Chapter 11

Cinderella's revenge -신데렐라의 복수를-

Chapter 11

 

(During a meeting)

 

“Our products are now taking over the markets nationwide and if we need to keep this up…”

 

There was a presentation and one of the company’s directors explaining a theory to the rest of the executives who gathered around a big table, paying attention to every word said.

 

Will she be ok? I have a bad feeling about leaving her in that state…

 

Yu Jin on the other hand had Era occupying his thoughts.

 

What if she really did catch a cold? I remember it raining last night..

 

“CEO Lee, what do you think?” One of the executives questioned, and they apparently were in a very serious conversation and he obviously wasn’t listening at all.

 

“Huh?” He was caught by surprise, and the lights of the room were turned back on, all eyes were on him, eagerly waiting for his answer. “Oh..” he realized that the presentation ended. His father was eying him, along with everyone else present in the room.

 

Damn it…

 

He cursed in his mind, knowing that all of them, and their fake smiles that hid nothing beside their hypocrisy.

 

They’re dying to see me miss and commit a mistake, aren’t they now?

 

He rubbed his eyes and let out a challenging grin.

 

“Are you ok CEO Lee?” His father asked, his brows knitted.

 

“I am fine, just a bit tried” he said with a laugh, then got up to his feet and headed toward the front. “I believe we need to stop worrying about invading the Korean markets and instead, start to consider invading Asia.”

 

“But that’s not possible!” one of the executives opposed. “We will be facing a strong rivalry from many other Asian countries like Japan and..” another one added to get cut mid-sentence by Yu Jin.

“I’d rather use the word hard because there’s nothing impossible for the Lee. Corp to accomplish” he spoke with an overwhelming confidence. Then he gestured for the lights to be turned off again as he started another presentation, leaving all of them no space to argue or oppose him.

 

“I saw through it all” His father smirked as he was now left alone with him.

 

“Hah” he grinned and closed his eyes. “You’re the chairman after all and I wasn’t planning to fool you, from all people.”

 

“Lucky for you that you managed to get yourself off the hook.” His father patted his shoulder. “But be careful next time and remember that you’re the youngest among them so of course they’ll do their best to witness your fall.”

 

“And I’ll gladly wait for them to try.” he then started to stroll out of the room, heading back to his office.

 

Yes! I have nothing scheduled this afternoon so I’ll go and see her.

 

He beamed as he checked his phone but as he reached his office, he found Mrs. Cha waiting for him in there, which ruined both his mood and plans.

 

******

 

(Back to the Cha mansion)

 

Yoon Yi was watching TV with a mask on her face, with a bowl full of chips in her hands.

 

“Oh!” she suddenly jumped as she saw in TV a report about last night’s ball. “Oh my God! I’m seeing myself on TV!” there were pictures showing her and her mother and sister walking toward the entrance door.

 

“I’m famous!” she started to jump around. “I wonder if Yoon Song is seeing this” she picked up her phone to call her sister who was meanwhile in her office, doing some paperwork as one of the directors in her mother’s company.

 

“She’s not picking up, damn her” she pouted.

 

She sighed as she plopped down on the sofa again.

 

“Isn’t that…?” she was watching the entertainment world news and they announced the debut of Jun Ho.

 

“Wow” she was munching on some chips, “First his brother and now him?” she was stunned by it.

 

The doorbell rang in the midst of all that,

 

“Era! Go get the door!” she screamed, without moving a muscle.

 

But there was no response, and the bell kept ringing repeatedly and someone was banging on the door almost breaking it.

 

“Screw you Era! I wanted to watch his MV!” she yelled with anger as she went to get the door. “WHAT?” she shouted at the person, to get her jaw drop.

 

“Oh, what a rare sight” she got flashed and that guy took a picture of her, then pushed her aside and stepped in.

 

“Hmm, hmm” he started to hum “Never knew that witches had a good taste in music” he sang along the song that was heard all across the living room.

 

“L-Lee Jun Ho?” she blinked as she followed him. “W-Wait” she grabbed him by the shoulder.

 

“Don’t touch me, I might get cursed” he uttered with a smart voice, a sick smile on his face.

 

“What’s your problem?” she was annoyed. “Stop calling me a witch!”

 

“Do you have any better suggestions?” he sat in the large couch, his legs on the table, picking up the bowl of chips. “I’m all ears” he said as he started to eat.

 

“You’re so rude!” she blurted,

 

“Uh-huh” he nodded, not paying attention to what she said since he was focused on his music video that was playing.

 

“Argh!” she clenched her fists, picking up the remote control and turning the TV off because his face was all over the screen.

 

“A witch and a fun killer” he laughed, glaring at her.

 

“D-Don’t think you’re allowed to do or say whatever you want just because you’re some big shot!”

 

He arched a brow at her, and she gulped.

 

“Besides, what brought you here?” she averted her gaze away as she folded her arms.

 

“This…” he stood up and then tossed the bowl in the air, earning a gasp from her as the potato chips scattered all around the place.

 

“W-What have you done!” she covered .

 

“Wait, there’s more” he picked up a soda can then tilted it slowly, and the drink got spilled on the floor and carpet.

 

“Y-You’re insane!” she hurried to try and snatch the other can he picked from the table but he reached his hand up, making it impossible for her to reach it even if she stood on he tiptoes. “Give it back!” she yelled.

 

“Why are you this angry?” he asked with amusement evident in his tone. “You should be thanking me for helping you give that girl more things to do” his smile faded at once with his last utterance.

 

“H-How…?” she blinked, now backing-off after what she heard. “I-I mean… that’s nonesense!”

 

“Really?” the look on his face became scary. “Well then…” he tilted the can toward the sofa, still eying Yoon Yi.

 

“No stop!” she yelled, this time she was able to put her hands on the can, but he didn’t let go.

 

“What? Don’t you want Era to get in trouble so badly?”

 

“Not today!” she retorted, “She’s sick!” then her voice softened, “She needs to rest a bit”

Jun Ho’s eyes opened wide to what he just heard.

 

“So give that back!” she was able to snatch the can away from him, spilling some of it on her clothes accidently. “Oh great” she whined.

 

Jun Ho just stood there, motionless.

 

She crouched down and started to gather the potato chips.

 

“Are you… putting on an act just to win me over?” he wondered, with a deep voice.

 

“You’re too full of yourself you know?” she snorted “You’re not Yu Jin, what do I get from winning you over?”

 

That somehow made him laugh, instead of getting angry.

 

“Ouch, that hurts you know?” he clutched his chest.

 

“I’m a witch remember?” she looked up at him.

 

“Whatever…” he threw his hands in defeat. “I came here to see Era”

 

She halted as she heard what he said.

 

“So, here’s how thing are gonna work..” he pulled her up to her feet. “I will go upstairs and meet with her and you pretend you saw nothing, ok?”

 

She furrowed her brows at him and scowled:

“No, you can’t do that!”

 

He lifted her chin up:

 

“You help me this time and I promise to get you on my brother’s good side, alright?” he winked at her.

 

“R-Really?” her eyes started to shine and gaped. He nodded at her. “The Lee sons are taught to never back down on their words!”

 

So eventually, he was able to persuade her, and he went to see Era when she stayed downstairs and started to fantasize about her future encounter with his brother.

 

Jun Ho found Era lying asleep on her bed, she looked like she was having a strong fever. Yu Jin was right about her cold he thought. So he got out the medicines he brought for her and started to nurse her, sent a text to his brother and told him that things were exactly as he imagined they’d be: The girl was so sick and they didn’t seem to care at all.

 

******

 

Yu Jin’s phone buzzed on his desk. He glanced at the screen and quickly read the message he received from his brother without moving a muscle then his sight shifted back to the woman who sat across from him.

 

“So you were saying…?” he gestured with his hand so that for her to carry on explaining.

 

“I want for us to combine our shares Mr. Lee and for that I’m willing to give away my own part to you.” She talked to him while keeping eye-contact.

 

“So you’re willing to give up your position as chairwoman of the Board in other words?” he arched a brow at her. “Since you won’t be the one to take decisions on the company’s behalf anymore.. if that was the case.” a doubtful smile crossed his face.

 

She laughed.

 

“Well, yes that’s what I am willing to do.” She folded her arms. “I trust L.E Corp. because both of us know the current state of the C.F.C (Cha For Constructions) and I have to admit that I am not a good manager, I’m not willing to abolish my late husband's efforts and let the blood and sweat that cost him to build this corporation go to a waste.” She sounded so concerned. “That’s why I’m giving it up to you.”

 

Mrs. Cha sighed, Yu Jin smirked and pushed back his chair to get something out of one of the desk drawers.

 

“Ok, Mrs. Cha I understand your point but,” he placed a file in front of her. “Before I make a decision, I need to verify something with your help of course...”

 

“What is it?” she beamed, as he pointed with his finger at the paper.

 

“It concerns the shares that are supposed to be owned by the daughter, Cha Jang Mi” he saw colors draining from her face as soon as she saw the paper and heard the name.

 

“W-Wait… what do you mean?” she raised her face to look at him, saw him standing with his hands folded, a glare in his eyes.

 

“The first wife owned the second biggest portion after your husband’s…” he explained. “And since you are the one who inherited his, the shares belonging to that woman shall be owned legally by her daughter. I might add that I scanned thoroughly everything concerning your company's fiancial incomes and shares to find out unfortuantely that legally, the deceased daughter should've been the current head of the CFC, if you were to give up your position.”

 

"But she's dead now! Isn't she?" The woman lost her temper.

 

"Maybe... but there's nothing showing that the daughter or her mother, the legal owner entrusting you with the portion." He spoke with an accusing tone.

 

“N-No.. there’s something off with this file..” she started to stumble over her words, although she tried to keep her grin. “All I know is that my husband didn’t leave any will and neither that his wife did… since both of them died so suddenly and…”

 

“Humph” he sninckered. “Don’t tell me that you’re expecting me to buy that” he leaned over at her. “A businessman can’t die without leaving a will, that’s a given Mrs. Cha.”

 

“B-But w-we were never able to find it! Not even in his office's safe!” her tone raised along with her anxiousness.

 

“Relax, I’m not going to question you about that because what concerns me most is…” he shoved his hand in his pocket, thought he would find the locket but he found nothing.

 

“Is what?” she repeated, now that sweat started to form on her forehead.

 

He placed his palms on the desk as he gritted his teeth:

 

“The hidden truth behind the daughter’s disappearance that is.”

 

***************

 

“You know that I’ll be in big trouble if mom or sis were to come back home now?” Said Yoon Yi who was holding Jang Mi from the back as she sat on the bed. “And besides… why the hell are you feeding her?” she was so irritated.

 

“Would you stop whining, God! You’re so annoying!” scowled Jun Ho who had a bowl and a spoon in his hands, feeding Era some kind of soup. “She’s always taking care of you, it won’t kill you to be nice to her once, or twice!” he rolled his eyes, checking whether what he said made sense or not.

 

She fell silent for a minute.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he looked at her as she dropped her face.

 

“I think that you’re right” she bit her lips and nodded slowly, earning a gasp from him. “I mean… she never done anything to hurt us despite all the bad things that we did…” her voice trailed.

 

Jun Ho was speechless, and just watched her motions.

 

“It’s a bit painful for me to see her suffer, but I can’t possibly disobey my mother and sister”

 

“A bit?!” Jun Ho yelled, “Tsk… what a joke!” he was completely pissed at what he heard. “I just want to know why you took her in if you weren’t willing to do her any good in the first place!”

 

Her eyes widened with tears in them.

 

“Just cut the act ok?” he covered his face as he stood up to put away the bowl. “And let me tell you this one thing…” he scowled “You will pay for what you did to her, mark my words”

 

He started to head out. She immediately laid Era down and covered her then chased back after him.

 

“Wait! Jun Ho!” she called at him but he ignored her, leaving the house.

 

She combed her hair back with her fingers, just to hear footsteps coming in.

 

“Yoon Yi? What was the second son doing in here?” It was Yoon Song. “Hey don’t tell me you and him…” she gaped at her own assumption.

 

“No! Don’t jump to conclusions!” She defended.

 

“O..K?” she rolled her eyes as she took-off her jacket. “But if he wasn’t here to visit you then..?”

 

“Whatever Yoon Song, it’s not the time for you to play the detective” she went to the living room, not bringing herself to forget what just happened with Jun Ho.

 

“Well somebody’s moody today” exclaimed Yoon Song as she headed upstairs.

 

The door of the house slammed open just then, and the mother came in, panting.

 

“Hello mo-“ Yoon Yi was about to greet her but the woman just rushed to the second floor without saying any other words. “Mom?” Yoon Yi went after her.

 

She pushed the door of Era’s room open and hurried toward her bed.

 

“I need to prove her death huh?” she said with a breathy, dark voice as she remembered what Yu Jin told her earlier.

 

She pulled the blanket that covered her away, then pulled her up by the shoulders.

 

“Mom? Didn’t you…” Yoon Yi just came in Era’s room to gasp loudly at the scene spread before her eyes.

 

“NO!” She shrieked as she rushed toward her mother who had her hands on Jang Mi’s neck, looking completely void of her sanity. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” She was trying to break her apart from the girl, tears streaming down her face.

 

“Let go of me!” the mother yelled back, through pants.“That's it... that girl can never be left alive! I need… to prove her death!”

 

******