Cold & Warm

The Law & I

=====

A heavy sigh swam out of his mouth when he finally walked into his apartment. The damn partner had proved a nuisance all day long. Not only was she clumsy and walked into other people, but even walked into poles! What Luhan hated most was a person who dragged and held him back from doing what needed to be done. He liked efficiency and accuracy, not…people who did things half-heartedly. And he could tell that Namjoo fit right into that category.

Closing the door he flicked the light on and jumped in the process of taking his jacket off when a dark shadow stood up from his couch.

“Do you know what time it is?!” his mother screeched.

“Geez mom, you scared me.” She was a tiny woman who had thinned down after his father’s passing. Now she wore oversized skirts and thick, dull sweaters as if no longer caring for her own appearance. He’d complained about her thick curly hair and suggested she get it trimmed and straightened, even offered her money to do so. The woman just never listened to him.  

“Put that back on,” his mother pointed at the jacket he’d strewn across the back of a chair. Luhan had chosen to live away from home after his parents complained about how late he returned in the middle of the night when he became a detective. They hated waking up to the sound of his footsteps and the doors opening and closing because the walls were so thin. After he moved out they complained about him neglecting them. Every time he went back he was told to quit his job, work in an office, and settle down, give them grandchildren.

Then his father died. And here was his mother, to continue with her nagging.

“No wait,” she shook her head when he picked the jacket back up. “Go take a quick shower. I’ll find something suitable for you to wear.”

“Mom,” he called out when she turned toward the hallway leading to his bedroom. Luhan lived in a rather simplistic place. Normally things were a mess since he was barely around, but now that his mother visited frequently the apartment was always sparkling. Ignoring him she walked into his bedroom and giving up with a groan, dragged himself toward the bathroom.

Another inconvenience in his life – his mother and blind dates.

=====

The clerk stared at Namjoo with half-lidded eyes and asked with irritation, “Don’t you have anything smaller?”

“Excuse me?” Namjoo squinted her eyes out of habit. Still, she was unable to make out the cashier’s face. The voice was that of a woman’s, perhaps in her early twenties.

“This is a fifty-dollar bill. I don’t have that much cash to spare in my register right now,” the woman explained half-heartedly, her voice without mercy. It was obvious the woman was expressing impatience and would be rude with her without holding back. Apologetic, Namjoo fumbled through her wallet again. These days it was becoming more difficult to even tell her bills apart.

“Sorry,” Namjoo resorted to pulling out her card, reminding herself silently she would have to mark her bills apart somehow. After leaving the store she slowly walked around being cautious of bumping into anyone and anything. The world was starting to light up for her as night fell. Seeing in the dark was easier for her than trying to make things out during the day. That would be the norm…until she went blind.

The thought hung over her like a dark cloud as she sat down and pulled out the sandwich she’d purchased. Slowly unwrapping it, took a large bite and chewed as she browsed the streets. Headlights appeared like orbs and flinching from the brightness turned away.  

“From now on, seeing in dim light will easier for you.” the Doctor explained. “You’re going to start having a hard time seeing. I really think you should turn in and get some consultation and support from specialists.”

Namjoo didn’t want to go to a blind home where she would be considered disabled. She didn’t want to learn how to read Braille. She didn’t want to meet other blind people. She was normal, had always been normal.

Bitter and upset Namjoo chomped down on her sandwich forcefully until it was all gulfed down. After throwing her trash away she her hands into the pockets of her jacket. The cool surface of Luhan’s picture glided across her fingertips and the sudden thought of him somehow made her feel better. There was something cool about the way he held himself, working hard every day that inspired her to live every day with her full effort. Something about it was so motivating, and she wanted to be just like him.

And today…he had talked to her for the very first time. A smile began to peak on her face before tripping over a crack in the walk. Groaning as she pulled herself up, worked at dusting dirt off her knee before wobbling forward. Great, another injury. How many times had she already gotten injured this month?

=====

This get-go wasn’t his style and would never be. Button-down, vest, and ironed dress pants…god, not his style at all. Luhan bet his mother already had all this prepared before he even got back home. There were so many times he regretted duplicating his key for her. He shouldn’t have worried that she’d drown in loneliness when she was such a busybody. The few times he decided to drop in on her she was never home, but at her neighbors gossiping and watching sitcoms.

Over his date tonight’s shoulders, he watched his mother sip her cup of tea enjoyably at a booth on the other end of the room. Yes, his mother surely knew his taste in woman. Perky lips, long eyes, a well-shaped body that spoke of her health, and long pretty hands. A plus on the side, she had wealth.

“I heard you’re a detective,” the woman smiled delicately, “you must be pretty busy.”

He returned the smile, acknowledging her pure white teeth she must have gotten done at the doctor’s. “I am pretty busy. It’s a miracle I still make time to have dinner with pretty women.”

Slightly lowering her head she giggled flattered. So easily swayed, he noted. Now this was the problem with the woman his mother had eyes for. They were all easy. There was no doubt that if a better man came along – one with riches and a better, secure job that wouldn’t take his life – her eyes would travel. Luhan wanted someone who would last and had pretty much given up on trying after his past relationships failed.

“I meant the plural of woman,” Luhan corrected himself, then lifting up his wrist glanced at his watch. “Well, looks like I gotta run. I have half an hour to get to my next date.” Shoving his chair back he stood and started to step by, but stopped and turned to the woman, “Since I only had tea, I’ll pay for my share. You can pay for yours, right?”

=====

“Are you crazy?! Do you know what you just lost?!” his mother screamed into his ears from the passenger’s seat, her whole body shifted toward him. “She was so perfect! It took me ages to persuade her to meet you! I can’t believe you would just do this to me! What are you going to say for yourself?!”

Clicking his tongue rubbed his ear with his thumb. He never held back from showing his annoyance with his mother. She would have to learn sooner or later that he had no plans to settle down, and would have to accept it. Luhan was determined on being stubborn as an ox. 

“I know.” He muttered.

“You know?!” she repeated appalled. Then even louder, “You know?! Then why did you do it!? After a few dates you could have gotten married! She has money, the body, and a generous heart! What more do you need from a woman?! There’s no one better than her!”

“Oh you don’t mean that, mom,” Luhan pointed out, “you said the same about that…that short haired woman – the last one you had me met a few weeks ago.”

“Fine then,” his mother finally leaned back into her seat, “if you won’t bring a girl to me within this month, you better go on a second date with the next one I’m setting you up with.”

=====

“Namjoo!” A voice screamed from the street. Turning her head toward the noise she listened to the car door open and close before footsteps scurried toward her. Minutes earlier when she failed to go any further than ten steps from where she’d fallen, giving up she dragged herself toward the curb. Reluctantly she had called Kai, the only good thing that happened to her through Hong Jae.

“Ow, slowly,” Namjoo mumbled as he helped her up.

“How bad is it? From one to ten, with ten being the worst,” he said as she hobbled against him toward the car.

“Let me think.”

“You still need to think about it? You’ve been here all this time and you don’t know.”

“I was sitting, not standing,” Namjoo reminded as he opened the door for her. He let out a snort closing the door before making a run around the car and got in. Namjoo listened to the car start up before they were on the street again.

Kai was a business owner. He owned a clinic where he worked as a doctor, treating children and the elderly. His prices were affordable and even his employees were all likeable. It was a place Namjoo frequented due to her injuries. Plus, Kai had been the only one to send her condolences when Hong Jae called the wedding off. Accepting his kindness she had decided to let him stay in her life and had become a friend she looked forward to seeing.

“I miss driving,” she commented.

“Want to steer?”

“Not if you want to die tonight.” They both laughed.

“Today was your first day at work, right?” Kai wondered. She nodded. “How was it? Did you meet him?”

Smiling, she nodded, “I did.”

“He recognize you?”

“I don’t think so,” Namjoo answered. “Seems like he was having a bad day.”

“Doesn’t everyone?” Kai remarked. It became silent inside the vehicle. From through the closed windows they listened to a car honk at another for being cut off.

Kai finally spoke again, “Maybe you should quit. Chasing criminals…isn’t your thing. You could come work with me; I have a therapy wing in my clinic…”

“I don’t think…therapy is for me,” Namjoo cut him off. They became silent again to give each other air. Kai knew he was poking at her weak spot and Namjoo knew if she got upset she’d use it on him.

“Namjoo,” he said a few moments later, “put your hand here.” She turned to see he hadn’t moved in his chair; then felt him grab her hand before placing it over the gear handle to shift it into park. “You’ve just completed our driving trip tonight.” Namjoo frowned at him before bursting out with a laugh.

=====

Namjoo winced as Kai wrapped a gauze around her ankle. Gripping onto the table she glanced around the patient room they’d gone into. Kind Kai had avoided turning on the bright lights, brought a lamp in from his office and plugged it in. Now the room was full of sleepy, dim light flowing from the corner. She’d offered to wear sunglasses so he had better visibility but he had offered for her comfort instead.

Kind Kai was how she regarded him. Very kind, very gentle like no other.

“You’re lucky you don’t have a broken leg,” Kai commented as he finished up. “I’m amazed you haven’t broken a bone yet from all the damage you do to yourself.”

Namjoo smiled guiltily. “You should be glad I recommend you to others and I still do.” He glanced up at her with a sarcastic sneer.

Setting the gauze aside he settled down onto the hard bed with her, the sheets crinkled underneath them. It felt like she was in a psychiatric room, about to be put under some hypnosis for treatment. Leaving all that out, she felt safe and content with Kai.

“Soo In called me the other night,” Namjoo told. “She’s wondering why you haven’t contacted her lately.”

“Been busy,” Kai picked at the white paper under them. Namjoo turned to look at him before nudging him. She and Hong Jae had gone on double dates together with Kai and Soo In. It felt just like yesterday when they were at the bar, ordering drinks, chips, and salads. During that time something had obviously been going on between the two, but after breaking up with Hong Jae Namjoo wasn’t sure what had happened to them. Soo In hadn’t contacted her until two nights ago to ask about Kai. She wasn’t aware Soo In still had her number for she believed everyone close to Hong Jae had decided to cut her out of their lives, the same way he had.

Pulling on a smile to ease any awkwardness away she added, “Anyway, I was just wondering. I was surprised she even called me, you know, after all this time.”

“Just ignore them,” he advised. Namjoo could swear that even if she couldn’t see his face from the shadows, his voice didn’t sound light. “Anyhow, you don’t need them. Don’t pick up the next time she calls.” Namjoo was tempted to ask why to inquire about what had happened between them, but Kai slid off the table and turned to face her.

“Did you have dinner? If not, I’ll treat you.”

=====

Clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth, Luhan lifted his arm up to stare at his watch. Ten minutes…ten minutes he’d been waiting for Namjoo to get in for work. Women, he sneered, always took their time getting up in the morning. He was definitely going to show her what work was all about when she arrived. Already on her second day she was proving to be a failure. If he got annoyed enough today with her he wouldn’t hesitate to file a complaint against his partner and request for a new one. Not even the Chief would be able to stop him.

He watched as a cab came to a screeching halt outside the police station. The door opened and Namjoo hurried out in a mismatched outfit. One of her socks blue, the other green. Luhan’s brow subconsciously narrowed, wondering if that was what had taken her so freaking long. Not only did she seemingly rush toward the curb, but hobbled along the way as if her leg was broken.

“Remarkable,” he commented as she walked up to him.

“Yes?”

“Eleven minutes late on your second day,” he glanced at her, irritated every time her face came into view. Then clapping his hands loudly, leaned in toward her hoping to intimidate her, “You’ve made a record no one’s set.”

She stared up at him with her bug eyes, “Sorry. It was just…I had a hard time walking. I won’t do it again, I swear.”

“If you cut your finger, do you stop cooking because of it?” He asked.

“What?” Namjoo asked, apparently nervous then quickly shook her head. “Of course not.”

“Then don’t ask for pity because you hurt yourself,” he stared at her with a menacing stare before turning around to walk in. Without waiting or holding the door for her, he listened to it close behind him and made his way down the hall toward the meeting room where every other officer was currently seated. Seeing that only one seat was available he took it without consideration of his partner’s injured ankle.

=====

Pressing her lips together Namjoo mentally knuckled herself on the head. She knew she should have woken up earlier, but she just hadn’t been able to listen to her alarm this morning. Silently scolding herself she followed Luhan in, thankfully catching a glimpse of him heading down the hallway before disappearing from sight. Picking up her pace with pain racing up her ankle, she hurried after him and watched a door close at the end of the hallway. Unsure about what was going on she went in after in, surprised to find so many men and a few women seated. A few men were at the back, all propped up against the walls like mannequins.

Namjoo turned to look around, curious about what was going on. She’d never been to a formal meeting before, only small ones when she had helped run a café at the corner of the street. Before her suicide attempt she had lived well off the money her grandparents and parents’ insurance gave her. Then after, had used the money to enroll into the Police Academy where she studied hard to make her way through. She didn’t have much physical ability, but thankfully her brain had made up for the mess she’d been.

Someone was speaking up front about new security revisions and crime rates in the area. Namjoo was aware she should be listening, because the information was important but the speaker’s voice was so monotone and boring she felt like falling asleep. Standing for five minutes on end made it worse for her ankle, so she continuously shifted from foot to foot. A few of the men around turned to glance at her as if annoyed by her constant movement. She tried apologizing quietly before seeking out Luhan among the crowd. She spotted him three rows in front of her, but he didn’t once glance back. And all the seats surrounding him were disappointingly taken.

Biting onto her tongue, praying that time would quickly pass by she endured with the pain. Staring at down at the patterned carpet, hoped that focusing on something else would help keep her from falling asleep standing up. That was when she felt someone touch her arm and for a split second, hoped it was Luhan. Instead she found herself looking up into the face of a stranger who offered her a gentle smile.

“Do you want to sit?” he questioned. “You can take my seat.”

“Oh no, that’s all right,” she shook her head.

“Doesn’t look like your feet agrees, go ahead,” he urged.

Namjoo glanced temptingly at the empty chair then back to him, before smiling. “Thanks.” Relief swept up her lower half as she settled into the seat. Bathing in comfort she glanced back to see the young man staring ahead at the man currently speaking.

The horrible meeting finally ended an hour later. Without waiting for her all the men filed up to leave, which left her pinned to her seat. Her eyes roved around for Luhan, but too many thick bodies were in the way. Part of her alarmingly worried that he wouldn’t wait for her and leave immediately. When the crowd finally thinned she got up to hurry out the door, twisting her head from left to right.

“Are you looking for Luhan?” A voice from the right asked. Namjoo turned to see the man from earlier smile and wave at her from the wall he was leaning against.

“Ah…yes, did you see him?” The man nodded his head to her left and following his gesture spotted Luhan far ahead, locked into conversation with the man who’d been speaking earlier.

“Are you new here?” the voice made her turn back to him. This time Namjoo finally sunk in his features. His head was full of dark healthy hair and his face looked a little welcoming, but his features were strong. That was all Namjoo was able to make out before he held his hand out.

“I’m Hyuk,” he introduced himself. “I just started here too. Lets become friends.” 


***I see cliche elements, but oh well, cliche can be good sometimes.

***KaiJoo feels from Lessons From Romance be stabbing me in the heart again

***Oh and fear not, this was supposed to be a oneshot but I decided to make it story length. Lets enjoy ^^