You Don't Love Me

Chaussure Rouge

Nothing happened for the next few days. Woohyun's wedding was in a week and he probably spent more time at the studio than he ever did before. His girlfriend was stressed all day long and most of her choices were getting changed in the last minute because she didn't like them anymore. Woohyun tried to help her but she would make a fuss and they'd end up fighting. He preferred to be far away for the rest of the time; or until she would calm down.

That was how Woohyun ended up meeting someone familiar yet not really. He was working in an art studio where painters would often come with new works. It didn't catch his eyes before but there was a painting that looked familiar. It was of a bird, spreading its wings in the sky. He smiled while watching it. It gave off comfort for a certain reason.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Woohyun jumped when he felt someone pat his shoulder. It was Sungyeol.

"Nothing. What are you doing here?"

It was known that Sungyeol wouldn't enter the studio because his ex-girlfriend worked there. It was better not to meet her since they didn't break up in a nice way.

"There's something bugging me," Woohyun rolled his eyes. He was staring again with the bartender.

"Aren't you tired of remembering her? Why don't you just go and visit?" Sungyeol shook his head disappointingly.

"Where is your sense of adventure? I want to meet her outside that bar." Woohyun rolled his eyes and followed Sungyeol outside.

"Go ask Sunggyu. He knows the boss," Sungyeol raised an eyebrow and considered that idea.

 

 

That was how they ended up in front of Sunggyu's apartment, wondering if he was up or sleeping again until late.

Woohyun rung the doorbell and surprisingly, Sunggyu was awake and even dressed.

"I want you to introduce me to the boss of that bar," Sungyeol said bluntly.

Sunggyu stared at his dongsaeng for a few minutes before he shrugged.

"I'm going there anyway. She should be with her brother," Sungyeol's eyes widened and immediately followed Sunggyu. Woohyun was still wandering how he got dragged along.

 

 

Unlike what Sungyeol and Woohyun were expecting, Sunggyu led them to Seoul National University. The two boys stared in awe at the building, completely dazed. The building seemed to be shining with intellectuality and sincerely, Sungyeol was quite struck. On the other side, Sunggyu was grumpy and couldn’t care less where he was.

“What are we doing here?” Sungyeol asked, seeing Sunggyu prepare himself for mentally fighting with her.

“We’re here to see Chaussure Rouge. Isn’t that what you wanted?” Sunggyu snapped at his friend, a bit too violent for liking. However, Sungyeol seemed completely calm and shrugged Sunggyu off quickly.

They followed their leader inside the university, towards the elevator. They never knew the university had an elevator in the first place but then again, they never entered to verify.

“Isn’t this one of the best universities in South Korea?” Woohyun mumbled, feeling a bit uncomfortable. He finished Hanyang University in business since his father graduated from the same university. Being there was a bit disappointing since he had wanted to graduate one of the SKY in the past.

Sunggyu nodded but didn’t vocally explain therefore, Sungyeol and Woohyun decided to wait and see.

They stopped on the third floor and quickly walked through the crowd of students towards a certain place in the building; the cafeteria.  Just like he thought, she was there with her brother, talking and laughing with their friends. They could see three girls and only one tall boy, talking to each other, the girls being quite animated at some point.

He narrowed his eyes at her and hurried over, but with his chin high and his artist personality taking over. He was a singer in the end, and even if he wasn’t a big shot he had enough potential to be. Woohyun and Sungyeol glanced at each other before they followed their hyung, a bit more humble since they were in an unknown environment.

“Minho! Nice to see you!” Sunggyu exclaimed, though not very loud.

The guy, Minho, turned around and smiled before he beckoned Sunggyu to come closer. They hugged and he invited the three men to take a seat at their table. Sunggyu sat right across her while the others sat in between two women.

“Aren’t you the new singer, Kim Sunggyu?” One of the women asked, blushing faintly when he smirked at her.

“Yes, I am. Are you a fan?” He asked, surprisingly the table with his kind and alluring smile.

“Well, yes. You’re very handsome and I like your voice,” She mumbled, blushing even more.

“That’s because he has to compensate for his miserable personality,” The girl across Sunggyu responded, one eyebrow raised and a scowl on her pretty face. Sungyeol nudged Sunggyu and laughed loudly, making everyone in the cafeteria look at them.

Minho rolled his eyes and kicked her under the table.

“Interesting since you have the same personality; maybe even worse,” He spit back, making Sungyeol laugh even more.

Woohyun was a bit overwhelmed by what was happening and wanted to make peace before the two would actually have a fight or Sungyeol will die from suffocation with how hard he was laughing.

“Wait. So you are really Cha-“ Woohyun winced when he felt someone kick him in the knee really hard. He was curious if it was Sunggyu or the girl who seemed familiar.

Minho sighed heavily and turned to the two women.

“Let’s finish the preparations in the afternoon and talk to the teacher about it.” Minho started with a charming smile on his face. The girls were immune to it since they knew each other since middle school but left nonetheless.

 

 

In the end, only the four of them remained in total silence. Sunggyu and the girl were staring at each other while Sungyeol and Woohyun were standing there, awkwardly.

“Hello. I’m Choi Minho and this is my sister, Choi Sora.” The tall boy introduced himself and his sister. “I’m majoring in modern architecture.” He continued, making small talk.

Sungyeol introduced each other as well, being far kinder than Sunggyu. Minho found out that unlike how they looked, Woohyun inherited his family’s chain of international expositions and Sungyeol was one of the painters whose work was exposed. That was how they met, actually.

“What about Sunggyu? How do you know him?” Minho asked, curiously.

“We didn’t. Sunggyu knew Hoya from his manager. We knew Hoya because he works at the same law firm as my future wife.” Woohyun responded, smiling at the mention of his fiancée.

Minho’s eyes widened and he started to congratulate the young man, “Isn’t that wonderful? When is the big event?”

“Next week. We will have a garden wedding.” Woohyun responded, his eyes sparkling with happiness.

“Do you have a designer? Sora works as an interior designer at the best company in Seoul!” Minho exclaimed, moving the whole attention on her.

“I’m sure he already has someone, Minho.” She leaned towards her brother and whispered.

“Wait. You’re an interior designer? I thought you own Chaussure Rouge.” Sungyeol talked without thinking. Sora and Minho froze and glanced at each other warily. Sunggyu scoffed and hit his friend lightly.

“Is this your new hobby now? Telling your friends about me?” She hissed at Sunggyu. Her eyes narrowed and she looked just like a cat.

“You already hired one of my friends already so it doesn’t matter anymore. You haven’t forgotten Myungsoo, have you?” The singer snarled back, his lips quirking up slightly.

Sunggyu has known the Choi siblings ever since high school, when he first met Sora. They were in the same class and she was originally studying classical music. Sora’s mother was a known conductor at the national orchestra while her father was working in the architecture industry. Minho always loved his father and has been intrigued by his work so he chose the same path in life. On the other side, Sora didn’t take the same path as her mother and chose design, no matter which one truthfully. In the end she went to Paris and studied fashion design but because she hated how people were treating her, she returned to Seoul and changed to interior design. It was working well for her and Minho but Sungyeol wanted to ask one little detail.

“If you’re rich and have a career, why having a bar like that?”

“Like what? There’s no trace of ion since my girls only taunt, never have ual relationships. They come because they like obscurity; they want to escape their usual lives, they want a break from commonness. Chaussure Rouge is not about what the client wants, it’s about manipulation.” She explained exactly what she learned from her adventure in Amsterdam.

“So every girl working there is actually decent and has a job?” Sungyeol asked, his mind turning back to what his original mission was. “What about the bartender?” He asked after leaning over the table.

Sora raised an eyebrow and smirked when she realized why Sungyeol and Woohyun came with Sunggyu. She could lie and have a laugh later or she could tell him who the bartender was.

“Why do you want to know about her?” Sora asked, leaning over the table as well with a playful glint in her eyes. Sungyeol wasn’t stupid and immediately realized what she was playing at. He wasn’t stupid and loved to mess with his hyungs so Sora was definitely not going to outplay him.

“Everything starting with her name. You can tell me now or I can have Myungsoo find out and tell me later. Anyway, I will find out what I want to know.” He threatened completely serious but she only chuckled.

“What if I tell her that she’s in a relationship? Or even worse, married?” Well Sungyeol haven’t thought about that yet and tried to ignore those theories.

“What if hypothetically speaking she doesn’t? And what if hypothetically speaking, she ends up liking me? Would that be profitable for you?” She scoffed.

“Why would that be profitable for me? The girls aren’t supposed to be committed or else the clients make a fuss.” She froze when she realized she gave herself out. Sungyeol chuckled proudly and leaned back in his seat, high fiving Sunggyu and Woohyun.    

“He got you, noona,” Minho chuckled and wrapped an arm around her, trying to comfort her since not many people were smart enough to turn her words against her.

“Fine. You win. Next time you come around I will introduce her to you. For now, I can only tell you her name.” She started. The whole group leaned closer, having the desire to know at least one other girl from the bar. “Kim Dana.” She whispered before she got her things and walked away, to her schedule.

 

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened and his mind worked quickly, trying to come up with a way to speak to her; alone. In only a few seconds he made his mind and abandoned his friends, running after Sora. He caught her right when she entered the elevator and, to his delight and her disappointment, he got in before the doors closed.

“We still have to talk,” He started, his personality changing quickly from the whining kid in front of his friends to a firm man who had a mission.

“I thought I already made it clear a few nights ago,” Sora, however, was too used to Sunggyu and his antics. “Ever since you entered the music industry, you became more and more popular. I’m sure you don’t need fussy me to gather sorrow and stress to-“ Sora froze and felt a knot in her stomach when she got interrupted and even pulled into his arms.

Sunggyu was kissing her; on the lips, in the elevator of Seoul National University. That wasn’t exactly the most romantic place to do that; not after Sunggyu has been in a relationship with Sora’s former best friend in high school.