Sooyoung wasn’t sure whether it was because there were higher people in their workforce there that Jinah wanted to show a better side of herself to them or because they were simpler closer. Either way, it didn’t bother her.

 

    The party was at a rich country club and basically every employee in the building was present. Some were absent of course, due to personal reasons, but everybody had been invited. Overall, it was a very large very rich-person-esque party. The first of its kind that Sooyoung had been to.

 

    Honestly, she wasn’t sure how to act. She had only seen them in movies and dramas. Never real life. Kaeun told her to act like herself, just more refined; and if she ran across one of the -illionaires to say small and smile often. If she ever found herself alone, she was supposed to either search for somebody to talk to or enjoy the scenery of people. 

 

    After about two hours of the celebration, Sooyoung had become increasingly bored. She was constantly having small talk, and she swore it would be about four more people before she talked to everybody in the building. Including the employees. At least the country club workers were easier to talk to. 

 

    Eventually she found herself standing outside on one of the balconies on the South side of the building, where the least people were. Sooyoung stood at the end of the balcony, staring out at the grass fields relaxing after a hard day of hundreds of golfers. It was about eight at night. The party went on until ten. She wasn’t sure who’s idea it was to have such a long boring party, but she was ready to fire them even without the authority to do so.

 

    After about ten minutes thinking and taking in the air, she overheard two voices discussing a bit louder than everybody else. She felt an instinct to hide herself, but if they never stepped onto the balcony, they could never see her anyway. So she didn’t hide, and listened.

 

    “Do you think I wanted this? To be born into this family? Sure it was fun at first but now I’m just done. There’s no more you can do for me. I’m moving out!” It was a male voice, and he sounded about mid-twenties. Sooyoung didn’t recognize the voice and figured it was just somebody she didn’t know. Wow, it’s like a real life drama! 

 

    “Go ahead! Move out like your sister! I’m sure she’ll love to know another member of the family is abandoning her mother!” But Sooyoung knew that voice. It was Jinah’s mother. That must be Jinah’s brother! I never knew she had a brother...I should mention that next time. 

 

    “You have dad! And Jinmi! Isn’t that enough? I’ve grown out of being forced to go here and there, meeting them and them, waking up early for no reason! I want to be myself!” It really does sound like a drama... She couldn’t believe that she was finding her boss’ family problems entertaining. 

 

    Then she heard running, and the balcony door opened. She instantly ducked. She wondered how the conversation was finished already. Is that how the famous Im family resolutes their problems? 

 

    “Whoever you are, the show is over now, you can get up.” His voice was still crisp with anger and she reluctantly stood up. Forcefulness must grow in their family. 

 

    Looking at the man’s face even in terrible lighting she could tell he was handsome and younger than Jinah. She bowed apologetically, “I’m sorry, I hope I didn’t look like a snoop. I was just out here because the party was so borin-”

 

    “Don’t be sorry, I know these parties are boring. I go to one at least once a week. Hopefully that’ll change from now on.” He exhaled loudly and rested his elbows on the railing. “So, what’s your work in the building? Probably something small, since you’re out here and not in there bragging about some great line you worked on for months.”

 

    “I-I’m...your sister’s assistant.” She couldn’t believe she was stuttering. It wasn’t because he was handsome and young, but it was because he was Im Jinah’s brother. If she sent out a bad impression to him, she could loose her job.

 

    “Oh, that new chick? I’ve heard a little about you. You’re the one that she takes out to lunch daily because you helped her against my mom right?” She also couldn’t believe how straight forward this guy was. He didn’t seen considerate at all. But it also seemed that he didn’t fit in with his family. 

 

    Sooyoung nodded lightly, “Well...yeah. I only packed her bags with her...I didn’t help her move in to her apartment or anything.”

 

    “I know. For some reason, she loves to give me weekly updates about you. It’s like she’s trying to set us up.” He scoffed at the idiotic idea. She sighed in relief, at least he agreed with her. Suddenly feeling sorry, he turned to her, “It’s not I don’t think you’re pretty or anything, it’s just my type isn’t like those guys from the dramas.”

 

    “That’s perfectly fine with me, I wasn’t really looking forward to it if she was going to set us up together. I’m just meeting you now honestly. I don’t even know your name.” 

 

    The young twenty-something year old spread a half-smile, “The name’s Jinyoung. I don’t technically have a job yet, other than managing to live with my family.”

    Sooyoung shook his hand when he gave it out, and nodded when appropriate. After talking, mostly about him, for about five minutes, the balcony door was opened again.

 

    The person was female, they could tell due to the taps of the heels. Just from the sound of the stride Sooyoung was almost one-hundred-percent sure who it was, it was a good thing Jinyoung was.

 

    “Jinah noona, nice seeing you here.” Both of them twirled around to face the new human to join them outside.

 

    “Apologize to mom, now. After that tell her that you’re going to discuss you leaving the house like adults later. Do you want it end up like it did for me?” Jinah was irritated. Whether it was because of her brother or somebody else, only the Lord knew. She didn’t get irritated nearly as much as her mother, but her temper was still short.

 

    Jinyoung crossed his arms across his chest, “Why? Did she ask you to say that? So that another one of her kids didn’t ‘abandon’ her?”

 

    Sooyoung wasn’t quite sure what to do this time. She wasn’t prepared for sibling quarrel. If that was what she was witnessing. Unsure whether to flee or not, she stayed perfectly still. 

 

    “Do I have to repeat myself?” It was clear just how irritated Jinah was, and this was about him. “Do you want the way for you to leave be similar to mine? Do you want to take Sooyoung with you too?” She pointed a hand at Sooyoung and Sooyoung shrunk a bit, wanting to get away. But for some reason she couldn’t run away. She just couldn’t.

 

    Jinyoung scoffed again, must be his thing. “I don’t want it to be, no, but I don’t want to be a momma’s boy either.”

 

    “Be an adult this time Jinyoung! Not a momma’s boy, not a child, handle this seriously and respectfully.”

 

    “Oh like you did?” His sarcasm really sounds similar to Jinah’s, wow.

 

    “This is about you, Jinyoung, not me. I know I made a rash decision and a mistake, and understand my actions. I just hope you do the same, but sooner.”

 

    “I’ll think about it. Maybe not tonight, though. Let me be. I previously was enjoying a domestic conversation with your secretary here until you rudely barged in.”

 

    They both were looking at her now. It was that moment she wanted to run the most. It was almost scary, their fierce charismatic eyes burning on her skin with nearly equal intensity. Except, she noticed, Jinah’s was the one with less harshness. Which was very surprising, because they were raging with fire at her brother.

 

    “I can get you her number if you wish to continue that conversation. Sooyoung, get out. Your talk is with me now.” Her tone was so strict Sooyoung felt obliged to listen immediately and headed b-line to the door. 

 

    “Stop right there Sooyoung, I’m not done with you yet. I have a question regarding you to Jinah that I think you’d love to hear the answer of.” Jinyoung’s voice was also tight and severe with anger. What kind of question is he going to ask her having to do with me?

 

    Jinah rolled her eyes, so discontent at this point she was considering leaving with Sooyoung after his question was asked. Then he uttered his question with a tone of ruthlessness and smirked.

 

    “Are you in love with her?”