two

Let It Rain

omg yeah this is gonna be a lot bigger than planned. but the chapters are going to be long so I'm trying for like 10 parts at most lmao It's impossible for me to write a short story idek. Anyway, this part is pretty nice hehehe c:


This time Im Jinah scoffed at her brother and crossed her arms. “Where did you get this idea?”

 

    Jinyoung’s expression suddenly turned innocent, or at least an attempt at it. “I’ve never heard you talk about a person as much as her since your ‘almost-fiance.’ There’s two things that come from that. You either are so fascinated in someone with a lot less money than us that you’re investigating her and telling your research to me, or you’re in love with her. I went with the second choice because it’s more fun.” He winked cheekily. He was enjoying this.

 

    His older sister compared to a red pepper. Hot and red. Whether the heat was from anger or just attractiveness, Sooyoung was contemplating. Whether the redness was from anger or embarrassment of the truth, Sooyoung was also contemplating. Although she was very sure a large chunk of it was from anger.

 

    After about a minute or two of just her calming down her breathing, she managed to make a response to her brother’s unrealistic accusations. “You think that, because I mention her every once awhile, that I’m either investigating her or, the most unexpected, in love with her?

 

    A pleased nod. “Of course. Unless you don’t trust my judgement.”

 

    The now less-red Jinah jogged over to Sooyoung. Sooyoung gulped. She didn’t know where this all was going, but mixed feelings swirled in her stomach and the urge to flee was even greater. She really hoped this was a dream.

 

    Not that her boss being in love with her wasn’t desirable. But there was too much going on for her to digest. What if her boss was in love with her? What if any of his accusations were true? Did Jinah really talk about her that much? Who was this ‘almost-fiance,’ and why did they break up? Why was her brother so angry at her boss when his problem was with their mother? Just how was she supposed to act after the result of this?

 

    “First of all, I already had a study on poor and mediocre people. You remember don’t you? It took around five years. I know each person is different and you could think I was learning about her, but that’s wrong. I’ve had enough of that, it was too much of a headache.”

 

    Even though he just got one thing down, Jinyoung still had some mischievousness left. This time she was going to shoot down the big one, the true question. Sooyoung found herself getting even more nervous.

 

    “Of course, that leads us to me having romantic feelings for this woman right here. Which, as you expected, isn’t true. You know I’m a very straightforward person, as you are, Jinyoung, and if it appears I have romantic feelings for somebody, that I tell them. By now, what? Six months after meeting, that’d I’d be in love with her? A very odd assumption.

 

    Sure, I have developed feelings of care and worry about her, but nothing close to romantic. I don’t have anything against homoual love, we’re all humans in the long run, and I’d accept whoever I end up wanting to spend the rest of my life with. But even though she’s been a very hard working, tolerative, and kind employee, I can assure you that no romantic feelings for each other on this side have come. As for her side to me, that doesn’t have to do with your question.”

 

    Sooyoung couldn’t believe it. Well she could. Since she knew there was a slim chance such a person like Jinah would be in love with a ‘mediocre’ citizen like her. Honestly, her pride was hurt. She was relieved, in one part, but disappointed in another. 

 

    It made her upset how mature Jinah was, why couldn’t she just say ‘no’ instead of the super long explanation? That’d be easier to take. Although she did enjoy the compliments that were given during the explanation.

 

    The mixed feelings in her stomach had gotten worse. This time she wasn’t sure whether it was feelings or some bad food, but she felt like throwing up. Jinah, who was thankfully already at her side, noticed the difference in Sooyoung’s face.

 

    At first the designer thought it was because of her explanation, but after Sooyoung almost fell just standing, she knew there was a problem.

    “Sooyoung, are you alright?” Jinah asked and Jinyoung jogged over to the two, it appeared her explanation had stumped him. His fun was over. Which was upsetting because he could never quite confound his sister. When he swore he was just out of reach, it got farther away.

 

    “I just need to lay down, that’s all.” And maybe throw up a bit. Sooyoung responded and started leaning on Jinah for support to stay up. Jinyoung automatically came to her other side and the two Im family members trudged her over to the couch in the closest inside room.

 

    Now that she was lying down, the feeling to throw up began to fade. She closed her eyes and found herself into a type of half-sleep. She could hear everything they were saying, Jinah was discussing with an employee what to do with her. 

 

    “I don’t really know how much she’s eaten or drank today, or how well her nutrition is, but she seemed fine an hour before a couple of minutes ago. I don’t know whether my explanation of something to her or not was the trigger, but I think we may need to take her to the hospital.” It was then Im Jinah realized how little she knew about her own assistant, even if they went to a meal almost every day, they didn’t speak much about their personal lives. It was sort of sad, in her opinion. Suddenly she wanted to get to know Sooyoung more as a person.

 

    I’m fine, let me take a nap. I’m exhausted. Sooyoung wanted to tell them, but somehow the words just didn’t come out. Completely forgetting about the urge to vomit, her body and mind let her fall into a sweet nap.

    

 

    The young woman found herself waking up in a hospital bed thirteen hours later. Apparently she had a bit of a nap. Her dream was weird too, she and Jinah were on a date. At an amusement park. And they kissed. She sort of enjoyed it, but also was confused by it.

 

    “Look who’s awake!” The voice of her own mother. Oh, her mother. Why is my mom here? “How was your nap sleepy head? I hope you slept well, apparently you were having some kind of exhaustion problem.” Her mother’s voice was sweeter than normal, and gentle.

 

    “Why am I here? I swear I was fine. It was just...” Sooyoung lifted an arm to feel her head lightly, there was a slight headache in that area. “What happened?”

 

    “After you took your nap until the end of the fancy party, your boss and her handsome brother dragged you here. While still sleeping. I don’t know if you’re going to be paid next week because of the trouble they went through because you!”

 

    Sooyoung had no memory of being shaken to wake up, or even spoken to. All she remembered her dream. Actually, that’s all she could think of. But it scared her, she wanted it out her mind immediately.

 

    “How did the doctors know what to do while I was sleeping? Is that why I have this thing on my arm? And I feel like I lost a lung?”

 

    “You didn’t loose a lung, they just found some bad food and had to make you throw it up. The hard way. It was weird because you were half asleep the whole time it was happening. Jinyoung said it was an amusing sight.”

 

    I bet he did. Bastard. Sooyoung sighed and remembered that after one roller coaster in her dream that she threw up...and how it fit the circumstance perfectly. But the plot of the dream was still running through her mind and she didn’t want it to.

 

    “So mom, how’ve you been? Haven’t seen you in awhile, if this hadn’t happened we were going to see each other anyway because of Christmas but-”

 

    “Honey, I’m fine. You, obviously aren’t. Are you hungry? Would you like some breakfast? Nana said she was coming soon to see how you were going.”

 

    Sooyoung gulped, because of her dream and the night before she was nervous to see her boss. Her mom was relaxing and brought a candy aura, while her boss brought a strict and tough atmosphere most of the time. She wasn’t prepared to see, and especially talk with, Im Jinah.

    “I’d just like some tea, that’s all. My throat feels weird.”

 

    “Of course! I’d love to! As long as you get better sooner. I have to be home soon, your grandparents are supposed to be coming over tonight.”

    Sooyoung’s eyes widened, “They’re coming over already? They’re staying two weeks this time?”

 

    Her mom nodded, “Yes! After all, this is the year their youngest grandchild got a good job! They were hoping to see you at dinner tomorrow, but you can’t-”

 

    “No, no, I’ll be there. You don’t worry about me, I probably just need to sleep some more. You know sleep is a very effective cleaning machine for your body. I also need a shower. Then I’ll be all back to normal.” Sooyoung sent an amiable smile to her mother and shooed her out to get the tea.

 

    “Oh, you’re here already! I didn’t think you would be here so quickly! Go on in, she’s awake. I’m just getting some tea for her.” Sooyoung knew who it was. Jinah was there already. And she wasn’t ready for her.

 

    Quickly attempting to fix her probably terribly messed up hair, she set herself to look like she’d been awake for at least a half hour. She grabbed her phone and opened it quickly to resemble that she was just casually scrolling while her mother was out.

 

    “Sooyoung,” Jinah’s voice was softer than usual. Friendlier. Sooyoung was getting nervous again. “How do you feel?”

 

    She set down the device on her lap and tried to smile, “Not too bad, just a little bad. I’m sorry if I ruined the party for you and your brother, I didn’t want to be involved in the first place. Then he asked that question and it caught me off guard and-”

 

    “Stop rambling. Get your mind settled before speaking.” Jinah was back in control. She couldn’t stand people rambling, even if that person was sick.

    “Sorry.” Just seeing Jinah made her think of her very vivid dream, she hated it. Of all the things to dream of.

 

    Jinah moved Sooyoung’s mother’s bag on the seat next to the bed onto the floor and sat cross legged on the seat. Sooyoung found herself looking across the woman’s body, especially the legs. Her boss’ beauty was an amazement to her daily.

 

    But that’s not what they were discussing. She lightly shook her head, even if there was a headache, to vanish the thought. “Anyway, I’m really sorry about last night. If I wasn’t there-”

 

    “If you weren’t there, the party would’ve been boring. As much as I love bragging and trying to sound nice to those old farts, I had fun carrying you. Even while worried, I laughed at your sleeping expression. It seemed you had a dream regarding me since I heard you whisper ‘Jinah unnie,’ in your sleep.”

 

    Sooyoung turned a light pink of embarrassment, although she was pleased that Jinah had fun at her pain. Which although sounded absurd, it wasn’t the case at all. “I did...I guess. You were in it a little.” Her eyes wandered on the floor again, staring at Jinah’s glorious heels. 

 

    “Look me in the eye when you speak. Don’t be scared of me.” Sooyoung was scared though. She didn’t want to say anything or even be in that room. 

    So she looked up and sighed, “Good. Now tell me about your dream.”

 

    Who do you think you are? My psychologist? Sooyoung desperately wanted to say, but Jinah’s dark eyes were too strict and demanding that she felt almost forced to respond.

 

    “I was on a date at an amusement park, and you were there. You weren’t there a lot, though.” She felt the instinct to turn her face away so that Jinah couldn’t know she was lying, because she knew that the moment she did, her boss would know.

 

    The twenty-three year old nodded, “I see. Who were you on a date with, if you mind me asking? I know dreams can be personal.”

 

    Sooyoung was relieved that Jinah didn’t want to know too much about her night vision. She pulled out another lie, “It was somebody you don’t know, some guy that was in my elementary school.”

 

    Jinah nodded again, “Well, if it didn’t have to do with me much, it’s fine. Anyway, my brother really enjoyed last night. He said after the whole fights were over, you suddenly becoming ill was the highlight of the party.”

 

    Does their family just love my pain? Is that their source of energy? I thought they were warming up to me... Sooyoung grabbed her phone again and realized she had about ten texts from friends concerning her sickness.

 

    “Oh yeah, about your phone, I added Jinyoung’s number, if you don’t mind. He wanted to continue that ‘domestic conversation’ you guys were having last night,” Jinah had a slight smirk on her face and continued, “Even though I bet it was just talking about himself.”

 

    Sooyoung’s eyes widened in amazement, “How did you get into my phone? I have a very safe lock on it!” 

 

    Her boss rolled her eyes, “I saw you type it in before, you don’t really care about secrecy as much as I thought, sometimes you had right in the open when you unlock it. Anyway, I don’t think your own birthday is very safe.”

 

    The ‘sick’ person replied to one of the texts from Jooyeon and lied back down on the bed, “You guys really are messed up. You’re right though, the discussion was mainly about him. Anyway, I think my lock is fine, I can remember my own birthday.”

 

    Jinah reached over and stole the cell phone out of Sooyoung’s hands in a flash saying, “I’ll change it to...” she paused seeing her employee’s background. “Cute dog, is it yours?”

 

    “Give me my phone back! You shouldn’t stress out a sick person! Also, I didn’t think you’d be so childish after yelling to your brother about the same behavior.”

 

    “We’re not at work right now, I can act however I want; plus, I just want my brother to know when to act correctly. Like right now, behavior like this is acceptable by both parties participating.” 

 

    “It’s not to me.”

 

    “Yes it is, I can hear the foolishness in your voice.”

 

    “My voice is serious I swear.”

 

    “No it’s not.”

 

    “Im Jinah!” Sooyoung sent out an exasperated yell and immediately continued after seeing Jinah’s response. Which, wasn’t that good. “Unnie, give me my phone back.” She then watched as her employer proceeded to take a selca on her phone.

 

    A couple seconds later the phone was back its owner’s hands, warmer after being handled. “D-did you just, take a selca...using my phone?” Sooyoung couldn’t believe how immature Jinah was being, it was the most she’d ever witnessed.

 

    “It’s your background now, enjoy. Also your passcode is my birthday too. I’m sure that’s easy to remember. It’s September Fourteenth, which is zero-nine-one-four.” Then she had the nerve to wink cutely to Sooyoung.

 

    Sooyoung really couldn’t believe this family. No matter how much she loved that wink, it was unacceptable. “You’re unbelievable, that family of yours. When is my mother coming back? I can’t stand being alone with you anymore.”

 

    Nana then stood up, bowed lightly, and headed back to the door happily, “That was my mission. Try to be back to work as soon as possible, this makeshift assistant is trashy enough to join that umbrella of yours. Enjoy your time off, though.” The door was shut. Sooyoung was finally alone, and she frustratingly punched her pillow.

 

    

    After spending the rest of the day at the hospital, she was discharged the next morning. Kaeun, Jooyeon, her father, and a more recent addition to her friends; Yiyoung, all visited her that day. They all asked the same questions, about her health, how it happened, if they wanted to help. To her fortune, Jinyoung never visited, nor did Jinah again. She didn’t want to see anybody from that family for a good week.

 

    Too bad that only lasted eighteen hours. The next morning, while her mother was helping her get everything together (Jinah and her mom had brought some clothes the night of the accident) to leave, the dreaded handsome Jinyoung had come to ‘visit.’ 

 

    “Hello, Sooyoung’s mother. You remember me, right?” He sounded so much sweeter and softer to her mother, Sooyoung was ready to spit at him. She wasn’t forgiving him for that scare easily.

 

    Her mother was too happy to see him, “Hello Jinyoung-ah! I’m still sorry about any trouble my daughter caused you or your sister, although you seem like great kids so I’m guessing you already forgave her for that.” ‘Great kids,’ huh? Funny. Very funny.

 

    “Sooyoung-ah, what are you doing not welcoming one of your saviors?”

 

    Listening to her mother, she did a light bow and sent out a quiet smile, “Nice to see you here, Jinyoung.”

 

    “You too, Sooyoung. I see all’s coming along well, since you’re being discharged already. My sister was really worried about you, you know.” He smirked and sent a greasy wink. Sooyoung rolled her eyes. The Im family really did enjoy her pain. And they were milking it as much as an entertainment company milks its most popular act.

 

    “I’m sure she was, although yesterday when she visited me she said you had the most fun with my body’s failure.” 

 

    “Well, it was shared joy.” He sent another radiant smile out and zipped the suitcase closed, lightly tapping her shoulder with his hand. “You brought the family together.”

 

    Sooyoung could hardly tolerate it anymore. She was sure the family was going to have to jointly decapitate her to become a close nit bunch at this point. She stood up straight and looked him almost in the eye (he was taller than her, of course). “Y-you...I don’t understand you.”

 

    He laughed lightly, why is he so soft now? This is frustrating. “I know! Isn’t it great?” 

 

    Sooyoung leaned in toward his nearest ear and whispered, “I’m never going to see you again. Step in my area and you won’t be able to have kids.” She silently made the neck knife slice gesture and harsh eyes.

 

    “Are you sharing secrets? How cute!” Her mom exclaimed cheerfully and plopped the suitcase onto the ground. “Come on, you have to go to one last checkup before we leave.”

 

    “Mom! Don’t ruin my thunder!”

 

    “What thunder?”

 

    “Mom!”

 

    More laughter from Jinyoung. Sooyoung suddenly missed Jinah seeing his facial structure and hearing his laughter and sighed, if only she wasn’t prescribed another two days’ rest. 

 

    “Say bye to him, I’ll be waiting out in the hall.” Her mother sounded like she was excited about getting a new son-in-law and quickly exited the room.

    Leaving her employer’s brother there, Sooyoung ran after her yelling, “It isn’t like you think! Mom! Let me explain! I swear!” 

 

 

    Sooyoung’s two days of rest were as boring as the party and she was constantly regretting going. Her relationship with Jinah was going along so well until that party, then suddenly her whole family thinks she’s dating that smart of Jinah’s brother. It was tiring explaining to her grandparents. They were really anxious about the matter.

 

    “So...you’re saying you don’t have a boyfriend?” Her grandmother sighed and reached for the book she was reading beforehand. “You need to be clearer on these things before it happens again.”

 

    Sooyoung sighed, “I know, I know.”

 

    “I think it’s good, she’s too young for boys anyway.” Her grandpa smiled and moved his legs to the footrest. A slither of hope, or something that was positive, rose in Sooyoung. She wasn’t sure what it was, but she liked the idea of her grandfather against boys.

 

    “She’s twenty-two! She’s not twelve! She can have a boyfriend if she wants.” Her grandma started the conversation as always. She was always there to defend her precious granddaughter.

 

    “She should wait until twenty-five, get a boyfriend, get married, produce some grandchildren, and then talk.”

 

    “Why twenty-five? She needs to experience love before getting a first boyfriend so she knows that he’s the right one.”

 

    “Gibberish, I know the first one will be the right one with her.”

 

    “Guys, stop! Remember it’s my life in the end, and I’ll do what makes me happy, okay?” Sooyoung always needed to in when her family was arguing over her, otherwise they would go on forever. At least they respected her decisions.

 

    Her grandfather nodded, “As long as you marry before thirty, alright?” 

 

    “Of course, grandpa.”

 

    Other than breaking up arguments, she spent the other day in rest wrapping tons of Christmas presents. Her father’s side of the family was huge, and apparently every member needed at least $1 to get along well. She was constantly taping things and envelopes. They mixed the Christmas and New Years things together at once so it was easier.

 

    At the end of the second day she was exhausted and feeling much better. She felt the urge to text Jinah something, because, honestly, she had missed her. She missed being yelled at everyday for small things, being poked every once awhile (just in the arm) to do something, the woman in general. Sooyoung thought it was pitiful, but acceptable. It was acceptable to miss work, right? 

 

 

    The next day, finally back to work. Kaeun was very pleased to see her, smiling in her upbeat and cute way. She wished her extra health during the day and that nothing bad to happen. 

 

    Jinah was more relaxed now that her ‘favorite’ assistant was back and that the ‘trash’ one was gone. Apparently some college student had took her place for those four days and was very unorganized, even with her speech. Jinah explained at lunch how much she had managed to dislike the kid. It made Sooyoung smile, hearing stories of hate again. That was normal.

 

    They discussed some things regarding work, Sooyoung talked about how annoyed she was getting at Jinyoung and her family, and she was thankful how Jinah was nothing like her brother in conversations. They weren’t always about her. Actually, she preferred to keep the conversation evenly with both ends because otherwise it would irritate her.

 

    “So your family thinks you’re dating my brother?” Jinah asked with a bit of childishness, laughing to herself. “I like how this is going, our families interacting.” Her boss smiled and Sooyoung found her heart running a bit faster. Why? She wasn’t sure.

 

    “Did you mean to say that? I didn’t think you would’ve liked me even talking to anybody from your family.” Sooyoung nervously questioned, trying to calm down her heart. She hoped that stomach sickness or whatever it was hadn’t gone to her heart now.

 

    “Actually, I was hoping your family would rub off of mine and make mine more like a family.” 

 

    Sooyoung nodded, “I see. So you want our families to meet each other more often?” She tried to hide back a smile at the thought of possibly seeing Jinah more than work days. Now the sickness had gotten to her emotions!


    “Of course, and make sure your family is annoying but tolerable as possible. Otherwise my family would just fire you and leave the room.” Jinah’s response was very truthful, her family was the that kind of people. “They also judge you no matter what, so don’t worry if they hate your family at first.”

    “Well, we’re having a Christmas party for family friends on the twenty-sixth, could you see if they’re open that day?” 

 

    “I’ll see, is this a deal now?”

 

    “A deal? Hm...” Suddenly Sooyoung was reminded of her initial mission around four months ago, and smiled widely. “If my family gets yours to be friendlier with each other and more caring, can I have something in return?”

 

    Jinah seemed curious with the other part of the exchange, “Well, yes. What is it you want? I can give you money.” She grabbed her purse from next to the seat and began to it.

 

    “I want to know why you’re so weird with rain.”

 

    Jinah paused and set the bag back down, staring at the unknown. She was in deep thought and after about a minute and a half later agreed slowly. “I can tell you...but only if those things happen, otherwise, you only know about the rumors. Are we clear?”

 

    Sooyoung knew what she had gotten herself into, and was prepared. “We’re clear. See you on the twenty-sixth.”