The Real One

Almost Like A Dream

I woke up in small room that I have never seen before. There was a water pitcher on the table beside me. I poured myself some water and stared at the glass. So many questions popped into my head, like ‘Where am I?’ and ‘What am I doing here?’ I couldn’t figure out what was going on. Why am I here?

All of the sudden, the door opened. A middle-aged man walked towards me and sat down in the seat in front of me. “I’m sorry if all of that was sudden on you, but we didn’t know what he was capable of doing.” He looked over at the glass I was holding. “It’s alright. It’s not poisoned or anything. I should probably introduce myself to reassure you a little more. I’m Kwangsoo and I work for the government. I could be more specific, but it wouldn’t make any sense to you, so you’ll have to believe me.”

I looked down at the glass of water in my hands, and took a sip. I understand that he can’t tell me much, because it would be a breach of security or something.

He continued to explain. “I’m sure you remember Yori. We saw you two talking to each other.” I was shocked to hear that they knew that. “We have been watching you three for a few months now. You see, Yori used to work for us, but then she disappeared, along with a huge amount of materials and blueprints from one of our departments. We ended up tracking her down and found out that she used that materials to create her own robot; your boyfriend.”

I immediately stood up and headed for the door. Kwangsoo stopped me and said, “You can’t go. He’s being taken apart and researched as we speak.” My eyes widened. I dropped the glass in my hands and began to push my way past him. “NOOOOO!” I screamed. “LEAVE HIM ALONE!” Tears started pouring from my eyes as Kwangsoo held me back. “IT’S TOO LATE!” he yelled back. “Whatever you had with him is over now.” He finished calmly. I fell to the floor and began to sob. So much sorrow overcame me, and the thought that I won’t ever see him again killed me. He meant so much to me, but I never got to tell him that.


It took me a while to get back on my feet, although I was still depressed. After that time I lost Minhyuk, Kwangsoo brought me back home and said that he’ll be back in a month to ask me questions about Yori. I thought I would have been taken away for what I knew, but I figured he was a really nice guy and someone on top.

Kwangsoo did come back, and I told him that I knew nothing about her, and that I still don’t. I told him what she told me about Minhyuk.

“I’m sorry that you got involved in all of this, but this whole situation was a breach of national security. Who knows what would have happened if the robot had gotten into the wrong hands.” I immediately stopped him and said, “His name was Minhyuk.” He gave an ‘I’m sorry’ look. He then corrected himself. “If Minhyuk had gotten into the wrong hands. You can’t tell anyone about any of this, or we’ll have to take you in. You’d never be able to have a normal life, and I don’t want that to happen to you. You just got mixed into this; it’s not your fault.”

He got up and just when he was about to leave, he gave me a bag that he was holding. “They were from when we took you two in.” He said goodbye and left. I opened up the bag and noticed the plushies. I looked at the shark plushie and it with my thumb. I stared at it for a bit, until a smile appeared on my face. What would Minhyuk say if he was with me right now? Would he want me not to be sad?

I picked up the seal plushie he gave me and remembered the words he told me. He’d want me to be happy, but that’s easier said than done.

I took a deep breath and cleared my head. Maybe I should at least try, for Minhyuk’s sake.


I found myself in the park, since there was no one in sight. Not many people come to this park, since it’s out of the way. I have no clue why someone would build a park here, but at the moment I wanted to thank that person. The quiet is always better than noise.

As I walked further into the park, I heard music playing. My curiosity got the better of me, and I found myself walking towards the source of the music.

All of a sudden, I felt a hand place over my shoulder. I turned around and found Yori standing there, with government officials behind her.

“I came to apologise to you.” I was surprised by her words. “They allowed me to come and see you one last time before they take me away.” She sighed and stared into the distance. “I didn’t mean for you to be pulled into this, but when Minhyuk’s attention was drawn to you, I had no choice.” She sighed again. “Okay that was a lie. I could have easily reset his memory, but I didn’t.” She then looked at me in the eyes. “I didn’t because I saw how happy he was making you and vice versa. I wanted to see how everything would go. I initially created him for myself, to cure my loneliness, but I realised that that wasn’t the answer. I want you to realise that too. No matter how happy he made you, you need to remember that all of that is over now, and that you need to move on.”

I looked down and thought about her words. It’s so easy to think those thoughts, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll get through to me.

My thoughts were distracted by the music that I heard before. I didn’t realise that it stopped earlier. Yori grabbed my hand and brought me towards the origin of the music.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Right in front of me was a dancing man, with the exact same face and body as Minhyuk.

Yori smiled at me. “You don’t need to forget about him, but you can move on.”

I took a deep breath and looked at Yori. “Wh-Why is there another Minhyuk?” I asked Yori. She smiled. “Because that is the real Minhyuk.”