Chapter 1

Welcome Back, Kotter

Welcome Back, Kotter

 (Jasmine)        (Baekhyun)

Los Angeles, California, 1978

 

I walked into the classroom right before the bell rang. I sat in my desk quietly and took out my notebook for class. I overheard Baekhyun and Taeyeon talking in korean. I rolled my eyes as I turned around and saw her gently put her hand on his shoulder as she laughed at his joke. I knew she was over exaggerating her movements because she knew I was looking at them. Her eyes met mine as she smirked at me. I turned back around and sunk low in my chair.

 

"Today class, we will be learning about the Civil Rights Movement.” Mr. Kotter said as he started writing things down on the chalkboard.

 

Angela, the most popular girl in my class, sighed. “Ugh, Mr. Kotter, we already know about the Civil Rights Movement! I mean, I’m black. I know everything there is to know!”

 

Vinnie Barbarino, the 2nd class clown, bursted out laughing. “Yeah, nobody cares about the Civil Rights Movement.”

 

Angela yelled at him. “ Shut up Vinnie! I bet if it wasn’t for the Civil Rights Movement, your parents still would have been in Italy making Pizzas!”

 

I'm pretty sure everyone literally turned their head to Angela and Vinnie. Even though it wasn't official, they totally liked each other.

 

I laid my head on the desk. I actually hated Mr. Kotter's class sometimes, and today was one of those days.

 

I'm pretty sure you guys are dying to know my background, so here it is. I'm currently a junior, and I go to George Washington High.

 

I used to be an honor roll/ principal's list student. But then one day, it all changed. During my sophomore year, my grandma had a and she died. Actually she was in a catatonic state for a little while, and then she died. I was crushed. I felt like someone ripped my heart out and then stomped on it multiple times. So then my grades started slipping. A's then turned to B's. Almost a week after my grandma's funeral, my grandpa died. I felt depressed. I couldn't function and I didn't care about school anymore. B's turned to C's and D's.

 

My parents gave up on me, the school basically gave up me also. So during the last week of school last year, the principal told me that he wouldn't make me do summer school because of my failing grades, but I had to be part of the Sweathogs.If it matters, because I’m sure you’re wondering, the sweathogs are basically like all the kids that have been given up on (Like Delinquents and people with bad grades) all in one class. We stay in the same class for 3 periods, and then we go to our individual electives. So first period is Mr. Kotter, and after first period is over, he leaves the class while we stay and our next teacher comes in. And after second period is over, our next teacher comes in. After third period is over, we all go to the same lunch, and then we all go our separate ways to our electives.

 

We get the name ‘ Sweathogs’ because our room is on the 2nd floor of the school which doesn’t get air conditioning, so usually, everyone is kinda sweaty. Unless he opens a window, which he doesn’t he wants to torture us. Most  people in my class really like Mr. Kotter, like Angela and Vinnie. But then there are people like me who don’t really like him. I’m sure I’m the only one like this. But let me tell you why.

 

The first day I walked into class, I was angry because I found out who was actually in the class and that I didn’t have any friends (Not like I had friends anyways). And he yelled at me because I was chewing gum. Ever Since, I feel like he picks on me by always calling on me during class when he knows I don’t talk much and then he constantly tells me he can’t hear me when I know he can. He also lets people get away with things that he wouldn’t dare let me get away with. I’m pretty sure he hates me, but why, I don’t know. At first, I didn't like the class at all. A majority of the class was loud, rowdy and annoying.

 

"Pshhh! Jasmine.." I heard a voice call from behind me. I slowly turned around, a slight smile creeping up on my face. He didn't even have to say anything to make me smile. "I bought you this present, I hope you like it." He smiled brightly. I gently took it out of his hands. "Thanks."

 

"No problem! You can eat it for lunch, if you want." I slowly opened the box and it was a box of chocolate turtles. My favorite.  I nearly squealed with excitement. "Thank you so much!"

 

He chuckled at my actions. " You're welcome."

 

Then I heard a heavy knocking on my desk. "Turn around, Miss Bellagotti." I slowly turned around. I was face to face with Mr. Kotter. "Put the box of candy under your desk." I did like I was told. "I don't want to see it again for the rest of the class period."

 

I rolled my eyes at him as he returned back to the front of the room. I don't understand why he would stop teaching just to tell me to put my candy away when:

 

  1. I wasn't eating it

     2.   People eat in his damn class all the time.

 

"Since you weren't paying attention, here's a question. Who was the couple to get marriage legalized in 1968?” I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know." I mumbled. "Exactly. You need to be paying attention rather than talking to Mr. Byun." He warned.

 

When he turned around to move back go his desk, I put my head on my desk. "Sorry I got you in trouble..." I heard him whisper. "I know he doesn't really like you anyways.."

 

I lifted my head slightly. "It's okay, and like you said, he doesn't like me anyways. He'll do anything to yell at me."