Fin.

Moonlight

The glow that emanates from the moonlight slips through the crevices of the thin white see-through material of the curtain. It’s a loud night, the sound of the horrendous thunder reverberates through the blue airplane wallpaper that cover the walls of his room and echoes relentlessly through his mind.

A six year old Baekhyun is hiding by the corner of his room with his bruised knees folded against his chest and his hands over his head while his eyes are tightly shut, trying so hard to block out the shrill noise that jolts him with every rumble. His cries are left unheard for they are swallowed by the loud thunderstorm.

“Mommy…” the crouching boy quietly chants to himself, but it’s a lost cause because no matter how many times he constantly calls and reaches out for her, she will not come to soothe his minute cries because he’s already lost her to Heaven a few weeks back. He tries to picture her face to soothe himself, but no matter how hard he tries, he can’t bury himself deep inside the warped version of fantasy created by his brain to forget about the harsh sounds created by the bloodcurdling lightning.

His grubby hands are now placed over his ears to block out the sounds, but the deafening roar still penetrates through the slit between his fingers and travels from his ears to the deepest depths of his brain.

All he can hear are the piercing growls of the sky.

He can hear his unmistakably loud cries, and he tries to stop it, but he ends up hyperventilating instead, trying his very best to catch his running breath.

He can feel his heart pounding, it’s as if it was trying to beat its way out of his chest.

Everything starts to become too much for the poor young boy.

Then suddenly, it’s all calm. The noise around him whizzes, and the only thing he can hear is his own heart beating and his ragged breathing. Baekhyun peeks one tear stained eye open and peeks through the space between his fingers. He slowly removes his hand from his face when he sees a girl. She looks about his age, but the crouching boy can’t really distinguish anything clearly on this dark stormy night due to the constant fear and impending paranoia. He’s still trying to gather the messed up puzzle pieces of his brain and put them back together.

When he looks again, he confirms that she’s as young as him, with jet black hair and almost alabaster colored skin. Her eyes are wide and golden, her nose is slightly round, at the tip –reminding him of a button- and her cupid’s bow is perfectly shaped. She looks perfect.

Maybe a little too perfect to be even called human.

Baekhyun raises a finger without thinking, and ghosts a hand over her eyes that seem to be glimmering. It’s enchanting, her eyes. They’re literally sparkling, and the once crying boy scoots over until they’re face to face because he swears he can see an ocean of stars dancing in her eyes.

The girl, unfazed by the close contact, raises a hand to pat his bowl cut hair and softly whispers, “don’t be afraid.”

The boy with the mushroom-shaped haircut finds himself immediately nodding to her words, he’s too entranced by her beauty that he forgets the anxiety he felt earlier. She gives him a heart-stopping smile, and for a minute there, everything seems to pause for him.

He blinks once, and he sees a blinding streak of white tauntingly flash across the dark sky through his peripheral vision. He waits for the fear to get to him, but strangely it doesn’t. It never comes and he realizes that the haunting weather doesn’t scare him anymore.

He blinks a second time and feels a light tender touch on him. Baekhyun stays there stupidly, frozen to the spot, and keeps his eyes trained on the wall in front of him. He sees their shadows there and the silhouette of the winged girl embracing him.

Wait… winged?

He pulls back to take a good look at her and only then sees her fluttering wings.

Baekhyun blinks one more time –out of confusion and hopefulness- thinking he’s seen something wrong, but the next thing he sees is her existence glittering before she dissipates and vanishes like mist.