Chapter 8 - Xmas with Junmyeon

Our Pre-Debut Love Story (EXO)
December 2008
Yejin took small careful steps as she walked along the icy snowy path next to the famous Dumulmeori lake in Yangpyeong. Yejin held her breath as she admired the beautiful scenery in front of her. She had been living in Korea for the past 15 years and yet she had never seen anything like this before. She blamed her busy city parents who had sacrificed most of their family time for their career.
 
I should have worn a better pair of shoes. Yejin cursed silently under her breath. She was wearing her best pair of heels that were entirely unsuitable for the weather. I should hav-
 
"Ahhhhhhh!" Yejin yelped as she slipped and nearly fell flat on her face. Just like a normal fairytale, her prince charming, Junmyeon caught her in his arms before a disaster could happen.
 
"Are you okay?" Junmyeon asked worriedly. "Do you want to go back now? You looked really uncomfortable walking here. We can head back now."
 
"No no, oppa." Yejin shook her head furiously as she clung tightly against him. "I am fine. This place is too beautiful to leave right now. Let's walk a little bit more."
 
"Okay." Junmyeon smiled as he held out his hands. "Hold my arm then. I will protect you."
 
Yejin turned bright red as she held on to his arms. Just like that, they walked silently next to each other, enjoying the scenery and each other's company.
 
Junmyeon had invited her over to his parents' hometown a week ago to celebrate Christmas together after she told him that her parents would be out of town for yet another business trip.
 
"It would be fun!" He had told her. "My mum cooks really delicious meal for Christmas. She would be elated to have a guest over."
 
And that was how she ended up in Yangpyeong with her crush.
 
"You are so so so lucky. If only my crush would notice me like this too." Seungyeon gasped when Yejin told her about her Christmas plans.
 
Seungyeon had a crush on Henry, an amazingly talented Canadian-Chinese trainee, who had recently came to Korea to receive trainings. Seungyeon, being Seungyeon, immediately befriended Henry, who had unfortunately bro-zoned her and saw her as nothing more than a dongsaeng thanks to her carefree personality.
 
"I can help you with that if you want." Yejin suggested. She hated to see herself being happy when her close friends were not.
 
"Forget it. He call me a 'gollum'. A freaking 'gollum'. He probably thinks that I am a freak." Seungyeon complained.
 
"Are you cold?" Junmyeon asked suddenly, bringing her back to reality. But before she could reply, Junmyeon took off his down jacket and placed it over her shoulders. Yejin shivered as the sudden warm engulfed her contrasting cold body.
 
"Thank you, oppa."
 
"Feeling better?"
 
Yejin nodded.
 
Is this love? Yejin giggled inwardly, feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Are we dating? But he hasn't said anything about this being a date right? Should I ask him?
 
No. Yejin decided to let go of her curiosity and enjoy the moment while it lasted. It wasn't the time to be a demanding girl. Despite having no or limited dating experience, Yejin understood the rules of dating perfectly after reading many romantic novels her entire life.
 
The two innocent lovebirds found a wooden swing in the middle of the park and decided to take a break from the endless walking on the snow.
 
"Yejin-ah..." Junmyeon began. "What is oppa to you?"
 
"Huh?" Yejin looked up at him in confusion, surprised by his question. "Uh- uhm... Oppa..."
 
Junmyeon looked at her expectantly despite her struggles to form a proper sentence. Happiness? Love? Future?
 
"Oppa... Oppa... Oppa is..." She hesitated. "Oppa is Yejin's first love?"
 
Junmyeon broke into a wide grin. "That is exactly what I wanted to hear." Then, he dropped to his knee and held her hand.
He slipped a bracelet onto her tiny wrist and smiled. "Yejin-ah, listen up. This may sound funny but I really really have to tell you this."
 
"Yejin-ah, I think I am in love with you. I like you a lot." Junmyeon confessed. "Will you... will you be my girlfriend?"
 
This isn't real. I must be dreaming. Yejin thought as she stared at him with opened in shock. She then pinched herself on the cheeks.
 
"Oppa, am I dreaming? Are you even real?" She said.
 
Junmyeon laughed. "Of course I am real. And you haven't answered my question, although I won't take a 'no' as an answer."
 
Yejin blushed. "Yes..." She cleared and said more courageously. "Yes! I want to be oppa's girlfriend. I like you, oppa."
 
His smile widened as he bounced to his feet and jumped up and down like a little boy. He pumped his fist into the air.
"Yes! Yes! She said yes!" He shouted.
 
Junmyeon ran across the park towards the edge of the river bank and covered both his hands on the sides of his mouth.
"2009 will be a good year for me, Kim Junmyeon!" He shouted into the air. "I, Kim Junmyeon, will be going into my dream college and will be starting a fresh life with my girlfriend, Kim Yejin! Please look to us fondly and please let 2009 be an awesome year!"
 
Yejin laughed hysterically as she watched the scene unfolded before her. She never knew that he had this cute side of him before. She was more in love than ever.
 
Once done, Junmyeon ran back to her side and clasped her hand in his.
 
"Let's go back to my house. There will be delicious food and sumptuous meal waiting for us. I can't wait to introduce you to my mother!" Junmyeon said eagerly as he led her out of the park towards his grandparents's house.