Divine Intervention

Hearts on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Divine Intervention

            Ryeowook’s phone began to ring as he set down his bag and he looked at the screen.  Kyuhyun.  His heart began to beat faster and he quickly answered the phone, not knowing what to expect.

            “Hello?”

            “Tell me right now if you’ve changed your mind and you’re not interested in me,” Kyuhyun demanded.  “Because I’ve been dying to meet you all this time and if you’re just playing games with me, then I—”

            “I want to go out with you,” Ryeowook quickly informed him, surprising even himself with his straightforwardness.

            Kyuhyun sighed.  “Then why did you run away?”

            “You told me yourself that if you met me now, you’ll never finish writing your story.  Isn’t that right?” Ryeowook asked.

            “Yes, I said that,” Kyuhyun confirmed. 

            “So promise me that you won’t come back to the school to find me until it’s done,” Ryeowook said.  “I don’t want to be the one responsible for making you finish it late.”

            “I promise not to return to the school,” Kyuhyun said, “but we’ve already run into each other a couple times by accident before we were aware of each other’s identities.  If we coincidentally bump into each other again, I’m going to consider that some version of divine intervention and treat it as if it’s meant to happen.  Understand?”

            “Fair enough,” Ryeowook agreed, sitting down on the sofa.  “So…you’re still interested in me, even though I’m the idiot that almost got myself run over by the bus.”

            “You don’t know how many times I flipped out about that on the way home—how if I would have been any earlier or later, I wouldn’t have been there to save you—and it makes me a little sick to think about.  Victoria was late picking me up because she had to fix her hair and I gave her nothing but grief about it all the way to the bookstore.  Once she finds out that you’re the guy I stopped from crossing the street, she’s never going to let me live that down.  I’m never going to be able to say about her showing up late ever again,” he said. 

            “All my fault,” Ryeowook admitted, laughing.

            “It’s not funny.  If she would have been on time, you’d be dead right now!” Kyuhyun said.

            “I know,” Ryeowook said.  “But I’m not, so quit dwelling on it.”

            “This whole situation is insane, you know that?” Kyuhyun said, clearly confused and frustrated.

            “We’ve met under strange circumstances.”

            “Technically speaking, we’ve never been introduced to each other and the crazy part is I’m already in love with you,” Kyuhyun told him.

            Ryeowook’s mouth dropped open.  He was so shocked, he was speechless.

            “Are you still there?”

            “Y-yes,” Ryeowook stammered.

            “Did you hear me?” he asked.  “I just told you I love you.”

            “Oh my God,” Ryeowook said, his hand beginning to shake.

            “Now you know what you’re dealing with when we do see each other again,” Kyuhyun informed him.  “And I’m not going to let you shy away from me again.”

            “Kyuhyun.”

            “What?”

            Ryeowook took a deep breath and let it out.  “I love you, too.  Hurry up and finish your damn book so we can meet.”

           

Four days later…

            Yesung opened the door of Kyuhyun’s room and peeked in at him.  The lovesick man was still lying on top of his bed, staring at the ceiling.  Yesung frowned and closed the door.  “This isn’t good,” he mumbled to himself, heading back into the living room.  He fished out his cellphone, about to call Sungmin to ask him for advice on what to do.  Kyuhyun clearly had some kind of writer’s block ever since the day he’d almost met Ryeowook and had been in a daze since.  He was beginning to wonder if it would just be best if they were introduced to each other.  Just as he was about to dial Sungmin’s number, there was a knock at the door. 

            He walked over to the door and looked through the peephole.  Then he yelped.  “Victoria!”  It was too late to pretend he wasn’t home, she’d have heard him, he realized.  He looked from the door to Kyuhyun’s bedroom.  There was no way to warn his friend without taking too long and making his agent suspicious.  He’d just have to open the door and deal with her.  Yesung turned the knob and pulled open the door, smiling sweetly at her. 

            For how small and stunning the woman was, she could look pretty scary when she wanted to and this was one of those moments.  Victoria scowled at Yesung and glared at him, not a hint of happiness on her features.  Her arms were crossed in front of her and her red shoe was tapping in impatience. 

            “Victoria!” he said, acting pleased to see her.  “What brings you here?”

            “The lack of a final chapter,” she said, shoving past Yesung and heading straight for Kyuhyun’s room.  Victoria barged into Kyuhyun’s room and stopped at seeing him lying on the bed, lost in his thoughts.  She turned to Yesung.  “What’s wrong with him?”

            “Um, well…”

            “Hey, Vic,” Kyuhyun said, sitting up when he finally noticed her.

            “Don’t look happy to see me!  Where’s the end of the story?” she asked.

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “Everything’s a fog right now.”

            “Are you sick or something?” she asked, her eyes narrowing as she stared at him.

            Yesung exited the room.  Kyuhyun had been staying there for over a month now and he knew this was going to get a hell of a lot worse unless he called up for some backup.  Thankfully, he discovered a weakness of the agent’s one of the last times she was there.  Kyuhyun’s best friend just happened to live down the street from him and was over visiting one time when she popped in for a surprise visit, but it was Victoria that was caught off guard by the gorgeous, single man who she hadn’t expected to see.  Odds were, if he magically appeared again, the affect would be the same.  Yesung quickly dialed his number and prayed he was home.

            “Hey, I need your help,” Yesung began, smiling.  “You’re best friend is in trouble and I think only you can save him at this point.  Remember that y little agent of his that you liked so much?  Well she’s here giving him a hard time.  Want to come rescue him?  Thanks, buddy.” 

            Less than ten minutes later there was a knock on Yesung’s door and he quickly answered it.  Changmin strolled into the apartment, all dressed up.  Even Yesung was impressed.  “You outdid yourself today.”

            “You said it was a matter of life or death,” Changmin said, str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter