Close Calls

Hearts on the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Close Calls

            Ryeowook had to tell someone about what was going on and Heechul didn’t seem the most logical outlet, so he headed over to the art museum late in the morning to see if Sungmin was free for lunch.  The workers waved him in and called into Sungmin’s office to let him know that Ryeowook was on his way.  A minute later, Sungmin was sitting at his desk writing out paperwork as Ryeowook entered. 

            “Wookie!  You’re here kind of early in the day,” Sungmin said.

            “I had to fight the urge to come at dawn because I never went to bed last night,” Ryeowook admitted.

            “What were you doing all night?” Sungmin asked, quirking his brow.

            “I was on the phone with Kyuhyun,” he admitted.

            There was a loud thumping from underneath the desk and Ryeowook gave Sungmin a quizzical look.  “What was that?”

            “I just bumped my knee,” Sungmin said.  “So you stayed up talking to Kyuhyun all night?  You must have been having some pretty interesting conversation.  Things seem to be going well between the two of you.”

            “Minnie…you’ll probably think this sounds crazy…but I think I might be in love,” Ryeowook confessed.

            These was another loud noise from under the desk and Sungmin shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  “Sorry.  I changed the height of my chair and now whenever I move my legs, I bump my knees on the top of it.  I’ll probably have to change it back before I get bruised,” Sungmin said, stretching his leg out.  “Why do you think you’re in love?  You’ve never even met Kyuhyun yet.”

            “Actually, I have, only he doesn’t know it himself yet.  Heechul and I were buying clothes last week and I was carrying a bunch of boxes back to my car when I nearly walked out into traffic.  A bus would have run me over, but this guy reached out and pulled me back up on the curb.  Then I ran into him again yesterday on my way to Yesung’s apartment.  He was behind me in line at the café and started chatting with me.  So, when I went to Yesung’s, I noticed a picture of this same guy there and Yesung told me it was Kyuhyun!  I think I’m going to die of embarrassment the next time I see him, Sungmin.”

            “Embarrassment?  Why?”

            “Because I’m clearly spacey and you never warned me he was so hot,” Ryeowook said.

            “Actually, I warned you from the beginning that he was just your type,” Sungmin argued.

            “I looked at an older picture of him and thought he was decent enough, certainly, but he’s so damn y in person!” Ryeowook said.  “What is he going to think when he realizes that the idiot he had to save from getting hit by a bus is the same guy he’s been flirting with on the phone for the last couple weeks?”

            There was another thud from below the desk and Sungmin moved his legs around, but he pretended nothing had happened this time.  “He’s going to be relieved that he saved your life!”

            “He’s probably going to lose interest in me,” Ryeowook said, beginning to pace in front of Sungmin’s desk.

            Sungmin smiled and shook his head.  “He’s not going to lose interest in you.  If anything, he’ll probably become even more intrigued by you.  Talking to each other until morning on the phone is a sign that he’s into you, dummy.”

            “But what if he’s not attracted to me,” Ryeowook said.  “He never acted like he was attracted to me the two times we met.”

            “That’s because he’s got a crush on some guy he’s talking to on the phone,” Sungmin pointed out.  “He’s the type of guy who doesn’t pay attention to other men when he’s into someone already.  Trust me.”

            “You seem to know an awful lot about him,” Ryeowook pointed out.

            “Well, I’ve met up with him a couple times since he’s been Yesung’s roommate,” Sungmin said, tapping the top of his desk with his fingers.  “How about this?  If you want to talk more about your new man, let’s have lunch and get the hell out of the office.  I just have to make one last phone call before I head out.  Do you want to head to the bistro down the street and get a table before the noon rush starts and I’ll meet you there in a few minutes?  Then we can discuss what the two of you talked about last night.”

            “Sure,” Ryeowook said, heading for the door.

            “Try to get the corner spot by the window, if it’s available,” Sungmin said.

            “Okay,” Ryeowook agreed, leaving the office.

 

            Sungmin backed up from his desk and Yesung crawled out of the spot designed for a person’s legs, glaring at him.  “Why the hell did you kick me?  I almost made a noise.”

            “You made plenty of noise before I kicked you.  Idiot!” Sungmin said, smirking as he watched Yesung stand up and dust off.  “Are you sure it just wou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter