;chapter two

Coming Back to You

I heared my phone ringed, and I immediately picked up the phone. "Hello?"

I could only hear the sound of raindrops. "Who's this?" I asked.

The person over didn't answer but I could hear his breathing. "Hi." he finally spoke.

And I recognized that voice right away. It's Kai.

"Can you open the door, please, Naeun?"

****************************

12 hours before

"Hi, hi!" Bomi waved her hands at us; me, Chanyeol and Chorong. She then sat on our table, took a piece of fries from Chanyeol's plate which make her getting a smack from Chanyeol. "Relax, weirdo. I'm only taking your fries not your ferrari." Bomi said, rolling her eyes.

"So, anything new?" I asked Bomi. Bomi just shrugged, while munching her fries which she just stole from Chanyeol. "Well, if new that you're talking is about boys, well. . .not much, I guess. I just dumped Jinyoung this morning. I mean, I thought I could try and give him a chance but nope. He's just a weirdo. And I don't go out with weirdos."

She then ranted about how Jinyoung's so annoying and blablabla. That's my friend, Bomi. I wasn't even listening to her rants anymore, because she basically dumped boys for the same reason. Either they're annoying, or they're just. . .annoying. I don't get why she can't appreciate what she had. "Nah, why should I appreciate what I don't like? It's just going to make me suffer." that's how she answered when I once brought up the topic.

"Seriously, Bomi. If you're just going to dump them in the end, you should just set me up with them." I said to Bomi.

"Nu-uh, Naeun. You can't." Bomi shook her head. "You're way too good for them. You know who I might recommend you to, though?" her eyes was fixed at someone. "Him." I followed her finger who's pointing at a boy. Kim Jongin. "I mean, a perfect girl like you is supposed to go out with someone like him. And I thought you were childhood friends?"

I scoffed at that statement. I looked towards Kai, trying to give him a small nod. He just stared at me for a while, and walked away without even smiling or anything.

"Childhood friends, my ." I said. "If we are childhood friends, either I should be sitting with him or he sitting with us, right now. Besides, I don't think I would want to date him. He's already perfect with Krystal."

"Correction, he's way too perfect for Krystal. I don't know what he sees in that girl." Chanyeol joined in. Chorong nodded and responsed with, "Nice people always date the wrong person, don't you think?"

I couldn't help but to agree with Chorong. As much as I don't like Kai anymore, I still thought that he's way too perfect for Krystal. I mean, he's funny, handsome, tall, and don't even get me start with his brain. He's always top at his class. Unlike Krystal, who only has the looks. He deserved better than Krystal. But I guess, we accept what we believe we deserve, no?

The bell rang and I said goodbye to them and headed for my next class.

 

5 hours before

 "Okay, class. We're going to have a greenhouse effect project that needs to be done in pair." Mrs. Jung said in the end of the science class. And the pair is going to be chosen by me." I could hear everyone groaned, and some of them even cursed under their breath. I was fine by it because I didn't really have a close friend in my class, so I would end up with anyone. "You can immediately go home and discuss your project with your partner after I call your names." Mrs. Jung continued.

And so, Mrs. Jung announced the pair. Sungjae with Minhyuk, Sehun with Hayoung, Tiffany with Jessica, and so on.

"Son Naeun and Kim Jongin."

What? Say again? Me and Kai? Not in a million years. I'd rather work by myself rather than pairing up with him.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am?" the words just slipped out from my mouth. "Yes, Miss Son. Is there anything wrong?"

"Um, do I really need to pair up with him?" I asked Mrs. Jung. "I mean, if you could change my pair, I would be grateful."

"If you don't want to pair up with him, I'll take your place!" I heard a girl shouted. And soon the class was so loud because they were fighting over Kai when I really wanted to let him go.

"Shush!" Mrs. Jung told them to be quiet. "I'm afraid I can't do that, Miss Son. I need to be fair in this. So I'm not going to make any changes and you need to pair up with Kim Jongin."

The bell soon rang and I furiously packed my bag and went home without even talking about the project as we were supposed to.
 

****************************

Night came with the rain. I was just reading 'Paper Towns', even though I've read it like a hundred times.

"Noona, noona, noona, noona! Stop reading those boring books and get your here! Mom says that you should have your dinner!" my step brother, Jungkook, knocked my door repeatedly.

Ever since my mom remarried, she's bringing an annoying and noisy step brother as a bonus, Jeon Jungkook. Every words coming out from his mouth is a stab for me. Mean, and annoying.

"Shut up and tell Mom that I'll be right down!" I said, almost shouting.

 

I was about to go down heared my phone ringed, and I immediately picked up the phone. "Hello?"

I could only hear the sound of raindrops. "Who's this?" I asked.

The person over didn't answer but I could hear his breathing. "Hi." he finally spoke.

And I recognized that voice right away. It's Kai.

"Can you open the door, please, Naeun?"

I rushed towards the window, parted the curtains, and looked outside. I saw him, Kai, standing in the rain, holding his phone. Our eyes met, and I didn't know if it's just me, but I felt a warmth lingering on my body. He gave me a small smile as he waved his hand while mouthing 'hi'

I went downstairs to open the door for him. "Hi!" he greeted me as soon he saw me right after I opened the door. I froze. I didn't know what to do until Jungkook approached the door. "Why are you taking so long- Oh, hey there~!" my brother smirked when he saw Kai. "Is this your boyfriend?" he wiggled his eyebrows at me. "Why are you making him wait outside? Come on in, bro!"

And just like that, Kai was already at my house."Kai, it's been a long time since I last saw you." Mom bear hugged Kai as soon she saw him. Well, true, he was my mom's favorite, but she should've known better that we haven't talked since forever.

"Mom, please." I rolled my eyes when she started stuffing him with questions.

"So, you're not Naeun's boyfie?" Jungkook asked Kai. "Well, sorry for ruining your happiness, but unfortunately, no, I am not her boyfie."

I nodded at his statement. "Yep, throw that idea away because he's Krystal's." I said, which was interrupted by him with, "was. I was Krystal's." I looked at Kai in disbelief. I just saw him kissed with Krystal that afternoon, and now he's saying that they're done.

There was silence for a moment, but then Kai broke it off, "Mrs. Son, can I stay here for the night? I mean, I would love to go home, but I suppose the last bus has already gone and it would be too bothersome if you ride me home."

My Mom squealed at his question, "Yes, of course! It's been a long time since you sleep over at this house. Please, make yourself at home." Mom then turned to me, "What are you doing? Hurry and find him some warm clothes to wear. He's freezing to death."

 

 

"You're not going to ask why I came?" he asked while motioning me to turn around because he's going to change.

"Well, I believe that you'll open your mouth without me even asking." I said, turning around, waiting for him to get change. "So, you're done with Krystal?" I asked, slightly turning around to check if he's done.

"Yep, we're done." he nodded. I don't know if it was written clearly on my face but he then continued as if he knew what I was thinking. "Why? Well, you know she might or might not cheat on me. I don't know, I mean. Yeah, she clearly was making out with someone else, but then I wasn't really surprised because I kinda expected that we wouldn't last, you know what I mean?" he chuckled.

Duh, of course it's not surprising. What's surprising is how you've come this far, I thought "Well, I can understand that, but what I'm really asking is, why here? why me? I mean, I'm sure you have friends who's a better listener than me." I said.

He just scoffed, shaking his head as he sat on the side of my bed. "Well, I think even you as an outsider know how they're acting. Breaking up with Krystal is like declaring a war with all of them." We both laughed at that true statement. I could imagine how the second Kai broke up with Krystal, the others started to badmouthed him. And how right at that moment, he's no longer part of them.

"So. . .the last option was me?" I asked. He clicked his tounge, looking disappointed. "Why would you be the last option? As someone who was once your bestfriend, I am deeply wounded." he playfully placed his hand on his chest. "Of course you're my first option. Well, after Sehun, of course. It's a pity that he's currently away."

I jokingly hit him with pillow which made him laugh. Well, sure, though, he would come to Sehun if he wasn't away. I mean, when Kai's not around with Krystal and the gang, he would always hang out with Sehun.

 

I led him to the living room. Mom said he could sleep on the sofa. "Sure you're okay sleeping on the sofa? I mean, I can just sleep with Mom and you can use my room, you know." I said as I passed him a blanket.

"That's okay. I'm already grateful to be allowed to stay here for the night." he threw himself on the sofa and put his arms under his head.

"Good night." he said, closing his eyes.

"Good night."I was already on my way upstairs when I heard him saying, "Thanks. . .Friend."

Those two years we spent, pretending not to know each other, me hating him and not wanting to see him anymore, is ruined by merely a break up. His break up, moreover. And I hate it more when I think that I'm giving in so easily.

Altough so, I guess deep down I knew that I was liking it more than I hated it.
 


A/N. Hi! An update after one week! I know this chapter might be boring but I hope you all will still expecting for my next chapter! And I'm really sad about how I won't be able to update for like the next two weeks because apparently, I'm going to have my final exam on Monday for one week and some other tests on the next week, so, mabe this is the last time I'll using my laptop before the exam starts. But I'll try to update when I have the time, so. . .until next time!< 3
p.s. thank you for all who's showing much love i love you all< 3 you guys are the reason I'm excited on making this story< 3