Our Time?

My Time

Jessica sighed in boredom while tapping her pen on her notebook. Tiffany sat only a couple feet in front of her with her eyes completely focused on her textbooks and a pencil being held between her teeth.

"How can you stay so focused on schoolwork?" Jessica grimaced, "Don't you get bored?" Tiffany glanced up and chuckled. Her shoulders raised as well as her eyebrows and a muffled "not really" escaped her lips. Jessica pouted and began to draw on her papers.

"When was that pizza coming again?" Jessica's stomach grumbled and Tiffany began to laugh. "Just a little longer," Tiffany smiled at her best friend, "Don't worry."

Jessica nodded with a hum and resumed her nonsensical doodles. In the midst of her scribbling she couldn't help but peek over at the clock that stayed attached to her wrist. The clock that counted down to her and her soulmate's meeting.

Jessica was never much of a romanticist. The clock didn't mean much to her, as anyone could tell from the way she covered it by wrapping it with a piece of cloth. She could've already met her soulmate and missed her chance at love.

But that was okay to her. Jessica could hardly tell the difference between her feelings, anyway. All that mattered to her was that she had a best friend that she could talk to about everything and anything.

Tiffany, on the other hand, was one of the most romantic, loving people you could meet. She was the type of girl that oozed happiness with just a smile, and everyone could only hope that she was their soulmate. 

Tiffany couldn't wait until she was finally able to meet her significant other. She constantly checked her watch and sighed disappointingly when the time was nowhere near close. 

But today, something felt off. Maybe it was the way Jessica stared at her for a moment too long. Maybe it was the way Jessica spoke softer than she usually did. Maybe it was the way Tiffany could feel anxiousness forming in her stomach.

Maybe it was the way Tiffany instinctively checked her watch, only to see that she had merely 4 minutes left until she met her soulmate.

"What?!?" Tiffany's head jolted up and the pen fell from . Jessica snapped her eyes away and looked back at her best friend in suprise. "What? What?" Jessica rose her head from her fist and watched Tiffany look at herself in the mirror.

Tiffany turned around and shook her head, "No time! Get out!" She hurriedly began to push Jessica out of her room. Jessica resisted with furrowed eyebrows and protested that Tiffany tell her exactly what was happening.

"I'll tell you the details later!" Tiffany jumped, "Please, Jessi, just go!"

Jessica eyed her watch and couldn't see the numbers, but she knew what was happening.

"Your clock..?"

"Yes! Jessi, please." Tiffany begged with the puppy dog eyes that Jessica was far too familiar with. Jessica groaned and rolled her eyes, "Okay, okay, fine. But tell me EVERYTHING afterwards." She emphasized. Tiffany nodded with haste and shut the door as soon as Jessica made it outside.

Tiffany checked her watch. A minute and 30 seconds.

Oh my god, oh my god, Tiffany could feel her breath shortening as she made sure she looked okay. She fixed her messy hair that Jessica had been making fun of only hours ago. She fixed her shirt that Jessica had bought her went she went overseas with her family. 

Huh.

Tiffany shook her head as her clock approached 45 seconds.

What if my soulmate's the pizza delivery guy? Oh my god. It is. That's the only explanation. She inhaled deeply and watched her time count down, only seconds away from meeting the pizza guy.

10 seconds. Tiffany could feel her stomach twisting into knots. She constantly clenched and unclenched her fists as she stood in front of the door.

5 seconds. She ran her hand through her hair one last time and let out another nervous breath.

1 second. It's her time.

0 seconds. 

The doorbell rang and Tiffany stood dumbstruck for a moment, with sweaty palms and butterflies floating around her stomach. Her hand hovered over the doorknob before she pulled it open hastily with a wide, excited smile.

She became confused.

Jessica stood at the door with her hands resting in her pockets.

"Hey, sorry Tiff," She chuckled embarrassingly, "I forgot my phone."

Tiffany stared at Jessica with eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She swallowed even though was as dry as the Sahara Desert, the butterflies in her stomach didn't leave, and her palms were still moist with sweat.

Jessica leaned forward and waved her hand in front of her blank eyes. "Hello? Tiff?"

Tiffany couldn't even grasp what had just happened. She was sure her clock reached zero. She double-checked.

00:00:00

Tiffany looked up at Jessica with a gasp and an expression of disbelief. Jessica caught onto Tiffany's confusion and looked down at her watch that was still wrapped in cloth.

Jessica hurriedly ripped her wrappings and slid it from her wrist. Both girls' eyes glistened and Jessica's breathing became uneven when she had finally seen it.

00:00:00