Chapter 8

Cinderella's revenge -신데렐라의 복수를-

Chapter 8

 

Yu Jin’s eyes widened as he looked at her: “Wait, seriously?” he rather sounded amused, as she turned pale gradually. He tried to take it off too but it just wouldn’t come off.

 

“T-This is so crazy!” she gripped her head “How the heck are we going to take it off!?” she was screaming and freaking out “Ah! It’s your fault for forcing me to try it on!” she bumped with her fists on his arm as he turned to the clerk, and this last along with everyone else present in the shop gaped at the scene.

 

“You’re making a fuss” he whispered “Just relax, it’s not a big deal, if it doesn’t come off then leave it there” he nodded.

 

“Do you even understand the situation we’re in?!”  she was still gripping her head, “How can I walk around with a ring that even I don’t know how many zeros its price had?!” 

 

“Well, too bad, but it’s not like we can chop off your finger to take the ring off now can we?” he laughed.

 

“No! Actually, I don’t mind, cut my finger off, and take back that ring!” she sounded desperate, and he was stunned to her utterance. “If people were to see this, they’d misunderstand!” she shook her head.

 

It looked like a promise ring and he put it on for me and even in my ring finger!

 

“Yeah you’re right, you can’t be dressed like that when you’re wearing that ring, so let’s get you some fitting clothes” he called the assistant and talked to her.

 

“I don’t want to!” she severely nagged, but in vain.

 

I can’t believe I’m really facing this kind of situation, and with him!

 

They went to a different store. And he secretly paid for the ring.

 

“Hey! Why can’t any of my words reach your brain you fool!” She was protesting, while he was picking up dresses that the clerk was carrying for him. He wasn’t paying attention to what she was saying.

 

“Hey! Hey! Are you even listening?!” she was walking behind him to suddenly bump into him since he halted. “Ouch!” she rubbed her forehead. “Ok, you’ll be trying these on” he pointed at her. She looked left and right then at his face and he nodded, making her more shocked than before.

 

“N-No, no, you must be kidding me!” she was shaking her head repeatedly as he pushed her by the shoulders toward the fitting rooms. “I-I don’t know even how to put them on!” she was desperately looking for an excuse. “You have to know, either that or I’ll personally help you” he scoffed, the clerk blushed but Era already snatched away a dress and ran to one of the rooms yelling: “No thanks!”

 

He laughed and covered his mouth. Then turned at the clerk: “Um.. sorry to make you carry all of this” she blinked and shook her head “N-No sir, it’s my job!” and she steadied her posture. He went to sit in a sofa while waiting for her, his eyes suddenly caught glimpse of a magazine cover that made his eyes widen.

 

“Huh?” he eyed the cover impatiently and his own picture was on it. “Now what the…?” he harshly leafed through and them gaped when he found what he was looking for, his eyes read: Royal-styled ball for the prince, get ready everyone, he’s looking for a bride. He dropped the magazine to the floor, and instead took out his phone and started to dial a number, he was gritting his teeth and mumbled: “The hell they’re saying!”

 

Meanwhile, Era tried on a strapless red dress and she hugged herself as she looked at her reflection on the mirror.

 

“Now I can’t go out wearing this…” she felt embarrassed, not only because the dress was a bit showing but also because of the scars and filth that covered her body and stained the image. So she took it off before leaving the fitting area and put back on her own clothes. She wiped away her tears and tried to shake off the idea that kept lingering in her mind: You will never fit into this kind of attires, just face it.

 

However, she didn’t see Yu Jin. “Weird, where did he go?!” she looked around but then the clerk came rushing at her with a wide grin and said: “Oh, miss, why aren’t you putting on the dress?”. But Jang Mi quickly handed it to her and lowered her head. “Sorry… I didn’t want to ruin it and all” her voice trailed.

 

“Then we’ll wrap it for you directly.” She folded the dress and strode toward the counter. Jang Mi’s eyes widened. “Huh?!” she strode after the cheerful clerk “Wait!” she blocked her way and said: “W-What do you mean wrap it?! I obviously cannot buy it” she whispered rather in shame. “Hehe, no worries, this dress and the few other ones that Mr. Le- I mean, your friend chose for you will all be given to you as gifts from our shop!” she laughed and went to wrap the dress. Era was speechless as she saw the other bags that were piled up on the counter.

 

“No way!” she finally recovered from the mild shock she just got. “N-No! I can’t accept these!” she kept shaking her palms and head until she started to have a small headache. But the clerk seemed like she wasn’t listening. She gripped her forehead. “That jerk… this is all happening because of him” she lowered her head. “Here!” the girl handed Era the bags.

 

“What part of I can’t take them with me didn’t she get?!” In the end, Jang Mi had the bags all in her hands. “Oh, and Mr. Hwa left this note for you” the clerk showed it to her. Era read it:

 

“You are not allowed to leave these clothes in the shop, their boss will punish these poor workers if they won’t give away at least 20 dresses so you better take them with you!”

 

She blinked and bit her lower lip. “Ah!! If only I could put my hands on him now!”

 

And that’s how she ended up leaving the shop with all the bags. Spotting her stepmother and sisters from afar, she made sure to hide from them.

 

Yes, I’ll just head back first, I need to hide these from them or only Heavens know what will happen to me.

 

*******

 

Yu Jin cursed loudly, as he left his father’s office.

 

“I’m getting sick of his games already…” he punched the wall with his fist. Remembered his early conversation with his father:

 

“You are old enough to get married now, and be thankful that I did not set you up with some rich Heiress without you knowing” the old man pointed with a deep voice as he sat behind his desk.

 

“Without me knowing? Seriously now?” He was very pissed off. “You mean organizing a party as big as that one and telling the whole world except for me about it, is considered as something that I should be grateful about?!” His voice was getting louder.

 

“Hmm..” his father nodded slightly and said “I see that you’re learning how to talk back on me, this is new you know?” Yu Jin’s eyes opened wide as he realized for real that he never talked this impolitely to his old man. He cursed in his mind and averted his gaze away.

 

“Well, anyway… I’ll pretend as if nothing of this happened and precede with the idea of giving you the full choice to pick your bride from the girls who will be attending the ball. You understand?”

 

He clenched his fist, as he pictured the look on his father’s face as he said that to him.

 

Saying that he didn’t set me up with a heiress… when the only ones invited to this party are daughters of his work partners or some highly profiled people… how ironic…

 

Suddenly, he pictured in his mind, amidst all of that anger, the smiling face of Era, that time when she was forcing him to clean. He beamed involuntarily.

 

“Yu Jin… you…” he gasped at himself. “Why did you think of her now?!” he brushed his hair back with his hand as he walked toward his office.

 

Too bad she’s not one of those rich Heiresses…

 

He reached his hand to his pocket, got out the locket.

 

Only if she was really the owner of this pendant… He squeezed his fingers with the locket in them.

 

“Wait, I just remembered!” he got surprised. “How will she take the dresses back home with her? Ah !” he got irritated “How can I forget about the three witches?!”

 

Yes, he was talking to himself in the elevator and thankfully, no one saw that.

 

****************

 

Era was able to make it to the mansion before they did. And quickly rushed upstairs to hide the clothes in her parents’ room, after getting rid of the bags. And when she was taking out the trash, the door of the house opened and she found herself face to face with the 3 women who looked at her with utter anger.

 

“Here you are!” Mrs. Cha exhaled sharply as she stretched her hand and gripped Era’s collar, shaking her harshly to make her drop the two plastic bags she was carrying. “Where have you gone? No, more like, who allowed you to head back before we did? Huh?!” she accusingly questioned.

 

But Era’s nonchalant gaze was unshaken, which added to the woman’s anger.

 

“You’re really something, hah, and you’re not even apologizing!” she shook her once more but Era inhaled deeply then pushed the woman back. Making her gasp, along with the daughters, she dusted her clothes and picked up the rubbish bags then said:

 

“I’m really busy cleaning your rubbish so, get out of my way” her voice was smart, and she had a scary grin on her face that Yoon Yi and her older sister didn’t think twice before moving out of the way.

 

“This is really.. strange” Yoon Yi hid behind her mother.

 

“Yeah, that girl… she’s starting to rebel and this is not something that we should overlook” the mother held her jaw.

 

“From what I’m seeing, I think she’s hiding something from us.” Yoon Song added.

 

Era sighed in relief as she was in the garden, putting the bags in the big plastic can near the gate she looked at the ring in her hand and sighed once more.

 

“It’s a miracle for them not to see it…” she then hid her hand in her pocket as she got called by the gatekeeper Mr. Song.

 

“Oh! Uncle!” she turned to look at him.

 

“Hello Jang Mi, how are you doing?” he smiled. “Um… fine I guess?” she raised a brow because she wasn’t used to be talking to him even though she knew how good of a person he was. “Did Mrs. Cha see the bags you were carrying?” he laughed. “No, thankfully… but it’s a matter of time before she finds out about the dresses I think.” She lowered her head. The kind looking man patted her on the head and smiled: “Well, then make sure to wear them before she does” he said with a meaningful voice.

 

“Ha” she let out a laugh. “Yeah, unless I’ll be wearing them while cleaning the house when they leave” she wanted to keep laughing but couldn’t.

 

“Well… you’ll never know” he uttered, but then his heels and started to walk away.

 

“What do you mean?” she tried to follow him, and wanted to ask him for what he implied but then she heard Mrs. Cha’s voice calling at her.

 

“What a pain” she mumbled before running toward the house.

 

****************

 

Few days later, and as usual, Era had to go shopping for fresh ingredients for food, now starting to wear some fingerless gloves in order to conceal the ring that she was now obliged to wear all the time.

“Seriously, Yoon Yi has to stop eating at night… or else she’ll”

 

“Dear me, I can’t believe this is the 13th dress you try on today and still can’t manage to fasten its zipper!”

Mrs. Cha held her forehead, whining at her daughter who stood in front of the mirror. Shame washing over her face as her older sister kept laughing at her.  “Yeah… I mean really, I bet you’re not following the diet properly you pig” Yoon Song kept mocking her sister. “Shut up! And don’t call me a pig!” she shoved her back, scowling. “H-How dare you push your older sister!” Mrs. Cha’s eyes sprung open as the two girls started to fight.

 

“You’re dead meat!” The older yelled.

“Just you try to touch me!” The other retorted.

 

“STOP! BOTH OF YOU!” The mother stood in between the two, her eyes glaring at them. “Is this how two of the richest and most refined ladies in Seoul should behave? Are you trying to give your mother a heart attack?”

 

The two girls exchanged some glares but then, apologized.

 

“We’re sorry mom” they said at the same time. The mother picked up the magazine that rested on the decorative table. “Now that’s how my daughters should act. After all, don’t forget that you two are the best brides-candidates that Lee Yu Jin can have” she smirked. Earning a loud squeal from the two girls.

 

The doorbell rang, and she went to answer it, leaving the two girls jumping around in joy.

 

*********

 

Jang Mi came back, humming happily and carrying two shopping bags in her hands. But then, as she waited for Mr. Song to open the gate for her, she heard him utter with a troubled voice:

 

“You better hurry Jang Mi! Mrs. Cha is getting rid from your parents’ things!” he yelled.

 

She gaped, dropping the bags as soon as she heard his words, then taking off running toward the house as she saw a truck stopping in front of it.

 

“No!” she yelled, seeing workers moving out the furniture she shook her head. “NO!” she rushed toward them, blocking their ways and shouting: “You can’t!” she couldn’t hold back her tears, because they just kept moving and ignored her. She fell to her knees.

 

Mrs. Cha came toward her and crossed her arms, smiling. “Humph, poor thing” what she said showed nothing but derision and sarcasm. “Now move out the way, these people are paid to do their job fast so don’t be a burden”

 

“You’re a monster!” Jang Mi yelled. “You’re a real monster!” she was picking herself up hardly. And Mrs. Cha had that bored look in her eyes. “Yeah yeah, say whatever you want”

“Um, Ma’am…” one of the workers appeared with a big box in his hands. “Well, you might want to check this out” he said.

 

“What? Didn’t I tell you to take everything out already?” she pointed rather annoyed. “Yes, but… this seemed too precious for us to throw away” He showed her the content of the box, to which Era’s eyes widened. “Hmm?” she hummed in wonder.

 

The man pulled out some really fancy looking dresses. Yoon Song and Yoon Yi who just came out from the house both gasped aloud as they hurried to push him away and start to check out the dresses:

 

“No way!” said Yoon Song. “No freaking way!”

 

“These dresses are the latest designs by that worldly-famous French brand!” Added Yoon Yi. Not believing her own eyes.

 

“Latest you say?” Mrs. Cha suddenly turned to look at Era. “Certainly! Those can’t be bought before this month mom!” Yoon Yi was still admiring the dresses. Yoon Song raised a brow. “Wait… but none of us bought these as far as I remember…?”

 

Mrs. Cha took steps toward Jang Mi, who started to back-off slightly. “Well, well, well” she gritted her teeth. “I see now the truth behind the disappearance of my beloved vase” she gripped the scarf that was wrapped around Jang Mi’s neck as she approached her face to her and yelled: “You thief!” then she slapped her.

 

***