Expectations

Bad Student

 

December 26th

The next morning was a hell of a hard day for the Jung family. The unexpectedly large party made the whole house to look like a huge trash bin. The oldest Jung sibling didn’t even help the three youngsters as he was too hangover to get out of the bed. And from Krystal’s experience, she knew he felt like .

“No more bags left,” Sulli announced as she tied the last trash bag.

Jungkook took the trash from the older girl’s hold. “It’s alright; the house looks clean now.”

“We should buy more bags until the next party,” Krystal announced herself, having cleaned the kitchen that was surprisingly messy.

Sulli narrowed her eyes, “What party?”

Krystal smirked deviously, “New Year’s Eve, of course.”

“Jae will be out that evening, but he permitted us to have a party on our own here,” Jungkook explained.

“It’s just a small gathering, though,” Krystal quickly added, “I should ask a few girls to sleep over and Kookie’s friends will come again.”

“But you have no friends beside me.”

Krystal stopped to think about her friend’s remark. “True that.”

“Either way, we have permission from Jae. But we agreed on no alcohol,” Jungkook reprimanded.

Sulli raised an eyebrow, “It’s the first time you have an opportunity to do a party with no supervision. Seriously, no booze?”

“Depends with who’ll come over. As you can tell,” Krystal signed, “Only Kookie’s friends will be with us. I seriously should step up my socialization game.”

Sulli felt her phone vibrating. “Huh? Jay Park messaged me.”

Krystal continued on with her thoughts, clearly ignoring her friend’s unexpected message receive. “Besides, no serious party for us as Jungkook can’t drink, neither could I after the last experience.”

“But I have drank already,” Jungkook said, his expression laid-back as if what he just announced was totally normal.

The year-older sister didn’t think so. “You little!” she grabbed his ear in a swift motion, pulling it down, almost tearing it away from the poor boy’s head. Oh, he got taller; she noted the gaping difference in height between the two. She hadn’t really noticed it before.

Using her distraction as an opportunity, Jungkook freed his red ear and winced by Sulli’s side. “What’s the deal with you?!”

“There will definitely be some alcohol involved in the party,” Sulli grinned slyly.

The Jung siblings chorused, “How come you seem so sure?”

“The popular gang is coming over on the New Year’s.”

“Wait what?” Krystal gasped in surprise. Did she hear that right?

Jungkook also seemed interested in the unheard mention, “Who are you talking about?”

Sulli loudly read the message from Jay Park: “Hey, Sulli, how come Krystal isn’t responding to the group chat? Minho added her to the group on Facebook, we wanted to know what should we buy for the upcoming party. Tell her to respond to the many messages that she got from Minho, Suzy, Jiyeon, Jackson and so on.”

“I’m pretty sure they couldn’t know about the party if even I only heard about it just now.”

Jungkook raked his head for a possible explanation, “That Jay Park guy- he was the one with the tattoos at the Christmas’ party, right?”

The girls nodded. “I think I mentioned the next party to him. He seemed really impressed with the last one.”

Krystal finally broke her silence. “But the popular group? And now I’m added to their chat? What sorcery is this?”

“So who exactly are you talking about?”

This was the time all Krystal’s observations on the well-known students served its purpose.

“Oh, no biggie, they are just the most popular and extraordinary students in our school. There’s this group of totally awesome people that just decided to come over to my party. No biggie.”

With her cue to go on, she let her knowledge fill the two listeners’ ears.

“First, let’s start with Minho. The total ace of the football field. Not to mention his breath-taking looks and killer smile. He was pursued by various modeling companies on many occasions, yet his passion for sports was too important for him to start modeling. The girls at our school have no complains, whatsoever, as we get to see him every day after school on the field.

Next, onto Suzy. You would fall in love with the girl at first sight, Jungkook. A true goddess. Rumored to be in a relationship with a famous actor Lee Minho. A true sweetheart, as if great appearance wasn’t enough.

Other popular girls are Nana, a girl with legs so long it could go on forever and Jiyeon, the cheerleading team’s captain with captivating eyes. Seolhyun and Tzuyu, the new additions to the crew and rightfully popular with their respective beauty and charms.

Besides Minho and the girls, the group also consists of boys such as the ongoing and hilarious fencing prodigy Jackson, dancing machine Kai, who also won lots of awards in competitions, and juniors Vernon and Doyoung.

So overall, please tell me I’m not dreaming that the group decided to come to our party.”

“So I believe neither of you two know them personally,” Jungkook eyed both girls with skepticism evident in his eyes.

“Just Jay Park, as we share some lessons. He is an underground rapper just like Vernon, and that makes him quite qualified to be in the group.”

“It doesn’t sound like the group is full of very nice people,” Jungkook shared his thoughts on the matter. “Qualifications to be in the group? What the hell are you talking about. Are they friends or not really?”

Krystal had an answer for it, too. “They are friends. Some of them closer than others, but most of them seem like nice people, not snobby like at all, though I have no experience to back up my thoughts.”

“You also forgot one other really important popular guy,” Sulli grinned as the other female’s eyes flared up with dislike.

“Myungsoo. He’s the only one I really don’t think that well of. He’s not really used to hanging out with the gang, so I doubt he would dare coming here.”

The girl’s brother thought he heard this name before. “Myungsoo? Haven’t I heard this name before?”

Krystal recalled the small encounter the two had few weeks ago, “He’s the one from the basketball match in our school. You know, the cold face with blond hair.”

“That ?”

“Exactly.”

“So what are you going to do about the party?” Sulli diverted the topic.

The shorter girl replied, “First I have to grab my phone and read what they have messaged me. I still can’t believe this is really happening.”

 

*

 

On the other side of the town, one particular guy felt like . Not really because he couldn’t close his eyes the whole night, but because of why he couldn’t sleep. His best friend’s ongoing messages didn’t really make him feel any better, either.

Mark was in denial of what really happened the night before. Him and Krystal. The teacher and the student. The forbidden thing for anyone in his position. He tried to console himself that he was just a temporary teacher until the high school would eventually find another, permanent one, but he’ll have to teach the teenage girl until her graduation. The girl that he so passionately kissed last evening.

“Ugh!” he felt guilt rushing him. Not really the guilt for what he did, but that he enjoyed every moment of it. His little teasing of the naïve girl has come to an unexpected place, the end. He shouldn’t have done anything provoking in the first place. Yeah, sure, she caught his attention right from the start, but he constantly has to reprimand himself that he’s her teacher. And it has become somewhat hard for him to keep his distance. Krystal Jung just has something so attracting to her. It’s only his fault rumors already have spread through the students.

“No, no, Mark, think straight,” he started speaking to himself out of sleep deprivation, “She’s your student. Nothing more, nothing less.”

It was probably about time he started seeing someone. Maybe that one girl from his university that seemed getting flirty with him would be a good starting option.

 

*

 

“You cleaned the place well,” Jaejoong sipped his tea. “Do not trash the house as much on the New Year’s eve, alright?”

Krystal avoided eye contact, “How could we? It will only be me, Sulli, Kookie and his friends. Maybe some other girls.”

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes at his youngest sibling who was sitting quietly on the left, then returned his gaze on his sister. “How come I don’t feel that trustful of you two little devils? You have all my trust on this matter, do not throw it away.”

Krystal composed herself and looked Jaejoong straight in the eyes. “You have my word.”

If Sulli hadn’t left by then, she would have given her a few thoughts against the upcoming party, but since the girl wasn’t present, Krystal returned to her room and opened the buzzing group chat. If the party goes well, she would be in. Her whole reputation might depend on that eventful night. She should not let anything interfere with making the greatest party this town has ever seen.

Though Jungkook was a bit skeptical about spending the night with people neither he nor his sister really knew of, he wasn’t against the idea of doing a party. More people, more fun, right? This time the teenagers will be able to let themselves go, with no adult to watch their every move. Jungkook didn’t feel good about lying to his brother (keeping silent about it, more accurately), yet he still couldn’t possibly destroy the first chance he and his childish sister got a chance to feel free. The party is happening, and the two Jung siblings have a lot of thinking to do.

Krystal locked her room’s door and the music. The group chat was quickly being filled by various ideas by people had no contact with until now. She also had to report to Sulli about what was happening with the gang, which was getting quite distracting. Tired of messaging Sulli so frequently, Krystal opted to simply call her friend and put it on the speaker.

“…And then Jay Park started telling everyone how fun the party was, but mentioned that the music wasn’t quite well chosen. He also suggested taking care of the playlist.”

“That means one less problem to worry about. Have you told them it’s the first party you’re doing by yourself?”

“Well, technically, you and Jungkook are helping, but yes, I mentioned it since I felt that Jay was getting their expectations too high.”

Sulli squealed on the other side of the phone, “Ah, I’m so exited! I never really liked Jay, but he did good this time. Tell me everything that they are writing!”

“Well, Suzy just asked me whether there will be any adults around.”

“Tell them no!”

Krystal smirked, “I just did. Though it’s awkward chatting with them, since we haven’t spoken to each other before.”

“Oh, how-“

“Wait, wait, Minho and Myungsoo just joined the chat! The whole group is keeping up with the chat right now. Though it’s just basically me responding to Suzy and Jay asking questions.”

Myungsoo: So are you guys really going to this party?

“Huh?” Krystal fueled her friend’s interest when she started quietly reading the chat.

Minho: Yeah, Jay said it was fun when he went yesterday. Why? Do you have any other ideas?

Myungsoo: Well, not really.

Suzy: So then let’s help Krystal to throw an awesome party everyone ^^

Jay: I already started adding music to the party playlist. Krystal, what do you plan to do about booze?

“Sulli, they asked me about booze. What do I write? Uh, they’re waiting.”

Myungsoo: So troublesome. She probably has no idea about drinks.

Krystal loudly reread the message. The nerve of that guy! He knew she was a true newbie in that aspect.

Krystal: I’m open for ideas. What do you guys like to drink?

“Nicely dodged that bullet,” Sulli praised her friend.

Jiyeon: Drinks aren’t that cheap. The guests should take care of it. By the way, who else is coming?

Krystal: Some boys from another school, they are my brother’s friends. I haven’t had a chance to really invite anyone yet.

Jiyeon: Oh.

Sulli shouted at her phone, “Say something! She probably thinks the party is going to be lame!”

Krystal: I was thinking that if you are planning to come, maybe I should invite some of the students? Maybe the cheerleading squad, or even some guys from a college that I know?

Actually, Krystal didn’t really know anyone older than her. Only those that appeared in the party last time. But those guys would be with Jaejoong, so she immediately regretted her words.

Kai: Let’s stick with high school students.

Krystal felt relief wash over her. But not for long.

Myungsoo: I already messaged my other friends. You know, Sungjong, Hoya and the others. They will come with their girlfriends and lots of booze.

“. The guys that I drank with are coming.”

“What will be interesting,” Sulli chuckled.

Jiyeon: Then I will spread the word to my team.

Tzuyu: I can talk with my classmates. The girls are really nice, I think they would be a great addition to the party.

Kai: Okay, you invite them. My dance team is also coming. Minho, are you inviting anyone? Nana, Doyoung, Vernon, what about you? Do not be just silent readers.

Minho: As a captain of the football club, I should probably invite those guys. Recently we had lots of football matches and they seemed troubled by it. They need something to blow of their steam.

Myungsoo: So what, I’m the leader of the basketball team, but those guys are plain idiots. Do not dare to invite them. Also, the last match was against Krystal’s brother and his friends, so let’s just avoid any possible conflicts.

Krystal: I’m surprised how mature you sound.

Myungsoo: what is that supposed to mean?!

Jackson: Hey guys, I’ve just returned home. What did I miss?

Vernon: I feel some tension between Krystal and Myungsoo :D I know few girls that aren’t from our school, they are really friendly, so could I invite them too?

Krystal: Sure thing. Just update me frequently about how many people are coming.

Jackson: Seriously guys, can you imagine how many messages I have to go through?! Oh and hey, nice to meet you Krystal. Well, sorta meet. You get what I mean to say, right?

Doyoung: I also know some cool guys from the school’s band. Taeil and the others. I’ve already messaged them. They seem keen on the idea.

Krystal: Nice to meet you two, Jackson.

Nana: We call him WangKong.

Suzy: It has been a while since this group has come together. I’m getting sooo exited!

“Jeez, they sure like writing a lot,” Sulli rolled her eyes, lying down on her bed. “I’m going to sleep now; you’ll have to give me an update tomorrow. Good night.”

“Alright, talk to you tomorrow. Bye.”

 

*

 

December 31st

 

Jaejoong threw his bag inside the car. “If anything happens, call me, alright?”

“Sure, sure,” Krystal practically pushed her older sibling inside the vehicle. “See you next year.”

“Bye,” Jungkook also bid his brother goodbye, masking his excitement as much as he could.

Just as the car turned a corner, the two siblings dashed inside the house and started the preparations. This time around, they not only had to take all the extra furniture upstairs, but also to hid anything that could break, practically bringing every little thing to the attic. Their huge house was empty as a new one when the first guests arrived.

By the looks of it, the party is destined to be epic.