Before it's too late

The only one for me

 

 

Hyomin kept staring at her phone for a while, waiting for particular someone to text her message asking how she was, but to her disappointment, no single message from the other girl. She felt so upset to be ignored by her sister, the more she thought about it the sadder she was. Although all day long she enjoyed catching up with her friends, but at the end of the day her thought would be drifted to someone she missed a lot, Eunjung. Hyomin was mad at her sister for scolding at her, but just one apology, she would be more than happy to forgive her.

“You don’t really care huh?” Hyomin whispered, looking out to the sea from hotel room balcony.

“You know you guys are both weird” Qri walked to join Hyomin at the balcony holding can of beer, Hyomin raised her eyebrows to Qri’s comment.

 “You and your sister are similarly weird though not being blood related” Qri continued.

“Hey, you can criticize about me but not Eunjung unnie, she’s not weird” Hyomin defended

“Wow, so defensive over her huh?” Qri smirked, Hyomin pouted, didn’t know what to argue.

“You guys had a fight, right?” Qri asked 

“How did you know?” Hyomin asked, puzzled

“You know she is worried about you” Qri stated, didn’t really answer the question, Hyomin looked at Qri searching for answer.

 “Well, she called me yesterday to ask if you were fine, she didn’t dare to call you for she was afraid you might not talk to her” Qri explained, recalled about the conversation with Eunjung.

“She called you?” Hyomin expected the answer

“Yes” Qri confirmed,  Hyomin unconsciously smiled and it didn’t go unnoticed by Qri

“Just call her already, it’s not going to hurt your pride” Qri suggested, through she knew how stubborn her friend was.

“Hm, let me think about it” Hyomin replied, she actually thought about that too but she held herself back. 

“Well, don’t you join them at dinner tonight?” Qri asked.

“No, let them have their time alone, and I’m so tired today”

“Ok, let have a drink in hotel then” Qri suggested, passing a can of beer from another hand to Hyomin.

“Thank you” Hyomin accepted beer from Qri

“Cheers! For dumb and dumber, Hampark sisters” Qri said

 “Yah, we are not dumb” Hyomin brawled, playfully hitting Qri’s arm, Qri just laughed, she knew her sense was right about these two sisters.

 

 

********************

 

Eunjung couldn’t wait for Hyomin to come home, it has been only few days but each day was longer without Hyomin. She started getting used to have Hyomin walking in and out her office without knocking on the door, occupying in her sofa, bickering with her at lunch time. She used to overwork herself and it made time pass faster so she could return home to have dinner with Hyomin at night, but things changed when Hyomin started to work and spent more time with her and it wasn’t same without Hyomin around.  

She has been calling Qri every day to check on Hyomin, and every time Hyomin seemed to stick with a girl named Sunny, her curiosity was killing her, she was restless , this time her curiosity won her consciousness   

 

Flashback

“Qri, may I asked you something?” Eunjung mustered her courage to ask Qri

“Depend on what it is” Qri said coolly

 “Who is Sunny?” Eunjung asked, straight to the point, she prepared herself for the answer.

“Sunny , you meant Lee Sunny ? She is Hyomin’s childhood best friend”

“Childhood friend? Eunjung asked, puzzled

“Yes, she’s her childhood best friend, she moved to State when she was 15 years old” Qri explained

Eunjung tried to recall her memory about the girl named Sunny, she thought she knew most of Hyomin’s friends but this name was unfamiliar.

“Oh, her Korean name was Sunkyu” Qri reminded, and it rang a bell on Eunjung’s head.  

“She is back to Korea to meet her finance’s parents that why we are here in Jeju to accompany her” Qri continued. Eunjung tried to digest the information told by Qri, she was unconsciously smiling, relieved.

“Ah I see, thank you” Eunjung tried to hide her excitement, “ So  all of you are coming back tomorrow right?”

 “Yes, evening flight” Qri stated

“Have a good journey and see you around Qri”

“Thank you” Qri said

“Thank to you, too” Eunjung said smiling.

End of Flashback

 

********************

 

Eunjung went back home to prepare dinner for Hyomin because she should be home by dinner time.

“Any special occasion today miss Eunjung?” Mi Sook asked a happy Eunjung who was preparing some Korean dishes.

“Not really ahjumma, Hyomin is coming home today, so I want to make her delicious food” She replied, proud of her cooking, Mi Sook was happy to see her agasshi all smiling.

“What’s time she coming?” Mi Sook asked

“Hm, I’m not really sure, maybe 8 pm” Eunjung answered uncertainly

“You didn’t her?” Mi Sook asked, Eunjung shook her head.

 

Eunjung kept looking at her watch for the ninth time, it was already 9.30 pm but no sign of Hyomin, she looked at her watch one last time and made a phone call to  Qri and found out that Qri and other friends already arrived in Seoul but Hyomin canceled her fight two hours before departure time and decided to stay a bit longer, Eunjung felt so disappointed and upset that her sister didn’t even make a call or text her to let her know about this , she didn’t care that Eunjung was waiting for her to come home. She left the dining table and told the maid to clear up all food, she wasn’t hungry anymore.

Eunjung was typing the message multiple times but ended up deleting all “You don’t know how much I missed you, Sunyoung ah” Eunjung said and threw her phone on her bed.

 

********************

 

Hyomin made up her mind to stay in Jeju for another few days, she wanted to text her sister to let her know about her extended stay but Eunjung never texted her since she came here so she chose not to.

The past couple days was really busy for them, Hyomin and Qri accompanied Sunny and her finance Taeyeon everywhere for a formal visit. Hyomin got a call from Sunny last two weeks that she was coming home with her fiancé who turned out to be Hyomin’s and Qri’s friend at university, they spent good time catching up and reuniting because Sunny didn’t return hometown since she left for State, and because of their different lifestyles, they lost contact for some years.

After sending her friends off to Seoul, Hyomin returned to hotel and rent a car to roam around Jeju island the next day to relax herself, she remembered coming here with her father when she was a kid.

Hyomin sat under a big tree at a local school, reminiscing of her childhood time when her father was her everything. As a rich kid who was pampered by her father and maids and surrounded by insincere friends, she became spoiled and unconsciously built up the wall in her heart and not let people in, until Eunjung and her mother came into her life, they slowly broke those walls, especially Eunjung who won her heart without a doubt. She remembered how she cried in Eunjung’s arm every night for a first few months that her father passed away, Eunjung became her pillar of strength and only person she could run to. Until a night that they kissed and made Eunjung estrange from her, but she never regretted doing so because it made her realize that she fell for her sister and if she could turn back time, she would not change what happened that night, though it hurt so much she still loved Eunjung more than sister.

 

As it was getting dusk, Hyomin decided to drive back to her hotel, she went up to her room for a good shower, then  a hotel receptionist called to her room to inform her that there was a guest waiting for her in lobby, she wondered who was that person could be so she decided to come down to lobby.

Hyomin looked around the hotel lobby for the person the receptionist mentioned, and to her surprise Eunjung was there smiling at her.

“Unnie !”  Hyomin greeted, really surprised.

“Why are you here?” Hyomin asked, puzzled and didn’t believe her eyes.

“I come here to take my sister home” Eunjung replied smiling , Hyomin didn’t know whether to be happy or shocked, she stood still and then Eunjung brought her for a hug.

“You spoiled kid, why don’t you go back home, I missed you” Eunjung confessed, and it made Hyomin heart raced rapidly.

“You missed me?” Hyomin asked, making sure she didn’t mishear it.

“I miss you, Sunyoung ah, I really do” Eunjung confirmed, tightening the hug.

“I miss you too” Hyomin beamed, she never knew Eunjung’s words could mean so much.

“I’m sorry for making you mad but please don’t leave me like this, you are making me crazy” Eunjung didn’t hold it back anymore.

“Unnie” Hyomin was surprised of her sister’s outburst, Eunjung released the hug and looked into Hyomin’s eyes

“You know home is not a home without you and my day is so much longer without you around” Eunjung said and Hyomin listened to it carefully.

“This unnie was a pabo, and hurt you so much before” Eunjung continued, “ But I hope it’s not too late to ask for my chance to love you the way you want me to” Eunjung confessed, Hyomin couldn’t hold back her tear anymore, it was falling freely, but this time it was happy tear,she couldn’t speak, this was beyond her expectation, she only nodded.

“I love you Sunyoung” Eunjung gently wiped away Hyomin’s tear with her thumbs

 “I love you too” Hyomin smiled with her tear.

 

Flashback

This morning

 Eunjung couldn’t concentrate at her work, she kept thinking about her nightmare last night; In her dream, her parents and Hyomin were holding each other hand and walked away from her, she tried to call them but they couldn’t hear her and reached them but they were out of her reach and disappeared.

 She was being worried sick about Hyomin and not hearing any words from her didn’t help it either. She tried to distract herself by inviting Gayoon and Ji-hyun for lunch with her but they were just being too lovey-dovey in front of her, and she regretted inviting them for lunch.

After lunch, Eunjung told her secretary to book her a flight to Jeju, and tried to clear all work, as well as cancelled all meetings for a next couple of days, Gayoon was puzzled when her boss informed her she would be away for holiday for a few days since she started working here her boss never made any rush decision like this before.

As soon as she arrived in Jeju, she asked the airport taxi to drop her at the hotel that Qri told her. She was patiently waiting for her sister to come down from her room and as soon as she saw Hyomin, she knew it right that moment where her happiness was, and she wouldn’t let go her chance now.  

End of Flashback

 

********************

At Hotel

 

“Good morning my princess” Eunjung said as Hyomin was waking up from her peaceful sleep, it was a wonderful sleep in a very long time. Eunjung bent over to kiss her temple and pecked her on the lips, Hyomin looked into Eunjung’s eyes and lost in them, she couldn’t believe this was real, the girl in front of her now was her lover.

“Rise and shine my love” Eunjung said melodically playing with Hyomin’s soft hand , Hyomin couldn’t help but smiled of how sweet of her newly proclaimed lover was.

“I don’t want to get up yet, can we stay like this a bit longer?” Hyomin begged with puppy eyes, and Eunjung couldn’t resist it, she pecked on Hyomin’s lips again.

“ As you wish my princess” Eunjung held Hyomin in her embrace, they felt complete in each other arms, Hyomin rested her chin on Eunjung’s shoulder .

 

After late breakfast, Eunjung and Hyomin drove a car toseed field, they stopped the car on roadside and walked hand in hand to yellowseed field, Hyomin was cheerfully dragged Eunjung along the field. Eunjung realized this what she wanted for Hyomin, to see the girl all smiling and happy with no one else but her.

They went for a drive around the island, strolling along foreshore at night, having fancy dinner, enjoyed their two days holiday at fullest and then flew home. Once they arrived in Seoul, Eunjung and Hyomin went to their parents’ grave.

“ Appa, omma, if you’re looking us from above, please give us your blessing” Eunjung said holding Hyomin’s hand tight

“ I can’t be a good sister but I promise I’ll be a good lover and take care of Hyomin as best as I can” Eunjung continued.

“ Appa,omma, I love Eunjung unnie and she loves me too, so don’t worry about us, we’ll always be here for each other now and forever” Hyomin said audibly, Eunjung looked into Hyomin’s eyes.

 Suddenly , dropping fell from above, it was raining , Hyomin looked up the sky and smiled while Eunjung quickly took off her jacket to cover Hyomin’s head

“Let’s go our home” Eunjung suggested afraid that Hyomin might get cold, but Hyomin didn’t move, she stood there smiling.

“This is our parents’ blessing” Hyomin dreamily announced, “ They are happy for us” Hyomin said . Eunjung tried to comprehend what Hyomin said

“Let’s dance in the rain” Hyomin took Eunjung’s hands and started the pace, Eunjung smiled and followed the move. Through Eunjung wanted to stop Hyomin and led her to the car but seeing how happy Hyomin was , she couldn’t broke the moment. They were now dancing in the rain.

“I love you Sunyoung” Eunjung said

“I love you too, Eunjung unnie” Hyomin replied, Eunjung cupped her face and kissed her gently

 

**********************

At Park Mansion

“Achoo” Hyomin sneezed; she was lying in her bed with thermometer in .

“I shouldn’t have let you play in the rain” Eunjung frowned as she removed thermometer from Hyomin’s mouth and checked

“It was fun unnie” Hyomin said smiling despite her pale face.

“I swear this will be the last time I’ll let you do something like this” Eunjung sternly proclaimed

 “You are not fun” Hyomin complained

“You are getting sick is not fun for me” Eunjung became serious; Hyomin pouted, she just wanted to lighten up Eunjung’s mood because she has been worried way too much.

Eunjung wanted to be strict with Hyomin but she couldn’t resist her pout and those eyes that made her give in.

Eunjung brushed Hyomin’s hair strain from her face, though her pale face ached Eunjung’s heart, she still found Hyomin very beautiful, her brown eyes, little nose and mouth, her heart skipped its beat every time she looked at it,she moved closer and kissed Hyomin’s lip.

“Eunjung unnie, you’ll catch cold from me!” Hyomin parted the kiss.

“See? You wouldn’t want me to get sick too” Eunjung said, “But I wouldn’t mind catching cold from you if it could take away your cold” Eunjung added, she brought Hyomin into her arms, Hyomin rested her head on Eunjung’s chest.

“It feels warmer now” Hyomin snuggled to Eunjung and fell asleep in her arms.

“ Sleep well Sunyoung ah, you will always wake up and have me by your side” Eunjung whispered to her ear.

 

 

THE END