Plans and Schemes

Hearts on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Plans and Schemes

            When Ryeowook’s alarm went off at six-thirty in the morning, he was tempted to throw the damn thing across the room and roll back over.  He’d gotten, at best, an hour of sleep.  Even worse, Kyuhyun was still lying in bed next to him, warm and inviting.  Nothing in the world sounded better than staying in bed with his y new boyfriend.  Ryeowook groaned, more in mental agony than physical, and pulled the bed covers away from him.  Then he sat up and scoot over to the side of his bed.  Why did his life have to give him choices between being a selfish person and a responsible adult?  His brother had managed to find a job that allowed him to be both at once.

            “I should really reconsider my life choices,” he grumbled to himself.

            Kyuhyun began laughing from behind him.  “Which ones, specifically?”

            Ryeowook glanced back at him over his shoulder.  “The one where I have to get up at the crack of dawn, drive across town in rush hour traffic, and then teach English to moody teenagers all day.”

            “Oh good!” Kyuhyun said, stretching.  “I was worried you were talking about me for a minute.”

            “I was talking about having to leave the bed when you’re still in it,” he whined, getting up and turning on the light on the nightstand. 

            Kyuhyun closed his eyes at the bothersome light.

            “Sorry.  I’ll turn it off in a moment.  I just have to figure out what I’m going to wear today.”

            “No, that’s all right.  I think I’ll just get up,” Kyuhyun said, sitting up.

            Ryeowook gave him a curious look.  “Why would you do that?  You probably got less sleep than me.  I think I drifted off for a little while before you joined me in bed last night, at least.”

            “The sooner I get accustomed to your schedule, the better.  If I wake up when you do, I’ll be tired when you go to bed,” he reasoned.  “Then we’ll be on the same schedule.  If left to my own devices, I really don’t have any kind of set schedule at all.”

            Ryeowook smiled to himself, digging through the closet for dress pants and a shirt.  The fact that his new boyfriend wanted to adjust to his schedule was rather sweet.  It also meant that he intended to go to sleep with him at the same time, for the most part, so maybe there wouldn’t be series of sleepless nights in his future.  But if it came down to it, he was still pretty sure he was willing to sacrifice his rest if it meant finally having with his hot boyfriend.  Now that they’d almost done it, Ryeowook couldn’t stop thinking about anything else.

            “Besides, I have a story to finish editing.  Then I’ll send it to Victoria, she’ll tear it to shreds, I’ll write a short story about how she’s going to die a slow and miserable death, then I’ll edit the novel again.  And we’ll go back and forth like that until it’s perfect and it’s sent off to be published.  Might as well get started.”

            Ryeowook gathered his clothes into his arms.  “And exactly how many times have you written her off if your stories at this point?”

            “Dozens,” he admitted, getting up and grabbing a shirt out of his bag.  Ryeowook watched, a little too intently, as he put it on.  “That’s what we authors do when we’re pissed off at someone.  We kill them in our stories.”

            “Should I wonder how many times you’ve killed me off already?”

            Kyuhyun smirked and pat him in the as he headed for the door.  “I have better things to do to you in my stories than kill you.  I’ll make breakfast while you shower,” he said, winking at Ryeowook as he left the room.

            For a grown man who’d had his fair share of boyfriends and experimental lovemaking, Ryeowook found his cheeks burning at the thought of Kyuhyun writing exotic love scenes about him in a story.  Even if it wasn’t something he ever share with anyone else, the thought of a famous writer creating a character out of him and then creating scenes to match his fantasies had his mind reeling.  If he really had done something like that, he hoped to hell he would read them to him someday, but not until they’d actually made love.  It would just be torturous to hear about before then.

            Ryeowook headed to the bathroom and took the coldest shower he could stand, hurrying to clean so he could rejoin Kyuhyun in the kitchen.  He changed, took time to make sure his hair looked perfect, and then he even put on makeup.  His students were going to be whistling at him all day long.  He looked damn hot by the time he was done.  Then he hurried to the kitchen to see what Kyuhyun had made. 

            About two steps into the kitchen, he stopped cold and sniffed the air.  It smelled of burnt toast and coffee.  Looking around the kitchen was also a mistake, since about half the pans appeared to be lying around the counters, most of them dirty, which Ryeowook could not account for. 

            “Don’t ask!” Kyuhyun said, holding up his hands.  “I just said I’d cook breakfast.  I never claimed to actually be good at it.  So, there’s my best attempt.  Buttered toast, scrambled eggs, fried bacon, and coffee.”

            The plate of food on the counter mostly looked safe.  The toast was only a little burnt around the edges.  The eggs looked fine.  The bacon was a little overcooked and a little undercooked, depending on which piece it was.  The coffee, from the smell of it, seemed fine, but Ryeowook was still going to add a little cream to it. 

            “True,” Ryeowook said, sitting down on the stool.  “And I think this will still do just fine, as long as you promise to clean the kitchen yourself.  I don’t have enough time to help you.”

            Kyuhyun nodded and sat down beside him with his own plate.  His own pieces of toast were nearly charred black and his bacon was in even rougher shape than Ryeowook’s. 

            “Are you sure you don’t want some of my toast?”

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “I eat burnt crap like this all the time.  I’m not used to having anyone cook for me.”

            “You could at least make yourself new pieces.”

            “I used up the whole loaf,” he said, pointing to the tower of toasted bread beside the toaster.  “Trust me, these were the best in the group.  I’ll head to the grocery store sometime before you get back and pick some more up.”

            Ryeowook leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.  “I think I should probably do the cooking from now on.”

            “I’m not bad at everything,” Kyuhyun claimed, biting into his toast.

            Just then, Heechul shuffled into the room and scrunched his face.  “Is the apartment burning down?”

            “No, Kyuhyun cooked breakfast,” Ryeowook informed him.

            Heechul meandered over to the stack of toast and picked up the top piece.  He began to bang it against the counter.  Then he tossed the charred rock into the trash.  “What the hell am I supposed to eat?”

            “If you don’t want what Kyuhyun’s made us for breakfast, you can always make something yourself,” Ryeowook reminded him.  “It’s not my job to cook for you.”

            Heechul glared at him.  “You’re lucky I’m hungover and I’m not very hungry.”  Despite saying as much, he still filled a plate with scrambled eggs and the remaining pieces of bacon.  Then he poured himself a half cup of coffee, filled most of the rest of it with cream, and wondered back to his room without bothering to speak another word to them. 

            Ryeowook was done eating after watching his brother wander around the room, ing to himself about Kyuhyun’s horrid cooking.  “I think I’ve changed my mind.  Maybe I will have you make breakfast every morning.  Heechul will move out faster that way.”

            “You want me to make breakfast because I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter