Chapter 1

Cinderella's revenge -신데렐라의 복수를-

~Three years later~

 

“Jang Mi!”  A loud voice echoed throughout the corridor.

 

“C-Coming Mrs. Cha!”  A girl with her long brown hair swaying along with her motions rushed toward the room from which the loud scream was heard.

 

As soon as she showed her face in the room, she got slapped and fell back on the ground.

 

“I told you that I hated when my clothes smell like strawberries!” she threw the dress in the girl’s face. “B-But Mrs. C-Cha… Yoon Song said that it was ok for me to-“ The poor girl defended.

 

“Humph, I never said so” the said Yoon Song came in and pushed Jang Mi aside with her foot as she walked toward her mother. “You’re accusing me of something I didn’t do! How dare you!” she scolded, and Jang Mi who was still on the ground mouthed an apology as she hardly picked herself up.

 

“Pull your lazy up and re-do the laundry!” the mother harshly ordered and Jang Mi got up and bowed her head. “I apologize for it”.

She then hurried to the closet and started to gather the freshly folded pieces of clothing.

 

Yoon Song leaned to her mother’s ear as both of them watched Jang Mi’s moves:” I still am impressed at the fact that she endured this for 3 years without rebelling even once.”  Whispered Yoon Song.

 

“Humph, she’s an idiot who believes in fairy tales, probably she thinks that one day she’ll find her prince charming and get out of this house” the mother smirked in amusement “But that will never happen unfortunately.”

 

“Haha, yeah, I mean, the only prince you can find nowadays can’t be reached unless you are some celebrity with a V.I.P access to a 5 star hotel. The two of them laughed as they left the room, and Jang Mi finished gathering the garments.

 

“You’re mistaking, Mom, Sister” she murmured as she glanced down at her hand that was covered with scratches and bruises “That positive girl who believed in tales died long ago… ever since she started to live in the real world.”  And that girl had no plans in rebelling or refusing her fate because she believed that she was a wicked child whose birth brought misfortune and grief upon her parents.

 

Mrs. Cha kicked out the servants saying that there was no need for her to waste money for things that could be done by somebody in the house. And that somebody was no one else but Jang Mi.

She learned how to do house chores, how to cook, how to sew even, and since she was smarter than her two sisters who went to school despite that she didn’t, she helped them with their assignments. Yet, instead of getting a word of thanks, she only was hit and they called her “arrogant” for trying to show her superiority to them. 

 

She woke up every single day at five in the morning, cleaned the house, fixed breakfast then did the rest of the chores. Without a word of complaints or without having her smile fade from her face –and that was what irritated the 3 women most, she worked hard and never failed in any of her given tasks.

She remained on that state for 3 years.

“And you should be grateful that I’m allowing you to stay here with us because your father didn’t leave anything for you” Always remembering the words of her stepmother.

-----------------------------------------

 

“Jang Mi!”  Someone knocked on her room’s door. She rose up from her bed, looking at the clock that showed two in the morning, she got a bit of a surprise and she opened the door, yawning. She found Yoon Yi standing outside with her pajamas on.

 

“W-What’s wrong Yoon Yi?” Jang Mi tilted her head. “I… I’m hungry!” she whispered but with a scream. “Huh? But didn’t you have dinner with everyone?” but Yoon Yi pulled Jang Mi by the ear and yelled in panic: “Keep your voice low you wench! You can’t let anyone hear!” Jang Mi bit her lip and nodded as her face became a bit red.

 

The younger sister let go of her ear:” As you wish, I’ll make you something and bring it to your room, ok?” Jang Mi smiled and raised her fingers in an ok sign. Her stepsister nodded and smiled then cleared and hurried back to her room downstairs.

 

“Huh” Jang Mi let out a sigh, then shook her head and headed to the kitchen. But on her way, she saw and for the first time for God-knows how many years, a dim light coming from her father’s study. Well, it’s not like it could be her father and she remembers her stepmother locking the door of that room and warning her from coming near it, but now that the door was slightly open, curiosity took the best of the girl that she inclined her body and peeked. She saw her stepmother seating to her father’s desk and with a laptop placed open in front of her when she was looking for something in the drawers.

 

“It’s not here! It’s not here and it’s not… here!” she cursed and Jang Mi jerked. “Damn him… for being a fox” she gripped her head with the tips of her fingers as she exhaled. “What do you think, Secretary Kim?” she turned her gaze toward the pc’s monitor.

“Then we just announce the death of the daughter, and tell the shareholders that Mrs. Cha’s portion was added to yours, and no one would suspect anything.” A voice spoke confidently from the pc, and Jang Mi knitted her brows because she couldn’t quite get what they were talking about.

 

“Well… I don’t know about this” she wiped her face with her palms. “You can’t weaken now!” the man’s voice raised “Going as far as to get rid of the C.E.O and his first wife without blinking an eye, I still believe you’re capable of doing anything to become the legal leader of the Cha Corp.”

 

Jang Mi’s eyes widened, she couldn’t believe her ears.

 

“Hah” Mrs. Cha snickered “Yes, I killed both of her parents but do you think I’ll be as heartless as to kill her as well?” A sick smile washed over her face. Jang Mi gasped, covering , getting more bewildered than she ever was. “Humph, of course I know you are” the voice of the secretary retorted in her same tone and she laughed. “You know I was right when I trusted you Secretary Kim and I know that I’ll never be disappointed” she held her jaw and smirked.

 

Jang Mi started to shiver in fear, and shook her head. “No, this can’t be…” she recalled how her father treated Mrs. Cha, “She… clearly… loved him” she closed her ears. “No… she can’t… kill him now can… she?” She turned toward the door and heard a witch-like laugh. 

 

Jang Mi backed off until her back touched the wall but then took off running. She headed downstairs, “Hey, where’s my-“ She didn’t even notice Yoon Yi who spoke to her and she just ran ahead barefoot.

 

I must get myself out of here…

 

That was the only thought that lingered in her blank mind during that time.

She didn’t stop running even when she left the big mansion.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Oh yeah~” a young man was driving, raising the volume of his music player and signing along. “I’ll be an idol yeah! I’ll be an idol yay!”

He was having too much fun until suddenly his phone started to ring.

 

He glanced at the caller I.D and gaped. “Crap, I’m so in trouble if he finds out that I’m the one driving” he gulped and tried to ignore the phone call and turned the music on. “I’ll be an iiiiiiidol! I’ll be an iiiiiiidol!”

 

He was so busy dancing but suddenly, something appeared before him in the driveway and he screamed: “WATCH OUT!” he immediately stopped the car but he could feel the strong impact causing him to fall on the driving wheel.

 

He opened his eyes. “I’m still alive” he blinked before a smile crossed his face. “Haha! I can move!” He moved his limbs and jumped from relief, forgetting that he was in a car, he bumped his head against the top, and his phone rang again. He glanced at the way and scratched his head. “Wait, just now I hit-“ and even before finishing his phrase he quickly dismounted the car and hurried to check and he saw someone lying there unconscious. He immediately covered his mouth.

 

“Oh no! Oh no!” he hurried to pick up his phone. “HYUUUNG! I’m so screwed!”  He yelled as tears filled his eyes. “Easy you idiot! I still need my eardrums!” the voice on the other end of the line scowled. “Hyung~” the teenager was whining and sobbing. “Stop crying and tell me what happened first” the hyung sighed.

 

“I was… I was driving happily when this ghost-like somebody appeared before me and I ended up halting the car and I don’t know what ing happened!” he was clearly panicking. “That’s why I told you for the billionth time NOT to drive WITHOUT obtaining a license yet!” he scolded and continued after another sigh “Just because you’re my brother don’t think I can get you out from every mess you make and no matter how BIG of a disaster you cause, Jun Ho”.

 

Jun Ho fell to his knees “Please, help me only this once! I’m so afraid that I killed them!”. The brother’s voice only got higher and more furious: “Do you want father to erase your name from the family’s registry?! That person BETTER NOT be dead, no matter what, we can’t afford another scandal after the recent one you caused!”.

 

Jun Ho closed his eyes as he crouched beside the body. He reached his trembling hand at the person. “So? Did you check on them?” he jerked at his brother’s voice that spoke. “You scared the out of me, this girl looks like a ghost.” Jun Ho turned her on the side in order to make her lie on her back. “A girl?! That’d be more troublesome oh lord”

 

“S-Stop pressuring me hyung! I’m doing my best not to faint here!” Jun Ho exploded but then peered at the girl’s face. “Faint? I’m the one who’s on the verge of getting hit by a ”.

 

“Wow, she’s not as bad as she looks” Jun Ho reached his fingers towards her neck. “Hey, don’t you try pulling anything strange just because she’s pretty!”  But the teenager yelled: “Yes! She’s still alive! I’m not a murder!” he could hear his hyung sigh in relief and then say:

“Call an ambulance, and remain with her there until it comes and don’t be naïve, maybe if she regains her consciousness she’ll ask for compensation, especially if she  recognizes who you are". Jun Ho carried her to the car, made her sit in the seat beside his and then called an ambulance as his brother instructed.

 

“At least she’s not bleeding” he was relived as he sat beside her and texted his brother. He the inside lights so that they won’t stay in the darkness and narrowed his eyes as he looked at her face. “Well, this noona doesn’t look like a refined lady... and even her arms are covered with scars…” he felt a bit sorry for her “Her parents should be very poor and treat her very badly” he patted her head. And that was when she moved slightly, and flinched. He immediately backed-off and let out a loud gasp.

 

“S-She’s… waking up!” he blurted. She looked around her and held her head. “W-Where am I?” her eyes met Jun Ho’s wide eyes and she let out a yelp.

 

“C-Calm down, noona, are you ok?” he realized that in her situation of course she’ll be in a worst state compared to him, so he was able to calm down too. “W-Who are you?” she was shivering clearly and so was her voice. He facepalmed. “Please don’t tell me you lost your memories” she shook her head. “Really?” his eyes glittered, as he got excited. “Yay! Then my career and family name aren’t in danger!” he shook his fists in joy then clasped her hands in his and said “Ask whatever you want, I’ll give it to you as long as you don’t tell anyone about the accident”

 

The word accident alarmed her and she remembered the reason she came out running and burst out crying. “E-Eh? W-Why are you crying!?” his palms hang in the air as he looked at her dropping her head and sobbing in her palms. “I’m so very sorry! Really, I’ll give you enough money so stop crying, oh?” he was very perplexed, as she shook her head. “What do you mean? Do you want this car? Or my card maybe? Everything but my phone I tell you!”

 

“I don’t need anything.” she uttered with a low voice. “Oh come on then, why are you crying?” he couldn’t take it and started to shake her by the shoulder “Did you break up with your boyfriend?” he thought that girls could exaggerate and overreact just because of a broken heart. “Can I just go?” she raised her face and pleaded. “Please?  Open this door” she couldn’t open the door because her blurry sight prevented her from finding the handle and she wasn’t familiar with cars.

 

“Y-You really don’t need anything? Even though I hit you with my car?” he thought that he had to ask her for a last time. And she nodded. “I just want to go” he leaned over and opened the door for her then suddenly he got struck by a crazy idea.

 

Wait, Lee Jun Ho, she’s crying and looking so miserable and in every movie you watched so far, the girl who’d look like her would only be found dead the next day.

 

He covered his mouth.

She’ll certainly commit suicide in this state!

 

“You can’t go anywhere noona!” he shook his head. “In fact, I’ll drive you right to your house if that’s where you want to go”. She somehow smiled at his reaction and said: “I don’t have a house to go back to” she looked just fine and she started to wipe her tears. “Thank you for worrying over me, but I must go” she patted him on the head and he was bewitched for a second by her. “O-Ok” he opened the door for her and yelled as she left the car: “Don’t you think of killing yourself, alright noona?” he smiled at her and she nodded and turned over her heels to leave.

 

She clenched her fists.

 

Of course I can’t kill myself… before I make that woman pay for what she did to my parents.

 

 

Jun Ho watched her walk away and called his brother who immediately picked up: "Did the ambulance arrive yet??” he asked but Jun Ho laughed and said: “Relax, she regained her consciousness and left already and we didn’t even have to go to the hospital.”

 

There was a small silence on the other end before the brother spoke with a composed voice: “And what did she take in return of her silence?” he was certain that she was acting up since she turned out to be ok. “Literally nothing” Jun Ho’s utterance left him speechless. “Don’t tell me.. she’s some rich girl or something?”

 

Jun Ho shook his head: “Well I highly doubt it… from the worn-out clothes she was wearing and the scars on her arms and hands… she can’t be rich, and she even said that she had nowhere to go so probably she’s homeless.” He narrowed his eyes as he spotted something glittering on the seat where she was just sitting.

 

“Well, you’re off the hook for now, but get ready for the lecture you’ll be getting from father, apparently you’ll be grounded for a month” Jun Ho suddenly gasped. “Hey, don’t try to mess with me you brat” but Jun Ho interrupted him; “Wait, I just found some fancy looking pendant hyung”

 

“You know I’m sick of your jokes” he exhaled sharply. “N-No, for real, and it even is decorated with some jewels!” Jun Ho was staring at the golden pendant. “Didn’t you say she’s homeless you fool?”

 

“Yes, I did, but this pendant looks very expensive” Jun Ho was trying to break it with his teeth. “It can be a cheap imitation of the real deal, oh wait… I think I can see your car…”

 

Jun Ho saw the lights of another car drawing close and he went down and started to wave, recognizing it. The car stopped in front of his and he spoke in the phone: “Whoa, to know that Lee Yu Jin came to pick me up and didn’t send some driver, I feel so blessed” he scoffed and the tall guy dismounted the other car and hid his phone in his pocket. Then came toward Jun Ho frowning.

 

“Hyung!” but he got punched lightly on the head. “Ouch!” he groaned in pain.

 

“This is for the trouble you caused and for distracting busy people such as myself from work” he went to ride in the car and some driver already left with the car he came with. Jun Ho hurried to hop in beside him and showed him the pendant. Yu Jin’s eyes went wide as he snatched the pendant away and looked at it.

 

“See? Told you it can’t be fake” Jun Ho leaned back into his seat. As for Yu Jin, he checked out the pendant and then touched it and it opened, revealing a small picture inside. “This man… looks familiar” he held his jaw in thought. “Hm? It has a picture in it?”

 

“Are you sure that the girl isn’t rich?” he raised a brow as he asked Jun Ho. “I already told you that she told me that she’s homeless.” Yu Jin closed the pendant and slipped it in his pocket. “Fine, whatever, we should go back home it’s getting pretty late.”

 

*To be continued*