;chapter one

Coming Back to You

Winter, 2003

"Naeun, wait up!" I heard my name being called by a six years old boy who happened to be my bestfriend. Kim Jongin, who claims himself to be Kai. I expressed my anger with stomping my feet and ignoring him.

"Why are you mad?" Kai grabbed my hand when he was able to catch up. I could see that he was out of breath after trying to catch up with me. He then shook my shoulder because I didn't give him an answer.

"Yah~ Son Naeun! Why are you mad?" he asked in a cute tone. I was about to give in, because if there's anything that I can't resist, Kai's cuteness it is. But I had my cool, so I just said, still with a frown painted on my face, "You left me to play with Sehun today."

"And you're mad because...?" he asked, senselessly. He was so senseless I could rip his souls out of him there, right at that time. I just rolled my eyes as the answer and walked away. But he quickly grabbed me. "Okay, okay, Naeun! I was kidding. But what's the big deal? It was just Sehun. And besides, I play with you all the time that my friends are saying that I might like you."

That's it. I turned to face him with tears filled in my eyes. " So...so...you-" I couldn't finish my line because I was sobbing. And it soon turned to be a wail when Kai went to hug me all of a sudden, with his little arms and shoulders which he let me rest my head there. Even though he's small, but I'd say that his hug was pretty much like my father's. Warm and comforting.

"Shush" he whispered as he patted my back. His voice melted my anger away and was very comforting. "I'm not saying I hate you. In fact, you're my bestfriend. And as your bestfriend, I'll never leave you alone. Even if I do, I'll always come find you again."

I took that as a promise and I'll always remember that promise until I die.

 

Summer, 2008

I cried in a corner where nobody would find me. My body was swollen and full of rashes which people were talking about. I hated Sehun who gave me that peanut bread. I also hated myself who didn't check first. How can I be so stupid?

"Naeun!" Kai called my name. I ignored him and just continued crying. Either I wanted him to be found, or I just didn't care about him.

"Here you are!" I looked up to see Kai who's smiling at me with his sweats dripping after running around to find me. And I saw Sehun was also standing besides him. "What is he doing here?" I asked coldly while pointing my finger towards Sehun.

"What do you mean, what's he doing here? Of course he came to say sorry." Kai said before he squeezed Sehun with his arms. "Right, Sehun?"

I looked at Sehun who's frozen for awhile. But then, he gave me a nod and extended his hand. "I'm sorry, Naeun. I didn't know that you were allergic to peanut." he said with his face hidden. Altough coldly, I shook his hand as a sign of forgiveness.

"Now, that's what I mean. Friends shouldn't fight. And who says that you're ugly, Naeun? Well, sure you were ugly when you're crying. But it's not because of those rashes." he said that I replied with a smack. "Thank you, Jongin. It is very comforting."

Even though that wasn't how I expected him to comfort me, he did make me feel better. And he didn't know how grateful I am to have such friend like him.

 

Fall, 2013

"The little boy is no longer available. Please welcome a grown up and brand new Kai!" Kai proudly said that in front of me.

"Speak in English, please?" I said sarcastically.

"I'm saying that I have a girlfriend now, stupid." he said, showing me his biggest grin. "Her name's Krystal, and she's just so perfect."

Dot. Dot. Dot. I was trying to understand what he's saying. Did I hear it wrong? Or maybe he's the one who's wrong? But if I wasn't wrong, it felt like i was being stabbed. I was betrayed. I mean, he said that he wouldn't leave me. But why was he with that Krystal girl. It was unfair.

I convinced myself that I was acting like that, only, because I'm his bestfriend.

Or so I thought,
 

 

************************************


2014

We didn't fight, we didn't do anything, but why are we not talking at all right now?

I mean, it just naturally turns out like this. Kai went out with Krystal, and Krystal was like, "Why are you so close with girls other than me?", so I tried to understand his position.

But I guess he misused my understanding. It's like, because I tried to understand him, that I made a line between us. And the worst part is, that we didn't do anything about it. In fact, we get used to it. Now I'm not even sure if he recognizes me.

I still clearly remember his words, "I'll never leave you."

Well, screw him and his bull. Look at us now. We barely even talk to each other if it's not because we're classmates. He's like the popular guy who goes out with the popular girl, and I'm just an average girl who hangs out with average friends living an average life,

But, anyway, it's not like I'm doomed without him. Like I said, I'm just an average girl who hangs out with average friends. And these 'average friends' of mine are the ones who are keeping me happy.

There's Bomi, who's shy yet sweet for boys. I repeat, FOR BOYS. Inside, she's actually a sly fox who flirts with dozens of men and is still loved by those idiots.

And there's also Chanyeol and Chorong. They're siblings. They quarrel. A LOT. About unimportant things, moreover. But I guess that's what making them close, surprisingly.

God, they are loud people. I don't know why I can stand them.

But hey, don't get me wrong. Though it sound like I'm making fun out of them, I actually adore them very much. I mean, at least they're not fake. Unlike those friends of Kai's. Oops.

So yeah, I'm totally fine without Kim Jongin. And I promise you, that you won't ever see me with him, ever, again.

.

That's what I thought.

 

*********************************************************

 

March 21, 2014.

I hear my phone rings, and I immediately pick up the phone. "Hello?"

I can only hear the sound of raindrops. "Who's this?" I asked.

The person over doesn't answer but I can hear his breathing. "Hi." he finally speaks.

And I recognize that voice right away. It's Kai.

"Can you open the door, please, Naeun?"

 


A/N. Hello, people! I'm back with a new fic. I didn't finish my previous fics but I am trying to promise you, that I'll finish this one, ehe. Anyway, there might be some grammar errors and stuffs so, I'm sorry<3 And I hope you'll enjoy it<3 xoxo. i tharang you all<3