red.

The Red Rope

Strings. All over, attached to everyone I know; each lead back to me. Some are taught, others are slack, and many aren't attached to anyone at all. They come in all sizes, and colors. I'm the only one who sees them; I don't have friends because of them. 

 
Whenever I'm close to a person, and they start to change and drift away, the line will go limp. Sometimes, they'll come back with a tight string, but it will start to lessen little by little. By then, I snip it, not wanting to be disappointed when they do. 
 
I'm lonely. It's frightening. 
 
But one day, a bright red string with an unusual thickness came straight from my heart. The line wasn't slack, being ready to tighten; it was immediately tight. So, I followed it curiously. 
 
It led me to a handsome boy.
 
He had large ears, a clumsy walk, and a brilliant smile. 
 
He went by Park Chanyeol. 
 
"B-Baekhyun!" He stuttered and tripped over his feet, landing on his bottom. I didn't say anything, and stood there, watching as he scrambled up and dusted himself off. He cleared his throat, "I-I-Hi!" 
 
Slowly, I raised my hand in a daze and waved slightly. His ears turned a fiery red and he smiled. What a wonderful smile. It would brighten a room in an instant; like the sun. 
 
"Baekhyun," he murmured. 
 
I raised my eyes to meet his gentle, soft brown ones, instantly losing myself. They were so wonderful, alluring, and it filled me up with an unfamiliar warmth. 
 
"I... Will you go out with me?"
 
My eyes widened and I started speaking, desperately trying to cut the string -- rope -- that attached my heart to his. It was too strong, and I eventually gave up. With a slight nod, I covered my face and hid my smile. I had never felt such elation. 
 
When I felt a pair of comforting arms wrap around me, I leaned into the hug. It was my castle; my fortress; the walls that kept out the cold. I never wanted to leave. 
 
Days, weeks, years, decades; they all went by and I was still enclosed in Chanyeol's warmth. We loved each other more than life itself. But eventually, all good things must come to an end. 
 
The year 2060, the bright red rope that had tied my to Chanyeol for so many years began to darken, and eventually it turned grey. 
 
Standing in the hospital room, holding his wrinkled, shaky hand, I watched, almost as if I was an onlooker, as he gave me one last kiss and told me wondrous words that made my heart flutter. It was as if time had stopped and we were young yet again. 
 
Tears filling my eyes, I watched as Chanyeol's hand went limp, the rope became grey, and disappeared. Then, there was the familiar sound of the single, ceaseless beep; the heart monitor. 
 
Chanyeol was proclaimed dead. 
 
I couldn't go to his funeral. I loved him too much to watch as his decaying body was lowered into the ground and covered up with dirt. I couldn't put a bouquet of roses and baby's breath -- his most favorite arrangement -- in front of his tombstone. It would be too much for my heart to take. 
 
The following few years, death was always right around the corner; looming over me, ready to take me. At the start, I willed myself to live for Chanyeol, but by his 10th death anniversary, I gave up. 
 
I didn't die in a hospital as he had. No, I was in bed, sleeping. In my dream, death visited, and I went with him peacefully, ready to be reunited with Chanyeol. 
 
He brought me to a field of various flowers, and told me to wait. Moments later, he returned, Chanyeol following behind. He looked as he had when he was in high school. As for me, I looked the same old age I had been, but watched as my skin was renewed and my hair became thick and full. Tears b both of our eyes, we ran to each other and I was once again in my fortress.
 
"Baekhyun, I'll never leave you ever again." Chanyeol whispered and kissed me. 
 
"Please don't," I laughed through tears. 
 
With another kiss, he whispered into my ear, "I love you."
 
I giggled and hugged him back, "Forever."
 
Once again, the bright red rope appeared thicker, and would never disappear again as long as Chanyeol's arms encircled me.