A Strange Occupation

Freak Show

Zico had called for a family meeting, claiming that, "BlockB has become so distant and biting towards each other recently! This calls for a reconciliation!"

-

"What are we doing here?" U-Kwon asked, still half-asleep and constantly falling off the hand he was resting his head on.

"Finding a job for Saeron, I bet," P.O guessed, still eager to perform the drunk giraffe in the corner of the room. The female in question's eyes proceeded to widen at an alarming rate, until Jaehyo noticed and commented:

"Are you sure you're human?"

Saeron looked offended for half a minute before turning her attention to Zico as he cleared his throat, "P.O's right..." he began, Saeron already making a break for the door to the waiting room.

-

"I refuse! No, wait, scratch that and reverse it. I outright refuse! I will not take upon a job with a circus company!" Saeron shouted, Taeil becoming more wary of her by the minute.

"If you would just listen I'm sure that-"

"No!" Saeron interrupted, "You'll probably just make me tame some ravenous beast or flip upside-down millions of times or-"

"For crying out loud!" U-Kwon shouted, startling everyone who had been watching the argument unfold in the middle of the circus' trailer park, "We're not making you do anything like that! You're an acting student, right?"

"Well, yeah, but-" Saeron began, suddenly confused.

"No buts," U-Kwon interjected, and pulled her by the wrist, leaving Taeil speechless.

-

"You want me... to do comedic monologues...?" Saeron repeated slowly, making sure she heard everything right.

"Yep," Zico replied nonchalantly, "Kyung's your mentor. Start writing scripts," he instructed before throwing a stack of lined paper in the general direction of Kyung's face.

-

Saeron found her monologue writing surprisingly easy, which was probably thanks to the fact that Saeron had many topics she eagerly wanted to rant about. The hardest part, she found, was making her rants child-friendly.

"Saeron, my dearest, the Euro isn't appropriate. Our target market is seven year olds," Kyung complained, rubbing his temples before looking through her other pieces, "Neither is equality, nor the cost of Starbucks, nor the season finale of Sherlock and the three year hiatus that followed," Kyung tossed all related papers aside, "You need to become one with your inner child. Become one with it. Not comment on it snarkily in the third person, but become one with it."

"And what, precisely, will help that?" Saeron asked, eyebrows furrowing as she realised her current piece about the General Election probably would not make the cut either.

"Watch some cartoons, a few Universal-rated movies, you know. Possibly quote a few Paddington lines, a Curious George saying," Kyung replied, making it look as if he thought everything on that list would make a life-changing difference.

"You absolute weirdo," Saeron muttered, secretly writing down a to-do list on her palm that would unlock her inner toddler.

"Don't you know it," Kyung responded before quietly exiting a small trailor that used to belong to two flappers, but now belonged to Saeron.

Saeron secretly found a strange peace in her new job, but admitting that to the strange circus troop that was her employers would be a Game Set.