A Hidden Kindness

Stringed Along

"So......" Jongup started as he stuffed his jacket and bag in his locker, "Junhong, huh?" 

 He closed his locker and turned to stare at Youngjae who peaked his head out from behind his locker door to give the younger male a look.

 "Leave it," the elder muttered under his breath as he slammed his locker shut(whatever conclusion Jongup came up with; he surely seems intrigued enough to poke around). It was already too much trouble taking care of the newbie, he can't possibly be bothered by any more than that.

"If you say so," the younger male cooed with obvious amusement in his voice, and Youngjae could only roll his eyes as he followed Jongup out. Sure the kid was sweet but innocence can only go so far and Jongup always has an annoying teasing streak whenever he has the chance.

"Speaking of Junhong," Jongup started as he slapped on a piece of paper on the notice board they had at the corner of the store. "I was thinking of adopting one of the kittens he found," he continued, earning a raised brow from the elder male as he read 'FOR ADOPTION' in bold letters above a grainy picture of the kittens. 

"What did Himchan hyung say?" He asked, merely out of curiousity, for a clueless Jongup and a fussy Himchan taking care of a kitten was something he wouldn't want to miss out on. 

"I didn't ask him yet," Jongup shrugged, earning yet another raised brow from Youngjae-- that's interesting, " hyung has been spending a lot of time at Yongguk hyung's place nowadays, he might as well live there," Jongup said absently as he smiled up at his handywork (whether or not Jongup was clueless of the whole Himchan-Yongguk situation, Youngjae couldn't tell-- the kid is more insightful than he deemed to be, afterall).

"But I think it would be nice," Jongup said as he walked on to his next task, "to have a pet kitten around," the younger smiled. Youngjae went on to man the counter, opting to forget about the kittens and minding his own business.

But life has a tendency to not follow plans and disrupt Youngjae's peace as a pair of glinting eyes followed his every move around the shop. 

He tried his best to ignore the feline with its mockingly sweet, big eyes, bushy tail and constant mewling as it followed him around the shop, but its starting to gain him unwanted attention and consistent teasing from Jongup-- and somehow from Daehyun and Himchan as well.

One kitten had been adopted by a family of four that lived two blocks away from the shop and another was kept by Jongup in his (apparently) shared apartment with Himchan (who really should just move in with Yongguk-- the two were just simply too obvious to try and deny their situation to begin with), leaving a white spotted, brown feline to follow Youngjae arround his busy working hours.

He had been glaring at Junhong the whole week and the younger merely cowers away from him as he did his chores in the shop, failing miserably at hiding his grins and snickers, which only adds on to Youngjae's piling frustration.

"I'm taking my break," Youngjae muttered as he left for the locker room, very much aware of the fact that there were no eyes or a furry tail swinging along from behind him. He looked around the small store, not sure if he should be relieved or scared, to not know where the small feline is.

He entered the locker room to grab a small snack and laze around when he saw Junhong with his long and lanky limbs sprawled on the only couch in their locker room. On his chest, was the small ball of fur, curled and purring against the sleeping boy's large hands. 

Youngjae snickered at how uncomfortable the younger looked despite taking over a pretty big couch (see, being tall isn't everything). His head rested on the arm that somehow put his neck in an unsettling strain, a long leg stretched to take over the rest of the furniture, and an arm left danggling off the side of the couch to the floor. How someone-- anyone can sleep in such a position, Youngjae didn't know, but he took pity on the younger, stuffing the lone pillow in their locker room (that the kid--somehow-- ingeniously put under his left leg) underneath the latter's neck.

The younger no longer recoiled to Youngjae's stares (which relieved the elder, although he'd never admit it) and was more comfortable working around the shop, which means he needed less supervision (and less work for Youngjae).

He still didn't talk to Youngjae as much as he did to Jongup, but the former figured just as much. Junhong working around him without avoiding or cowering was already an achievement, after all. 

Having no space to sit, Youngjae slumped on the floor across the couch, facing the younger male with a sandwich Jongup gave him(the kid surprisingly made decent sandwiches despite the bizzare choices and combinations and Youngjae learned to stop questioning) in hand. He whipped his phone out and spent his time online, searching for anything interesting to look at. 

Watching an anime that he and Jongup just recently got into; he failed to note as the small ball of fur uncurled and made its way towards him; until he felt the familiar sense of eyes staring at him. He paused his video, sandwich in hand as he slowly looked up to find Junhong still sound asleep before turning to his side to find the kitten silently sitting and observing him. Why it did that, Youngjae had no clue and decided; whatever, screw everything--as he reached a hand out to the hesitating feline. 

It stared at him with weary eyes as it slowly moved closer to his outstretched hand. Youngjae chuckled as the kitten jumped in surprise when he first its head. Both leaned closer to the other until eventually, Youngjae had the kitten on his lap. 

His anime can wait (it's not going anywhere) so he ditched his phone and played with the kitten on his lap. It wasn't really so bad (maybe the kitten was karma for his staring spree with Junhong) and the kitten was adorable. The silence was nice and Youngjae tried to keep his chuckles low to not wake the younger male up but was interrupted by his alarm, indicating the end of his break.

He flinched as he fumbled to turn his alarm off and looked up to see a frazzled Junhong staring at him with the kitten cuddled on his lap(damn it). The younger blinked a couple times and Youngjae stayed frozen in his spot, staring back at Junhong, his eyes wide in shock. 

"How long are the two of y--" Jongup started as he opened the door, stopping mid sentence as he stared at Youngjae and Junhong back and forth. 

"Sorry," he muttered before retreating and hurriedly closing the door behind him. 

" ," Junhong muttered as he stretched his body and got up " my break ended half an hour ago," he hastily got up and hurried for the door. With one foot out, he turned back to Youngjae with the kitten still on his lap; "Want to come over after work?"

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Long time no update! Sorry it took so much tears, sweat, tears and a LOT of pushing for this to come [email protected]* I hope you enjoyed this! Till my next update! ^^

-onewdub