Mr. Arrogant

The Law & I

“My grandma went blind.”

“You’ve probably inherited the disorder from her. Do you have anyone to take care of you?” The doctor inquired. An elderly man with a face full of gentle lines. His head bald with specks of random hair here and there. His glasses made him appear smart and Namjoo was urged to snap them in half.

“Can’t I get surgery to fix it or something? There must be a way to fix this.” Namjoo was desperate. She was going to get married in five months.

“I’m afraid not, there’s no known cure as of the moment, but we’re currently doing research,” the doctor calmly explained despite her growing anxiety. “Do you have glasses, Miss Kim? It would be best to wear glasses daily to help you see.”

“I don’t want glasses!” Namjoo raised her voice helplessly, unable to control her growing discomfort with the news. “How long…how long before I go blind?”

Maybe a couple years at least, three or four years at most. Her vision would only get worse from them on…until she eventually went blind once and for all. Grandparents dead. Parents dead. No siblings. Namjoo had thought it was a miracle when she met billionaire Hong Jae, who she was destined to marry – only, the news about her blindness destroyed that too. It was like a curse and she’d been pushed toward the gorge. Her only options: to jump or try to cross to the other side.

During that time, Namjoo had jumped.

It had been raining that night, the steep incline leading to the mountain was supposed to be abandoned by hikers. No one was supposed to be there. During the storm Namjoo had pulled out the keys from the ignition, sobbing as she chugged those pills, forcing them down in dozens with a bottle of water. And she had awaited death. The blinding darkness had overwhelmed her. She had even felt her breath slow while listening to the tear drops pound the windows. At the back of her head something was pounding before eventually, there was the shattering of glass.

That was why she was currently sitting at the police station, currently grinning while staring at a picture of Detective Lu. Namjoo wouldn’t consider herself a certified stalker, but this was one of the better pictures she’d managed to snap of him on one of her follow-him expeditions. It was a picture of the Detective in motion, twisting around to observe the landscape behind him. His expression both handsome and serious, exactly what defined him.

Namjoo had discovered the identity of her savior when she went to fetch her car after leaving the hospital. Turns out a rookie cop had busted her windows in order to get to her, accidentally leaving behind his nametag. Since then she’d sought for a Luhan wherever possible until she found him. And to her bewilderment, was so many years younger than her but that hadn’t seemed to stop her fascination with him.

And from then on, had made it her goal to become a policewoman who worked right by his side. Namjoo wanted to believe there was a reason why she hadn’t died that night and she was going to live to search for that reason, and of course, thank Luhan for saving her life. She wanted to believe he wanted to show her a better world, so ridding of her sadness, looked up to him as a model. Leaving behind her desire of a luxurious life she went in search of her purpose with Luhan as her inspiration.

After two years of training her vision was constantly blurring and she could no longer see color well. Staring at something for minutes on end didn’t make the cut. Her doctor had suggested she go into rehabilitation, but Namjoo didn’t want to be taken care of like an elderly. It put her pride to shame. Namjoo would give herself a few months in the force before quitting once and for all. Shortening her goals, all she aimed to do was to get to know her savior a little and then she would disappear forever.

“Kim Namjoo?” a voice spoke behind her. Alarmed, she quickly tucked the picture away into her jacket and shot up from her chair.

“Yes!” a tall male looked her over, judging her short appearance before gesturing his head to the left. “You can go into the office now.”

A smile sprung up her lips, “Yes, thank you!” Adjusting her glasses over her nose hurried forth. It had taken some time getting used to her thick lenses. Her professor at the Police Academy had suggested contacts for her – would be safer at the front lines, he’d said, but Namjoo had refused. There was something about touching her own eyeball that disgusted her. So glasses it would be.

A round man sat behind a long oak desk piled with countless binders. The shelf behind him was groomed with thick, fat books that would take Namjoo years to read. Unlike those dramas on TV, this guy’s office was shabby, full of dust, and appeared worn down – like something passed down from generation to generation. And sadly, no windows.

“Kim Namjoo?” his voice was rough and edgy, but Namjoo hoped he was kind.

“Yes, that’s me.”

He let out a roar of laughter, as if he’d given the correct answer to some quiz. “Welcome to the force. From first appearance, I can tell you’re a passionate one.” Namjoo grinned. She knew she looked like a nerd with the glasses on and had often been referred to one at the academy. It wouldn’t be a surprise if everyone here assumed she was some kind of smartass.

A knock on the open door from behind made them turn. At the doorway he finally appeared. Namjoo watched with awe, even if she couldn’t see him clearly, knew what he looked like in every detail. Two years earlier when her vision was still clearer she’d seen him a hundred times a month.

Detective Luhan.

“You called for me, Sir?” Even his voice was soft and gentle. Namjoo felt all her dreams come alive. Working next to the man who saved her life, the one person who brought her back from the dead to show her there was so much more out there. She wanted to know all about his big heart, the things he thought about, and the things he yearned to do in the future.

The Chief smiled in greeting, “You’ve been requesting for an aid, so we picked out some high achievers who just graduated from the academy. Meet your new partner, Kim Namjoo.” Namjoo trained her eyes on the blurred Luhan, smiling with much expectation. They’d shake hands and be cool, might even become something like best buds.

Instead, his expression didn’t move. He eyed her, but didn’t look the least bit impressed by her stature. Neither did he comment about how smart she appeared. Slowly turning his attention away, jutted his thumb back to her while asking in a tone that seemed insulted, “Her?! You want me to work with her?! Chief!”

A cough resonated from the big man’s . “Watch what you’re saying. She’s standing right there.”

“I asked for a man,” Luhan stated, “not,” he glanced at her, “a girl.” The smile on Namjoo’s face depleted of energy and she turned to look at him. Did he just call her a girl? Was he aware that she was beyond her age to be considered a girl?

“She’s smart, got good scores on her exams,” the Chief paused, “looks smart…”

Withholding a sigh and remaining enthusiastic with the belief that maybe Luhan was just having a crummy day, turned to him to take over, “I’m Kim Namjoo, I placed fifteenth out of all 150 students. I can do anything that’s asked of me. And I have an ability not everyone has, I see better in the dark.”

Luhan’s expression only slightly changed to judging her with amusement. “So you can do anything that’s asked of you.” Namjoo furiously nodded. “Turn in your resignation. The Chief’s going to assign me a new partner.”

“Detective!” the Chief roared. Namjoo’s eyes widened in surprise. Finally standing, the Chief sighed as he leaned over his desk, “No, I will not switch your partner. From now on, I’ve decided, you two will stick together…forever.”

“Chief!” Luhan deepened his voice with disbelief and what Namjoo thought was anger. Since learning that she was progressively losing eyesight had started learning how to detect voices and the range of emotions one hid there.

The Chief waved his hand at them to shoo them out, “Now get out. You’re on downtown patrol till a new case pops up. Take her with you.” Namjoo nodded toward the Chief in thanks, but turned when Luhan shuffled by without a word. She swore he had the intention of leaving her behind on purpose.

When she rushed out, Luhan was already out the front doors. Clumsily bumping into tables along the way, had to stop every so often to apologize to the others. She was sure Luhan already ditched her, but when she stepped through the doors saw him standing impatiently by his car with hands in pockets. A smile sprung onto her face and wishing to give him a good impression hurried down the steps toward him.

“I thought you left,” Namjoo commented, nearing him. Without movement of his head, glanced at her.

“Can you drive?”

“No.” It was a lie. Namjoo had a license, she just no longer drove. A year ago she’d been stubborn enough to insist she could still see and drive. The conclusion? She’d driven into a pole due to the bright sunlight. Sure she still had her license, but it was now more like a license to kill.

The deep sigh of Luhan’s frustration flew into her ear and out the other. She tried smiling, hoping it would make Luhan feel better.

“Where do you live?”

Jutting her thumb back, “On the east side.”

“So how’d you get here when you live so far away?”

“Well…I walk, you know walking is very essential for your health,” her voice subconsciously went up a notch, “or sometimes I take the bus. Too many cars lead to global warming. That’s why more people car pool nowadays, isn’t that right?”

Luhan snorted. She thought he sounded like a brat, but tried not to assume it. Without saying anything he walked around his car and got in without inviting her. Namjoo turned to watch and listen to him turn on the engine. Seconds later he scrolled down the window on the passenger’s side.

“Do I have to tell you to get in?” the impatience in his voice was no joke, but still glad with the invitation, opened the door and entered.

=====

Goodness, he was more annoyed than ever with what the Chief just did to him. Throwing a girl at him. This chick looked like she wouldn’t be able to last in a chase. Plus, her glasses just made it even worse. What if they got knocked off and she started looking for them? Imagining all the time wasted searching for them made him feel like choking on spit. Women were always on the lookout for something and they were so easily distracted. If he had a male partner, his job would be easier to deal with.

There were only two things he knew women were always after: money or men. He swore that if this one was looking to hook up, he would kick her off immediately. Peering at her out of the corner of his eye didn’t give him a favorable impression of her. Luhan swore the only thing that called out to him was weak.

How in the world was he supposed to work with her?!

As if reading his mind she quickly turned to look at him. Then…that smile again. What was with her and smiling like that? As if all things in the world made her happy. The heck was wrong with her?

“So where is it we’re going?” Namjoo wondered. “Does the area downtown have a lot of criminal activity? Do you fight robbers? Have you ever come across a standoff?”

Irritated…Luhan was just so irritated. Reaching over, the radio and blared the volume to overpower her voice. He didn’t want to answer her nor listen to her. For God’s sake, he didn’t want to work with a woman. He expected her to shut up, but instead started singing along to what was playing on the radio. She even started waving her hands around, throwing her head from side to side.

Did this woman ever stay still?!

Rolling his eyes, pressed his foot down on the accelerator wishing today would quickly be done with.

=====

Namjoo’s body literally flew forward when Luhan sped up. She hadn’t caught anything suspicious going on. Even with blurred vision she could still make out signs and shapes. Surely nothing had occurred with her eyes on the road.

“Turn on the alarm,” Luhan ordered.

“Alarm?” She repeated, scanning the dashboard deliriously. There was no such button, even leaned forward to feel around. She was shoved back into her seat when Luhan his arm out. It happened so fast she wasn’t sure what just happened before sirens deafened her.

“Bastards should know better than to start racing in the middle of the road,” Luhan cursed under his breath. Namjoo glanced at him wondering why he was so angry before he abruptly swerved to the side without warning. She ended up colliding into the door and all motion ceased, signaling they’d come to a stop. The door opened. Slammed. Luhan was out of his seat and out of the car. Namjoo watched him walk with authority toward the car in front of them, knock on the window. Even his stance spoke of irritation and anger.

For a moment she waited for Luhan to finish his business, but after a minute or two Namjoo finally got out of the car. Since Luhan hadn’t said anything about staying in the car, she figured it was all right for her to get out.

“I said no!” the man in the blue car screamed at Luhan. She watched her idol detective heave an impatient sigh through his lips. His hair fluttered from the released breath. Luhan shifted his weight onto his other leg – a body language that said he was about to let loose. Namjoo hurried forward, afraid Luhan might get in trouble if he started a ruckus with the man.

Walking over Namjoo stopped beside Luhan, and observed the bearded man in the car. He looked distressed. “Can I ask what’s wrong?”

“Who are you?” The man was as short on patience as her partner. From the side she could feel Luhan slightly glaring at her.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m...” Namjoo shot him a quick glance, “just trying to help.” Throwing his head back, Luhan ran his tongue against the inside of his cheek in exasperation.

“Are you a cop, ma’am?” The man inside the car inquired. Happy with the recognition, Namjoo quickly nodded.

“Yes, I am.”

“Then tell your buddy here,” he shot Luhan an eyeful, “that I will not be paying the ticket he just gave me.” Shooting his arm out, a slip of paper into her chest. Namjoo barely stumbled back. “Why am I the only one pulled over when there were clearly three of us out on the road? If you cops did your jobs better and distributed justice equally instead of picking on certain people, maybe we would be better citizens. You guys are just a bunch of bastards.”

His words shot through her ears and parted for a befuddled reply. None came up. In no time his wheels screamed against the concrete as he drove off, leaving her to peer at the ticket he’d just handed back to her. When she looked up at Luhan, she caught his death glare. Namjoo tried for an apologetic smile. Ignoring her Luhan turned to walk away, simply with no desire to deal with her.

When they got back into the car Luhan didn’t speak to her. Not even when they were back on the road. Filled with guilt and the need to apologize for ruining his job Namjoo continuously glanced at him, searching for a gap where she could speak to him. In the end she turned the noisy radio off.

“About earlier, I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized. “I didn’t know it would end up like that.”

Luhan turned to shoot her a long stare – one that was obviously not happy. She felt that behind his impending stare, there were many things he wanted to say to her. Instead, all he said was, “Never ever make a move without my order. Do you understand?”

She suddenly felt like a five-year-old being scorned for breaking an expensive dish. She ended up nodding ruefully. 


***He's not who she expected him to be, but Namjoo's still keeping her hopes up.