four

Let It Rain

yes kids, I am back!! and ready to finish this!! I think I know finally how to get to where I want now! I'm so very sorry it's taken this long to get to this next chapter, which is why it's a bit longer (5,231 words). I hope you enjoy it!! The next chapter will be very fun straight from the bat, so look forward to that! :D


Everybody’s relationship had become increasingly closer since the party, and Sooyoung found herself getting those weird feelings in her stomach almost every time she was at work. Obviously her sickness was gone then, so she just let it slide, but it often irritated her that she thought of Jinah instead of participating in work.

 

    It was funny, but over a couple of weeks it appeared Kaeun and Jinyoung began dating. Sooyoung couldn’t believe the same person she had met that night at the party would be a very clingy boyfriend. Kaeun loved it, though she did admit once or twice that she gave him the excuse of work or classes when she didn’t have anything so she couldn’t meet him. That especially made Sooyoung laugh. He was acting like practically every heteroual female was in love with him, or at least his body. That was, before Kaeun came along. Thankfully he was too busy annoying her that he didn’t have time to torture Sooyoung anymore.

 

    Other than the Christmas party, their families also encountered each other on New Years and the company’s anniversary party. Although little, Jinah did notice a difference in her family’s attitude toward each other. She gave some credit to Sooyoung’s kin, although it wasn’t certain. Sooyoung began losing hope in knowing the rain problem.

    “Do you think this’ll ever work? At all the parties they only sort of talk to each other, not even that much. Is there any other way I could..get my side of the deal?” Sooyoung brought up one March lunch.

 

    Jinah shook her head, “I don’t think so. I don’t have any other reason to tell anybody why. No matter how curious you guys get, I think this one is the most reasonable trade I’ve ever made for my secret.”

 

    Sooyoung sighed, “Pretty please? If you give it sooner I can make our parents go to golf outing together every Saturday.”

 

    “My parents don’t like golf.”

 

    “Neither do mine, so they bond over dislike for it. See! It works perfectly.”

 

    “My parents won’t go somewhere they dislike, simple as that. Also, as I’ve said before, the only way you’re knowing what you want is this way. Any other way won’t work.”

 

    “Really? What if I pay for all of our lunches ever? I know I pay half of the time, as we decided after you thought you payed enough, but why not I just pay the rest? Or I do really cute aegyo?” Sooyoung started to become desperate. It had almost been a year since she had begun to work there, and she felt like she had made no progress. 

 

    Jinah chuckled, “Aegyo? You think that would get me? You’ve known me for about eight or nine months and you think acting cute for a minute or two would get me to tell you a secret? Or even paying for something that I can obviously pay for?” She rolled her eyes, “I had thought we were becoming quite close friends.”

 

    “That’s not what I meant! I just...” Sooyoung didn’t want to admit she was desperate. Weaknesses weren’t a positive in front of the Im family. “I was just thinking of other ways to know you, that’s all.”

 

    “Were you? Sure, sure.” Jinah didn’t believe her and just pat her friend on the head, “You think of some more ways and get back to me, okay?” Sooyoung sighed underneath the hand. Although she still got weird feelings at Jinah touching her, it only really happened when the body part lingered on her own.

 

    “Fine, fine. If you’re not budging, I’ll have to budge my family. When’s the next gathering you have? Or, we could even make the gathering ourselves! How about that, just get our families together? With the warming weather, we could do even do an MT!” Sooyoung began getting enthusiastic about the ways their families could interact.

 

    Jinah was the opposite. “Well, those are good ideas, but I don’t know how well they’re going to work out. My family’s very busy, as you know, so any of those things I’d have to pass through all of their schedules. An MT sounds quite intriguing though, like a mini vacation. I’ll find available dates for it.” 

 

    Sooyoung smiled, “I thought this would work out. I hope our plan goes well, I’ve enjoyed this.”

 

    Jinah nodded, “Agreed. Now eat before your mother yells at me for not feeding you.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes and obeyed, Those Ims are all the same.

 

 

 

    Thanks to Sooyoung’s smart suggestion, Jinah worked out a perfect day for both of their families. Although it could only be for one day and two nights, it still seemed worth it. It could mean Sooyoung could get closer to finding out the truth, which was the only reason she had the deal.

 

    It was a Friday evening and Sooyoung was sitting uncomfortably in the car with her family. Her mother was singing some trot song in the incorrect key, and her father was studying their map of the country with hawk eyes. Her father wasn’t one to work with smart phones, and only had one to play games. No matter how much she tried to explain to him that it has an installed GPS, and how simple some functions made it, he still kept to his ideas.

 

     Sooyoung’s mother didn’t necessarily care about what they used to get to their destination, only that their trip to the destination was enjoyable. Some would say it was a great philosophy, Sooyoung wasn’t one of them. It meant excessive singing, games, and stops. A two hour trip turns into a four hour one with her mother.

 

    “I heard you and Jinah are becoming the best of friends nowadays, isn’t that great? Too bad her brother has a girlfriend now, though.” Her mom paused to grab something in the air, “You should’ve got him in your grasp when you could, Sooyoung, really. You’re going to be the only one single in my friends’ and I’s children!”

 

    Sooyoung sighed. Was it necessary to mention Jinyoung every time they were in the same room? “You know how I felt about him, plus he’s much happier now than he would be with me. I’m happy right now as well, so don’t worry.”

 

    “I’m glad you’re happy, but I’d wish you’d look at some guys.” Sooyoung lightly shook her head, she wasn’t looking for a man right now. She had the rest of her life ahead of her. A small voice whispered, ‘What if it’s not a guy?’ in her head, and she shook it off. Weren’t lesbians a foreigner thing?

 

    Another half hour passed by and the three drove closer to the designated MT area. Sooyoung couldn’t believe her eyes, she got a text! From Jinah! It wasn’t rare for the two to exchange texts anymore, but in such a place of despair, it was a message from God.

 

    It read, ‘Hey, is your family annoying you too? I could get one of the maids to drive my car over to the next stop and we could go there ourselves.’ Unlike most people, Jinah had to be the most proper even in her text messages. Sooyoung contemplated about the idea, it sounded like they were running away. Even though they were just changing cars. It would be easier and nicer going with Jinah, but what if her parents get lost? What would they do if the map was too old? They needed somebody.

 

    Suddenly an idea came to her mind. If they loved Jinyoung so much, why not just be with him? He did manage to drag along Kaeun, so they would be occupied. Also, they both knew how to use their smart phones very well. It was perfect. Jinah’s parents wouldn’t be abandoned because they had Jinmi! Although it would resemble their house life, it would be alright since they would all be together at the MT.

 

    Another text, ‘Call?’ Sooyoung nodded to herself. It was selfish, but she’s twenty-two! She should be selfish while she can be! ‘Call. Tell ur family to stop at the next rest place.’ She responded and felt a pang of guilt, and it confused her. She wasn’t doing anything bad, just selfish. It’s not like she and Jinah were going to go somewhere completely different and made the families go alone. 

 

    “Hey dad, would you be cool if Jinyoung came in and helped a bit? He could sit in this spot here and Kaeun could sit behind where mom’s driving and you could discuss cars and coffee and sports! Wouldn’t that be great?”

 

    “It would, but I’m not very sure about why you’re suggesting this. Don’t you despise that boy?” Her mother caught on fast, something else was going to happen.

 

    “Well, I do. But I don’t despise his girlfriend. Also, since those two will be in here, and because I absolutely would hate to interrupt your conversations, I’d go in Jinah’s car.”

 

    “You want to sit with her parents and little sister? Are you serious? I highly doubt they’re as fun as this mom!” Her mother than proceeded to do a small proud dance, and her father gave her a ‘keep-your-hands-on-the-wheel’ look.

 

    “No, I won’t, don’t worry. I’ll just be with Jinah, one of her maids is bringing her car over. We’ll just have to wait a bit while she drives over that’s all fine. Jinah and I agreed it’d be better for both the families if we stayed out of the drive a bit, you know what I mean? We’ll all meet up at the same place and time still, as planned.”

 

    She watched as her parents thought about the possible future, and sat back in relief as they smiled. “I think that would work out, but you better not be late because your father and I have some great games planned!”

 

    Sooyoung laughed, “We’ll try our best not to be. I hope you didn’t plan too much on this first night though, everybody’s going to be tired.”

 

    Her mother shook her head, “Of course not! I’m prepared for anything!” Sooyoung smiled, her family was great.

 

    The plans went through successfully and before she knew it she was standing with Jinah on the sidewalk of rest stop waiting for some expensive car to come driving up to them.

 

    “So...how did you think of this idea? Was your family getting on your nerves too much?” Sooyoung felt weirdly awkward,  although only a little bit.

 

    Actually I just wanted to see you more, Jinah wanted to say the real reason why but kept it to herself. Which wasn’t like her. It was odd but she let it be. If she didn’t want to say it out loud, there must be a reason, which she could figure out later.

 

    “They were talking about the President and some Governors, my sister was sleeping. It was generally boring,” At least she didn’t lie. That was what really had happened. Her family life was either boring or like a drama. Nobody was weird or interesting in their family. That’s why she liked Sooyoung, they were opposites.

 

    “Ah, I see. So are we driving the poor maid out or is she going with us?” 

 

    “I might use some pocket money to hire someone to pick her up, or keep her to help with the cleaning and such at the MT. Either way, she’ll be fine.” 

 

    Sooyoung nodded and silence followed. Neither one of the two knew what to say next, and were both thankful to the recognizable car driving up to the side soon after. The car slowed down and a small woman opened the door on the driver’s seat, she seemed tired and Sooyoung hoped they would just keep her for the MT. The keys were thrown to Jinah and she excitedly jumped back into the car, gesturing toward the passenger’s seat for Sooyoung to join.

 

    Inside the spotless vehicle, she noticed just how happy Jinah was. She was similar to that of a Kindergartener knowing they could get candy at the store. Sooyoung found it very amusing, and even cute. “Why are you so happy?”

 

    “This here, she’s my baby. Maybe not the fastest, or smartest, but my baby. Got ‘ole Jennifer last year, my little star. I haven’t driven her in a couple months so I’m very excited. Reasonable, right?”

 

    Sooyoung stared in astonishment. Jinah was a car person? A car person? Wow.... “Reasonable, yes. I never thought you would love cars Jinah...” The two waited while the maid got situated in the back and before the blink of an eye they were off.

 

    “It’s not that I love all cars, per say, just this one.” Jinah paused to pat the wheel a bit with the palms of her hands, “I’m not too into other cars, or their races. That’s my father. I tried to at first, but the interest fell. I just really love Jennifer.”

 

 

    Sooyoung nodded slowly, so that was Im Jinah. She found it interesting how the name was “Jennifer,” a foreign female name. Was Jinah hinting at....she shook her head lightly, of course not. Back to the name. It rolled flawlessly on Jinah’s tongue, making it sound like a normal word in any conversation. Although most words rolled flawlessly off Jinah’s tongue...Sooyoung sighed at the thought and rested her head on her palm.

 

    “What’s your problem? My car so beautiful that you have to wonder about its greatness?” Sooyoung raised her head, she was practically Jinyoung’s twin! No wonder they were siblings. 

 

    Jinah noticed the behavior and giggled, “I’m normally humble, but when it comes to Jennifer, I’ll brag away. My ex-boyfriend got her for me, and I was worried he was going to want her back, but he forgot! I’m always thankful for that fact.”

 

    Sooyoung’s head was spinning. Ex-boyfriend? Why was Jinah so talkative? Did the car have some magical powers? In the end though, her head focused on “ex-boyfriend.” Who was this ex-boyfriend and how rich was he to buy this black pearl for the likings of Im Jinah? Who dumped who? Why did she want to know the answers to all these questions?


    The rode in silence for a couple minutes while the thoughts processed inside Sooyoung. After they were sorted, she thought again. Why was the car so perfectly silent? A baby could sleep in there peacefully. Speaking of sleeping, she was pretty sure that’s what the maid was doing.

 

    “Anything to say, now that we’re alone?” Jinah interrupted her busy thoughts, suggesting something. What that was exactly, Sooyoung didn’t know.

 

    “Anything to say? Are you saying I’d have something to say?” Sooyoung’s mind went crazy again. She lightly hit Jennifer with her right hand, it was all the car’s fault!

 

    “Hey, hey, watch your paws on my car! I have to keep her in pristine condition or else, well, she wouldn’t be Jennifer. Away from the car, why are you so frustrated?” There was a hint of amusement in Jinah’s voice and Sooyoung sighed again.

 

    Jinah nodded at the response, “I can understand how you’re frustrated, I guess. There must be many questions inside your mind right now, yes? Well, ask me all of them. We have a half hour.”

 

    Sooyoung opened her eyes widely in surprise, obviously she wasn’t going to ask them all. Especially the one that continually crept into her mind. “Okay, if you’re so open to questions; why are you so talkative?”

 

    Jinah contemplated a bit, and Sooyoung found herself admiring her beauty even more. It seemed almost impossible, how she could appreciate it any more, but it felt possible at that moment. Just sitting there, driving, thinking. It was an utterly beautiful picture there itself. 

 

    “I was talkative because this is my favorite car, and I, like most people, can talk a lot about my favorite things. Am I allowed to ask a question about you as well, or is that too much like elementary schoolers?” Silence followed and before Sooyoung could respond she added, “Or would you like to stare at me the rest of the car ride?”

 

    Sooyoung shook her head and turned her head to face outside, it was a gray blur of road and cars. Much more comfortable. “Well, I guess that’s fine with me...”

 

    “Great, so how’d you get in the fashion industry? Or the assistant industry, at least.” Sooyoung had never thought about that, about fashion. She practically forgot about it, with all the crazy work she did now.

 

    “Me...I was curious about fashion as a kid, but never thought of it as a career until later on. Although, it isn’t much of a career at the moment...I might just go with being an eternal assistant instead of a fashion designer.”

 

    Jinah nodded, “I would rather have your job than mine honestly. Although every job is stressful, the higher up you get, the more stressful it is; and I am very very high up. I wouldn’t want that stress on your shoulders, though.”

 

    “Are you saying I’m not emotionally strong enough to handle your job?” Sooyoung sighed, this woman was so confusing. 

 

    “Well, no. I just don’t want you to be stressed a lot, I don’t think you deserve it. You’d lose more of your smile and I wouldn’t like that to happen.” Jinah had to catch herself from blurting out more...and some unnecessary words. She wasn’t hoping Sooyoung could think she thought too positive of her..it was too early for that. 

 

    Her colleague was taken off guard, Nana wouldn’t like her to lose her smile? Im Jinah doesn’t think she deserved stress. Is this real? Am I dreaming? Am I sleeping and the maid awake? 

 

    There was another minute of silence until Jinah interrupted, “It’s your turn now. Any other questions?”

    Sooyoung turned back to the window to respond, it was less distracting. She contemplated a bit before responding with a semi-dangerous question, “W-why do you not want me to lose my smile?”

 

    The first answer jumped in her head straight away, but Jinah knew that answer wasn’t rational enough to be spoken. She pushed it lightly away and replaced it with something she deemed better and more reasonable, “Because I don’t think anybody should lose their smile, especially when it influences your personality and is as bright as yours.”

 

    Sooyoung was still amazed but she attempted to keep it to herself. Not only did think Im Jinah think she didn’t deserve much stress, but she also thought her smile was bright. She felt like yelling out how she thinks Jinah’s smile is too bright because it not only happens so often, but also because it looks like each tooth was its little star on its own. Alone but blinding. Jinah in three words.

 

    “There you go staring and thinking again. I don’t have a problem with it, but you need to start warning me before you do it. It can become very burdensome,” Jinah spoke softly and looked slightly at her assistant yet again looking at her. 

 

    “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be burdensome. I was just thinking about the next question to ask you.” She let it off as a white lie, even though she hated lying to anybody, especially Jinah. But if she were going through the same things as she was, she was sure Jinah would understand.

 

    “Well, it’s my turn now so you have more time anyway. My next question is why you just lied to me.” Was I that obvious? Oh , I should’ve lied more as a kid to prepare for these kind of moments as an adult. Jinah tapped the wheel again lightly, as if it was the usual discussion between friends.

 

    “I know you were lying, did you want me to know? Too bad if so, but I’m just curious. I’m taking it was because you didn’t want me to know what you were thinking about, whatever that be. You’re fault you got me like this, please do tell me what you were thinking about.”

 

    Although she used kind and careful wording in her sentences, it was clearly a demand. Sooyoung let out a big breath and obeyed, she didn’t want to lose her job. “I was thinking about how bright your smile is.”

 

    Jinah reaction looked emotionless, does she get that all the time? “At least it was relevant, and you can thank my whitening toothpaste for that. It works very well, specially made specifically for my teeth. The perks of being rich.” She flashed a quick smile before turning back to the road immediately.

 

    Sooyoung giggled softly, she was worried for no reason. Maybe she just admired the toothpaste, no, that was what it was. Nothing else. “My turn isn’t it? I’m curious about the man who gifted you this beauty.” She lightly hit the side of the door on her side when referring to the vehicle.

 

    “Him? Well, he was an ex of mine. We were together for almost two years, but he was more of the counter so I was never sure. He gave Jennifer to me for my birthday, the last birthday before our breakup. It was mutual breakup though, we were getting bored of each other due to differentiating views.” Jinah could guess the reason why Sooyoung was wondering about her ex, but she let it slide. It suddenly made her curious about her assistant’s ex-romantic partners as well.

 

    Sooyoung slightly nodded, it made sense. It all made sense. She returned her vision to the outside world and awaited the next question for her. The game was entertaining, and quite childish, but it was a her lifesaver. With something to keep them occupied on the ride, it made her enjoy Jinah’s company even more. 

 

     Before the two knew it, they were welcoming themselves onto the driveway of the MT house. Although it was dark, there were a couple small lights on the front porch for Sooyoung to see what it looked like.

 

    Their short vacation house was a medium sized house, the usual MT kind. Sooyoung couldn’t put a right word for it, but it felt comfortable just from the outside. It then dawned on her that she’d be sleeping in the same house, or possibly room, as Nana. 

 

    “Jinah,” Sooyoung began while Jennifer was being parked meticulously on the gravel next to the building. Jinah grunted in response of acknowledgement and she continued, “Are we sleeping in the same room?” She knew it wasn’t going to happen, with the odds against her. But she thought maybe it was best to ask, that wouldn’t hurt.

 

    The car stopped and Jinah shook her head, “Of course not, what a nonsensical question. I had thought you would know better, but maybe I was wrong. Anyway, wake up Mrs. Jung here, I was generous enough to let her nap, now she has to go back to being employed under my family.”

 

    Sooyoung unbuckled and replied quickly, “Are you sure it’s ok to let her bed on the MT with us? Does she have a family at home to care take of?”

 

    Jinah’s head took another shake, “I know all about those who work in my home, and she has only a mere teenage daughter who can easily take care of herself. I bet she wouldn’t even bat an eye about her mother being away for a night or two, I can even update her about her whereabouts if it worried her.” Sooyoung let out a breath of relief and her boss set a hand on her shoulder, “You should know me well enough that I make sure that all my, or well, my family’s employees are comfortable.”

 

    I’m not very comfortable that you’re touching me...Sooyoung thought, although she really, really liked the feel of Jinah’s touch, it made her uncomfortable because of how wrong it felt at the same time. It was never anything intimate, of course, even if that small voice wished for some. It felt wrong due because her body and thoughts always malfunctioned while they touched, like it was a computer with a virus.

 

    She nodded, waiting for the second she could relax when Jinah moved her hand. Sooyoung also thought of all the times her boss had previously helped her and taken care of her, and knew that she meant that nod. 

    The two collected their things and woke up Mrs. Jung, who was quick to agree about the daughter topic. They met up with the others, and Sooyoung focused her thoughts on what would be the following night and day...they had planned for a smooth relaxing day not doing much.

 

    Literally. They had just brought leisure games, a hammock or two, bathing suits, and some food for activities during the day. In the evening there would be a barbecue and a bonfire. Not much, but better than nothing. Some of Sooyoung’s family lived nearby so they would join the evening activities, which she was hoping would help influence the Ims the most. Because her family was not the quiet kind, and was very disruptive and family oriented.

    They walked over and met outside the three cars to discuss how they were carrying everything in. The annoying man and his cute girlfriend were standing very close to each other, practically cuddling while standing. It made Sooyoung slightly disgusted, how happy he was, she had been ready to make him unable to produce children a couple months ago and now she wouldn’t think of it. Not because she liked him any more, but because if Kaeun really wanted kids with him, she’d want her to be happy.

    

    Jinah’s father opened the door and various exterior and interior lights so they could see better outside. Then the unpacking began. Although they were only going to be there for two nights and one day, Sooyoung learned that rich people still pack a lot. She had to make two trips even when everybody else had full hands...she personally found it ridiculous and wondered how what went through their minds while packing, especially when they weren’t really planning to go to many places. Inside the building, there was a pair of staircases on each side, although they both led to the same place. The lower floor continued in between the staircases where the kitchen and dining rooms were, each with enough space to fit approximately 15 people. Sooyoung went up the west staircase first to find her room, which she was going to share with her parents. 

 

    The large bed fit perfectly fine in the master bedroom, one out of two, Jinah’s father had to point out while they were unloading. Her parents were to sleep on the bed while she was to sleep on the corresponding couch next to it. Although a bit uncomfortable, she could live with it for two nights. From her knowledge, Jinah and Jinmi were sleeping together in a room, Mr. Im and his wife in the second master bedroom, and the lovebirds on the couch in the living room. Sooyoung didn’t like imagining them sleeping together on the same mattress, but she trusted Kaeun would keep him within boundaries and would make sure he wouldn’t do anything out of hand.

 

    After their room choices were settled, the group of 9 decided to chill out in the living room. The living room was an open area in the middle of the top and second floor, with three couches and a medium sized flatscreen television connected to the wall facing the backyard. Sooyoung was surprised the first time she went through the whole house, it was much bigger than she had previously thought. She should’ve figured, it was for the rich.

 

    The couches were comfortable enough, although her position on them wasn’t. There was enough space for three per couch, but somebody decided it was okay to mess that perfect idea up. Jinyoung and Sooyoung’s parents sat on one couch still discussing something, Kaeun was sitting on the leg of that couch closest to the next sofa over, talking with Jinah. Sooyoung shared that middle couch with Jinah and sat awkwardly nearer to the third couch. Jinmi laughed at her phone and showed her mother a picture while Mr. Im was invested in the television, which appeared to be about cars. Those three sat on the couch nearest to Sooyoung, which made her uncomfortable.

    

    So her father likes cars? Was the first thought that occurred in her mind when she saw the show that was on, and remembered her boss’ talk about Jennifer very clearly. Did Jinah mention him liking cars? Whether she did or not, it didn’t matter. What mattered was what she could do with that information. 

 

    Sooyoung thought for a bit about what she could do and eventually came up with nothing. The man was rich. He could go to everything he wanted to. The only thing she could do was maybe hurt herself so his family finds their true happiness.

 

    “Sooyoung!” A clap from Jinah’s beautiful hands made her focus back into what was going on and she turned to see Kaeun looking eagerly toward her. “She wants to tell you something.” Jinah pointed with her thumb at the smaller girl.

 

    “Sooyoung! It’s a pity you weren’t paying attention to Jinah and I’s conversation, it was very fun! Anyway, the main topic was about my aunt! She was mixing some ingredients, which I could elaborate on if you’d like-“

 

    “Get on with it Kaeun,” Jinah broke the former speaker’s sentence, she was tired about hearing about coffee. Sure Kaeun talked about other things, she was considerate and smart, but Jinah worried about her obsession with the caffeinated drink. She knew too much about it. The process of her favorite and least favorite mixtures, the process of making coffee, what brands are the most popular in particular countries, details about the ingredients, origins of the words, what word “coffee” is in different languages.. there was so much more it sort of pained Jinah that she only had a job at a cafe. She personally thought her brother’s girlfriend deserved at least some sort of award for her achievements and amazing memory, as well a cafe she owned personally with everything she wanted on the menu. 

 

    This made Jinah smile while Kaeun described yet again the discovery her aunt, another coffee enthusiast, although on a lower level, had made. The discovery wasn’t very interesting to anybody who knew nothing about coffee, but it made her friend happy, which made her tolerate it.

 

    The three younger adults continued talking for about a half hour or so more, then the whole of them ‘enjoyed’ a sitcom Sooyoung’s mother had brought seasons one through four of. The Ims didn’t really laugh often, other than Jinyoung, and after half of the first season the party separated their ways to their beds. The time was two in the morning. 

 

    Sooyoung went to sleep that night feeling a bit disappointed. Sure she learned more about their family, how they act, and even Jinah’s past lovers, but it still felt boring. They didn’t really do anything yet. A smirk painted her face while thinking of what opportunities the next day had in hand, and promised herself she was going to seize as many as possible.