Amnesia [2]

Amnesia

"Oppa, what really happened? How did you get into that accident?" Tiffany asked one time, weeks after Nickhun got out of the hospital.

Focusing his eyes on the road, "Nothing. The brakes just didn't function. That's all. Stop your worrying. Everything's fine now." He answered as he took a quick glance at her.

Smiling faintly, "Okay." She said giving in.

Aside from that girl - Rian, he can't even recall what really happened to him that night, he is guessing those were the things he's forgotten. 

Yeah, the brakes were lies he's telling them. Ever since that unfortunate event, everyone has been to worried about him and he hate it. He doesn't want troubling others. 

 


It was a late Saturday evening, Nickhun is out all alone. He doesn't know what's gotten into him but only found his feet dragging him to some place nostalgic - in a nearby park.

He quietly sat on the swing, simply sitting with a light movement of his feet. He focused his eyes on the ground's soil, not minding of anything when minutes later as he took a glance at his right, he could already see somebody's back seated at the other swing beside him. Based on the posture of it, he guessed that it is indeed a girl.

He silently just stayed to where he is, as long as the woman don't switch direction and look at him, he's safe.

Seconds later, a gush of strong wind passed by and he could hear her sniffling. Being the good man that he is, he can't help but to keep the lady beside him warm.

Without looking at her, he stretched his hand and passed over his hand warmers.

"Oh, no. No, thank you. I'm fine. I'll get going too." She said as she slightly taps his hand.

Though she find it thoughtful and sweet, 'What have I gotten myself into?' Victoria thought to herself. She just went at the park for a short walk and just to clear her mind off not to get attention. But the swing took her heart, she couldn't go without even sitting on it. That's why she decided to go for a moment and be of opposite direction with the man.

"I insist. Please, take it. I can't let a woman get cold." He said, now looking at her.

Without much choice, she accepted it. She turned her head, "Okay. Thank you again Ahjussi." she said while continuously bowing.

Chuckling, 'This woman is hilarious.' Nickhun thought to himself.

"Oppa would be better...?" He responded, trailing off for he didn't got to catch her name.

"So.." She answered, faltering soon as they met gazes.

"Rian. He cut in, delighted at the sight of the girl he's been thinking for some time now.

Getting back at her senses, she continued after being in daze of the playful encounter. "Nickun-ssi. What are you doing here? Are you alone? Are you fully recovered now?" She can't help but ask. The sole reason she decided to stroll in the first place is right here in front of her. Truthfully, she's been worried for him. The last time they talk was at the hospital when she ran away. There weren't really any articles that came out about his accident, JYP Ent were good in burying it out. That's why she haven't had news about how he was doing after that. It's good to see he's all better now.

Nickhun was stunned when he saw the woman in front of him. He didn't expect who he'll crash into. How lucky he is, he thought. The face he can't forget. The woman who has stolen a part of him. With just a simple hoodie and sweatpants, she still appears beautiful for him.

Not answering her queries, he happily stared at her, "Rian, I missed you." And uttered. He doesn't know what came to him that made him say those words but he just felt the need to say it. Thus, he does mean it. Every day that he was in the hospital, he has been waiting and expecting for her visit again but then it didn't happen. It made him grumpy and disappointed; the people around him thought it was the after effect of the medicines he was taking in that they just shrug it off and just understand. He haven't talked to anyone, not even s nor his girlfriend, Tiffany, about his meeting with Rian. He feels sorry for being unfaithful to Stephanie for even thinking of another girl but there's just something about Rian that he can't seem to shake nor get out of his head.

Melting from his captivating expression, add up those pleasing words, Victoria couldn't find her tongue to even say a single statement. Like the cold wind she felt awhile back, she's frozen in her seat.

"Did I stun you? I'm sorry. It's just, we had a short talk last time. How are you? You haven't came back after your first visit. Is everything all right?" Nickhun stated.

"For a moment, yes. But it's okay." She awkwardly giggled to hide her emotions. She couldn't believe it. He's talking to her like the first time they met and she couldn't be more happy about it.

With those heartwarming smile, he said. "You mentioned earlier that you'll be going, I am too. Do you mind if I take you home?"

"Ahm, I..." Victoria, answering reluctantly.

Seeing her uneagerness, Nickhun raised both of his hand while saying, "But if you don't, it's all right. No hard feelings. I just want to make sure, you're safely home. That's all."

Of course, chivalry isn't dead to him. 'I should go for it, right? While this still lasts. Sooner, he'll recognize me and God knows I'm the last person he wants to be associated with right now.' She thought to herself.

"If you insist, sure." In the end, she let him take her home. Who could even have a heart to turn down that expectant face?

Nickhun, who didn't anticipate for her to say yes and allowed him, was surprised and couldn't help his face but to grimace, as if he won the lottery.

Grinning awkwardly, while scratching the back of his head, "But... there's a little of a problem. I, uh, haven't brought my car with me..so..uhm" he said trailing off.

Victoria just stared at him. Then, laughed at his innocent expression. Again, he flashed that smile that could flutter every woman's heart. To avoid him noticing hers, she walked off first leaving him behind.

He followed her, taking her reaction as a yes.

 


 

I am not sure if this is fate mocking me. Victoria thought to herself. Why of all places does he have to go here? And why of all people does it have to be him I'll bump into? It's not that I don't want to see him because I do. I've been wanting to. But things between us is just so hard. Maybe this is my price to pay after hurting him.

After how many years of her staying in South Korea, she's become well aware of almost everything in it - down to the most trivial things. That's why she can't help but to ponder on the reason why tonight their dorm seems too far away when it is just around the corner.

This is awkward. It's like WGM days all over again. Except that I already know him while he doesn't. Eventually, I know he'll find out my identity. But should I tell him the truth, now? I want him to hear it from me. And perhaps, I could tell him the real reason why I left him behind and this time he'll try to listen to me.

Nickhun catched up to Victoria, they're now walking side by side. To remove the awkwardness between them, he decided to open up a conversation.

"So, uhm. Last time you told me that we're not in good terms. I want to change that. Can we be friends, again?" He hesitantly suggested.

Here she goes again, with the pause and all. It's making me nervous. I don't know what happened between us in the past but I just felt like she's somewhat veracious and I'm very much comfortable with her.

Biting her lip, "I don't know. I want to but I can't, right now. I'm sorry."

"Why not? Is it because I did you wrong? Let me make it up to you then." Confused, he asked.

Victoria shaking her head, "No, no. You're a great man, Nickhun. There's nothing wrong with you. It's me. I'm the problem. I couldn't let you. I dont want to. With your current state. It isn't fair to you. I can't.."

I've been unfair to you since then. I don't want to do it again. As much as I'd like to get close to you, I won't. Not right now. I'll let you have your memories lost recovered first. I wouldn't take this chance even though I'm dying to grab it. I can't take advantage of your state.

Giving out his warmest smile, "Alright. Point taken. I understand. But.. it is all in the past now. Can't we..? At least, let's start over and leave everything in the past." He firmly stated.

Victoria with a fazed expression, is about to object when Nickhun interrupted her by saying, "No. Whatever it is you've done, I forgive you. Whether you like it or not. We. Are. Friends." With finality on his tone.

If there's one thing I learned after getting into that accident, it is that you never know when your time's up. Every second counts, so you should do what you have to do.

Having no choice, she just got on with it and let him be. Besides, she's gonna be the one to benefit in all these. Might as well be glad and thankful.

She stopped as they finally arrived on her dorm. She's having second thoughts if she'll invite him in or not. The humane thing is to let him come over but something's stopping her. The media and his girlfriend. This isn't right. Although we are now again friends like he mentioned, I couldn't let him. Luckily, the heavens are favoring her. Letting her off the hook when his phone started ringing.

"Just a second." He said, as he raise his phone and answered it in front of her.

Victoria nodded and stood there silently, waiting. She couldn't help but overhear his answers,

"I just went out for a walk and to get some air." .... "Ne. I'm fine. Don't worry." .... "I'm coming home, now."

Wooyoung is like an ahjumma. He has been checking on me every once in awhile. Nickhun can't help but chuckle at the thought, as he put his phone down.

She concluded that it was Tiffany he was talking to but mistaken when he said, explaining, "It was Wooyoung. He's home and looking for me. He's one clingy guy. I better get going before he call for a search party."

Letting out a deep breath, "Yea, I think so too. Thanks for taking me home. Take care!" Victoria said.

"It's nothing. I'll make sure the next time I'll bring you home, it's with my car. It was fun bumping into you. I had a wonderful night. I hope to see you some other time too." Nickhun hopefully said.

Giggling, "Me too. Thank you, again." She responded.

Scratching the back of his head, "Before anything else, can I take your digits?" He shyly asked.

Victoria who was hesitant, in the end gave in for she can't resist this ever attractive guy in front of her and gave him her number.

"Go ahead first. I'll go after I've seen you safe inside." He said, contented.

She said, "Bye!" And got in their dorm. She's obviously happy. It could be seen written all over her face.