Chapter 1 - First Meeting

Our Pre-Debut Love Story (EXO)

September 2008...

"Good morning boys and girls! Welcome back! I hope you guys had a wonderful rest during the Chuseok break!" Teacher Sojin said ethusiastically as she clasped her hands happily in front of her chest. "I hope you guys had done some conditionings too while you were on break and eating all the unhealthy food and snacks!"

Kim Solji was a teacher and a dance instructor. She had been teaching in SM Entertainment for almost five years now. Previously, she was nothing but mere small backup dancer for various celebrities until her saviour and hero, Lee Sooman, founder of SM took notice in her when she was dancing part time for Boa while scrapping through her university education. She had been working full time for him ever since she graduated, helping to train his future artists and investment.

He had once asked her, if she was interested to become a celebrity herself. However, she had politely declined his offer because she did not want to suffer the sacrifices that came with it - losing her privacy and working under intense pressure. She preferred her current career and she was proud to say that she had not regretted her decision even for a single second.

Sometimes, she felt herself pitying her classes of little dancers who were training to become celebrities in the future. She knew that they would have a bright future ahead of them because they were under one of the best agencies but she could not forget the fact that the Entertainment industry was a ruthless and cruel one. She did not like the fact that so many companies were willing to pick up random but beautiful children off the road and then throwing them aside when they realized that these children had no talents to nurture with.

"Before we begin our lessons proper today, I have an announcement to make. Now, I want everyone to drop your stuff at the corners of the room and gather in front of me." She instructed her class of middle school trainees. This class of trainees were all born between 1992 to 1994, aged between 14 to 16.

The Korean culture placed great emphasis on age and hierarchy. In SM, it was no different. Every trainees were placed in the same class with people close to their age, be it for dance or for singing or for acting. The optimal age for debut in SM was 20 because these trainees would no longer be considered minors in the legal eyes of the Korean law. They would not be placed under great restriction as to the number of hours that SM can put them to work.

Therefore, for trainees above the age of 20, they would be in 'Senior Class A'. For trainees aged between 18 to 20, they would be in 'Class A' and for trainees between 16 to 18, they would be in 'Junior Class A'.  As for the class that Solji was in-charge of, it was titled as 'Senior Class B'.

"Yes, seonsaengnim!" Kim Jongin, one of her best students in Senior Class B, said. He was always quick to respond to her instructions and could easily pick up the choreography that she taught. She knew that he was extremely talented and would be successful in the future, especially in the area of dance.

Jongin was also a close friend and brother of Lee Taemin, who had recently debuted as part of SM new boyband, SHINEE earlier in May.

Solji could tell that Jongin had been extremely lonely ever since his best friend departed from the class to join SM's list of notable artists. He had become a little less enthusiastic than usual. Solji was not sure if he had been keeping in contact with Taemin, but she figured that Taemin would probably be too busy now to keep him accompanied as well.

"Today, three new members will be joining us. Please take good care of them!" Solji announced as she gestured the new trainees into the room. "New trainees, please introduce yourself to the class."

"He-hello." The older boy said shyly. He was the tallest of the three new members. "My name is Park Chanyeol and I am 16 years old this year."

"Hi. I am Oh Sehun. I am 14 years old." The second boy said, his introduction was short and precise.

"Hello! Uh. My name is Amber Liu." The last trainee said, her Korean was mixed with a heavy American accent. Initially, when Solji first saw her, she could not tell whether she was a girl or a boy. Her face had a pretty feature but her hair made her look like a young boy. "I can't speak Korean well. I am from America. And, uh. I am 16 years old."

Jung Soojung, otherwise known as SNSD's Jessica's little sister, shot up her hand and spoke in fluent English, "unnie! You can ask me if you have any question. I will be your translator from now on!" Smiling as she volunteered. Soojung was excited to finally meet someone who was not from Korea. She had missed speaking English dearly, especially after her sister left home to debut and to stay in the same dormitory with her fellow members.

Amber was pleasantly surprised by her friendliness. She smiled and mouthed "thank you" to Soojung.

Kim Yejin turned to her best friend and dongsaeng, Kang Seulgi, who was seated next to her and whispered, "they all looked so dorky. I bet you 10,000 won that they won't last more than two months here because they obviously don't belong here."

"No unnie! I don't want to bet with you! Because I am on your side too." Seulgi smirked as she looked at her role model. Even since Seulgi entered SM in 2007, Yejin had been taking care of her like a big sister. When Seulgi was lost and confused about herself, Yejin stood up for her and guide her through. Yejin was only a year older than she was and had entered SM in 2003.

"All right, you kids can get to know each other and bond with each other over your breaks and lunch time." Solji's voice boomed over the rest of them. "Let's not waste any more time, shall we? Up you go! Position now!"

-----

Additional Background Information 

Senior Class B Trainees: (by age)
1992 - Amber Liu, Park Chanyeol
1993 - Kim Yejin, Gong Seungyeon, Park Sunyoung
1994 - Kim Jongin, Oh Sehun, Kang Seulgi, Choi Jinri, Jung Soojung

-----

I would really love to read some comments - positive or negative :) <3

Subscriptions and upvotes are welcomed too!