Quest 01. Deceit

Love Quest

He paced back and forth, his long legs forcing him to make huge strides across the room. His butler stood by the door anxiously, both of them were quite anxious. He had just received word that his cousin would be coming by and he had nothing prepared. But he knew his cousin was only coming to gloat, for he had just gotten married and that meant he now qualified for the competition.

The competition that he was still not qualified for, he groaned, stomping his foot down in tantrum. All of them would pay for doing this to him once he became King, and he would become King.

"Sir," His butler stammered, interrupting his train of thought

He whirled around at him, "What." He said angrily. He led out a huge sigh before shaking his head, "I'm sorry, but they just infuriate me."

His butler lowered his head slightly, "I understand, do not worry about me. But, Mr. Yoo Yeon Seok will be arriving soon and you should keep your composure for the meeting." He told him, having been with his master for so long, he could predict his moods.

Jong Suk let out another sigh, "I know. It's just he's here to gloat about stealing the girl I was in the middle of courting before they ruined it again." He explained, feeling slightly better from talking about it.

"They know you are far superior to them and that makes them worried. Do not fear, I am sure you will be able to overcome this once you find a woman who won't listen to the lies." His butler assured him, as the horns of his cousin's arrival could be heard.

"Time for the show." Jong Suk muttered under his breath and moved towards the gates to greet his guest. He stood tall amongst his people that were eager to please his cousin, they themselves had a reputation to uphold.

He watched the gaudy chariot rolled up and his cousin's footman came down to open the door. A small red carpet rolled out for Yeon Seok's entrance and he walked in with his head held high. "Good afternoon, Jong Suk." Yeon Seok greeted him haughtily.

Jong Suk gave him a small bow. "Good afternoon, Yeon Seok hyung.” He replied back respectively, “Congratulations on your new marriage.” He said, gritting his teeth. He had to remember to keep his composure, if he didn’t treat him fairly then the others would get wind of it and treat him worse. After all, he was now the last one.

Yeon Seok smirked, “Thank you very much. Are you free to just chat? I have some things I want to tell you.” He said. Jong Suk gestured for him to go first before they fell into step together. He had at least prepared some snacks for their chat, even if his mind was reeling from the suddenness of it. 

The table had been set up outside because the weather was forgiving and their coffee was separated by preference, cream for Yeon Seok, black for Jong Suk. He gestured for his cousin to sit down first and he waited to sit after him.

His cousin took one sip and sighed, Jong Suk knew exactly how all of his cousins took their coffees as they would always come by to gloat frequently. And they all thought he made it better than any of their servants ever did. “Well, I’m sure you know that your birthday will be approaching.” Yeon Seok said, cutting right to the chase.

Jong Suk carefully put his cup down for fear of smashing it in his anger. Biting his tongue, he responded carefully, “Yes it is next month.”

“And once the day after your birthday arrives, then the King will announce the competition for the throne.” He said, noticeably try to get Jong Suk in a fit of rage. He took another sip of coffee as a smug smile crossed his lips.

“Yes, I am well aware of that, hyung. But what is it that you really want to say?” Jong Suk asked as politely as he could. He was getting tired of them, trying to get rid of him, he needed to get them out and stop them from interfering some more.

“You do not have a fiancee and how do you expect to marry someone in one month?” Yeon Seok replied, leaning back. His relaxed pose just bugged Jong Suk even further. He had to wipe that smile off Yeon Seok’s face if it was the last thing he did.

Jong Suk shrugged, playing his part well, “What makes you think I don’t have a fiancee?” He leaned back in his chair as well, taking on the very same relaxed pose.

This time Yeon Seok put his cup down with pause, “Are you saying that you do? Why haven’t you introduced the world to her yet? Wouldn’t your public want to know?” He asked, eagerly eating up the story that Jong Suk wished to tell him.

Jong Suk narrowed his eyes at his cousin slightly, “Why? So you can scare her off again? Besides, I want it to be a surprise, I’ll be sure to send you pictures.” He said casually.

Yeon Seok gave another proud smile, “You’re lying, aren’t you? There’s no way you found a fiancee that fast after I married your last one.” He countered, letting his true character slip for a moment.

Jong Suk felt his anger boil up within him again but one look from his butler, who had just arrived to pour more coffee into their cups, settled him down. “No, really. I have a fiancee. I found her right after you took Jae Mi away.” He said.

Yeon Seok refused the fresh pour and stood up, forcing Jong Suk to stand up as well out of respect, “Very well. It’ll be a pleasure to meet her when she moves in with you, I’m sure you’ll be moving her in next week, I’ll stop by again.” He said, smiling, before rushing off. 

The moment Yeon Seok was gone for good, Jong Suk let out the most tortured noise as he fell into his chair. “Where am I going to find the right girl in a week?” He groaned.

“I told you not to let him get under your skin, sir.” His butler said, starting to clean up the table. “But for now, just go wander about the town in your true skin. No one has seen you since puberty when your cousins started the rumors. I’m sure if you dress down, no one will recognize you. You can see all the potential women in town then.” He advised.

Jong Suk looked him in shock, “Every girl I’ve tried to marry so far has been of royal blood. You want me to search the town now?” He asked, “I’m not saying it’s ludicrous for me to marry a non-royal, but this whole time, we went for royalty.” 

His butler sighed, “You’re right, we did. But your brothers always knew right away when you wanted the girl. They even managed to find out when you wooed some non-royals as well. This way, you get to have some secrecy if she’s a non-royal and you find her in town, especially in your kingdom. The other times were their people so the gossip spread fast.” He explained, “Just give this idea one chance, after all, if you can’t find the girl this way, then you have no hope."

Jong Suk covered his face in his palms, as much as he hated the idea of going to his own citizens, he had no choice. But they knew the worst of rumors about him and he would have to try hard to convince the girl’s family once he found her. “Fine. I’ll take my leave.”


Author's Note;;
I FINISHED PINOCCHIO <3
All the feels :3 I'm a new Darling couple shipper :D
But I mean I also kinda want Lee Jong Suk but then idk. CONFLICTED.
I guess if anyone had to have him I would want PSH to get him. :o She's tall :D
Enjoy this first chapter :D I figured out some things <3
Btw, cameos are gonna actors. :o mostly. I think lol. :D