The Ball

Bad Student

Krystal Sulli

{ Listened to GOT7 - Confession Song while writing this ^^ }

*

The Ball was too extravagant for many boys’ liking. Girls on the other hand, couldn’t get any happier. It was a huge hall with enormous looking chandelier, high spiral stairs that let both to the left and right sides. Snowflakes falling behind tall windows were a great accent too. Not to talk about the decorations. In the middle of the hall was a gigantic statue of a cherry blossom tree, which attracted many lovey-dovey couples to rest under. Huge puffs of balls that imitated snow were left hanging from the high ceiling, creating an even lovelier atmosphere. Overall, the hall dwelled with wealth and luxury.

Her brother’s high tuition for this school might be explained in one celebration alone, Krystal thought to herself as she intertwined arms with her younger sibling. Sulli strolling by his another side, the trio made quite a grand entrance from the second floor, since Jaejoong was a tad late to bring them here, leaving the staircase only for them. Slowly making their way to the ball (girls’ heels prevented them from hurrying), they overlooked a beautiful view.

It was like one of those royal gatherings from children’s books. Everyone happily chatting either in pairs or in groups, waiters making their way to deliver drinks, sweet winter music ringing though speakers. Boys dressed in pricey-looking suits and girls swaying in princess gowns from side to side, everything looked perfect. The couples dancing in the middle by the tree statue swirled around in unison, creating the whole image. Just like a scene from fairytale.

Signing at such luxurious image, the trio walked down the stairs, their exceptional good looks attracting much attention. Even Jungkook, already used to how his private school handled every celebration in such style, was still impressed.

Everyone went all out for the ball, from boy’s tuxedos to girls' glistening jewelry, nevertheless the Jung siblings with Sulli by their side looked incredulously prepared for such gathering.

Shy, the taller girl fixed her wavy hair out of her way, a clear signal she was getting intimidated by everyone’s eyes on the three. Saving her from accidentally slipping while walking down the last step, Jungkook instructed her to intertwine her hand with his. Blushing, the girl did as said and watched as a group of boys surrounded them.

“Jungkook,” one of the boys, the one with light white hair and small height, greeted the boy. “Some of these idiots couldn’t find a girl to bring as a companion tonight, but you brought two. Are you showing off?”

Smirking, the Jung introduced the girls to his friends. “This is my sister Krystal, and here is her friend Sulli. Why, are you jealous, Suga?”

“Oh, you’re the girl from the basketball match,” another shorter boy with dark brown curls pointed at Krystal, “Nice to see you again,” he smiled.

Krystal racket her brain for his name. “Jimin, is it? Nice to see you too.”

“Where are your pairs?” Jungkook stopped any further flirting coming from his best friend. The last thing he wanted to see was his friends hitting on his own dear sister.

“Those girls from the sister school are unreasonably annoying. We invited them, yet they bundled together and dance by their group, leaving us out. Wasn’t this whole celebration just to connect the two private schools?” Another boy, Hoseok, grimaced and pointed to the said group standing by the wall.

“I though you boys could invite any female guests you wanted,” Sulli pointed out.

Krystal also looked at her sibling. “We could invite anyone we wanted, but the main thought behind this was to pair up with any girl from this other school. We had few recent trips to invite them, too.”

“Let me guess,” the sister glared at her brother, her hands on her hips. “It was too much of a trouble to you? That’s why you just went with your sister?”

“Actually, he even skipped those trips,” a tall handsome boy from the group intervened.

“Aish,” Jungkook grabbed Sulli’s hand, surprising the girl. She has only seen it in the dramas. “Let’s just go and dance,” he instructed his friends.

Chuckling at her brother, Krystal watched as the group separated. Her best friend and Jungkook by the statue, others asking their dates for a dance (surprisingly they all gladly agreed to it), the female was left alone.

It didn’t take long for people to start gathering around her though, as girls praised her long shimmery red dress and boys asking for a dance, Krystal was also so occupied, that a few hours passed unnoticed.

The girl was dancing with her youngest sibling when she noticed someone familiar in the crowd. The said young man almost gagged his eyes out when their eyes met. The surprise was mutual.

“Myungsoo?” Sulli, who was by the tables with Taehyung, also saw their classmate and decided to walk up to him.

“Choi,” he addressed her formally, his laid back character back in place, hands in pockets.

“Didn’t think you could show up here,” Sulli bluntly said inspecting his gorgeous attire. His usually disheveled blond hair this time styled away from his face, his small forehead showing. Krystal kept her gaze on the two talking whilst dancing with Jungkook.

Myungsoo just shook his shoulders and took an unopened soda can from his table. Uninterested in upcoming conversation, he ce more to the dance floor.

Sulli followed his piercing gaze and giggled, lightly teasing him, “Go ahead and ask her for a dance. And stop with that eye war, it’s giving me goosebumps.” Walking away without a response, the girl led the way to the middle of the hall and lightly tapped her companion’s shoulder. “Wanna dance?”

“Sure,” Jungkook let go of his sister and took Sulli into his hold instead.

Left alone so abruptly in the middle of the hall with her classmate watching her every move, Krystal lifted her dress just a little bit and with light steps ran away from the dance floor. Coming up next to the cold boy, she inspected his upgraded look from her peripheral vision. He was doing the same though. Both didn’t dare to catch each other checking another out.

“You look surprisingly nice tonight,” Krystal broke the awkward silence.

Myungsoo smirked to himself, fully content with the praise. “So do you. Want to dance?”

“Oh, so I am up to your standards right now?” she mocked the boy just like usual.

“Not really, but I don’t have much of a choice here, do I?” he right back.

Snickering at such ridiculous bickering herself, Krystal accepted her seatmate’s hand and followed him into the dance floor once again. “Do you even know how to dance?”

Myungsoo almost rolled his eyes, but flashed her a huge grin nevertheless.

Awkwardly putting her arms on his shoulders and looking away from his face, Krystal felt a sudden warm feeling wash over her. This was… nice, actually. She never expected she could stay a minute without wanting to punch him in the face, yet, here they are, trying to dance. Maybe this is what Christmas does to people. Her love for the holiday grew even bigger.

Myungsoo calmly put his hands on the girl's tiny waist, absentmindedly wondering if she always smelled this nice as the sweet aroma of her perfume washed over him. It smelled like spring to him.

Looking at her turned face, he caught a glimpse of red tinting her high cheeks. Grinning a bit by such reaction, he hardened his grip on her and led the dance.

The song was full of Christmas’ feel. It was upbeat, the sound of bells in the background. Unlike what you would expect in such ball, the song was quite new and modern. The pair danced to the song, joining the crowd of couples dancing. At some point of the song, the two danced directly under the beloved cherry tree sculpture.

Krystal was already facing her dance partner by this point. “How come you’re here?”

“I could ask you the same. I didn’t expect to see anyone from our school here.”

“My brother Jungkook is attending this school. He’s the one dancing with Sulli right now,” she looked at the mentioned pair swirling freely a few meters away from them.

“Oh, so he’s your brother,” Myungsoo remembered the boy from their basketball match. The one he mistaken for Krystal’s boyfriend. “My brother is attending this school also.”

“Ah, I see,” Krystal smiled a bit to the boy holding her. “Do you know how long is the ball gonna last?”

“Until twelve, maybe? I’m going to meet with my senior friends from this school in a while, though.”

“That must be nice,” Krystal muttered without a thought. She somehow didn’t want Myungsoo to leave her alone there. Jungkook and Sulli seem pretty much enjoying themselves, not to mention other friends of her brother are nowhere to be found. Not that she wanted to hang around younger boys for the whole night.

Myungsoo found himself blurting out, “Do you want to hang out with us?”

“Huh?” she looked at him straight in the eyes. Smirking, Krystal partner, “If you want me to~”

That cute tone totally threw him out of his shoes. Suddenly blushing, this Kim Myungsoo guy slowed down the dance.

“I take my words back,” he responded, starting to childishly bicker again.

Laughing, Krystal again started to mock Myungsoo in the manner only she could pull off, and Kim Myungsoo found himself wondering how much more annoying could the girl get.

 

*

 

Knowing how overprotective both of her brothers are, Krystal whispered a quick explanation to where and with who she was going to her best friend before running off again to find her seatmate.

Of course, Sulli was left confused; nevertheless, she just made sure her phone was with her at all times. Continuing the chat with Jungkook and his friends, she gave away a quick lie that Krystal met her other female friend and went outside for a quick breeze. This school was fully secured, so the group didn’t really worry about her, surprisingly, not even the Jung boy himself.

Meeting up with Myungsoo’s group outside the school, Krystal got introduced to six boys and their partners. They seemed like a fun group, so Krystal instantly found a topic with few of the girls.

“Should we go to the park nearby?” One of the girls questioned the circle of friends. Krystal raised a brow at them.

“The garden here is really pretty; also there is a beautiful fountain there.”

“But we can’t drink anything here, this place is surrounded with staff,” one of the guys, Sungyeal, said right away.

Krystal’s breathing quickened; she thought they were a fun group, but not that fun. Myungsoo leaned back and whispered into her ear.

“They don’t drink much. They just like the adrenaline of trying not to get caught.”

When the girl kept silent as everyone discussed where to buy drinks and such, Myungsoo was quick to catch the idea. “Do you want me to walk you back to the school?”

“No,” Krystal’s wide eyes quickly found Myungsoo’s glistening ones. “I… want to try it out. I’ve never tried alcohol.”

And it was true. She never even tasted champagne, let alone see anyone drink it in her household. Even when Jaejoong was at the rebellious age (it happened to him too, it was the stage with the funny hair), Krystal never saw him come home even a tad drunk. He always declines his college buddies to go out drinking, too. Maybe he was just that good at hiding it, but the girl didn’t see it that way.

So, she was intrigued.

“Are you sure?” another girl popped in, interested in the conversation. “What they’re choosing right now is pretty strong. Will you be okay?”

“Yes,” Krystal got foolish determination. “Lead the way.”

Other guys wooed for her as she went to the front of the group and walked first to their decided destination. When the drinks were finally opened, Krystal wasn’t so sure about her decision anymore.

 

*

 

“Myungsoo~” Krystal leaned on the boy’s shoulder, her head dizzy and her heart beating fast. “Am I drunk?~”

Very annoyed, the boy took another shot his friend passed him. “Yes.”

“Krystal, are you taking this one?” Dongwoo grinned at the girl while dancing with his girlfriend.

“Yes~” the female was about to stand up, but Myungsoo’s hands prevented her from doing so. Not that her legs wouldn’t give in if she tried to do so. “Myungsoo. What are you doing?” she pouted comically, her face flushed bright red, almost the same color as her shiny dress. By this point her dress was kind of dirty, as she has fallen a few times (even with Myungsoo looking out for her).

Something buzzed in Krystal’s small purse that she has thrown on the ground. The boy took out the phone and looked at all those new messages.

“. Guys, I need to take Krystal back to school. I’ll be back after that,” he bid goodbye to his mates and lifted the girl in his hands. It wasn’t like she was really heavy or anything like that, just the fact that Myungsoo has been a tad drunk himself. He usually just takes cares of his friends, but today joining him was this troublesome girl who just couldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer every time she poured him a drink.

“Wait, wait!” Krystal tried to push away from Myungsoo’s chest. “I wanna play bottle,” she whispered into his ear.

“Bottle, bottle!” another boy shouted and Myungsoo wondered how the hell his friend heard the whisper.

“What are you talking about? Sulli is about to freak out. You’ve been here longer than expected,” he angrily shouted.

The girl in his arms winced at the shout and turned away from him.

“I’m starting!” Woohyun announced, ‘accidentally’ turning the placed bottle to his companion. Shyly he approached the girl, but as everyone cheered, the two pecked each other's lips.

Krystal watching the act just grew needier. She also wanted to try that out!

“Me, next!”

Myungsoo heaved a sign and had no choice but to let her down. Other girls laughing took their boyfriends away from the spinning zone and watched the show.

“Oh, Myungsoo!” He turned to the drunken girl shouting.

“Bottle chose you…” she gazed at his handsome face, her hands tightly grabbing her long red dress, knuckles turning white.

They were only few feet apart, so it wasn’t hard for him to let out a sign, open his glistening eyes and quickly cup her cheeks and kiss her lips.

Only that wasn’t enough for him.

Sliding his hands on her hips, he pulled Krystal into a strong embrace and opened his mouth.

The passionate kiss took a lot of effort to be stopped, but eventually both of them needed to regain their breath.

This whole time everyone around the couple had been quiet. Impressed by such emotional scene from the usual cold and stoic Kim Myungsoo, his friends didn’t dare to even breathe.

Grabbing the girl in his hold once more, Myungsoo quickly bid goodbye and led the girl towards the school.

“Wow,” one girl cheered, pouring more drinks to her boyfriend. “How come you don’t kiss me like that anymore?!”

 

*

 

Krystal shyly lying in his arms as he walked, Myungsoo felt his body heating up. Her bare arms placed on his shoulders just like when they were dancing, her eyes staring at his face and her messed red lipstick catching his attention. He couldn’t possibly let her brother see her lips looking like that.

So just with this excuse, Myungsoo stopped in his tracks, lifted Krystal a bit higher and turned his face sideways. Kissing the flustered girl a few more times, more passionately every time, he smirked at her closed eyelids and totally lipstick-free lips. Kissing Krystal gently for the last time, he stopped by the school’s gates and messaged Sulli from the now-sleeping girl’s phone.

 

*