05| kyungseo

Dribbles

Title: Little Did I Know

Characters: Seohyun, Kyungsoo

Summary: Of love that was lost and found


“Pianist Seo Juhyun to be wedded in July!” Kyungsoo puts down the newspaper after glancing through the headlines. What was he thinking, when it was him who was attracted to her – that one-sided love. Whoever said the most hardworking and persistent one will always be the winner of it all? He tried to hold back his tears, and mustered all that strength that he had left in him to go on that stage. Ironically, tonight was his first ever solo concert – the most important night that he knew he had prepared so hard for… all for her.

----

“KYUNGSOO SARANGHAE!!!” “OPPPPAAAAA!!!!” “KYAAAA!!!!” all sorts of screaming and wails were heard, he was panting and drops of perspiration was falling down from his forehead – but he could no longer be bothered. He took in a deep breath, “the last song for tonight is a cover of Chinese singer JJ Lim – Now That She’s Gone”.

He positioned himself in front of the mic stand. As soon as the intro music played through his ear piece, he grasped on tightly to the mic – he needed that extra support, and then he started singing.

Girl you know I miss you so
I didn't know you had to go
You've had enough of our distance baby
Before I had the chance to say
I'm staying with you
For the rest of my life Oh Oh~

He shut his eyes tightly, as memories of them flooded in – her smile, her scent and everything about her. She was… no, she IS perfect. The times when they hung out at the library; the times when he shared his favourite books and readings with her, oh how she would laugh and giggle at the silly things that he would do for her in order to cheer her up. Those happy times… until he started distancing himself from her because of his temporary breakdown – he was too weak emotionally and felt that everything was too stressful and painful for him… that he started pushing her away.

Don't keep telling me these words
You don't know how much it hurts Woo
And I'll promise you eternity
If you promise me your stay
But now it's too late
I'm no longer the man that I was

He opened his eyes, tears threatening to fall. Below the stage, all everyone could see was an emotional singer, pouring his heart out into his one last song at his first solo concert. He silently thanked the glaring spotlight for once in his entire life on stage – they were so strong that it was able to camouflage the tears as perspiration.

Her assurance to him was a stab in his heart then, he felt worthless and useless – the inability to protect her and fend for her put him into an unending cycle of self-blame for a month. During this period of time, her parents had already set up an arranged marriage for her… it broke him even further, when he found out about the news through a mutual friend; and especially when he finally got over himself and decided that he would do anything to be with her, to fight for her and to be with her.

I will go on without her
Like a fool who's too sure
I'm like a bird who's lost her wing
A fire without its flame
I don't know how to be strong
When my love has to move on
I am a song without a soul
Now that she's gone
What's left of us is this song

He wavered a little and started breathing heavily after the chorus. He stepped away from the mica little as he tried to collect his thoughts and calm himself down – he had to finish this song, as one last song for her. He had to move on, and he will move on right after this song. He smiled at his fans and waved at them, while in his head he was laughing at his own misery.

This is our song without a soul
Now that you're gone
What's left of us in this song

As the music of the song came to an end, he closed his eyes to hold back the tears. Finally, the time had come. It was silly of him to choose this song as his last item at his solo concert, but it was also his true feelings; that he had to leave his feelings behind – in that song. With a long bow, he ended his concert and disappeared with the darkness that started engulfing the stage.

---

At the back stage, he went into his waiting room and closed the door behind him. He needed to be alone – and he had 30 minutes to do so before his manager goes in to get him. He started to pack his stuffs. Clearing things and organizing spaces had always managed to calm him down – it worked fully… until something in front of his mirror caught his eye. It was his favourite book, the one where she would laugh at him for because it was a picture book – The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein – at that moment in time he felt that it was everything to him, that he was also incomplete until he found her.

He was shaking as he reached for it and as he flipped to the first page. Tears were glistening in his eyes as he traced his fingers over the neat and beautiful written words – her words:

Little did I know that I almost let you go
Until I caught a glimpse of life without you*

“How?” he asked, as a tear rolled down his cheek. “Because I was never getting married,” a soft and gentle voice appeared from behind him. He turned to find Juhyun, eyes puffy and hair in a mess, dressed all too casually (in a mismatched sweat shirt and pants) in front of him. She was looking right at him with a sad smile, “how can I let go of the 5 years we have been together so easily…?” Before she could continue, he took a big leap forward and pulled her into his embrace. "We are both fools," he whispered into her ears, and they both smiled. 

-----

A/N: This is a really quick one that I put together in 2 hours. Introducing you three of my favourites in one short story! One of my favourite singers, one of my favourite picture books, and one of my favourite quotes. :) Hope you like it! 

* lyrics from Little Did I Know by Over the Rhine (x)