Quest 03. Proposal

Love Quest

It didn’t take him long to return back to the castle and he could already see Dongwoo waiting for his return. He smiled at him before taking his coat off and hanging it up. 

“Had a good day, sir?” Dongwoo asked him, a small bow and leading him to the dinner table that was already set up for him. 

“Very much so. I found her. Your advice worked.” Jong Suk said happily, he took his seat and Dongwoo took the silver cover off to reveal the steak, cooked medium rare with potatoes and veggies. 

“That was quite quick, are you sure she is the one?” Dongwoo asked him, staying behind to keep up the conversation. 

“Yes, well, no that’s what the tests are for. But today I saw her protect a young girl who has a huge birth mark on her face from being picked on by other boys.” Jong Suk told him. “She was very caring overall as a mothering type as well.”  

“That’s great, you just need to test her strengths, morals and intellect now. You never know what your father will play for the games.” Dongwoo said, he called for the dessert course when he noticed that Jong Suk was close to finishing. 

“I have somewhat of an idea for the games he will expect us to play. I know my father will make the women play a life size chess tournament where stand in for some pieces. I know he believes that men are better chess players than women that’s why.” Jong Suk said, taking the last bite of his steak in his muse. 

“Your father seems to be a bit biased in that respect, forgive me for thinking so.” Dongwoo said politely. 

Jong Suk just smiled at Dongwoo, “Do not fret, Dongwoo. I believe he is a bit biased as well. Some of the princesses that have played me in chess were very clever, I believe some of them threw the game in fact.” He said. 

The small plate of fresh creme brulee came and Jong Suk took the small spoon, listening to the hardened sugar crack. “What should I do now though?” He asked aloud. 

“Don’t you have to ask for her hand in marriage?” Dongwoo asked back. “You have to bring her to the castle in secret of course, if your cousins find out then they will surely try to turn her away.”  

“I know, but I introduced myself as Dal Po to her. So if I ask for her hand, then I will have to ask as King. And every father does not want their daughter to marry me.” He said sadly. “Because of everything my cousins have done to ruin me.”  

“Then so be it. Her father lives in town, he must be in need of money, so offer him so much that he can’t refuse despite the rumors. Even she must understand that her father would need the money as well.” Dongwoo told him. 

Jong Suk scooped up the last bit of custard and sugar and stared at it. “And then hide myself? Will you be ready to help her through the preparations?” He asked him. 

Dongwoo smiled widely, “Of course, sir. You know that we have prepared for this day for a long time.” He said. 

Jong Suk smiled back, “Very well. I will propose tomorrow then. Hopefully, she’s not too unwilling. She seems the type to believe in love and while I know I can fall in love with her, she might have trouble with me.” He said. 

He stood in front one of his regular mirrors, he preferred the magical kind where he could a person’s true self no matter what spells they put on themselves. But for today, he needed to know what he looked like to the world. 

He added a big belly, a long beard, hair that covered his face. He changed his regular suit to a more flowy robe to accommodate his size as his rumors said. He added more hair on his fingers and arms. 

There was no way anyone that truly knew him could recognize his face now. He turned and saw Dongwoo waiting for him with the chests prepared. “You truly look like the rumors, sir.” He said. 

“I know, it’s horrendous, isn’t it?” Jong Suk asked him with a sigh, “Hopefully, it won’t be too bad.” He said. 

“I’m sure everything will work out in the end.” Dongwoo said optimistically. “She will get to know you if she is really the one.”  

“I’ll be on my way then.” Jong Suk said as the servants filled his carriage and they made their way towards the house that was by the park. He was able to pinpoint exactly where she lived after some discussion with everyone else. There were no secrets in his castle, as everyone was on his side, despite his cousins’ rumors. 

He stopped in front of the house and took a deep breath, lowering his voice to suit the image he was presenting. He was sure that the father would be displeased until he saw the gold. The girl he was not sure of, Hyolim, was too uncertain that he had no idea what to expect. 

“Good morning, Your Majesty.” Her father greeted him with a bow as he got out of the carriage promptly.   

“Good morning.” He replied. “May we talk about some matters?” He asked him. 

Her father froze in hesitation but nodded his head quickly as not to upset him. “S-Sure.”  

“Thank you.” Jong Suk replied. He walked inside, careful to make space for his wideness without arising suspicion. 

He stood in the living room with the chests beside him and he gestured for his servants to open them. Hyolim’s father stared at them in shock and Jong Suk looked around to find that Hyolim was not around at the moment. 

“I would like your daughter’s hand in marriage.” He stated simply, holding his arms out at the chests of gold. “Is this enough for her brideprice?”  

Hyolim’s father’s jaw dropped as he stared somehow. “M-Marriage?” He stuttered, moving closer to the chests. 

“Father!” Hyolim shouted at him as she entered the room. Jong Suk turned to look at her and she still looked beautiful despite her rage. He couldn’t help but feel happy that she was mad, it made her even more suitable because this was a very archaic practice. Only those that believed in patriarchy followed the brideprice practice. 

“What?” Her father replied, taking his eyes off the money for a moment. “Do you not agree? You know we could buy a new house with the money.”  

“Father! I won’t be living in the house.” She said angrily. “You could buy a school with the money, I would rather you did that if you plan on agreeing without my consent.”  

“A school? But sweetie…” He said. 

“I thought you said you would never ever let me marry the King.” Hyolim crossed her arms over her chest and stared at him intently. 

“I did. But the money. Sweetie…” He said pleadingly. “I’ll build the school and whatever is left I’ll keep for myself.”  

Jong Suk smirked as he realized that she also had a kind heart. She didn’t want her father to just spend the money away but put it to good use for the children. She would be perfect, though she was a bit headstrong, but it would help him in the games later. 

“Fine. Just know that I’ll be upset with you for a while.” Hyolim said, turning around on her heel and packing her things.  

He waited for her to come back downstairs with her bag of things and he smiled at her as much as he could under the gross image he had on. “Very well. We will be on our way.” He said, taking his servants with him and walking out to the carriage. The servants surrounded her carefully to keep her out of sight from any wandering eyes. 

“I have some matters to attend to, so I will send you to the castle by yourself. I will see you later.” He told her, she allowed him to help her up into the carriage, her mood still sour from the agreement. 

“You won’t be coming?” She asked him in confusion. “At all?”  

“I will see you when I see you. I have matters around the kingdom to attend to. Despite what you hear, I still run the kingdom accordingly.” He told her, closing the door and sending the carriage off. 

He disappeared into the forest to get rid of the magic and he walked back to the castle by himself. Hyolim frowned to herself alone in the carriage at the exchange that just occurred. Surely, the King had to go back to the castle, but he didn’t seem too bad. 

She supposed that the rumor about him eating women’s heads was false as he didn’t seem interested in even being around her. But she was also giving him the benefit of the doubt, though he was rather hairy as the rumors stated when he came for her. 

The carriage came to an immediate stop and the door was opened for her by a blonde man with a big smile, “Good afternoon, Miss.” He greeted her. “I am Dongwoo.”  

“Hyolim.” She said, taking his hand and letting him help her out. “It’s already past lunch time?” She asked. 

“Indeed it is. Are you hungry?” He asked her. “I could have the kitchen make you something to eat.”  

Hyolim shook her head, “I’ll be fine at least until dinner, I usually don’t eat lunch.” She said. 

“You don’t? Why not? Are you sure you do not want a snack? The kitchen won’t try to poison you or anything.” He said, trying to qualm any fears that could have happened from the rumors. 

She smiled at him, “It’s not that. I just usually eat fruit for lunch, so I do not wish to upset that cycle. But the King won’t be around?” She asked, realizing that one of the servants happened to take her bag before she could carry it herself. 

“Not really, he is busy with affairs of the Kingdom. He has some taxes to collect as well as some notices to send out.” Dongwoo informed her, “But tomorrow I will have an activity for you. For now, just feel free to get adjusted, and right this way is your room actually.” He said, as they had walked into the grand foyer of the castle with all their talking. 

He led her to a giant bedroom that had a king sized bed inside for her and a closet that made all of her clothes look too little and a bath she could sleep in. “Is this to your satisfaction?” He asked her. 

“Sure.” She replied, in shock still and taking it all in. 

“Very well. I will see you for dinner, Miss Hyolim. Get some rest.” Dongwoo said leaving the room and her behind. 

She sighed to herself, even though her father was swayed by the money, it was still surreal that she would be living in the castle. But it was even weirder that she wouldn’t be seeing the King around. And no one seemed to be pushing the wedding on her any time soon. 

All in all, it was weird, but she had no say in anything but she could at least try to make the best of what she got. The bed was softer than her bed, and she wouldn’t be sleeping in the same place as the King right away.  

Dongwoo was nice, but what activity could he possibly mean? She sighed, closing her eyes. It was easier to deal with one thing at a time and that meant a nap. 


Author's Note;;
Wow. Well that was long. :o 
Not all the chapters will be like this. :o 
But I didn't want to separate the proposal from the rest of it. :o 
ANYWAY. ENJOY :D
;) that cameo ;)
*hopefully I get a poster soon*